• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega to upgrade Megadrive / Genesis Steam game hub. Adds Mod Support!

joeblow

Just came across another bundle that combines the other 2 packs I linked plus all the Sonic and ToeJam & Earl games for $21.08 if anyone is looking to get everything in one fell swoop:
"SEGA Mega Drive and Genesis Classics"
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/102625?snr=1_41_4__42

If I buy the package, will each game show up individually on my Steam UI "games owned" library page, or will it only show the front end program to launch into the UI so I can select the game to play?

ArjanN

If I buy the package, will each game show up individually on my Steam UI "games owned" library page, or will it only show the front end program to launch into the UI so I can select the game to play?

The latter.

It only shows as 'SEGA Genesis & Mega Drive Classics' in your Steam game list.

Totally missed this was out. Gave it a shot and holy shit this is the best. Sega can have all my money, just keep dropping new shit in here. I love it.

BiggNife

For all of the technical issues and copyright infringement that Sega needs to sort out, I am still really glad this exists

I've always been meaning to try stuff like Sonic 3 Complete and Knuckles in Sonic 1 and now I have an easy way to do so

Also BlazeHedgehog (aka Sega1991) put up the No Flickies mod of Sonic 3D Blast with the creator's permission and I should finally try that too, it sounds like it makes the game actually playable

shaowebb

HOLY!?!?! Someone translated the text adventure side stories from japanese that were done for Phantasy Star and uploaded them as mods that'll boot instead of the game!

Plus I can now play as Sally Acorn in every Sonic game and its amazing.

Also wtf kirby, mario and DK? Some of this shit gonna get shutdown...

BiggNife

HOLY!?!?! Someone translated the text adventure side stories from japanese that were done for Phantasy Star and uploaded them as mods that'll boot instead of the game!

Plus I can now play as Sally Acorn in every Sonic game and its amazing.

Also wtf kirby, mario and DK? Some of this shit gonna get shutdown...

I'm surprised the Nintendo stuff hasn't been taken down already. Most of the ROMs that have just been unlicensed Genesis games (Contra Hard Corps, Batman Forever, etc) have been taken down pretty quickly.

I'm ok with this. If you assholes keep uploading obvious takedown garbage that this becomes too much overhead and a great idea is removed I'm gonna start slugging arms so goddamn hard.

o9xyfBMjT52YZ4NNvOdX_Kid%20Punches%20Kid%20Helmets.gif

Using the royal 'you' here. :)

FyreWulff

all the idiots will get their laughs, but I think Sega will just probably get all the accounts banned and move on from there.

This is inevitable. Sega does have to stamp their foot down on all of the people uploading commercial ROM's and copyrighted material. I wonder if Sega can move to a screening process? Does valve allow that?

Also looking at the way things are going now... I think there should also be a "multi-cart" in the game library just for homebrew games like Crazy Bus and Wolfenstein 3D. Wolf 3D only comes packaged with the shareware levels, so I don't see any problem with this one. It's just a real mess to see unrelated homebrew games uploaded as mods for Alex Kidd and Wonder Boy III.

I've been going through the workshop reporting any copyright offenders. I really don't want to see them ruin it for the rest of us. I know posting links to their Workshop pages probably would be frowned upon here (for good reason) but I think it would also help get them reported faster, no? Ah well.

Could you imagine a Nintendo version of this on Steam? My god... 2-3 million seller easily.

Yeah. I think Nintendo would rather sell stuff like Mario Maker rather than directly let you make your own romhacks though. And considering they've taken down videos of romhacks on YouTube, they really don't appear to like anything remotely related to emulation being used by fans (that wasn't made by them, of course).

It's a shame too because programs that already exist like PK Hack and Lunar Magic would make a hypothetical Nintendo Workshop really incredible.

SOLDIER

Still wondering if there's a way to register the d-pad while playing the games. I really want to have access to both the analog stick and d-pad.

