• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Zwei is brilliant full stop. One of, if not the best rail shooter ever created.
X-Men is fun and very good but was bettered by every vs title afterwards.
Just go for X-Men vs Street Fighter as an example.

Oh and make sure that when you pick up NiGHTS into Dreams you'll get a 3D controller along with it. Whatever you do, don't play it with a normal controller.

I imported Xmen COTA specifically for that cover art moreso than the actual game itself lol.

Glowsquid

I got my mission stick today and I was dissapointed to find many of the entries on Sega Retro's "supported" list were fake. Unless Road Rash really does natively support it and you have to do something stupid and unintuitive with the controller ports. Dumber things have happened.

As for the controller itself: it does not feel *massively* precise, it has a short throw to my liking and it has a pretty big deadzone, so playing digital-only games feels worse than just using the regular controller. Also there are only three buttons on the stick itself and the rest of the buttons aren't entirely comfortable to reach, even after flipping the stick to match my degenerate left-handed lifestyle. But playing Wing Arms with it is certainly more fun so I guess it does its job.

^thanks for more recommendations. i need the info!

hey SaturnGAF,
whike i was buying the above titles i came across a game title Shinobi for Saturn but passed on it bc i didn't know if it's worth getting.

anyone play it?

I think shinobi legions is a fun 32bit platfomer action game with some charm to it's cheesy fmv. It's also got great music. It controls well and there's some depth to the design.

It's not the greatest thing ever but I was pleasantly surprised by it when I picked it up earlier this year, expecting it to be total trash.

Also I find xmen children of the atom worth it because it's interesting to see Capcom experimenting with the vs series mechanics. Also there are characters in it that exist in marvel 2 but the animation is tons better in xmen. It's interesting to see.

Shinobi on Saturn is still good fun, it feels quite different to the others because it has more focus on sword attacks over shurikin. The animation's actually pretty good as far as digitised graphics go from that era. If you love old 80's Ninja movies like Revenge of the Ninja, the fmv is a good watch as well!

Hey Saturn GAF. Is 45USD+shipping reasonable for a NTSC Sega Saturn+controller. Includes power cable but no A/V Cable. I was thinking paying maybe 60USD? It's a fellow Gaffer so I don't really want to rip him/her off. Would that be a fair price?

If you have a PS2, check out Phantasy Star Complete collection. JP only release but PS 1-4 with English text options... and M2 quality!

crossposting since i learned about it here in the Saturn thread:
as per sixteen bit's recommendation,

i paid 36.99 shipped for it!

my 1st ever JYP ps2 game! Phantasy Star collection has english text for 1-4! 240p!
i thought artwork was creased or worn but no! it was just the plastic case =)

lN8Qbwdh.jpg

z7D3segh.jpg

LPmRjj8h.jpg

JcSyuRwh.jpg

sixteen-bit is getting me to spend money =)
now i need a JYP ps2 system...

IrishNinja

Yeah the later SEGA AGES 2500 are fantastic.

ive only played a small handful (mostly on that disc we got here stateside) but i'm eagerly awaiting the next few MLIG videos, id also love a thread or discussion on these things to know the details

ive only played a small handful (mostly on that disc we got here stateside) but i'm eagerly awaiting the next few MLIG videos, id also love a thread or discussion on these things to know the details

Can't go wrong with any of the M2 developed ones!
http://segaretro.org/M2

Of them, I own Monster World Complete, Phantasy Star Complete, Last Bronx, and Treasure Box. They're amazing!

Sadly, MW4 only has JP text, because the English release didn't come out until later on XBLA and Wii VC :(

I've been having a really bad couple of months and things have started to finally come together this last few weeks and I want to treat myself to a Saturn game. I'm a bit of a collector and have some of the big name titles already. So I've been trying to decide between this bunch. (Cost doesn't factor into it but I can only have one)

Super Tempo
Hyper Duel
Cotton 2
Keio 2
Dodonpachi
Crows
Batsugun
In The Hunt
Shining Force 3

out of this list is there a sure fire hit? Keep in mind I love all genre of games so I don't really have a preference.

crossposting since i learned about it here in the Saturn thread:
as per sixteen bit's recommendation,

i paid 36.99 shipped for it!

my 1st ever JYP ps2 game! Phantasy Star collection has english text for 1-4! 240p!
i thought artwork was creased or worn but no! it was just the plastic case =)

sixteen-bit is getting me to spend money =)
now i need a JYP ps2 system...

Nice!

