• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Saoshyant

You don't control the little guy directly as he just walks around automatically.
Instead blocks in various shapes drop down that you can control to build his path to the exit of each level as well as protect him from enemies.
He can climb obstacles that are as high as he is, but not higher than that.
You can use bombs to create paths for him or to defeat enemies as well. Or you can squash them with the blocks.

Thanks for the explanation. I figured I was supposed to help the little guy do something but couldn't understand what. The Tetris + Lemmings anology is perfectly apropos I'd say.

Khaz

can't wait to test out that arcade racer tho..especially with Initial D!

Don't get too much hype, I found it very disappointing. I only tried it with Daytona and Sega Rally, but I found it very unreliable, I couldn't control the car as precisely as with a standard controller. It's back in its box now. Maybe it just needed some getting used to? But I didn't have the patience, plus the thing is huge on my desk.

eXistor

Anyway spent a little under 150 GBP which most of it went to Batsu.. I was also tempted on picking up a boxed model 2 Victor Saturn boxed but couldn't carry everything in the end..
I'd say that's a damn good deal, I recently paid more for just Batsugun.

These are exactly the kind of fairs they hold here in the Netherlands btw, just rows and rows of retro stuff (though recently they're becoming more and more modern), you can get some decent deals sometimes; the sellers are there to sell, so more often than not they'll knock something off the price. I've spent lots of cash there, but I've also saved a whole bunch just by asking for a few euro's off here and there, it really adds up over time.

piggychan

Don't get too much hype, I found it very disappointing. I only tried it with Daytona and Sega Rally, but I found it very unreliable, I couldn't control the car as precisely as with a standard controller. It's back in its box now. Maybe it just needed some getting used to? But I didn't have the patience, plus the thing is huge on my desk.

I've been trying the wheel with 3 racers, Shoutoku Battle 97, Nissan Over Driving GT-R which is basically the Need for Speed game with Nissan licensed cars. The response time feels decent and the driving sensation is pretty relaxing and I'm somewhat enjoying these with the wheel.

However my main reason for the wheel was for the Initial D which is just so uncompromising in it's gameplay, steering is overly sensitive not to mention the driving at night with no lighting doesn't help especially with sharp zig zag turnings. Definitely not a relaxing game, not even for a quick arcade thrill. I do think it controls better with a wheel but dayum the game puts you on edge as it's one on one driving. Not one for when you rage easily! Also need to add the default driving view feels very claustrophobic. But having said this I really do like the characters, settings and music but the gameplay just takes away any charm points.

EDIT
I like the arcade racer, yes it does take getting use to. Can't escape the plastic feel of the thing. Also depending on previous owners and how the wheel has been treated they all may operate differently. Mine seems alright. My main gripe is the angle adjustment, there is a lock at the back of the unit that fixes the wheel into place that seems like it can break at any moment.

These are exactly the kind of fairs they hold here in the Netherlands btw, just rows and rows of retro stuff (though recently they're becoming more and more modern), you can get some decent deals sometimes; the sellers are there to sell, so more often than not they'll knock something off the price. I've spent lots of cash there, but I've also saved a whole bunch just by asking for a few euro's off here and there, it really adds up over time.

maybe I should start making trips there ...

KC-Slater

Is that a deal compared to buying them separately at current market prices?

No idea, but I think not. Purely convenience I'm guessing.
But it is in Canadian dollars, so maybe?

Edit: I did some simple calculations, and you're paying approx. $62 per title, so it's not outrageous.

TeaJay

It's pretty good if you have memorised the map and never need to use the menu.

But like we talked earlier, it's a shame how botched that port is, the PSX version winds hands-down. Too bad since I really enjoy the extra content.

It's pretty good if you have memorised the map and never need to use the menu.

But like we talked earlier, it's a shame how botched that port is, the PSX version winds hands-down. Too bad since I really enjoy the extra content.

It's kind of ironic that the "2d powerhouse" fumbles on the best 2d game of the generation

meppi

Wow, that's awesome and unexpected.

