• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Okay, I just made an embarrassing collector's error: picked up Galactic Attack (U.S.) on eBay, having forgotten I already have Layer Section (JP). Derp.

Is there any difference between the two? i.e., does it matter which I keep and which I sell?

Okay, I just made an embarrassing collector's error: picked up Galactic Attack (U.S.) on eBay, having forgotten I already have Layer Section (JP). Derp.

Is there any difference between the two? i.e., does it matter which I keep and which I sell?

They have different names, and the US release comes in a larger case. Otherwise, they're the same as far as I know. Yes, Acclaim even kept the tate mode for the US release!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

I bought Layer Section just so I didn't have to see Acclaim's logo.

Mikhal

Orioto has has awesome Panzer Dragoon poster for sale!

http://www.redbubble.com/people/orioto/works/10450310-panzer-dragoon-poster
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=346377

tumblr_moams76aRp1qdq8qno3_1280.jpg

IrishNinja

^hot damn that's gorgeous! man i need to finally play that series, only bits ive had so far were a few minutes of Orta, really lookin forward to 1/2/saga at some point

I'm not really a fan of shmups, so Saga is far and away my favorite game in the series.

Last time I said that, I got a "but you can get an RPG anywhere!" as a response. This is true, but none like Saga. It really does a whole lot differently - notably, its battle mechanics are a lot more active than most, which I really like. It's also almost entirely devoid of filler (maybe that dungeon with all the one-way ramps coming the closest, but even that had a purpose in the plot), which, while it means it clocks at only around 11 hours or so, means it gets right to the point and never overstays its welcome (a la Portal). Plus, it gives you a lot more insight to the world of Panzer Dragoon, and that's a world that's worth that much insight. That's something Orta was able to provide more of, later, in a shmup entry, but since I'm really bad at the shmup entries, a lot of Orta's encyclopedia is still behind lock-and-key, while Saga is right there, available for me to pore over at any time.

I suppose its biggest flaw is, other than its obscene rarity, that it's too easy, but since it's an easy game I greatly enjoyed while playing, I can't hold it against it too much (I tend to lean toward easy games more than hard ones these days, anyway - not that I think hard games should go away, far from it).

But that's me, anyway. And I might just be feeling that way because I spent so much money on it. But whatever the reason, I really like that game.

Dereck

Someone posted a website in this thread that sold retro and new used games which included like, a lot of used Sega Saturn games, what is that website again?

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Probably lacks the spine card, yeah? Its crazy how much those increase the value of the more sought-after games.
Hard to say, in one instance the seller explicitly notes that an item doesn't have a spine card (VF Remix). I'lllet you know for sure Iin a few weeks :p

IrishNinja

aside: really getting tired of saturn being used as a pejorative in the stupid XBONE analogy, same with DC & WU. i understand people like familiar frames of reference but a) these are not like things/scenarios and b) such comparisons should be praising the classic systems, not dumping on them

I'm tired of hearing about XB1 in general.
I'd say it's a shame that one won't go quietly into the night, but it's good that people are harping on it, honestly. Stomping on consumer rights deserves backlash.

Comparing it to the Saturn was just bone-headed, though.

oneida

I'd say it's a shame that one won't go quietly into the night, but it's good that people are harping on it, honestly. Stomping on consumer rights deserves backlash.

Comparing it to the Saturn was just bone-headed, though.
I don't give a fuck about DRM

I don't give a fuck about DRM
You've never had to put up with it, then.

Because I like that I can go on eBay, order a copy of Dragon Force (still need to get back to that) from a guy who'd already played it to death, have it delivered here, slap it in the console and never once doubt it'd work.

oneida

You've never had to put up with it, then.

Because I like that I can go on eBay, order a copy of Dragon Force (still need to get back to that) from a guy who'd already played it to death, have it delivered here, slap it in the console and never once doubt it'd work.
I don't think I've bought a current gen game used. I'm not going to sign your petition or march in your rally.

Who's said anything about current-gen? My point is, I can do that with Saturn, nearly 20 years on. I'll never be able to do that with XBone, because the authentication servers will long be shut down at the comparable point in its lifespan.

IrishNinja

^not that i don't think that attitude ("doesn't affect me") isn't worth discussing, but we do have other threads for it...sorry for getting the ball rolling here, it was just the comparison that bugged me

oneida

Who's said anything about current-gen? My point is, I can do that with Saturn, nearly 20 years on. I'll never be able to do that with XBone, because the authentication servers will long be shut down at the comparable point in its lifespan.
You're making assumptions on how a system which hasn't even launched yet will handle things post mortem. Get this shit outta here.

You're making assumptions on how a system which hasn't even launched yet will handle things post mortem. Get this shit outta here.
Not really. The first Xbox has no online play anymore, despite that being its big draw. The Wii is about to have most of its online functionality shut down. This isn't an assumption, this is pretty much putting one and one together.

