• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega to upgrade Megadrive / Genesis Steam game hub. Adds Mod Support!

FyreWulff

Seriously, this is one of the coolest, most forward thinking things Sega has done in years.

Goddamn, if people can start monetizing their rom hacks... wow

Someone should throw Sonic Megamix up there ASAP.

For some reason I remember us talking about this. About how the whole mod infrastructure would provide Sega the legal clarity and ease of mind to finally allow the Sonic hacking community to be able to officiate their mods and monetize them if they wish. That community has been wanting something like this for a long time.

Sega is 10 years late on this. Better late than never I suppose. How about open sourcing and selling dev kits for their past hardware.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
For some reason I remember us talking about this. About how the whole mod infrastructure would provide Sega the legal clarity and ease of mind to finally allow the Sonic hacking community to be able to officiate their mods and monetize them if they wish. That community has been wanting something like this for a long time.

Sega embracing paid mods as the concept applies to its Sega MegaDrive emulator would arguably a larger shift in strategy than its exit from the console market. That's not say it won't happen; I'm just making the point it'd be huge.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I had a hunch when I saw that preview pic of the new room interface that this would be awkward, and boy am I not glad to be right. Half of the problem is the broken controller support though.

Oh its up? Gonna check this out.

It's not bad. Already dled a mod to Shining Force 2

hYVsHnl.png

The default TV UI/game front thing though... it's like fish eyed to mimic a non flat CRT looks bad man.

dock

Yeah, this new interface is a nightmare! On my laptop it runs about 4 frames per second, and takes about 5 seconds to switch between options. The interface is also really poor with non-xbox gamepads. What a huge mess.

On a related note, which emulator should I download instead? can I play my steam-bought roms?

Interface runs fine on my PC. I played Sonic 1 for a bit and I was getting some micro stuttering. Maybe I've been playing the 3DS version too much but it seemed like okay emulation.

I'm using my 6 button Street Fighter Xinput controller and everything is fine except that up is down and down is up. You can re-map it for the games so I fixed that but the new interface has to be navigated with inverted up/down. I can't understand why.

Very strange.

Crub

Yeah, I wasn't too impressed with the way the games are displayed - there's a pretty intense curve (I can deal with some curvature, but not that much), and you can only choose from two filters, both of which look pretty bad - HQ2x and a weird scanline filter that also washes out the colors.

The curve can be turned off fully in the emulator settings!

Yeah only in some resolutions like windowed 1024 x 768, they should update with more options.

It's kind of weird, because the games are still bordered in all directions. What's the point if not to achieve a nearest multiple resolution?

Dammit, it broke all of my non-sega rips that were working (and still are) in the old emulator. I just want to see them in that fancy frontend.

AaronMT86

Not sure if it's my controller/system or what but my Xbox One wireless controller is completely uncalibrated in-game but fine elsewhere. Anyone else running into this issue?

The SEGA Genesis Classic Collection (40 non-Sonic titles) is $10.55 on Steam through 5/1!
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/7825

There's also a 'SEGA Mega Drive & Genesis Classics Pack 5' on sale for $2.55 which includes 10 games not included in the above bundle, including Phantasy Star 2-4, Dynamite Headdy, Streets of Rage 3, and more!
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/14445/

Thanks for the links. I had already been looking at the first one and figuring out which of the 'missing' titles I wanted to grab without realizing there was that Pack 5 bundle that has all of them.

SOLDIER

Would like to get Sonic 3, but do they ever sell bundles that include Sonic games as well? Or do they only run Sonic-only bundles?

sibarraz

Banned
I like the graphical options in the game, they are better than in the vanilla emulator. Also now the game support the triggers on xbox 360 controllers, the original one didn't recognized them. Sadly they still hasn't included steam overlay and screenshots, but the last one can be easily replaced

Would like to get Sonic 3, but do they ever sell bundles that include Sonic games as well? Or do they only run Sonic-only bundles?

On amazon they always give all the sonic games on steam for like 10 dollars

Shaneus

Few things I noticed just floating through the Steam store (haven't fired this up yet):
* Owned the main MD pack, but didn't already have pack 5. No biggie, but not sure how I missed it.
* The two TJ&E games are in the pack, but I don't own them already?

So I can only guess that I bought the pack a while back, before the above titles were added. Would've thought they'd be retroactively included, but meh.

Also, Taxman's Sonic CD is included in the classics pack that's on sale. Does that mean it's available in the new interface?

Totally can't wait to get stuck into this. Fingers crossed navigation/playing is compatible with the Saturn USB pad.