Well... not super unexpected. Jaleco also has a few licensed multicarts coming out for NES, Famicom, SNES, SFC, and Game Boy, so I assume this is part of a larger initiative to monetize their legacy titles.

I really hope so.
While Jaleco wasn't a top tier company when it came to making games, far from it. I do have a very big soft spot for them.

Especially for Rival Turf series, which doesn't hold a candle to Streets of Rage or Final Fight, but I still really loved the game very much.
Rod Land, Totally Rad, JaJaMaru, City Connection, Exerion, Fortified Zone.
All really fun games even though they might not be timeless classics.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Well damn, The Game Tengoku is coming to the PS4 and PC later this year.

http://gematsu.com/2017/07/game-paradise-cruisinmix-announced-ps4-pc

Glad to see the game getting another shot as it's tons of fun.

Awesome news, any word on physical release or Switch?

Wow, that's awesome and unexpected.

Well... not super unexpected. Jaleco also has a few licensed multicarts coming out for NES, Famicom, SNES, SFC, and Game Boy, so I assume this is part of a larger initiative to monetize their legacy titles.

For real? Are they releasing multicarts for the Nes, Famicom, etc? First Ive heard of this, awesome news if true.

KC-Slater

To be fair I think I remember hearing it was because of the way it was ported, and that they didn't go about it utilizing the saturn chips properly.

From what I understand, all of the "sprites" are just mapped on to polygonal surfaces on the PSX version. The Saturn version is a pretty lazy port using the same methodology. The port of the Saturn version didn't efficiently separate assets between the Saturns multiple processors, and the result is significant slowdown. There is a good breakdown of it here.

I still love this game, even the Saturn version.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Got a hori fighting stick off eBay but the joy stick doesn't work (down and left) requested a return on eBay and Seller just gave me a refund and I can keep the stick. Ordered some new micro switches so wish me luck! Gonna be a while before they show up.

Khaz

From what I understand, all of the "sprites" are just mapped on to polygonal surfaces on the PSX version. The Saturn version is a pretty lazy port using the same methodology. The port of the Saturn version didn't efficiently separate assets between the Saturns multiple processors, and the result is significant slowdown. There is a good breakdown of it here.

I still love this game, even the Saturn version.

He specifically says that sprites are sprites in the beginning of the video though, save for a few rotating background objects.

piggychan

Yeah jumped on it at the price most people want $150ish, I'll still enjoy it.
wow @ that price. Well you can also pop the disc into a pc and check out the omake folder.

Now I have 3 Grandia's

Today's addition is Grandia Prelude. Wondering if I should open up that 3" sealed one....
G0EXoBg.jpg

IrishNinja

here for piggychan's con pics, phew

I own the Capcom Generations 4, and that is an awesome collection at least. Definitely recommended for that Mercs!

oh man, that one looks fun. ive got the ghouls & ghosts one and it's a blast

Got Dracula X for the Saturn ($85), good game but dam that slow down

agreed, we were just talking about it - im fine with it but the map kills me. i think playing it off an upscaler (i think it changes res at the menu) might help me too

Yep. Shit port.

i mean if you're gonna just call it that then what is pit fighter bruh

wow @ that price. Well you can also pop the disc into a pc and check out the omake folder.

Now I have 3 Grandia's

Today's addition is Grandia Prelude. Wondering if I should open up that 3" sealed one....
G0EXoBg.jpg

how do you play games in japanese? i saw a JYP shining in the darkness III but sad i cant read japanese =(

piggychan

how do you play games in japanese? i saw a JYP shining in the darkness III but sad i cant read japanese =(

I had completed the Saturn version back in the day, 1997 and then later I completed the US playstation version several times which helped on the story plot.

Plus the UK Official Sega Saturn Mag ran a game guide for Grandia. Good ol' Richard Leadbetter who today is now part of Digital Foundry

EDIT

I'm also kinda addicted to repetitive exp grinding....

Also back in the day a friend of mine his first Final Fantasy game was FF8 on PSX. He bought it as soon as it was released here in the UK and after beating the game at around the 90+ hour mark he started a new file and despite the game being in full English it was on his 2nd play through that he realized the game had a magic system which was "Junction". On his first play through he had no idea on how the magic system worked even though it was fully in English...