Also, "doesn't affect me" is a bad argument. Is empathy not a thing anymore?

Yes Boss!

So, 360 is by far the most Saturn-friendly modern system.

Xbox One already has one very Saturn-like sequel. I really don't get the hate.

Everybody will be playing the system in a year or two anyways as folks accept the digital future. Gamers get crazy sometimes. You don't have to get in on ground floor but MS is doing more than Sony as far as supporting J-devs.

IrishNinja

Everybody will be playing the system in a year or two anyways as folks accept the digital future. Gamers get crazy sometimes. You don't have to get in on ground floor but MS is doing more that Sony as far as supporting J-devs.

eh, i don't think i will, but we'll see...about that last statement though, how so? thought cerny was talking about working with more j-devs, and isnt xbone launching rather late over there as it is?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The idea that anyone on retro-GAF would be okay with what the XB1 is doing is kind of mind-boggling.

You're NOT making assumptions?
I think the burden of proof is on MS when you look at postmortem support for consoles past.

^not that i don't think that attitude ("doesn't affect me") isn't worth discussing, but we do have other threads for it...sorry for getting the ball rolling here, it was just the comparison that bugged me
I hope you're happy!

Yes Boss!

eh, i don't think i will, but we'll see...about that last statement though, how so? thought cerny was talking about working with more j-devs, and isnt xbone launching rather late over there as it is?

Does not really matter. They have already first-party published two games (CD and D4) which is leagues ahead of Sony. Ps4 is also being front-loaded as a Western machine. They will all get titles as I expect this gen to be no less than seven years but folks are missing the plot with the online and DRM issue.

FWIW, I'm a Nintendo player, and like the PS4 second but, god damn, there is certainly a place in this gaming world for what MS is bringing to the table.

You're NOT making assumptions?
I don't really consider logical conclusions based on analyzing the facts to be "assumptions"... but that's arguing semantics.

True, I'm not able to see into the future - if I were, I'd probably have saved money by buying Earthbound a few weeks later, after the Wii U VC announcement instead of shortly before - but given Microsoft's own history on the matter, I'd be amazed if it were any different.

baphomet

Recently ordered a mod chip and a region free bios replacement chip, as well as a RGB scart cable to enjoy Saturn as it was meant to be enjoyed.

IrishNinja

I hope you're happy!

(;_;)

Does not really matter. They have already first-party published two games (CD and D4) which is leagues ahead of Sony. Ps4 is also being front-loaded as a Western machine. They will all get titles as I expect this gen to be no less than seven years but folks are missing the plot with the online and DRM issue.

true, D4 is more exciting than a lotta what i saw. i hope TGS shift that a bit

also man, you're retro GAF...you gotta expect most of us will lean towards outright game ownership/stuff we can freely play from anywhere many years down the road. i get what you're saying, there's room for what they're offering...most of my happiness this e3 just came from the fact that both big systems didn't adapt that model. if one does, that's fine; i can choose to support it or not down the road.

but if it ends up having a SHMUP scene that i can access like the 360 did, for instance, yeah that'd be hard to pass on!

Recently ordered a mod chip and a region free bios replacement chip, as well as a RGB scart cable to enjoy Saturn as it was meant to be enjoyed.

bro you totally broke up our train there with this relevant talk

congrats man! this is exactly what i just did a while back, its nice having the Action Replay RAM thing for imports but region-free BIOS are the best, so much back catalog to explore!

I see where Irish is coming from. There's a precedent. The Xbox port of Phantasy Star Online won't let you play it at all if you were to boot it up today, even offline, unlike the DC and GCN versions.

What I don't get is, why 4? I know D is a Saturn game and D2 was a Dreamcast launch title that was pushed heavily early in its life, but kinda escaped from my memory after a very short while. Where was D3?
It stands for "Dark Dreams Don't Die" and is probably unrelated to Kenji Eno's games.

IrishNinja

It stands for "Dark Dreams Don't Die" and is probably unrelated to Kenji Eno's games.

this was totally my assumption, but if say there's a shoutout/tribute to Eno in the credits, that'd be really classy on SWERY's part. i haven't played enough games from either creator yet, admittedly, but for some reason i can't help but think he'd be a fan.

The idea that anyone on retro-GAF would be okay with what the XB1 is doing is kind of mind-boggling.

Yeah, I'm actually quite puzzled myself. Would have assumed that this group would really understand the importance of ownership, and a game being able to be played 20 years later.

Anyway, I think that retro game cable maker comes back today, so I'm hoping for more Saturn cables.

IrishNinja

godspeed. i so hope she does, really wishing id've ordered my N64 SCART RGB before she went on hiatus...just got Paper Mario and Sin & Punishment in the mail, sucks to wait another month

Top Bottom