• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Celine

certainly after FF7 being released on the sony platform RPGs became big business right ?
Not true.
In US the boom was mainly for Squaresoft JRPGs and some other exception like Legend of Dragoon (which was pushed by the hardware manufacturer).
All the other JRPG sold less than 200K in US.
The big change after Final Fantasy VII was that in the hope to cash on some Squaresoft success japanese publishers began translating in english a far bigger number of JRPG than what happened before.

IrishNinja

yeah, FF VII's big legacy was knocking down the doors & kinda rebuffing the old yamauichi/stoler notions that RPGs were only for a small group of basement dwellers. it's not like legend of legaia or albert odyssey sold gangbusters, just that you went from 16-bit era of getting a few a year (if that, and major releases could still get ignored) to tons of stuff being given a chance, which continued into the PS2 era as well. shame we've kinda gone back a bit since then.

MikeMyers

I think what gets overlooked the most in these discussions is Sports games. They've always been a huge deal for casuals but rarely ever get mentioned.

Timu

I think what gets overlooked the most in these discussions is Sports games. They've always been a huge deal for casuals but rarely ever get mentioned.
Yep, so true, and I do like to play sports games as well. I prefer arcadey sports games more though.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Vaguely remember that we shouldnt exchange rgb-scart cables across pal and ntsc for the Saturn, is that correct? Why is that?

Khaz

Vaguely remember that we shouldnt exchange rgb-scart cables across pal and ntsc for the Saturn, is that correct? Why is that?

There's a pinout difference, PAL consoles output +9V on pin 1 whereas NTSC consoles output CSYNC. It's better to use a cable made for your specific console/TV combo (having +9V to get the European TV in the proper aspect ratio is cool), but a "universal" cable that uses Luma or Video as Sync and doesn't connect pin 1 works fine too. You shouldn't get interference with Luma as Sync.

The unforgettable Daytona USA

I got a new TV the other day and tried some Daytona, PS3 and Saturn. Saturn doesn't look as good :D Still nice through RGB & Framemeister though!

7vscyye.jpg

t8InvVj.jpg

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
There's a pinout difference, PAL consoles output +9V on pin 1 whereas NTSC consoles output CSYNC. It's better to use a cable made for your specific console/TV combo (having +9V to get the European TV in the proper aspect ratio is cool), but a "universal" cable that uses Luma or Video as Sync and doesn't connect pin 1 works fine too. You shouldn't get interference with Luma as Sync.

RIght, thanks for the help!

MikeMyers

The strange thing is I rarely ever saw any Saturn games in video stores, yet I remember seeing Mega Drive games still on rent/sale in the late 90s.

The strange thing is I rarely ever saw any Saturn games in video stores, yet I remember seeing Mega Drive games still on rent/sale in the late 90s.

I found a decent amount of Saturn titles at local video rentals.

I remember the clerk at blockbuster asking me if I really wanted to rent a Saturn game. Fuck you. This is why your company went out of business. I'm still angry about that to this day.

finally beat it like a year or two ago, need to go back in for the other paths
Orta's next though

Wish Orta was on another platform.

Galdelico

^^^ One of those is secretly very very high on my Saturn's top 10.
No, it's not Vampire Savior.
It's not Princess Crown either.

Coda

^^^ One of those is secretly very very high on my Saturn's top 10.
No, it's not Vampire Savior.
It's not Princess Crown either.

Haha yeah Astra Superstars is incredible. Most interesting fighting game I've ever played I'd say, the whole aerial aspect was really something unique; helps that the visual effects are pretty damn fantastic as well.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
9vzUpFY.jpg

Gekirindan Get! Only $80 on eBay. The scrolling takes a bit to get used to but I like it.

Galdelico

Haha yeah Astra Superstars is incredible. Most interesting fighting game I've ever played I'd say, the whole aerial aspect was really something unique; helps that the visual effects are pretty damn fantastic as well.
I really can't think about so many other games as bouncy and flashy. It's beautiful.
Elan Doree is another one that tried the aerial route, but unfortunately (that's my opinion, of course) with way less impressive results.

meppi

9vzUpFY.jpg

Gekirindan Get! Only $80 on eBay. The scrolling takes a bit to get used to but I like it.

Bought A copies of the game in 2001, one for myself and one for a friend who was heavily getting into Sega Saturn imports as well at the time.
He absolutely hated it and called it the worst game he had in his collection.
I've always had a soft spot, even for the Saturn port which might not be ideal.
Even though the game is rather primitive, I just love playing it. The music helps a great deal as well even though the soundtrack is rather limited.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Bought A copies of the game in 2001, one for myself and one for a friend who was heavily getting into Sega Saturn imports as well at the time.
He absolutely hated it and called it the worst game he had in his collection.
I've always had a soft spot, even for the Saturn port which might not be ideal.
Even though the game is rather primitive, I just love playing it. The music helps a great deal as well even though the soundtrack is rather limited.

