• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA Superstars.... Tennis? Wii / 360 / PS2 / PS3 / DS

Wizpig

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/860/860828p1.html

So anyway what THE FUCK is wrong with IGN reviewing the 360 version?
Graphics: 6
Are you kidding me?
Are you FUCKING kidding me?
The graphics are AWESOME for a Tennis Game.
Sound: 7
SEVEN?
SEVEN?!?!
It even says
If unlocking countless music tracks in mini-game after mini-game is your idea of the perfect Sunday, then this game is for you. From OutRun to NiGHTS, it's all here.
so what's with the 7?!

6.4 - Passable?
Try with 8.4 next time, and maybe try to keep the sega hate a little lower next time you review an actually GOOD and ENJOYABLE sega game.
Idiot.

/End of rant [and i'm not even a SEGA fan! these reviewers are just THAT irritating]

Kolgar

I think IGN and other game sites shaft this more light-hearted fare because it's not uber enough for those hardcore gaming he-men.

I'm playing the 360 game and loving it right now. The
Virtua Cop
mini-games are just fantastic, and I got a big kick out of the
Space Harrier
ones too.

Graphics wise, this is very easy on the eyes. Aurally, it's a true gem with some of these tunes from Jet Set Radio and others.

It's a freakin carnival ride. A tennis-oriented Sega amusement park on a disc.

Oh, well. Not the first time I liked a game the critics didn't. Too bad for them--and for the developers who put together the game.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
The game is fucking great, even without my bias. As a Sega fan, this delivers in spades, gameplay and everything else. Needs a bigger fucking roster next time.

WHERE IS AXEL AND BLAZE?! :mad:

Wizpig

Kolgar said:
I think IGN and other game sites shaft this more light-hearted fare because it's not uber enough for those hardcore gaming he-men.

I'm playing the 360 game and loving it right now. The
Virtua Cop
mini-games are just fantastic, and I got a big kick out of the
Space Harrier
ones too.

Graphics wise, this is very easy on the eyes. Aurally, it's a true gem with some of these tunes from Jet Set Radio and others.

It's a freakin carnival ride. A tennis-oriented Sega amusement park on a disc.

Oh, well. Not the first time I liked a game the critics didn't. Too bad for them--and for the developers who put together the game.
Yes, i actually feel bad for SUMO.
I hope this sells well.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Wow, I was dying to play this...but after I did, it's awful. The mechanics are nothing like VT. Why do I always have to pre-load a shot? And not being able to make quick shots sucks!

Steroyd

I found the demo to be more frustrating than Everybody's Tennis, infact the core mechanic is as frustrating, the special abilities tip it over the edge.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Graphics: 6

Whaaaat? This game looks so beautiful for a bubbly, colourful game. Nice rounded edges, shiny but-not-plasticy looking models and vivid colours.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I really want to jump on this but am afraid - one question. On the 360 build, how bad is the "slowdown" in doubles play? Really? Is this critics saying the frame-rate chugs when there's just like, stuttering during victory cinematics and shit, or does the playfield go into slow-mo constantly when all four players are just in the game on the field?

Kaijima said:
Is this critics saying the frame-rate chugs when there's just like, stuttering during victory cinematics and shit, or does the playfield go into slow-mo constantly when all four players are just in the game on the field?
The latter. I don't know if it does it in every doubles game, but on the Samba stage it was enough to throw me off.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Bog said:
It's like you haven't read ANY of the thread.

Dude, this is GAF. GAF hype distorts everything just as much as it often reveals the press is full of crap; I haven't seen enough detailed counter-points to the negative reports to be swayed yet.

The second reply to my question breaks the deal for me; no friggin' way this game should run in slow motion on the PS3 and 360. Sounds like Sumo drops the ball or was pressured by Sega into finalizing too soon, after the excellent job on VT3. Sigh.

robot

Tried the demo - pretty cool game but not sure if it's worth $50.

Guess I'll keep an eye in the buy/sell thread for the 360 version.

Kaijima said:
Dude, this is GAF. GAF hype distorts everything just as much as it often reveals the press is full of crap; I haven't seen enough detailed counter-points to the negative reports to be swayed yet.

The second reply to my question breaks the deal for me; no friggin' way this game should run in slow motion on the PS3 and 360. Sounds like Sumo drops the ball or was pressured by Sega into finalizing too soon, after the excellent job on VT3. Sigh.

That's what I don't get, Sumo managed to get VT3 running smooth at 1080p, how come they couldn't manage this with a constant 60FPS at 720p?

Speevy

Banned
This feels nothing like Virtua Tennis. Play the VT3 demo and then play this. Nothing alike.

VT is actually responsive.

