• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

If I could I'd swap it for Batsugun or Gekirindan. Might ebay it in a while and try to do that if I don't warm up to it soon.

Gekirindan is an absolutely terrible port (loads of stuttering and pauses to load before bosses, missing rotation effects, enemy's firing before being onscreen), perhaps the worst on the console, avoid unless you are trying to collect all the STG's on the system.

Yeah I suppose a lot of folks just pick Saturn mode, play it like an RPG and grind through it.

Saturn mode was a godsend, chaining in arcade mode to upgrade weapons and progress is too hard for a scrub like me. I still love the game though, a beautiful showcase on both an audio and visual level. If we are talking about overrated shmups by Treasure then Ikaruga gets my vote...

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Gekirindan is an absolutely terrible port (loads of stuttering and pauses to load before bosses, missing rotation effects, enemy's firing before being onscreen), perhaps the worst on the console, avoid unless you are trying to collect all the STG's on the system.

Saturn mode was a godsend, chaining in arcade mode to upgrade weapons and progress is too hard for a scrub like me. I still love the game though, a beautiful showcase on both an audio and visual level. If we are talking about overrated shmups by Treasure then Ikaruga gets my vote...

Thanks for the heads up, it's still on my list but won't get it unless I see it for a low price. List is getting short and all the games are getting $$$

I'll keep at Radiant Slivergun, kinda feels wrong to collect saturn stuff and not have it lol

Honestly don't see what the fuss is about. It kinda on the hard side for me (not really great at shoot em ups even though I like them) and graphics don't hold up like the 2d games. If I could I'd swap it for Batsugun or Gekirindan. Might ebay it in a while and try to do that if I don't warm up to it soon.

I loved shoot em ups in general growing up and when I first laid my eyes on it the visual style of Radiant Silvergun blew me away. It was really distinct looking for a shooter(especially back then) and what drew me to play it in the first place. The weapon system was reallyyyy unique and I enjoyed the chaining system a lot. That being said Ikaragu is still my fav game in the whole genre.

Maybe it seems that way now, but when it was new, it felt like a revelation. It has thw great quality of making you FEEL like you are amazing at shooters. Friends used to come over just to play it back in '99. It really felt amazing at the time.

I wish I was your friend back then lol. I only got to initially play it on an arcade machine when I went on a vacation to India. Wanted to play it for years after that.

KC-Slater

I could never get into the aesthetics of Silvergun.

I have no idea where it falls on the spectrum of "1337" shmups, but DoDonPachi is my favourite. I love the visuals, casual-friendly difficulty and the soundtrack rules.

I could never get into the aesthetics of Silvergun.

I have no idea where it falls on the spectrum of "1337" shmups, but DoDonPachi is my favourite. I love the visuals, casual-friendly difficulty and the soundtrack rules.

i never player silvergun. i heard so much about it but never got a chance...

Peltz

I'm a big treasure fan but found RS to just be okay. I only played it for a very short time though.

Ikaruga felt way more interesting to me.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Ikaruga is twice the game that Silvergun is, but I think Silvergun is still pretty fun.

Guardian Heroes is an incredible proof-of-concept for how to properly mix 4+ simultaneous players with traditional fighting game controls and beat-em-up gameplay. To this day, I lament that no mainstream fighting game developer has yet to shamelessly rip-off the formula. It has so much potential.

FWIW, the XBLA re-release of Guardian Heroes at least refined the gameplay to the point where it can arguably stand on its own as a great (if still busted) fighting game.

Glowsquid

Does the US version of Thunderstrike 2 (aka Thunderhawk 2: Firestorm) support the Mission Stick? There are mixed reports about it on the internet.

piggychan

I suck at all shooters so I think Silvergun is fun.

It's still pretty tough as shmup's go.

The RPG leveling is a great addition to the bullet system. I personally love it and back then I didn't have the hype thrown in my face so my expectations was that this was an arcade port with extras and being this was one of the few titles that came out when the saturn was just about dying off I was jubilant.

Also most shmups are pretty short and tense affairs. RS takes this into the 3+ hour territory throwing drama and a head spinning story mixed with time traveling. Being in this tense gaming session for several hours is kinda draining but satisfying too.

But regarding Treasure games I've said this before you either love them or hate them I find there is no in between.

Mzo

Radiant Silvergun on Saturn mode has that problem where it's too difficult if you're not leveled enough and too easy when you're too powerful. It was fun to play an STG with RPG elements, though. You could also potentially learn the chains to level up faster and make it through arcade mode but that seemed way too hard for such a long game.