I've been having a really bad couple of months and things have started to finally come together this last few weeks and I want to treat myself to a Saturn game. I'm a bit of a collector and have some of the big name titles already. So I've been trying to decide between this bunch. (Cost doesn't factor into it but I can only have one)

Super Tempo
Hyper Duel
Cotton 2
Keio 2
Dodonpachi
Crows
Batsugun
In The Hunt
Shining Force 3

out of this list is there a sure fire hit? Keep in mind I love all genre of games so I don't really have a preference.

Shining Force 3 is my favorite game of all time so I'll say that but if you like shooters, Cotton 2 is great as well. SHMUP GAF will probably tell you to get another title.

If you do get Shining Force 3, get the whole trilogy.

crows is quite awful, a title i bought to fill a gap in my collection but really every game on that list should be bought and played before it. also think keio is pretty dire, not nailing either the platforming or shmup gameplay, think im in the minority with that opinion though.

personally i would say batsugun is the pick of the bunch as the game that has bought me the most enjoyment over the years from that list.

Hyper Duel
Batsugun

Super Tempo, Crows, and In the Hunt are easy to toss. Keio 2 is interesting and niche but not a contender. SF3 never impressed me. Cotton 2 isn't as complete as Boomerang. DoDonPachi is easy to get other places.

Of those remaining, Batsugun is probably "the best" for the hardcore shooter crowd but Hyper Duel is my favorite. Technosoft's amazing music, just-right difficulty, and solid 2D graphics.

yeah hyper duel is great. the saturn modes ability to lock your shot direction is such a small revision but is a real game changer, totally elevates the experience and puts it head and shoulders over the arcade version. the presentation is fucking stunning too, same with blast wind and tf v.

I need one for the same reason!
are you looking on ebay?
Yeah the later SEGA AGES 2500 are fantastic.
i need to get more
Can't go wrong with any of the M2 developed ones!
http://segaretro.org/M2

Of them, I own Monster World Complete, Phantasy Star Complete, Last Bronx, and Treasure Box. They're amazing!
Sadly, MW4 only has JP text, because the English release didn't come out until later on XBLA and Wii VC :(
oh more title suggestions, thanks!

Super Tempo
Hyper Duel
Cotton 2
Keio 2
Dodonpachi
Crows
Batsugun
In The Hunt
Shining Force 3

i like in the hunt and shooters. Dodonpachi too.

like Laevateinn's choice:
i also want to get into Shining series.

thanks!

Khaz

Maybe narrow it down to what genre you want to get into for this treat? You want to commit to a shmup that will brutally challenge your skill, traverse a super cute platformer that will make you all warm inside, or spend days immersed in a massive tactical RPG?

I'do go with Keio 2.

Khaz

oh more title suggestions, thanks!

I myself got Virtual-On and Fantasy Zone. Virtual-On is a real treat with the Dual Shock, controlling the mechs with the dual sticks is a blast. Also, 480p. Fantasy Zone is a superb collection, and the inclusion of the arcade version of II makes it worth it alone. It also has a lot of options, and replays by people who are better than you at video games.

I myself got Virtual-On and Fantasy Zone. Virtual-On is a real treat with the Dual Shock, controlling the mechs with the dual sticks is a blast. Also, 480p. Fantasy Zone is a superb collection, and the inclusion of the arcade version of II makes it worth it alone. It also has a lot of options, and replays by people who are better than you at video games.
i got Virtual On that came packed with the JYP saturn i brought. but i want Fantasy Zone collection.
This game is magnificent.
i'll take a look into this title =)

Hey SaturnGAF,
i'm so happy this came in the mail today =)

Uw0GuOch.jpg

fpzLTdSh.jpg

eXKHx9bh.jpg

This week just took a huge chunk of money out of my wallet.

Just for the Saturn, I got:

Blast Wind
Thunder Force Gold Pack Vol.2
Street Fighter Zero 3
Detana TwinBee Yahoo! Deluxe Pack
Galaxy Force 2

There's more on the table too, depending whether or not my best offers are accepted.

In case some people are curious, I also purchased the following on other consoles:

Deathsmiles on 360
Otomedius Excellent on 360
Akai katana on 360
Raiden Fighters Aces on 360
Raiden IV on 360
Dodonpachi Ressurection on 360
Soul Calibur on DC

Only received Otomedius Excellent so far lol

Super Tempo
Hyper Duel
Cotton 2
Keio 2
Dodonpachi
Crows
Batsugun
In The Hunt
Shining Force 3

There are a few I do not own (Super Tempo, Keio 2, Crows and Shining Force 3), but as for the rest, They are all astonishing games.

Hyper Duel is probably the most costly option of the bunch, but there is a reason for that. Only 8000 copies or so were ever printed. The fact that it's a pure blast of a game while having an exclusive saturn mode superior to its arcade counterpart doesn't help for the scarcity factor. The price of admission is high, but it's worth every penny in my opinion since this specific game only takes value, quicker than the majority.

