• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

colonyoo

I got some nice Saturn pickups recently!

The first was Soul Hackers, which I picked up entirely because it goes for dirt cheap and I really like the game, even if I'm unlikely to ever play anything but the 3DS port. I didn't go for CIB or anything so I was really surprised to get the collectible card with it!

DGHnU-bVwAALV9u.jpg

The really cool pickup was the Utena VN. It was another game that went for fairly cheap and I recently watched the series and enjoyed it a ton so I thought I'd just pick it up to have alongside the fan translation patched discs and this easily turned out to be one of my favorite pickups yet! None of the listings I looked at mentioned the cards at all so they were a really nice surprise, and while I knew it included some production art, I didn't think it'd be in a book twice as thick as the game manual, there's TONS of super good stuff in here.

Definitely aiming to pick up that Gundam Side Story trilogy next since that's another franchise I've been diving into lately.

Khaz

Has anyone tried Gundam with the Twin Stick? The manual says you can. Is it as awesome as Virtual On?

I don't need yet another peripheral in my life :(

Also damn, I really like the feel of these booklet-cases.

[edit] LOL Street Racer has PS1 screenshots in its manual!

so get the one that's (almost) double the price?
edit: this is the cable:
Sega Saturn RGB SCART PACKAPUNCH PRO CABLE

Do you know which model saturn you're getting? There's some slight differences between the model 1 and model 2. Honestly with the sync on luma you probably won't notice a difference between it and c-sync. I could be remembering wrong but I think with model 2's its easier to go sync on luma.

All the info is in the My Life in Gaming Saturn episode though so check that out. I will also second Retro Gaming Cables, all of my stuff but 1 cable is from them and its all been solid.

*EDIT*

You don't need to go with the packapunch line, it just means everything is extra shielded but it's not necessary, plus the packapunch line is currently sold out for Saturn, so you couldn't order that cable anyway.

And it looks like they have cables that will work with both Model 1 and 2s so never mind my first bit.

You need to go to this page.

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sega/saturn/Saturn-NTSC-rgb-scart-cables

You'll see 3 choices, one is C-Sync regular cable, and the other is sync on luma regular cable, and then the packapunch ones. Either of the first 2 choices will be fine for you.

Do you know which model saturn you're getting? There's some slight differences between the model 1 and model 2. Honestly with the sync on luma you probably won't notice a difference between it and c-sync. I could be remembering wrong but I think with model 2's its easier to go sync on luma.

All the info is in the My Life in Gaming Saturn episode though so check that out. I will also second Retro Gaming Cables, all of my stuff but 1 cable is from them and its all been solid.

i ordered a grey system oval buttons so i believe it's model 1, i was planning to get C-sync but there's two different kinds.

the packapunch cable has both options sync on luma and C-sync. i just want to confirm if it's worth getting over the standard cable before ordering.

*EDIT*

You don't need to go with the packapunch line, it just means everything is extra shielded but it's not necessary, plus the packapunch line is currently sold out for Saturn, so you couldn't order that cable anyway.

And it looks like they have cables that will work with both Model 1 and 2s so never mind my first bit.

You need to go to this page.

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sega/saturn/Saturn-NTSC-rgb-scart-cables

You'll see 3 choices, one is C-Sync regular cable, and the other is sync on luma regular cable, and then the packapunch ones. Either of the first 2 choices will be fine for you.
thanks Shin Johnpv!
ok, i'm going to order the normal scart cable.

one more question: should i get this option:
RCA / PHONO Audio Breakout whilst still maintaining audio through SCART?

there's an option to say no.

That depends on your set up. Do you need separate RCA audio connectors for your set up? I run everything through the scart head so I don't get separate RCA Audio break outs. Some people only run video through the scart head, and audio into something else, so they RCA Audio break out is handy for them. How is your stuff set up?

That depends on your set up. Do you need separate RCA audio connectors for your set up? I run everything through the scart head so I don't get separate RCA Audio break outs. Some people only run video through the scart head, and audio into something else, so they RCA Audio break out is handy for them. How is your stuff set up?

i have scart cables connect one at a time to this cable that i got from the ebay retro accessoires:
6QxlR8gh.jpg

Any recommendations for relatively simple / easy 2D platformers on Saturn?

I finished a run-through of Super Metroid yesterday and want some more straightforward games as a palate cleanser.

eXistor

Saturn has shitty platformers. MM 8 might be the best one and ain't no one standing in line for Megaman 8.

I've just played and finished it on the Legacy Collection 2 for the first time and I actually was surprised at how fun it was. My biggest complaint is the music, which I thought was completely terrible.

From my vantage point, most people prefer the Genesis soundtrack.

Except me. I definitely prefer the Saturn one. Like, Tatsuyuki Maeda's contributions to the Genesis one are ace (Rusty Ruin, Diamond Dust, Volcano Valley, Gene Gadget, Panic Puppet 2), but Jun Senoue's contributions are either hit (Green Grove, Panic Puppet 1) or miss (Spring Stadium and the Special Stage tracks sound like they're meandering all over the goddamn place and fall completely flat as a result), while I thought Jacques' soundtrack was solid all the way throughout, trying out several different genres of music with aplomb (well, YMMV on Spring Stadium 2, but I love it). His Rusty Ruin tracks are some of my favorite music in the entire series.

The load times are definitely naff, though. Admittedly, my first experience with Sonic 3D was the old Windows 98 version, which didn't have loading times nearly as long, but kept the Jacques soundtrack (though it did lose out on the fog effects, the background layer of Final Fight, and the Special Stages were a bit neutered compared to the Saturn version).

Admittedly, my first experience with Sonic 3D was the old Windows 98 version, which didn't have loading times nearly as long, but kept the Jacques soundtrack (though it did lose out on the fog effects, the background layer of Final Fight, and the Special Stages were a bit neutered compared to the Saturn version).

Ha, me too! On my Aunt's computer, along with Slingo. :)

MikeMyers

I like the graphics and Special Stages in Saturn 3D Blast better. Plus using the NiGHTS controller is a lot better than using the Mega Drive controller for the game.

Only drawback for me is the loading times.

Agree. Much more replayablility with a shooter, than a platformer obviously.
yeah, i like the way you think.

There are platformers that are replayable!

Also shooters focuses more on memorization.=p
there are some that are random like Zanac.

there's one that is pure skill and takes hand eye coordination. impossible to memorize patterns.
if you have mame, take a look at "Halley's Comet 87" no patterns the same and it takes some skill to get far. i love it.

Timu

there are some that are random like Zanac.

there's one that is pure skill and takes hand eye coordination. impossible to memorize patterns.
if you have mame, take a look at "Halley's Comet 87" no patterns the same and it takes some skill to get far. i love it.
Yes, but a lot of them focuses on remembering enemy patterns, spawning and such. I had to do that to beat and 1CC some as well.

Top Bottom