• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA Superstars.... Tennis? Wii / 360 / PS2 / PS3 / DS

My6cats

Banned
question..which version should I get the PS3 or the 360? Anything or better in one version over the other? I tend to get most of the Sega games on the 360 since I have all the Sega x-box games, but the talk of slowdown has me concerned.

Wizpig said:
Anyway i've got a couple [more than a couple, actually] questions about some Achievements i don't have;

To be this good takes AGES
Complete all Challenges in all SEGA games (Rank AAA)

^ Are you kidding me? :lol

Super Sonic
Collect 7 Chaos Emeralds in one game!

^ Is this one bugged? I actually GOT 7 Chaos Emeralds in one game, but i didn't get the Achievement... maybe you have to get the Chaos Emeralds in "Ball Game Mode", the one with the 8 minigames, but that would be... odd, since you can get the other Achievements in Superstars Mode.

Pot Black!
Clear 4 Trick Shots in one game!

^ Uh, i just don't get this one; i don't understand what i have to do... trick shots?

Party Time
Play each type of Ball Game Multiplayer

^ Again, are you kidding me?! I don't own two 360 controllers, so i CAN'T unlock this.

Well, played a few month of VT3, some of the achievements are as crazy as this, but check gametags, I was amazed at how many people got 1000/1000 on this. I predict there will be 1000/1000 within a month.

Kolgar

What do I have to do to win the Jet Set Radio level in Superstars mode where you have to "perfect a tag to free the soul" or whatever? I keep clearing the tags but my counter stays at 0/3. Once I saw a little guy pop out who looked like a toaster-robot or something and I picked him up -- that gave me 1/3. But I've no idea what I did to bring him out and it's driving me crazy.

Anyone?

painey

Wizpig said:
Anyway i've got a couple [more than a couple, actually] questions about some Achievements i don't have;

Super Sonic

^ Is this one bugged? I actually GOT 7 Chaos Emeralds in one game, but i didn't get the Achievement... maybe you have to get the Chaos Emeralds in "Ball Game Mode", the one with the 8 minigames, but that would be... odd, since you can get the other Achievements in Superstars Mode.

Pot Black!

^ Uh, i just don't get this one; i don't understand what i have to do... trick shots?

Party Time

^ Again, are you kidding me?! I don't own two 360 controllers, so i CAN'T unlock this.

The trick shot one is a monkey ball level where you have 5 balls to complete trick shots

ram

My6cats said:
question..which version should I get the PS3 or the 360? Anything or better in one version over the other? I tend to get most of the Sega games on the 360 since I have all the Sega x-box games, but the talk of slowdown has me concerned.

so far - no slowdown in the ps3 version - even in 4 player games. everything is smooth and steady.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Wizpig said:

Super Sonic

Pot Black!

Party Time

1) Time intensive, unfortunately.

2) Only possible in the mini-games section AFAIK

3) Definitely possible in the trick shot game, is "tricky" though.

4) Sorry, try borrowing one?

Wizpig

Thanks everyone for the answers and yeah, the last "question" was actually a rant :lol
I hate when they put these "Local multiplayer only achievements".

Oh and - i've noticed NO slowdowns in the 360 version.

Kolgar said:
What do I have to do to win the Jet Set Radio level in Superstars mode where you have to "perfect a tag to free the soul" or whatever? I keep clearing the tags but my counter stays at 0/3. Once I saw a little guy pop out who looked like a toaster-robot or something and I picked him up -- that gave me 1/3. But I've no idea what I did to bring him out and it's driving me crazy.

Anyone?

This mission was frustrating as hell.

You basically have to collect three of those things that you saw, but those things only appear if you colour the logo in without a single stray ball. I.e. every shot must hit the right part of the logo and must be the right colour associated to that part. One mistake and you might as well hit restart mission.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
How is everyone getting on with this?

I've got one single mission to 100% Superstars mode. It's the horrible Space Harrier get 8,000 points one. I've had it on hold since about Saturday and haven't dared go back to it since. :lol

One thing that is really frustrating about this game is the lack of characters. I can see why Sumo did it, in that they only wanted to concentrate on a few.

But having all of those extra characters in 3D just outside the courts is torture. I want to be a Chao! I want to be Mecha Sonic! I want to be Professor K! The models are done! I don't care if they don't have Superstar moves, I just want to play with them!

I want to be Big The Cat! :lol

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Ya know this is one game I wouldn't mind a smallish install for to maybe kill the loading back and forth between modes and characters loading on the um... loading screens! :lol And would it have killed them to add keyboard support for typing in your name after getting a high-score on a minigame?? Add all of that plus a patch to include a Sound Test please!

