• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

godspeed. i so hope she does, really wishing id've ordered my N64 SCART RGB before she went on hiatus...just got Paper Mario and Sin & Punishment in the mail, sucks to wait another month

I know the pain. Was watching the genesis and snes cables I wanted waiting for a restock of the Saturn cable before buying, and the day I asked about it was the day she went on vacation.

How easy was the n64 rgb mod?

IrishNinja

not too bad, a few on ebay had it but the same guy who modded my saturn wanted $70 (shipped) for a fully modded early unit + controller, his mod is amped so i just need the cable now. i'd love to tell you it looks nice but it's currently on upscaled composhit =/

Dereck

I'm looking for one of these for the Saturn, I can't seem to find any.

MD2-RCA-full-preview.png

Still no cables, and get to bitch again about that same god damn reseller keeping me from getting Nights last night. Hope he releases that he adds nothing and provides nothing of value to ebay. Just taking games that would have already sold and reselling them higher and with worse descriptions.

Buying from ebay to resell on ebay? That can't be lucrative business unless they track down mislabeled listings and somehow get stuff cheap.

Buying from ebay to resell on ebay? That can't be lucrative business unless they track down mislabeled listings and somehow get stuff cheap.

Got me. Just know that every time a Saturn game is going for a normal price I see him bidding it up/getting it, then he is selling it like a week later with just stock pictures and no real description for more ducets. Even if he doesn't win, it just pushes the prices up closer to his overpriced stuff so win win.

Still no cables, and get to bitch again about that same god damn reseller keeping me from getting Nights last night. Hope he releases that he adds nothing and provides nothing of value to ebay. Just taking games that would have already sold and reselling them higher and with worse descriptions.

someone in the b/s/t thread here has a boxed/controller copy

baphomet

I know the pain. Was watching the genesis and snes cables I wanted waiting for a restock of the Saturn cable before buying, and the day I asked about it was the day she went on vacation.

How easy was the n64 rgb mod?

It's cake. 3 wires from the chip to the multi out. You may need to add an amp in there which you can either make your own, buy the chip needed online, or I've actually got about 5 spare RGB amps sitting around the house. It's harder taking the thing apart than it is doing the mod. Of course you need an earlier revision to even do it. Versions 1-3 have c-sync on pin 3, version 4 only has composite video for sync.

televator

**Boards off the PS4 hype train, adjusts fedora**

What's up everybody? I kinda lost track of the retro threads for a while. lol

So uh... any word from retro gaming cables? I see no items on the ebay page still. :(

**Boards off the PS4 hype train, adjusts fedora**

What's up everybody? I kinda lost track of the retro threads for a while. lol

So uh... any word from retro gaming cables? I see no items on the ebay page still. :(

Noticed like a few days ago that her notice says Jul 15th, not June 15th. Felt really stupid for checking multiple times a day since June 15th.

Nice deal, I still need those Cotton games.

And Thunder Force V.

My wallet. ;_;

Damn, I'm afraid to ask; has Thunderforce V's price gone crazy in recent years? I got the PS1 version off Splaystation Archives on J-PSN, but I really want to play the OG.

Has anyone seen the Japanese wireless controllers in the wild recently? I have the receiver and one controller, but I was thinking about lookin for two more controllers -- the one I have has some battery damage because I am a moron.

I'm actually debating what to do about my Saturn collection right now. I will be moving back to Japan from the US soon, and I'll be downsizing my living space as well. I've Ben thinking of selling off my NA games and just collecting JP titles from here on out.

That means releasing another copy of PDS into the wild.

Has anyone seen the Japanese wireless controllers in the wild recently? I have the receiver and one controller, but I was thinking about lookin for two more controllers -- the one I have has some battery damage because I am a moron.

I'm actually debating what to do about my Saturn collection right now. I will be moving back to Japan from the US soon, and I'll be downsizing my living space as well. I've Ben thinking of selling off my NA games and just collecting JP titles from here on out.

That means releasing another copy of PDS into the wild.

Well your good friends here on gaf would be more then happy to help you with your tremendous burden. Really though, going to lose so much space that an extra box of games is going to be too much?

goldenpp72

So, about a year ago I went on a big collecting spree on the Saturn, but I never had the time (or will) to put them in any particular order, decided i'd do a bit of a montage one shot for the full set before I re-rack em. I guess I could also ask, in terms of US releases, any noteworthy fillers to add? I thought about the original VF release or RE to fill that gap, but I have recently broadened my US collecting and figured I may have missed some stuff.

I also have 8 model 2 pads, 2 3d sticks in box, the system and 2 stunners.. and 2 official multi taps if memory serves, but have those all boxed up until I can set up a game room in a new house.

Well, I'm going to be moving back home, and probably into a different room than the one I grew up in, which unfortunately has less closet space than my old room. I will also be bringing my wife with me (who is hoping that out next babies are twins -- we already have a daughter). The baby will have her own room, but we're still going to be hurting for space.

I've already begun transitioning to handheld gaming because the overhead is significantly "cheaper," if you will, but I do want to hang onto a Dreamcast and a Saturn, and maybe a PS3. That's why I thinking about keeping just one Saturn, and making it the Japanese one; the prospect of selling Saga for a few hundred bucks and getting a Japanese copy for like $20 is pretty tempting.