Johnny

Downloaded the demo and promptly deleted it 5 minutes later. The game is just plain unresponsive and broken as a result. I was really looking forward to this one as well. :/

I too thought the game was unresponsive after the first few minutes, but the controls became second nature after a while, and I like them now. Yes, even the tapping two buttons for certain shots parts. The fact that the game is a SEGA-gasm allowed me to weather the initial iffyness, and I'm glad I did-I love it. The side games are creative and well worth the price of admission, particularly the puyo pop with a tennis ball section, which is just brilliantly conceived.

Kolgar

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
I too thought the game was unresponsive after the first few minutes, but the controls became second nature after a while, and I like them now. Yes, even the tapping two buttons for certain shots parts. The fact that the game is a SEGA-gasm allowed me to weather the initial iffyness, and I'm glad I did-I love it. The side games are creative and well worth the price of admission, particularly the puyo pop with a tennis ball section, which is just brilliantly conceived.

Yes.

I can also vouch for a ramp up in difficulty. The AI's getting tougher and I'm not just flying through tournaments like I had been.

Gotta hand it to those mini-games. As I've said, they grew to annoy me in VT, but here, they're creative and great fun. I played all yesterday morning and it didn't feel like I was playing "just" a tennis game. Between the
Virtua Cop baddies
and the
Space Harrier aliens,
I was pulled back into some of history's great arcade games and had a blast.

I do still puzzle over the decision to put four shot types on two buttons, but it hasn't at all bothered me as I thought it would.

Also, I wonder if perhaps the demo doesn't do the game justice? I haven't played the PS3 demo myself, but I know of other games that I nearly passed up because the demo didn't impress me.

Kolgar said:
Also, I wonder if perhaps the demo doesn't do the game justice? I haven't played the PS3 demo myself, but I know of other games that I nearly passed up because the demo didn't impress me.
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the demo had some occasional unresponsive issues (although I didn't find it too bad) the full version doesn't have (due to being finished). At first I thought the demo wasn't too great, but after playing it more and not trying to think it's VT/Mario Tennis, I like it (because it's not the same as either game).

I'm definitely getting on PS3, but not sure when.

In the full version, is it tougher to play as Shadow? In the demo, I find it tough playing as Shadow (which might explain why some didn't like the demo, because I had trouble hitting the ball with him). Playing as AiAi, the game felt much better and I did a lot better.

I loved the PS3 demo. The music, the graphics, the general feel. It's totally Sega. It might not be the deepest game ever but I'm sold. I wish all games were as happy as this.

Wizpig

handofg0d said:
Wait, what? This game is awesome?

I have a wii and a 360 - which version should I get?
Apparently 360 is much better, i have that.
Wii, well, they say the controls suck.

Wizpig

handofg0d said:
Thanks wizpig - will be checking out the 360 version of this.
I didn't know if i should've bought 360 or Wii version too at first, but the Online+Achievements pretty much sold it to me ;)

Kolgar

Played my first matches last night with a human player--my girlfriend--and she loved it.

We especially enjoyed the mini games. House of the Dead was great fun and though I didn't like the Monkey Ball game at first, it started to click with me by our fourth game and by our 20th, we only quit because we wanted to see what else we could get into.

Given the occasional frame hitches in the single-player game, I was pretty impressed that even with two players and all those zombies on screen at once, the game played smoothly. (As smoothly as the single-player game, that is.) Wish we'd been able to try four human players at once, but with two human players and two AI opponents the game kept up fine.

I can see the game getting pretty chaotic with four players, what with the odd-sized characters and special moves, but I look forward to being able to try it.

All in all, my opinion of this game remains high. Most fun tennis game I've bought, and I'll be playing this one for a long time to come.

Wizpig

This game could use more characters, but it's SO awesome.
The Samba de Amigo court + those songs in it = worth the price of the game :lol

Wizpig

Well, damn it, the
Puyo Pop Fever
mini-game is basically a game on its own.
SO AWESOME.
And that music... :Q___

Surfheart

I tried the PS3 demo and I have a love hate relationship going on with it. The fan service is amazing, the visuals are super happy, but as a tennis game its pretty horrible.

It feels very sluggish, looks like 30fps to me which is dissapointing after VT.
Also some of the graphical design choices made me scratch my head such as the large yellow star under the player's feet and the little star effects when the ball is hit tend to obscure the ball visibility quite a bit.

Not sure if I'll get this now.

Wizpig

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Alex Kidd
is a fucking cheater and I hate him.
If i had to say two or three broken characters i'd say:

Eggman
Gilius
[for the special]
and maybe, just MAYBE NiGHTS

Just unlocked
Outrun
on Planet Superstars :D

Wizpig

Anyway, damn, why did they put into the Characters that shitty
Pudding and Shadow
? They had already 4 fucking Sonic characters...
I wanted Amigo's sister! :(

Wizpig

Strange thing happened, i unlocked a new Music but it's not in the Court where i unlocked it, so i suppose it's for another stage... ?

