• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Yes, but a lot of them focuses on remembering enemy patterns, spawning and such. I had to do that to beat and 1CC some as well.

i hear ya,

guys! i just brought Layer Section of ebay! finally!!! i get to play this. (one of the main reasons i brought a saturn) now to get Layer Section II =)

koopas

yeah ,though i'd rather put the money toward shooters.
i can't wait till the saturn gets here!
There's very few great games for the Saturn that's you'll find for a good price (on eBay anyways). The Saturn is definitely not a cheap system to collect for by any means.

Layer Section is a great buy. One of the best shooters that can still be had for a decent price.

Timu

i hear ya,

guys! i just brought Layer Section of ebay! finally!!! i get to play this. (one of the main reasons i brought a saturn) now to get Layer Section II =)
Nice, those are great games, you'll really enjoy them!

Never said there wasn't. But I prefer the quick, pickup and play of a shooter to a platformer. As I get older, my attention span for these games are dwindling lol
Ok, fair enough. However, it's the opposite for me when I get older.=p

i hear ya,

Layer Section is fantastic. Also try to play it tate as the graphic effects show properly in that mode (and look more striking quite honestly). Gotta love that awesome Zuntata OST.

Hands-On-Super-Tempo-1.jpg

docfuture's let's play is so great, lol

I wonder what the fastest possible time in Sega Rally even is?

from Guinness Book of World Records.

The fastest completion of the Desert course on SEGA Rally Championship for Saturn is 2 min 30.73 sec by Justin Towell (UK) at the offices of Gamesradar, Bath, UK on 29 January 2009. Justin read the score in the scoreboards section of the 2009 Gamer's Edition, and applied to beat the record. His final time is just 0.07 seconds faster than the previous record, held by Cristiano T. Assumpcao (Brazil).

It's the most fun to go for the 3 course total time and in arcade mode (screw Lakeside).
The game's AI (or lack of) means as you get better, you have to deal with overtaking each CPU car at different points on the track, so just driving faster isn't enough, sometimes you'll have to make a sudden adjustment if you're racing particularly well! It's also a good measure (along with split times) of how you're going compared to your best.
Going for all 3 courses leaves more room for improvement and mastery!

Hey SaturnGAF,
my system came in today! got it for 68 shipped with virtua on. after using an ebay 15 of 75 coupon.
incoming new hardware pics so there's going to be a few over the excitement =)
GokpHlBh.jpg

WomKuUAh.jpg

l3IuK7Rh.jpg

gPmIXpbh.jpg

pXnhXJNh.jpg

oiC2hSFh.jpg

dPP55WGh.jpg

alf717

So after watching the Saturn MLiG video I think I might have an old cable that has swapped Left and Right channels. Can anyone recommend a game that lets you do an AV test with the Saturn?

Also welcome to the Saturn club davidwhangchoi. =)

So after watching the Saturn MLiG video I think I might have an old cable that has swapped Left and Right channels. Can anyone recommend a game that lets you do an AV test with the Saturn?

I can't think of anything off hand but you could always burn an audio cd

Grats on the saturn! Pop a new battery in there first thing.

Congrats David! Cool mark 1 model of the Jap Saturn!

Welcome to the saturn David!
thanks all!!!

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Google, eBay, and Amazon are failing me.

I would like to use an official 6-button Saturn controller on my PC with minimal or no input lag, for Sonic Mania.

Trying to make certain that the controller you're buying is legit is impossible; and the various converters seem to be deceiving, too. There are some USB Saturn controllers - are those just as good as official ones?

If anyone has any links on where to buy (or what to buy), I'd be appreciative. I know it might cost me a pretty penny; but Sonic Mania is probably my third favorite game of this gen (behind Bloodborne and BOTW), and I want to reply it the most "proper" way possible.

meppi

Zwei is brilliant full stop. One of, if not the best rail shooter ever created.
X-Men is fun and very good but was bettered by every vs title afterwards.
Just go for X-Men vs Street Fighter as an example.

Oh and make sure that when you pick up NiGHTS into Dreams you'll get a 3D controller along with it. Whatever you do, don't play it with a normal controller.

MikeMyers

Gotcha! i'll pick them up since they're cheap.

SaturnGAF, i picked up 2 JYP titles today on my local retro store:
i hope they're good!

https://i.imgur.com/cI0C5HDh.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
Zwei is a Saturn classic.

Another cheap classic is Virtua Cop. Alternatively there is House of the Dead, which is like Virtua Cop but horror themed.

If youre are willing to get another fighting game there's Fighters Megamix, a cross over fighter between various Sega franchises. Even has the Daytona car.

Die Hard Arcade is with looking into if you want a beat em up.

^thanks for more recommendations. i need the info!

hey SaturnGAF,
whike i was buying the above titles i came across a game title Shinobi for Saturn but passed on it bc i didn't know if it's worth getting.

anyone play it?

hey SaturnGAF,
whike i was buying the above titles i came across a game title Shinobi for Saturn but passed on it bc i didn't know if it's worth getting.

anyone play it?

It's not that great. Get it if you find it for a good price but don't expect anything near the same quality as the Genesis titles.

It does have this weird sockpuppet dinosaur that always makes me laugh though.

hqdefault.jpg

koopas

hey SaturnGAF,

anyone play it?
Id say if you can get it for cheap yes. It's my least favorite Shinobi game by a large margin.

I've often thought of buying Shinobi Legions, but I can't really justify it from the semi-high amount it goes for when I haven't beat Revenge and PS2, and those are actually good Shinobi games.

eXistor

Shinobi X is pretty good imo (that's what it's called in Europe), the controls are fine and smooth and it's certainly worth a playthrough or two, but it doesn't hold a candle to Revenge or III. The live-action bits are hilarious though.

IrishNinja

i just can't quit on Shadow Dancer, love that game

It's not that great. Get it if you find it for a good price but don't expect anything near the same quality as the Genesis titles.

It does have this weird sockpuppet dinosaur that always makes me laugh though.

hqdefault.jpg

haha now i really gotta get back to Legions - yeah it's not the best but reviews at the time made me think it'd be far worse, it does feel like a proper shinobi title

Shinobi GG is the secret star of the series.

so mad at myself for passing on this one as a kid - columns was cheaper though!

meppi

For whatever reason, Shadow Warrior on Mega Drive remains my favourite in the series despite plenty of people trying to convince me the game isn't even that good.

MikeMyers

Either way it's still a toss up between Shinobi or VF for Sega's best franchise.

Though, at this point we're more likely to get another Shinobi than VF lol.

Top Bottom