Cotton 2 sports fantastic graphics with great sprites work, nice animations and quite unique gameplay with the magic power-ups and grab / seal ability. It's a bit on the easy side though with the energy bar and the sealing mechanic, making it one of the easiest to 1CC. This one serves well as to demonstrates the 2D capabilities of the Saturn. It's one of the cheaper games on your list. It's also much cheaper than Hyper Duel or Batsugun.

Dodonpachi is perhaps my favorite of the bunch. It's also my favorite game from the series. It is not however my favorite version of the game. The Saturn version had some chunky, pixelated effects such as the explosions and the overall display is zoomed out, causing a permanent shimmering effect on your TV. there are options to scale it properly, but then you either lose a part of the screen or you enable vertical scrolling. It's up to you. However, if you have a dedicated tate TV then this won't be a problem. Now let's put the technical stuff aside and let me say that I ADORE the gameplay. I love manic shmups and I think Dodonpachi has the perfect mix of difficulty, addiction, fun and fairness. At first it feels easy. After, it's infuriatingly hard. Then, like any other shmup, you start to learn the game and it gets satisfying to the point that you'll want to master the chain system. Red ship is the best ship. Best OST of the bunch. This game is easy to afford. Of all the games on your list that I own, It's the second cheapest.

Batsugun is a good mix between slower vertical shmup and manic style, cave shooters. the weapons system is good, really good. It boosts your arsenal incrementally every time you obtain a power-up then once you complete a "bar", you level up your weapon. I really love the flow of this game and the soundtrack has an option to select either the original or the remixed one. Love the game!

Finally, Katei Daisensou (In the Hunt) is quite unique. As you are probably aware, the game takes place in water. The thing is.... While you are under-water, you still need to take care of everything above it. This includes helicopters, planes, boats, etc. I really like how the art style of the game reminds me of Metal Slug, albeit not as greatly animated. Be prepared for the fact that the saturn version slows down a lot though. Like, A LOT. If you think this could bother you, you should probably hunt the PS1 version instead since it has the same graphics without the slowdowns. It's cheapest game of your list too so acquiring it won't cost you a lot. Good game!

Thanks for the replies guys, I have narrowed it down to In the Hunt and Hyper Duel. I remember playing a little bit of in the hunt in the arcade years ago and was blown away by how beautiful it looked, was very like an SNK joint. Although I have seen a lot of forum posts talking about how it has boot issues on some models of a Saturn or dodgy pressings?

Does anyone have any more info on this thats more detailed than guesswork?

Thanks for the replies guys, I have narrowed it down to In the Hunt and Hyper Duel. I remember playing a little bit of in the hunt in the arcade years ago and was blown away by how beautiful it looked, was very like an SNK joint. Although I have seen a lot of forum posts talking about how it has boot issues on some models of a Saturn or dodgy pressings?

Does anyone have any more info on this thats more detailed than guesswork?

Yes, some copies will not boot unless you plug the controller into port 2 instead of port 1.

But IMO you'd be crazy to buy In the Hunt over Hyper Duel.

Saoshyant

Yeah, my PAL copy of In the Hunt does that second pad thingy, it's really weird. Otherwise I haven't noticed anything wrong with it.

MikeMyers

If I remember correctly Scud was a Sega of America production.

I wonder how many SoA-produced games there are on the Saturn? Bug, Mr. Bones, and Three Dirty Dwarves all come to mind.

eXistor

Funny that everyone is mentioning Hyper Duel all of a sudden as I've been seriously thinking about getting a copy. I'd have to break my "never spend more than €200,- on one game" rule though. Does anyone have any good leads as where to get a copy for less than what I'm seeing online? If I could find it for €300, I'd probably buy it in an instant.

Glowsquid

If I remember correctly Scud was a Sega of America production.

I wonder how many SoA-produced games there are on the Saturn? Bug, Mr. Bones, and Three Dirty Dwarves all come to mind.

Those and

Bug Too!
Black Fire
Congo Lost city of something
Ghen War

also AMOK and some sport games

Funny that everyone is mentioning Hyper Duel all of a sudden as I've been seriously thinking about getting a copy. I'd have to break my "never spend more than €200,- on one game" rule though. Does anyone have any good leads as where to get a copy for less than what I'm seeing online? If I could find it for €300, I'd probably buy it in an instant.

You could try winning an auction at Yahoo Auctions Japan. They have this forwarding service called Buyee on there for international bidders.

ACESmkII

XATKcrE.jpg

Some of my most played titles of my Saturn collection. It's a shame more people can't play Hyper Duel as it's an absolutely stellar shooter and one of my all time favorites.

Top Bottom