• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Leynos

ah, missed this post.

is this a mod chip that needs to be installed by a professional?

It is an ODE (optical disk emulator;) it lets you play rips of your games from an SD card. From what I gather, it is very simple to replace your optical drive with this thing.

c4bebd52b069213ba6fa64cc86117622_preview_featured.jpg

It does improve load times though in a way. Since it's booting from the SD card it should be reading as if the disc has no scratches which is a major issue and cause longer load times and skipping in FMVs. I can't remember where I read it but I remember reading that someone had a major improvement on resident evil's FMVs.

-shadow-

So I ran into Deep Fear (NTSC-J) yesterday, never heard of it, but it looked interesting so I purchased it after looking it up and seeing the setting and that the game was rather import friendly. I don't own a Saturn (yet), so I'm going to be emulating it to the best I can. I'm really curious how the game turns out, because a underwater horror game really sounds like the best idea.

sarcoa

So I ran into Deep Fear (NTSC-J) yesterday, never heard of it, but it looked interesting so I purchased it after looking it up and seeing the setting and that the game was rather import friendly. I don't own a Saturn (yet), so I'm going to be emulating it to the best I can. I'm really curious how the game turns out, because a underwater horror game really sounds like the best idea.
At some point in this thread someone attempted to play through Deep Fear, couldn't stand it, and tried to give their copy away. Actually they might have thrown it away.

Always looked neat though. I doubt it would approach Resident Evil 2's level of intensity but maybe it's better than games like Martian Gothic or Galerians.

-shadow-

That's a shame if it was thrown away (that's goes for any game honestly), especially if it's a PAL copy. I watched on eBay out of curiosity and that version is going for some serious crazy prices!

Khaz

There's a US version on the internet too. Apparently the game was gold but never made it to the market due to the fate of the console in the USA.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Got a hori fighting stick off eBay but the joy stick doesn't work (down and left) requested a return on eBay and Seller just gave me a refund and I can keep the stick. Ordered some new micro switches so wish me luck! Gonna be a while before they show up.

Parts came today and I did surgery, new switches had a slight lip on the. So had to dremel away some of the joy stick casing but it worked. Rewired and soldered the new switches and everything works now. $10 in switches and about 20 mins and got myself a Hori Fighting stick.

woodypop

Hey Meppi, fantastic work, those are gorgeous scans. Much cleaner than what retromags does.

There is an issue of Diehard GameFan that I'm very much wanting to see, in its entirety.

It's this one (Dec 1994).

JtsluLM.jpg

Nobody seems to have it scanned.
Are you in the US? I could loan you my copy. (It's a bit water-damaged, but is complete.)

AmyS

Are you in the US? I could loan you my copy. (It's a bit water-damaged, but is complete.)

Yeah, I'm in Illinois. However the only thing I really wanted to see from that issue is the Graveyard section with Ghouls 'n Ghosts for the NEC PC Engine SuperGrafx.

It's probably a 2 page spread, if not 1 full page. Assuming you don't have access to a scanner, do you think you could take a couple pictures of that article and post them?

I'd very much love to see it. Would be so much appreciated!

woodypop

Yeah, I'm in Illinois. However the only thing I really wanted to see from that issue is the Graveyard section with Ghouls 'n Ghosts for the NEC PC Engine SuperGrafx.

It's probably a 2 page spread, if not 1 full page. Assuming you don't have access to a scanner, do you think you could take a couple pictures of that article and post them?

I'd very much love to see it. Would be so much appreciated!
Are you sure you have the right issue in mind? I flipped through Vol 2 Issue 12 twice, and there's no GnG coverage, or SuperGrafx coverage. There isn't even a Graveyard section in this issue.

Let me know if it should be in a different Gamefan issue, and I'll see if I have it.

AmyS

Are you sure you have the right issue in mind? I flipped through Vol 2 Issue 12 twice, and there's no GnG coverage, or SuperGrafx coverage. There isn't even a Graveyard section in this issue.

Let me know if it should be in a different Gamefan issue, and I'll see if I have it.

Hmmm, I'll do some research, see if I can pin down what issue it might be in. Will edit my post if I find anything.

Edit: It's a longshot, but possibly the July 1993 issue:

Edit: I'm pretty sure it's one of the 1994 issues.

woodypop

Hmmm, I'll do some research, see if I can pin down what issue it might be in. Will edit my post if I find anything.