Good fun anyways! Last-gen Sega provided me with Beach Spikers as my sole sports game and they're doing it again this time around with funfun tennis goodness. I unlocked a couple characters so far but am mostly taking things slowly to spread out the goodness. I made it up to Level 10 of the Curien Mansion minigame but those darn zombies finally got to me!

Dr Zhivago said:
UKR Review

"Each time you fire off a special move, it's like the SEGA of 1999 reaching out of the TV and giving you a sexual massage."

"Yep, that's pretty much the ultimate SEGA wank fantasy. Having two Ulalas at once, while Pudding and Gum get off with each other in plain view. Meanwhile, NiGHTS is in the kitchen making tea and toast for everyone."

:lol :lol

"Another improvement over VT3 is with the "diving" of characters. People who didn't know how to play Virtua Tennis 3 moaned that their characters constantly "dived" everywhere.

They dived because you were trying to hit a tennis ball while standing 15 feet away from it, you idiots."

XD

pilonv1

I got the classic pairs achievement in Superstar mode, just doing the stages as normal.

The Pot Black one needs to be done on the Monkey Ball Stage, I got the 4th black in just as time expired.

UK:R also did the best ever interview. It's with Sumo, and obviously, about this game: http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/2008/03/sega-superstars-tennis-month-sumo.html

UKR: Why isn't Cream The Rabbit in here?
STEVE: She is. She's behind the totem pole on the right of the Green Hill stage. Why do you think there's so many rings over there? Of course due to camera restrictions - and the age rating, we can't have her in view.

On control schemes:
STEVE: So we've got control options in there that range from 'Crap at games' to 'Show off' to 'Hates motion controls and bought the wrong console'.

On focus groups:
UKR: Did any of them recognise Ulala?
STEVE: One did. Apparently her dad was obsessed with Space Channel 5. We never knew you had kids. Oddly enough we got asked if we'd look after the 3 UK:R illegitimate children by a Belgian journalist. I suspect he wants them off his hands?

UKR: Finally, can you say something controversial about PS3 being hard to develop for, so we can get loads of traffic off Digg?
STEVE: We weren't quite prepared for all the blood sacrifices required - not to mention the liberal use of snake oil - to get the PS3 dev kits booted up. I'm sure the demand to use druidic runes rather than plain old C++ was something of an oversight on Sony's part too.

Innotech

Banned
Katana_Strikes said:
Gosh, had a play of this today and I won't be ever playing it again.

They destroyed my memory of NiGHTs with the new Wii version but they will never take my fond memories of Samba and Jet Set with this crap. NEVER!!
youve got to be kidding.

I will probably pick this up later this year because my truck currently has some cooling system issues that need to be adressed.

_Frank_

WTF. Is it even POSSIBLE to beat the PS3 demo? I mean, i won every fucking point except 2 and still, at match point, the demo fucking end. It happened to me like 10 times

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
pilonv1 said:
The increase in cheating AI once you hit the Alex Kidd stage is infuriating. Makes me want to return the game.
Alex Kidd and the 2 NiGHTS characters are the biggest AI cheats in the game.

pilonv1

cjelly said:

I don't have a problem with NiGHTS but Realo and Alex Kidd are fucking impossible to beat.

I'd love to talk to one of the developers and ask what the fuck they were thinking putting this difficulty spike in.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
pilonv1 said:
I don't have a problem with NiGHTS but Realo and Alex Kidd are fucking impossible to beat.

I'd love to talk to one of the developers and ask what the fuck they were thinking putting this difficulty spike in.

Another piece of evidence of a game with a very poor QA process, why was this game rushed so badly, Sumo know how to do Tennis games, and last time I checked, Tennis is a Summer sport, so why get the title rushed out in March? Oh SEGA.

I'll stick with VT3.

Stop It said:
Another piece of evidence of a game with a very poor QA process, why was this game rushed so badly, Sumo know how to do Tennis games, and last time I checked, Tennis is a Summer sport, so why get the title rushed out in March? Oh SEGA.

I'll stick with VT3.
Easy, marketing. Easter is second to Christmas for sales, and with an early Easter, some titles had to be rushed.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
JonathanEx said:
Easy, marketing. Easter is second to Christmas for sales, and with an early Easter, some titles had to be rushed.

In the UK at least, Henman Murray-mania during the Wimbledon championships would be enough to at least double potential sales as for 2 weeks a year it forces Tennis into the limelight.