RS takes this into the 3+ hour territory throwing drama and a head spinning story mixed with time traveling. Being in this tense gaming session for several hours is kinda draining but satisfying too.

arcade mode is roughly 50 minutes long and saturn mode takes around 70 minutes once you are sufficiently powered up, nothing like 3+ hours.

Sega Saturn

Neo Member
Ikaruga is definitely better than Silvergun but it's still an interesting thing to play if you're in to that genre. I do like the aesthetics, it has a certain grit to it that could only be on 5th generations consoles

AmyS

I always associated Terra Phantastica with what I had envisioned for Phantasy Star V on Saturn, because of GameFan. I specifically remember this:

NwKneE1.jpg

No wonder...

That's from GameFan volume 5 issue 1 - January 1997.

OkpgDUK.jpg

so I fucked around and made this mock-up since I love the minimalist style of early Saturn box arts (they're like a less corny version of Master System art)

This is fantastic! I thought about making my own, but I've been lazy. You sir have inspired me though.

Saturn finally got its killer app.

EDIT: Makes me wonder. To anyone who did own a Saturn in the 90s, what did you buy it for?

Daytona, Diehard Arcade, Virtua Fighter, Virtua Cop, Nights and Panzer Dragoon to name a few. I didn't pickup my Saturn until 97, but like everyone else I was baffled they didn't have a Sonic title.

FN-2187

EDIT: Makes me wonder. To anyone who did own a Saturn in the 90s, what did you buy it for?

I bought my Saturn near launch. I was a massive Sega fan, so I had confidence that there would be an endless stream of great games released for it (including Sonic games of course!).

Of the games that were out between launch and Christmas, the ones I was most excited about were Virtua Fighter, Daytona USA, World Series Baseball, Clockwork Knight and Solar Eclipse of all things (my friend had a 3DO and we both thought Total Eclipse was awesome).

StevieWhite

Tbh, I was a broke HS kid, and it came with three free games. That's really all there was to it, so I asked for it for Christmas. My older brother gabe me Guardian Heroes the same Xmas I got it, and I never looked back.

My dad got me a Saturn for Christmas in 95. I wanted it because it was Sega's next console. I mostly wanted it for the next Shining game but at launch wanted it for Bug, Clockwork Knight and Daytona. Panzer Dragoon turned out to be the unexpected favorite.

I was obsessed with Sonic as a kid but I can't remember if I was ever disappointed that Xtreme was canceled. I was extremely happy with the games I did get.

piggychan

VF2 I imported it along with a japanese sega saturn back I think winter 95

GameFan's coverage of Parodius Deluxe Pack for Saturn!

And now I have mine :)

VNq4KYy.jpg

btw love parodius and grats on that. I managed to play the arcade version as one of the arcade centers in my city center had imported 3 of these boards and I put a lot of money in them. The pc engine was the first home port I bought followed soon by the super famicom version and I'm pretty sure the saturn version I got the UK release as soon as these import shops started offering region free and RGB modding services.

low-G

I already had PS & N64. I rented a Saturn and Virtua Fighter 2 stuck in my mind. Also playing Sega's arcade games like Daytona USA & Virtual On blew my mind. Needed a home version of those. I knew the home version would be inferior, but the Saturn versions fulfilled my desire pretty well.

This was after the big holiday price drop too.

IrishNinja

so I fucked around and made this mock-up since I love the minimalist style of early Saturn box arts (they're like a less corny version of Master System art)

i adore this, but pls don't call SMS art style corny

Almost as good as Oneida's Sonic Jam custom cover.

not everyone can go to the moutaintop, 16-bits

Heres my attempt.

i love this, and wish i could like your posts featuring it harder

The Sega Saturn is such a magnificent device.

amen

eXistor

Well now I own it too. I have to admit I don't particularly care for Ikaruga, found it too gimmicky and felt like more of a puzzle game than a shoot 'em up, so I wonder what I'll think of RS. Very divided opinions on it I see.

k8DPCKj.jpg

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

My house was a Sega house so we just got everything sega. Bought it at launch, had to borrow money from my Grandfather to pay for it since didn't have time to save. Ended up planting fence post all summer to repay it. Daytona, Virtua Fightere and Panzer Dragoon were god like to my teen age brain.

Didn't get a PS1 until almost a year and a half later, took advantage of Toy R Us lax return policy and "returned" 2 sega nomads we got years before.