Id.

Of all the characters I've played against thus far, Alex Kidd is the only one giving me a hard time. Damn him and his speed!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Sheeeesh! I get home with the game and pop it in to play only to get cockblocked by Sega. "update to version 1.02 OR DIE" -_-; Didn't this game just come out last week why the hecks there an update already? So before being able to play I had to wait 5 minutes to d/l 18mb for whatever this update does.

First thing I did after all that was go to the TV to watch some matches! I guess the PS3 version is dead cause there's no live channels, only 1 highlights and I gave up on superstar channels cause it was taking forever to search. In the end I just watched the single highlight match. Right now I just got done playing the JSR minigame! Fun fun fun with good music!

Wizpig

Lindsay said:
Sheeeesh! I get home with the game and pop it in to play only to get cockblocked by Sega. "update to version 1.02 OR DIE" -_-; Didn't this game just come out last week why the hecks there an update already? So before being able to play I had to wait 5 minutes to d/l 18mb for whatever this update does.

First thing I did after all that was go to the TV to watch some matches! I guess the PS3 version is dead cause there's no live channels, only 1 highlights and I gave up on superstar channels cause it was taking forever to search. In the end I just watched the single highlight match. Right now I just got done playing the JSR minigame! Fun fun fun with good music!
Mmmh, the 360 version got no update...

Anyway, unlocked all the 8 secret characters! :D

Wizpig

Finished!

The game, i mean :D

Time: 11:39:56
Superstars Mode: 100%

Achievements Points: 700 / 1000
Achievements: 34 / 45

What should i say?
The price was high [PAL version] but the game was awesome and good fun, go buy it today :lol

Wizpig said:
Finished!

The game, i mean :D

Time: 11:39:56
Superstars Mode: 100%

Achievements Points: 700 / 1000
Achievements: 34 / 45

What should i say?
The price was high [PAL version] but the game was awesome and good fun, go buy it today :lol

Daaaaamn! Great job there!

I haven't played since Alex Kidd trounced me like 3 times in a row. I HATE HIMMMMMMM!

Wizpig

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Daaaaamn! Great job there!

I haven't played since Alex Kidd trounced me like 3 times in a row. I HATE HIMMMMMMM!
By the way; hardest mission: the final Jet Set Radio one, where you have to do an High-score. [use Tails on that one]

Surfheart said:
I tried the PS3 demo and I have a love hate relationship going on with it. The fan service is amazing, the visuals are super happy, but as a tennis game its pretty horrible.

It feels very sluggish, looks like 30fps to me which is dissapointing after VT.
Also some of the graphical design choices made me scratch my head such as the large yellow star under the player's feet and the little star effects when the ball is hit tend to obscure the ball visibility quite a bit.

Not sure if I'll get this now.
I found it to be pretty shit too. I'll get Virtua Tennis instead for much less.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
After some more playing I can also vouch for the full game that it is alot more responsive and controllable then the demo! I've been using Beat the most so far since he's so cool hehe. I didn't unlock anything yet besides some more challenges in the superstar mode. how far in do you gotta go to unlock characters/stages/music?

Wizpig said:
Mmmh, the 360 version got no update...

Reallys? Thats weird I wonder what its for then.

Wizpig

Anyway i've got a couple [more than a couple, actually] questions about some Achievements i don't have;

To be this good takes AGES
Complete all Challenges in all SEGA games (Rank AAA)

^ Are you kidding me? :lol

Super Sonic
Collect 7 Chaos Emeralds in one game!

^ Is this one bugged? I actually GOT 7 Chaos Emeralds in one game, but i didn't get the Achievement... maybe you have to get the Chaos Emeralds in "Ball Game Mode", the one with the 8 minigames, but that would be... odd, since you can get the other Achievements in Superstars Mode.

Pot Black!
Clear 4 Trick Shots in one game!

^ Uh, i just don't get this one; i don't understand what i have to do... trick shots?

Party Time
Play each type of Ball Game Multiplayer

^ Again, are you kidding me?! I don't own two 360 controllers, so i CAN'T unlock this.

Wizpig

Lindsay said:
how far in do you gotta go to unlock characters/stages/music?
Oh, basically you are already there, there are a lot of songs to be unlocked so you'll unlock some of those first, then some characters and finally some stages. Every time a mission says "*Prize*" or something you'll unlock something if you get Rank A, AA or AAA.
Reallys? Thats weird I wonder what its for then.
I don't have a clue, maybe the Ps3 version was bugged?
It's cool they fixed it so soon anyway.

Top Bottom