Glowsquid

If you like Fighting Vipers and Virtua Fighter 2 you should get the crossover, Fighters Megamix.

To be honest, I didn't have much interest in either games and both simply happened to come with the console I bought... but I'm liking Fighting Vipers a lot more than I expected. Is Fighter's Megamix more Virtua Fighter or Fighting Vipers?

MikeMyers

To be honest, I didn't have much interest in either games and both simply happened to come with the console I bought... but I'm liking Fighting Vipers a lot more than I expected. Is Fighter's Megamix more Virtua Fighter or Fighting Vipers?
It actually lets you switch if you want to run on the VF2 or FV engine.

If I had to pick I'd say it is closer to the latter.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

Just got a metal black off eBay for $65 too. Got sick of constally lossing auctions so now I just skim the newly listed for deals. Same guy had a Batsugun for $170 but sold when I was thinking about it lol.

As for the omake folder sadly I haven't had a cd rom drive in about 5 years...

agreed, we were just talking about it - im fine with it but the map kills me. i think playing it off an upscaler (i think it changes res at the menu) might help me too

Saw that in the rgb vid, thankfully I'm playing on a PVM so no issues with that for me.

I had completed the Saturn version back in the day, 1997 and then later I completed the US playstation version several times which helped on the story plot.

Plus the UK Official Sega Saturn Mag ran a game guide for Grandia. Good ol' Richard Leadbetter who today is now part of Digital Foundry

EDIT

I'm also kinda addicted to repetitive exp grinding....

Also back in the day a friend of mine his first Final Fantasy game was FF8 on PSX. He bought it as soon as it was released here in the UK and after beating the game at around the 90+ hour mark he started a new file and despite the game being in full English it was on his 2nd play through that he realized the game had a magic system which was "Junction". On his first play through he had no idea on how the magic system worked even though it was fully in English...
funny, i just got Grandia psx in the mail today.
i'll join you in being a fan of this game =) 1st time playing it.

alf717

funny, i just got Grandia psx in the mail today.

i'll join you in being a fan of this game =) 1st time playing it.

The game is really good. It gets flak for bad voice acting but I was OK with it back in 99'. Not to make you worry or anything but the game use to freeze on me back then on my 5501 during battles never figured out why it did that. I think it was a heat issue. I use to rock one of those third party accessory that would add a fan underneath my PS model and it gave me stereo speakers to pass the audio through.

The game is really good. It gets flak for bad voice acting but I was OK with it back in 99'. Not to make you worry or anything but the game use to freeze on me back then on my 5501 during battles never figured out why it did that. I think it was a heat issue. I use to rock one of those third party accessory that would add a fan underneath my PS model and it gave me stereo speakers to pass the audio through.

haha, that's pretty funny to imagine seeing a fan with stereo speakers =P
i don't remember my ps1 over heating but having to turn it upside down.

man, i'm really wanting a Saturn but holding off... i almost brought those jyp saturn capcom generations games and i don't even have a system. they had a buy 2 get 1 free but i couldn't find a 3rd game so i walked away. one day i'm getting a system.

meppi

man, i'm really wanting a Saturn but holding off... i almost brought those jyp saturn capcom generations games and i don't even have a system. they had a buy 2 get 1 free but i couldn't find a 3rd game so i walked away. one day i'm getting a system.

Just remember, once you get one, there will be no turning back. :)

One of the most addicting systems to collect for imho.
Just so many great stuff on there as lots of things you wouldn't expect.

MikeMyers

Definitely recommend it if you're into arcade ports. A lot of them can still be found cheap especially if you go for the Japanese versions.

Just put the money down on the import order my friends and I have been putting together over the past couple of weeks; lots of Saturn goodies in there.

Hopefully it gets here in time for a local convention in September. I'd love to get a big Saturn Bomberman station set up for folk with all the controllers I ordered.

Yes Boss!

Prolly a long shot but does anybody in here have a Shinobi Legions (Japan) copy they want to sell. I just wanna play through it. Trying to avoid eBay.

Top Bottom