Edit: It's a longshot, but possibly the July 1993 issue:

Edit: I'm pretty sure it's one of the 1994 issues.
I don't have any 1993 issues. I checked all of the 1994 issues I have (Vol 2 Issues 7-12), but couldn't find the SuperGrafx GnG stuff you're looking for. Sorry.
(At least we know which issues it's not in. lol)

Glowsquid

I played Ghen War today and I was pretty surprised to find the game has legit permadeath. You start with 3 lives and gain another in an early level (I played 10 mission out of 20 and there was only one extra life pickup). If you die or quit without finishing a level, you lose a life. The game autosaves as soon as you start a level. When all lives are gone, your save is deleted!

Another early western Saturn game did something similar (Bug! only lets you continue a certain number of time from the latest unlocked world) but it's still pretty nuts to see that kind of mechanic in a game that's otherwise a fairly conventional FPS. Are there even any other FPS that did something like that?

AmyS

I don't have any 1993 issues. I checked all of the 1994 issues I have (Vol 2 Issues 7-12), but couldn't find the SuperGrafx GnG stuff you're looking for. Sorry.
(At least we know which issues it's not in. lol)

Yep, that's true. Thanks for trying / looking!

meppi

Just got back from Japan and here's what I picked up from Akihabara/Nipponbashi! Dodonpachi and Batsugun were also on my list but I couldn't find them for a decent price.

img_3929yisz6.jpg

Damn, those are some top picks! Every single one of them! :D

Just put the finishing touches on issue 22 of the official Sega Saturn magazine so it should be released next weekend.

Bit of a preview.

Damn, those are some top picks! Every single one of them! :D

Just put the finishing touches on issue 22 of the official Sega Saturn magazine so it should be released next weekend.

Bit of a preview.

Thanks for the scans! Fun to see old mags. For those interested in Resident Evil and WipEout 2097 for the Saturn though; RE is very good port, using RGB on a CRT will give you super sharp picture quality for the pre-rendered backdrops, the 3D models are a little simpler than the PS1 version, but nothing too jarring.

WipEout 2097 on the other hand though, is a framerate mess and should be avoided if you own a PS1. It really isn't a good port at all.

meppi

I kinda have to disagree there.

About a month or two ago, I spent 2 full weeks playing WipEout 2097 on the Saturn every evening after work. It takes a bit of getting used to but it played beautifully once I get back into the swing of things.
Of course the PSone version is smoother and looks a bit better, but that doesn't mean I would recommend people skipping the Saturn port at all.

I kinda have to disagree there.

About a month or two ago, I spent 2 full weeks playing WipEout 2097 on the Saturn every evening after work. It takes a bit of getting used to but it played beautifully once I get back into the swing of things.
Of course the PSone version is smoother and looks a bit better, but that doesn't mean I would recommend people skipping the Saturn port at all.

If you only own a Saturn, sure go for it. But otherwise? That framerate barely hits 20 fps, and weirdly enough they put the draw distance even further ahead when the game can't even cope with it's downgraded explosion, engine and shadow effects.

If anyone has $10k burning a hole in their pocket, someone is selling a complete CIB North American Saturn collection.

Dam, this seller is like 20 minutes away from me only.

wow @ that price. Well you can also pop the disc into a pc and check out the omake folder.

Now I have 3 Grandia's

Today's addition is Grandia Prelude. Wondering if I should open up that 3" sealed one....
G0EXoBg.jpg

I have the one in the top left. What's the difference between that and the other 2?

piggychan

I have the one in the top left. What's the difference between that and the other 2?

Grandia prelude is a preview demo, the large pamphlet is a pre order bonus thing..

The other is Grandia Digital Museum offers remixed dungeons and finding artifacts that unlock stuff such as bestiary, radio dramas, artwork materials and min games featuring the grandia characters. It's basically a fan service disc.

Warnen

9gG1tyj.jpg

haul since last pic. Now I just need Power Drift to have all the sega arcade games I wanted.

Warnen

Crazy Haul. Also that radian silvergun <3

Honestly don't see what the fuss is about. It kinda on the hard side for me (not really great at shoot em ups even though I like them) and graphics don't hold up like the 2d games. If I could I'd swap it for Batsugun or Gekirindan. Might ebay it in a while and try to do that if I don't warm up to it soon.

StevieWhite

Silvergun is overrated imo.

Maybe it seems that way now, but when it was new, it felt like a revelation. It has thw great quality of making you FEEL like you are amazing at shooters. Friends used to come over just to play it back in '99. It really felt amazing at the time.

Top Bottom