Also is there a way to remove the background grid while in fullscreen? I think I'd rather just have black bars.

How does one begin modding?

Finding where each individual game is installed and replacing things?

If you want to add mods to the workshop, go into your Steam tools list and install the 'SEGA Genesis and Mega Drive Classics Workshop Tool'. You can use it upload modified ROM files.

The games are located in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sega Classics\data\ directory as .pak files, as well as the ~\common\Sega Classics\uncompressed ROMs directory. To extract .pak files, read this: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Sega_Mega_Drive_Classics

As for actual Genesis/ Mega Drive ROM modding and hacking, there are tons of resources online.

Nanashrew

Banned

It was going to happen sooner or later. I'm okay with it though cause I'd like to see the original authors uploading them because it's their work. And if someone else is uploading their work that it prevents the original authors from even uploading their stuff.

Some exceptions can be made I guess if you have explicit permission from the author to do so, or try your best to reach the author if they've been M.I.A. for years. BlazeHedgehog did his best to reach out to get ahold of SIK for Super Sonic in Sonic 3D Blast (and I believe he is still trying) but he's M.I.A. So I can make that exception and I think most everyone else does too since it's still up.

Sonic 3 Complete=GOD!!

One question though: I can't buy a BKIII just SoR3 is that the same thing if I use the mod?

You can download the BKIII mod and play it if you have purchased SoR3. It is the same game, but BKIII has better balancing and less censorship than its western counterpart.

How do you play the mods? Downloaded some but don't know how to boot it.

Just click on a cartridge and press the "mods" option.

IwdIqwa.png

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
This front end reminds me of New Retro Arcade when you actually start playing the SNES in the environment. It's too bad that it doesn't even have the filter options of the original front end, though. Once they fix controller support I can see it being charming enough.

Cody_D165

Banned
holy shit, I'm playing as Guile in Streets of Rage 2.

(I'm already addicted to combing this workshop for game mods and can't wait to see what people do with this.)

edit: THERE IS A ROMHACK OF SONIC 1 WHERE YOU PLAY AS A RING AND COLLECT SONICS

0AF3D5368D7092CBBE2D19085F9F57271359A98E

BiggNife

It was going to happen sooner or later. I'm okay with it though cause I'd like to see the original authors uploading them because it's their work. And if someone else is uploading their work that it prevents the original authors from even uploading their stuff.

Some exceptions can be made I guess if you have explicit permission from the author to do so, or try your best to reach the author if they've been M.I.A. for years. BlazeHedgehog did his best to reach out to get ahold of SIK for Super Sonic in Sonic 3D Blast (and I believe he is still trying) but he's M.I.A. So I can make that exception and I think most everyone else does too since it's still up.

For the record, Blaze did finally get formal permission from Sik (he doesn't post on Sonic Retro anymore but he's on twitter) to post the No Flickes and Super Sonic in Sonic 3D Blast mods, and he's updated the descriptions to reflect that. Sik doesn't use steam and only uses Linux so there's almost no way he'd upload the mods himself anyway.

I will say in my personal opinion that if someone's just straight up gone off the grid and there's no way to ask permission, then submitting it to the workshop is okay. But that's a rare exception, and most of the time these creators are still active online somewhere.

At the very least, all of the top mods seem to be uploaded by their actual creators. Some guy uploaded Sonic Classic Heroes as soon as the workshop went up, but Flamewing told that guy to take it down and now Flamewing himself uploaded it. I'm willing to bet we'll see more instances of that over the next week or so.

NinjaFighter Stone

Er, I'd say maybe don't publicize this sort of stuff. It is definitely illegal and violates both GAF's and the Steam Workshop's TOS.

Maxey

I got those free Sega games from a while ago, that included 3 Mega Drive games from this pack.

They work fine on the old launcher but I just can't get them to work on the new 3D one. When I select a game to play, nothing happens, there's just a blank screen on the TV.

What's going on? I have no mods or anything.