Laws00

I didn't own a Saturn in the 90s I bought my friends Saturn who had gotten it in the 90s so I know what he owned and got

He got the system that came with 3 games.

Daytona USA
Virtua Fighter 2
Virtua Cop 1

And he got Nights into dreams

eXistor

We were kinda lucky, because my brother worked at Dixons and we were able to just lend games all the times and when the Saturn was on its way out we just bought all the leftover stock for basically nothing. It sounds better than it was though, there wasn't a lot left and they were mostly mediocre games, but hey there were a few good ones in there like Shinobi X and Pariodus.

Outside of that we got games from all over. I remember getting Shining Force III on holiday, same with Guardian Heroes, Shining the Holy Ark and Shining Wisdom, my parents bought me all of these as gifts on different holidays (I picked the games of course, they had no clue what I'd like). Panzer Dragoon Saga was a birthday gift as well. So I didn't pay a dime for any of these and I still have them to this day.

So even without importing, the Saturn was always a great console imo. And I only recently started importing Japanese games for it and that really gave the Saturn a second life for me, what a great system.

Coda

Ikaruga is twice the game that Silvergun is, but I think Silvergun is still pretty fun.

Guardian Heroes is an incredible proof-of-concept for how to properly mix 4+ simultaneous players with traditional fighting game controls and beat-em-up gameplay. To this day, I lament that no mainstream fighting game developer has yet to shamelessly rip-off the formula. It has so much potential.

FWIW, the XBLA re-release of Guardian Heroes at least refined the gameplay to the point where it can arguably stand on its own as a great (if still busted) fighting game.

I always think this same thing. Where are my beat em up/fighting game hybrid games? I've been getting huge back into Anarchy Reigns for that reason, game was the best thing we got in that genre. It is certainly not a perfect game by any means but it still was a super fun and solid beat 'em up.

gelf

I saw screenshots of Night Warriors:Darkstalkers Revenge in Sega Power magazine and knew I wanted the machine. I wasn't sold at allon 3D graphics at all at the time, thought it looked ugly in most cases but those big chunky sprites in NW looked far ahead of anything I'd seen on 16-bit machines.

When I'd saved up for the Saturn I ended up getting the bundle with VF2 and Sega Rally, and those finally sold me on 3D graphics just from loading them up. But it was a 2D fighter that got me into that gen.

AmyS

btw love parodius and grats on that. I managed to play the arcade version as one of the arcade centers in my city center had imported 3 of these boards and I put a lot of money in them. The pc engine was the first home port I bought followed soon by the super famicom version and I'm pretty sure the saturn version I got the UK release as soon as these import shops started offering region free and RGB modding services.

I also ended up picking up the TwinBee Deluxe Pack - I think I'll get Sexy Parodius another time.

BTW I watched the Parodius & Detana!! Twinbee episodes of Retro Core / Battle of the Ports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CJDuBR-IgA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-bkoUI6Ooo

piggychan

I also ended up picking up the TwinBee Deluxe Pack - I think I'll get Sexy Parodius another time.

BTW I watched the Parodius & Detana!! Twinbee episodes of Retro Core / Battle of the Ports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CJDuBR-IgA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-bkoUI6Ooo

seems like you are after the old konami classics :p

That twinbee collection back in the day even though I loved the Detana twin bee in the arcades it was also known as Bells & Whistles in the UK and I also managed to play Twinbee Yahho also in the arcades but that collection feels a little short of a 10 year anniversary thing... Would have loved a music option in there and maybe some scanned artworks early twinbee games... ah well.

AmyS

seems like you are after the old konami classics :p

That twinbee collection back in the day even though I loved the Detana twin bee in the arcades it was also known as Bells & Whistles in the UK and I also managed to play Twinbee Yahho also in the arcades but that collection feels a little short of a 10 year anniversary thing... Would have loved a music option in there and maybe some scanned artworks early twinbee games... ah well.

Yeah I know about Detana Twin Bee having the title Bells & Whistles because in the version of MAME I played it on years ago, the parent ROM is exactly that.

While I'm on the subject, one of the holy grails of Konami vertical shmups is probably Tobe! Polystars, an arcade game used the Konami M2 board (M2 as in the 3DO designed Panasonic M2 unreleased console).

LUkrO4y.png
GCSiDQs.png

http://nfggames.com/games/polystars/
http://www.shmups.com/reviews/polystars/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_ZavafxqVU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seV_Z97P6BY

I'd really love to play that some day.

Top Bottom