I can see why someone wouldn't like it that scrolling leads you to missing a lot of stuff. Some times I was fighting bosses that were barely on the screen.

At its current asking price of 180-250 I'd say hard pass but I can't pass up a deal .

Next on my hit list is Batsugun! Come on eBay!!

meppi

Oh, Batsugun certainly is a hot one. Still one of my favourite shooters. :D

Got the same reaction from him back in the day regarding Gardian Force, probably because it wasn't your standard scrolling shooter.
Really loved that game myself as well, even though it's not quite perfect.

Seeing all those games prices go up like that is so crazy.
Even though I was lucky and was able to buy them all at retail prices more or less, I still wish todays prices were the same.
The only good it does if for collectors trying to unload a set, while the people wanting the games have to pay way too much.

Shame this never got translated... Seriously SEGA of America!!!

Sega%20Ages%20-%20Phantasy%20Star%20Collection%20%28J%29%20Front.jpg

That Polystars looks awesome. I was wondering why Konami never ported that onto the psx or saturn but then even though the game has simple polys those transparency effects might be a bit hard for the saturn to do...

If you have a PS2, check out Phantasy Star Complete collection. JP only release but PS 1-4 with English text options... and M2 quality!

I'm pretty sure Dark Phallus isn't. I think it includes less artwork. Actually, I rarely use my PS2 so I could be completely wrong. I feel like there was less when I checked last.

PS2 version does include QoL enhancements though which is nice.

Edit: when I was getting my tattoo, I used the Saturn version more as a reference instead of the PS2. I think I remember it being better then.

That genesis collection does 480p, but yeah, 240p is better for those games.
hey all, thanks to your discussion i brought Sega Ages Phantasy Star Collection this morning off ebay. i can't wait for it to come.
now i need to find a JYP PS2. Been looking for a Saturn too, waiting for the perfect time/package.

KC-Slater

This is sort of a Saturn-adjacent post; I saw Daytona 3 in the wild on Thursday! It looked fun as hell, but it doesn't have a 4-way shifter(!)

I didn't get to play it unfortunately because I was in a bit of a hurray, but I plan on going back to give it a spin.

woodypop

finally beat it like a year or two ago, need to go back in for the other paths
Orta's next though
Only "a year or two ago"--what took so long, man?! Have you been in a coma? lol
The thumping bass during the the final boss battle always gets me pumped. Fantastic music all around. Love PD Zwei so much.

Full disclosure: I still haven't put any serious time into PD Saga
even though I've had it for like 15 years

Wish Orta was on another platform.
I really should pop PD Orta into my 360 and work on finishing it. (Too bad 360 BC isn't more comprehensive. Stuff like Taito Legends, Tecmo Classic Arcade, Capcom vs SNK, and SvC Chaos are all MIA.)

Timu

I really should pop PD Orta into my 360 and work on finishing it. (Too bad 360 BC isn't more comprehensive. Stuff like Taito Legends, Tecmo Classic Arcade, Capcom vs SNK, and SvC Chaos are all MIA.)
You can play Tecmo Classic Arcade on 360(though you need to set the console to 480p for the game to work).

Wow Gundam Side Trilogy looks fantastic 0_0. I'll have to check it out

edit:looks like there's one locally but the seller is charging $10 shipping and lives like 15 minutes from me. I'd rather just pick it up :(

I'm picking up a cheap Saturn locally and apparently is doesn't always boot, has some power connector issues and sometimes turns off after 15 minutes of use. Anyone know any good guides for saturn repairing?

Khaz

I'm picking up a cheap Saturn locally and apparently is doesn't always boot, has some power connector issues and sometimes turns off after 15 minutes of use. Anyone know any good guides for saturn repairing?

The power connector may be loose, some solder joints in the PSU may be in need of some reflow. Do you know how to use a soldering iron?

I started buying Saturn games again!

I picked up Gundam Side Story (1,2,3) because of you guys. I know nothing about Gundam lol but the gifs were amazing! Also I'm a sucker for cool packaging, and the book style cardboard case is very nice. I looked at the price of the complete The blue destiny release and very quickly decided it wasn't worth it. Apparently it contains an extra disc that contains some pictures and commercials? Gundam fans seem to really value it.

And Policenauts, to house a translated copy. Again, super cool packaging.

And Clockwork Knight double pack! I never got to play either game seriously when I got the PAL releases a few years ago, even though I spent a lot of time playing the demo when it was fresh. The idea of having both on a single disc, and using the same engine, is cool, as if it were the full release of an episodic game.

And Street Racer, because I wanted a Mario Kart-like for the console? I'm not sure tbh, it's an intriguing game: not really 2D nor 3D, not visually impressive at a time when Daytona USA was around and everybody was waiting for Sega Rally. I wanted to get Gale Racer too but someone bought it before I could confirm my payment :(

Can't wait for them to show up!

Top Bottom