Quikies83

This is fantastic.. Absolutely love it!
Now I need the sonic and Toe Jam and Earl games in my collection.
Cool atmosphere.. Super nostalgia

Quikies83

anyone having problem with this?

looks like there's a conflict between mouse and gamepad (Xbone pad for the record)
Im using the Xbone pad as well.
I haven't noticed any problems yet.
I'm also playing on "beautiful" quality. One step down from the max, which gave a little performance hit for me.

Er, I'd say maybe don't publicize this sort of stuff. It is definitely illegal and violates both GAF's and the Steam Workshop's TOS.

I'm not the one that's violating the Steam Workshop TOS, and I don't see any issues with posting links to these pages either. But, I guess I will stop posting links anyway. I flagged everything that I've linked so far that shouldn't be in the workshop. But Sega hasn't reacted to taking most of this stuff down yet.

Nanashrew

Banned
For the record, Blaze did finally get formal permission from Sik (he doesn't post on Sonic Retro anymore but he's on twitter) to post the No Flickes and Super Sonic in Sonic 3D Blast mods, and he's updated the descriptions to reflect that. Sik doesn't use steam and only uses Linux so there's almost no way he'd upload the mods himself anyway.

I will say in my personal opinion that if someone's just straight up gone off the grid and there's no way to ask permission, then submitting it to the workshop is okay. But that's a rare exception, and most of the time these creators are still active online somewhere.

At the very least, all of the top mods seem to be uploaded by their actual creators. Some guy uploaded Sonic Classic Heroes as soon as the workshop went up, but Flamewing told that guy to take it down and now Flamewing himself uploaded it. I'm willing to bet we'll see more instances of that over the next week or so.

Oh nice! That's really good to know! I also agree with you in case someone goes off the grid.

And yeah, we'll definitely see more of that in the coming weeks. Just not much that can be done but to be attentive about who's uploading what so that the original author gets the credit they deserve.

Layell

this needs better by game organization, but I love it so much.

Bought pack 4 for Gunstar and Alien Soldier (the latter of which I never played).
Any other Treasure games worth picking up let me know. I have S3&K already and will see about getting the others on a sale soon.

This is so good.

Lork

This is absolutely nuts and I really hope it's panning out well for Sega. This deserves to be rewarded.

Do you think it would be possible to make a romhack for Alien Soldier to split the controls out onto 6 buttons? That game needs it so bad.

Had a ton of these games previously, and to support the cause, bought every pack I didn't own (especially since they're on sale for another day or two), even with ones I may not play anytime soon. This is freaking awesome, love everything about this so far.

Toe Jam & Earl pls

Tarin02543

This is totally frustrating, it is impossible to use a xbox one controller with this game.

The game wants you to assign buttons to a virtual six button genesis joypad, the problem is that the xbox controller does not have enough buttons to assign all 6 virtual buttons to.

If you leave X Y Z blank, it refuses to save your configuration and you cannot use your controller.

WHY

Daffy Duck

I'm tempted in buying the full works of games for £26 but how good are they? Any performance issues or are they 100% faithful?

This is totally frustrating, it is impossible to use a xbox one controller with this game.

The game wants you to assign buttons to a virtual six button genesis joypad, the problem is that the xbox controller does not have enough buttons to assign all 6 virtual buttons to.

If you leave X Y Z blank, it refuses to save your configuration and you cannot use your controller.

WHY

Use L1 + R1?

Also does anyone know of a way to remap the quicksave function to an xbone controller? I want to play these games using BPM and would prefer not to have to use a keyboard for anything.

jjasso21

Wow that sounds cool. I think I'll purchase it off steam. I already own it for the PS3, but I can double-dip just for the mod support.

Teletraan1

Banned
I have had this in my Steam library forever and never really played much outside of the Phantasy Star games and Shining Force 1+2. My saves are now missing but the interface of the old setup was so terrible that I couldn't even bother. Now with mod support and a decent interface I will definitely give this a go.

Top Bottom