On a slightly unrelated note:
*checks eBay*

I should have never sold my Dreamcast Broadband adapater. >_<

goldenpp72

I don't recommend selling any of your old stuff unless you're 100 percent positive you will never desire to use it again, 90 percent of the time I have ended up screwing myself due to selling older games and wanting them back. Over time your space and housing may expand, but the ever wild pricing of gaming shit will also likely expand unless there is some kind of burst in the interest. I guess it's to say, you already have it, so choose wisely. A lot of people decide they want to go digital only or portables only to have their habit change, that's when they discover that odd game they sold for 40 bucks is worth 300 now :p

Dereck

I'm looking for one of these for the Saturn, I can't seem to find any.

MD2-RCA-full-preview.png
Anyone know where I can buy this?

So, about a year ago I went on a big collecting spree on the Saturn, but I never had the time (or will) to put them in any particular order, decided i'd do a bit of a montage one shot for the full set before I re-rack em. I guess I could also ask, in terms of US releases, any noteworthy fillers to add? I thought about the original VF release or RE to fill that gap, but I have recently broadened my US collecting and figured I may have missed some stuff.

I also have 8 model 2 pads, 2 3d sticks in box, the system and 2 stunners.. and 2 official multi taps if memory serves, but have those all boxed up until I can set up a game room in a new house.
It bothers me when I find:

A caseless Saturn game (I buy it anyway)
A Saturn game in a Jewel case
A Saturn game without the booklet/cover

That's all I've been getting in shops in my town, I've got some good games, just a few games with the manual/case whole shebang.

I am mad jelly. Only started trying to get some Saturn stuff a few months ago, but all I've been able to get is busted things that are missadvertised.

To answer your question though, Only things I notice offhand missing that I have on my list are Powerslave, and Virtual Hydlide.

I don't recommend selling any of your old stuff unless you're 100 percent positive you will never desire to use it again, 90 percent of the time I have ended up screwing myself due to selling older games and wanting them back. Over time your space and housing may expand, but the ever wild pricing of gaming shit will also likely expand unless there is some kind of burst in the interest. I guess it's to say, you already have it, so choose wisely. A lot of people decide they want to go digital only or portables only to have their habit change, that's when they discover that odd game they sold for 40 bucks is worth 300 now :p

I agree with this man. Even if it is more in my interest as a guy who would love to get my hands on an established collection to hope you sell yours. Unless you need the cash what harm could boxing them up in storage for a while be?

First Tomb Raider, maybe. Wipeout, too.

And if you get Powerslave, you might as well get Quake and Duke Nukem 3D, as well, and complete the trinity of Lobotomy FPSes.

Ain't that the truth.

However, I'm feeling pretty confident this time because I'd basically be replacing all of my US games with their Japanese equivalents. As far as what is physically in the collection itself, there would be a big change, of course, but the games would essentially stay the same.

I still have some time to decide, but you might be hearing more from me in the coming months.

Anyone know where I can buy this?

It bothers me when I find:

A caseless Saturn game (I buy it anyway)
A Saturn game in a Jewel case
A Saturn game without the booklet/cover

That's all I've been getting in shops in my town, I've got some good games, just a few games with the manual/case whole shebang.

Check the ebay seller "retro_console_accessories" when she comes back on the 15th of next month. You are one of a few people waiting to get some cables.

And yeah, I have had no luck with anything local. A place around where I live, eStarland, seals all their cases so can't easily check for disk or manual condition before buying something. Bought a few systems from them that ended up being all scratched up and made me wish I just got stuff on ebay for cheaper too.

First Tomb Raider, maybe. Wipeout, too.

And if you get Powerslave, you might as well get Quake and Duke Nukem 3D, as well, and complete the trinity of Lobotomy FPSes.

Reason I suggested Powerslave is because I think it is different in a non inferior way from other versions of the game. Duke and Quake are better elsewhere, aren't they?

Reason I suggested Powerslave is because I think it is different in a non inferior way from other versions of the game. Duke and Quake are better elsewhere, aren't they?
Technically? Yes. Source ports, mods, extra levels, etc. But I kinda like seeing the differences between console ports of PC games, so from that point of view, it's worth a look.

Also, Duke 3D has Death Tank Zwei. I hear that's a riot when you have a lot of friends over.

Dereck

Check the ebay seller "retro_console_accessories" when she comes back on the 15th of next month. You are one of a few people waiting to get some cables.

And yeah, I have had no luck with anything local. A place around where I live, eStarland, seals all their cases so can't easily check for disk or manual condition before buying something. Bought a few systems from them that ended up being all scratched up and made me wish I just got stuff on ebay for cheaper too.
OK

goldenpp72

I am mad jelly. Only started trying to get some Saturn stuff a few months ago, but all I've been able to get is busted things that are missadvertised.

To answer your question though, Only things I notice offhand missing that I have on my list are Powerslave, and Virtual Hydlide.

I agree with this man. Even if it is more in my interest as a guy who would love to get my hands on an established collection to hope you sell yours. Unless you need the cash what harm could boxing them up in storage for a while be?

My first few saturn games came in messed up shape. From there on I asked every condition question before buying and would force them by eBay to pay return shipping. I figured if they want to lie then I don't need to be nice either.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I really want to pick that one up someday. The price hurts though, lol.

i found it for exactly ¥10k. not cheap, but far more reasonable than certain other (lesser) shumps. it's nice to finally be able to play this lag-free and with an easy way to reset rank between runs.

i'm actually really disappointed in the arranged ost though. hopefully it grows on me but what i heard was not great. stab & stomp got mutilated!

Top Bottom