It's sad though, that games have to be foisted on people when the marketing execs want them to be sold, rather than when a game is actually polished and ready, this is obviously yet another victim of that, ah well.

Can anyone tell me whether or not you can switch dominant hands? Especially important on the Wii version, which I will most likely be picking up tomorrow.

pilonv1

Stop It said:
I'll stick with VT3.

It's not much better in terms of tough AI but at least with patience and skill you can beat King/Duke. Alex Kidd is a joke though, even Federer couldn't handle him.

McBradders

cjelly said:

Reala was eeeasy.

Alex Kidd is stopping me from unlocking the After Burner court.

DAMN YOU ALEX KIDD!

Opiate

Stop It said:
In the UK at least, Henman Murray-mania during the Wimbledon championships would be enough to at least double potential sales as for 2 weeks a year it forces Tennis into the limelight.

It's sad though, that games have to be foisted on people when the marketing execs want them to be sold, rather than when a game is actually polished and ready, this is obviously yet another victim of that, ah well.

Not that I entirely disagree, mind you, but I think you're underestimating how financially significant such decisions are. It's very easy to say "I want the developers to take their time and make better games and not rush a product out for the sake of money" when you aren't in charge of a mult-million or multi-billion dollar corporation with a great deal of money on the line.

Again, I'm not entirely disagreeing with you here: somehow companies like Blizzard and Nintendo manage to maintain this "ready when it's ready" philosophy while also making huge profits. Instead, I'm just asking you to see this from the corporation's viewpoint: if it was my 10 million dollars on the line and a developer wanted to wait past Easter to make a few minor tweaks to a game, I'm not sure what I would do, either.

Downloaded the demo and thought it was rubbish. Heard some people saying it was great so I downloaded the demo again. It's rubbish. Dress up as sonic and play a decent game of tennis.

McBradders

Opiate said:
Not that I entirely disagree, mind you, but I think you're underestimating how financially significant such decisions are. It's very easy to say "I want the developers to take their time and make better games and not rush a product out for the sake of money" when you aren't in charge of a mult-million or multi-billion dollar corporation with a great deal of money on the line.

Again, I'm not entirely disagreeing with you here: somehow companies like Blizzard and Nintendo manage to maintain this "ready when it's ready" philosophy while also making huge profits. Instead, I'm just asking you to see this from the corporation's viewpoint: if it was my 10 million dollars on the line and a developer wanted to wait past Easter to make a few minor tweaks to a game, I'm not sure what I would do, either.

Absoloutely, have you seen the legs Mario & Sonic at the Olympics has? It's not going to stop any time soon and probably sell beyond the Summer's Olympics too.

McBradders

pilonv1 said:
How'd you beat him and with what character?

I play Ulala pretty exclusively. Usually I drop shot, run to the net and then just power shot it to the opposite corner where he can't recover.

pilonv1

McBradders said:
I play Ulala pretty exclusively. Usually I drop shot, run to the net and then just power shot it to the opposite corner where he can't recover.

I'll try that, but on the Alex Kidd stage Realo is almost impossible.

Alex is tough, but he's far from unbeatable. Beat him yesterday with Ulala, took 3 attempts. Ulala's superstar shot is effective against him since he's not very good at dodging the Morolians.

Kolgar

I took out Alex Kidd a couple of times yesterday... not sure if it was on the After Burner stage, but I found that you have to rush the net and get up close before he does. Then keep him off balance with short drops to either side... Eventually you can whap one out of his reach.

SO satisfying to beat that little whelp! :lol

McBradders

Dr Zhivago said:
Alex is tough, but he's far from unbeatable. Beat him yesterday with Ulala, took 3 attempts. Ulala's superstar shot is effective against him since he's not very good at dodging the Morolians.

Have you been playing Ulala online? I had a freaking EPIC match with her yesterday against another Ulala. WAS IT YOU? :eek:

Id.

I don't know if its my PS3 or the game's invite system; but everytime I accept an invite from someone to play a game, the game freezes and never enters the host's lobby. I've had to turn off my PS3 several times because of this.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

So in case anyone was wondering, there doesn't seem to be an option to switch the dominant hand of the players. It's easy enough to add, I don't see why there wouldn't be an option for it. Even Mario Tennis on the 64 let you switch dominant hands. But it's not a big deal, because it doesn't effect gameplay at all. Even though my backhand is the character's forehand, the ball still goes the right direction. No more awkward than Twilight Princess, I guess.

SEGA needs to get on this left-handed gravy train. I couldn't play certain games in Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games because of their omission there as well. Maybe they just don't employ any left handers?

Top Bottom