Gameboy415

Thanks for the links. I had already been looking at the first one and figuring out which of the 'missing' titles I wanted to grab without realizing there was that Pack 5 bundle that has all of them.

Just came across another bundle that combines the other 2 packs I linked plus all the Sonic and ToeJam & Earl games for $21.08 if anyone is looking to get everything in one fell swoop:
"SEGA Mega Drive and Genesis Classics"
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/102625?snr=1_41_4__42

Sorcerer

Didn't Steam start offering a break for people who wanted to buy a bundle but had some games in it already? I could be wrong here, its not happening for the Sega bundle.

Battlechili

Banned
This is awesome! Emulation also seems to run a bit better too. But regardless, I'm so happy SEGA is so supportive of emulation and romhacking. Emulation is often seen as piracy, so its nice to see official legal support for emulation. I went ahead and bought some more Sega games on Steam in excitement! Now I'll finally get to try those Phantasy Star games I've been putting off!

Its kind of interesting. When Nintendo was asked about making official legitimate emulators, they consider it piracy and bad business. x_x
https://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp#legitimize

Guess SEGA really does what Ninten-don't, teehee. But really, this is amazingly cool of SEGA. The whole thing feels really retro in style, its cool. I like the extra features they're offering, and the ability to add modded romhacks can help extend the longevity of these old great titles.

Tain

I feel dumb, how do I upload a rom? I can't seem to get a replacement to have an effect using the tool.

edit: nvm I had it right, just some timing crust

Slygmous

People are uploading actual leaked beta/alpha roms of classic games..
I mean, it's cool that they're there for people to experience, but I can't imagine they'll be there long.

Didn't Steam start offering a break for people who wanted to buy a bundle but had some games in it already? I could be wrong here, its not happening for the Sega bundle.

They added the capability but it's up to publishers if they want to allow it or not.

hodgy100

It's amazing to see Sega accepting rom hacks and making them downloadable from Steam Workshop. What a time to be alive.

Terry Cavanagh's Flappy Bird clone, which is actually good? Sure, why not? Thanks!

Its a bit cut down from the flash version. Not because the megadrive isn't capable, I just ran out of steam from working on it

Also, Taxman's Sonic CD is included in the classics pack that's on sale. Does that mean it's available in the new interface?

No it's not. Taxman's Sonic CD port uses a completely different engine that was built by him. I already own the game and it is not selectable in the new 3D UI.

Few screenshots:

I have to admit that the new 3DUI is really nice and there are already game mods available in the Steam workshop, which is pretty awesome. My only complaint is that there isn't enough screen shader options. Right now it has HQ2X, scanlines toggle, and a "TV Projection" option that changes the curvature of the screen. I was hoping for a little more, maybe along the lines of the different CRT/ NTSC shaders seen in Retroarch. But overall, this is still a nice front end.

Also, it is a little disappointing that the US Genesis carts all use the black grid. It would be nice if they reflected the real box art more with the red box art too. Ah well.

Hey guys I uploaded the real version of Alien Soldier:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=674769616

Of fuck yes:

That's what I suspected. Weird that they include it in the collection then!

Yeah, but still a good deal. It will just create a separate installer.

I just love Sonic rom hacks for their remixed music. I know I'm not the only one.

There are already 100+ Sonic related mods in the workshop. I laughed at the Helen Keller mod. There are even some homebrews and hacks... Like that Donkey Kong Country one.

Of fuck yes:

Yeah, but still a good deal. It will just create a separate installer.

There are already 100+ Sonic related mods in the workshop. I laughed at the Helen Keller mod. There are even some homebrews and hacks... Like that Donkey Kong Country one.

Glad to see all this, but I bet licensed stuff from other parties other than Sega will get yanked off there real fast.

Also, Sega should allow people to mod the GUI and add there own Shaders as well. Let this thing grow through the community to be an even more incredible thing.

dlauv

This is so cool. It reflects the time of day automatically too. I wonder if it causes glare on the tv (doubt it).

454587300AD5AFDE94279B0EBDFB03A681DBF238

E4433D5339FB0F9DDBD670C1352FC9BDAB33AC52

I enjoy the fish eye. Pretty close to how I remember it on my 13" crt, but a little more bloomed out.

Glad to see all this, but I bet licensed stuff from other parties other than Sega will get yanked off there real fast.

Also, Sega should allow people to mod the GUI and add there own Shaders as well. Let this thing grow through the community to be an even more incredible thing.

I would love to see them add:

- Linux/ Steam OS support (and Mac, why not?)
- Custom shaders, I would love to have something like this as an option:
- Sega CD support (surely this can be added?)
- 32x support

Top Bottom