• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA Vintage Collection: Monster World coming to XBLA!

Someone explain the Backbone hate, please.
I thought the Sonic ports were fine...

Backbone are very slap-dash and don't give two shits about emulators they make being 100% accurate, the xbla sonic games are ok but far from their original greaness in image quality (no fecking shaders please!) and sound emulation (rolling will blow your ear drums in sonic 1)

PLUS they butchered up sonic 3 by removing the original save slot screen, can't replay the game with emeralds as super sonic, can't do a level select from when you finish the game, have to rely on save states which means no super sonic in the first few levels, ever.

Blunt

Banned
Perhaps they are saving Dragon's Trap for a second Wonderboy collection with the original arcade game and Monster Lair?

Anyway, Day 1.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I don't know this game, nor do I know M2, but damn it looks like they did a hell of an amazing job with the presentation - Sega, let these guys handle everything else from now on please.

Sega owns the Guardian Heroes IP dude. The XBLA version, just like the GBA sequel, was published by Sega.

Oh I had no idea they owned the IP. I guess they forged a deal with Microsoft to keep it exclusively on XBLA, unless there is some other strange reason as to why it isn't on PSN.

Oh I had no idea they owned the IP. I guess they forged a deal with Microsoft to keep it exclusively on XBLA, unless there is some other strange reason as to why it isn't on PSN.

Probably because Treasure have only directly developed for Wii and X360 so far this gen, but no PS3. Could be all about Treasure being only large enough to be able to support one platform at a time or, perhaps, Sega and MS going exclusive for these titles, as it does seem that MS has courted them for their classic output for XBLA very specifically, with Radiant Silvergun, Ikaruga, and Guardian Heroes all XBLA only.

I don't know this game, nor do I know M2, but damn it looks like they did a hell of an amazing job with the presentation - Sega, let these guys handle everything else from now on please.
Sega's been working with M2 for a while now. They shifted over the PS2 Sega Ages line to them near the end (which led to the awesome Fantasy Zone, Phantasy Star, Monster World and Treasure Box collections), and M2 does all Sega's Wii/3DS Virtual Console stuff (featuring the most accurate emultation in the industry). Sega moving them to XBLA/PSN retro releases is about the best news 360 and PS3 owners could hope for.

entremet

Sega owns the Guardian Heroes IP dude. The XBLA version, just like the GBA sequel, was published by Sega.

Hasn't PSN been weary of having too many retro titles, preferring to have more original, art house titles? I'm sure Sega would love to get their games on as many viable platforms as possible.

A Sega mod at Sega forums told me it had nothing to do with Treasure and Sony's relationship or MS making it exclusive to XBLA. Apparently, a PSN version is not totally off the table yet.

PLUS they butchered up sonic 3 by removing the original save slot screen, can't replay the game with emeralds as super sonic, can't do a level select from when you finish the game, have to rely on save states which means no super sonic in the first few levels, ever.

This most of all. The best way to play Sonic 3K is still the Wii VC.

I would also like to include my excitement with added disappointment for The Dragon's Trap.

I couldn't imagine wanting to play these games with an xbox controller, the dpad obviously isn't an option and using the joystick to emulate digital controls never works out very well.

Tain

I couldn't imagine wanting to play these games with an xbox controller, the dpad obviously isn't an option and using the joystick to emulate digital controls never works out very well.

I have stock 360 controllers with d-pads that I like about as much as the Dual Shock d-pads I've used. In no way is it not an option. I'll definitely be playing Wonder Boy in Monster Land with an arcade stick, though, since it's an arcade game and all.

daevv

I'll be buying this collection even though I never played much. Hoping it will pave the way for Phantasy Star III and IV.

I will buy this. I wish there were more older games on XBLA.

Game Room despite the costs has some of the better old games from Atari 2600, Intellivision, and Konami Arcade.

Psxphile

Man, I hope these come to PSN.

The only Wonder Boy I've played (not counting the arcade Wonder Boy/Adventure Island... thing) was Monster Land (I think that was the name?) on my old Sega Master System II. Good times. Controls were a little wonky, but you acclimate quickly. I always wanted to play The Dragon's Trap as it appeared to follow directly after Monster Land but I was never able to find a copy of it back then. But the VG&CE magazine review and guide made it out to be the "Metroid/Adventure of Link" hybrid of the SMS with its huge maps, swordplay and backtracking and I was all over that.

That's Dragon's Trap, the 2nd game in the series
But... it's called Wonder Boy III? Let's not make things confusing now.

watership

I played the arcade version so much, that when the machine broke, the owner broke it to me slowly when I showed up one day.

GhaleonEB

Bought, no questions asked. I like the Sega that's putting this and Sonic CD out.

M2!

No Dragon's Trap, but whatever. Monster Land is all this really needs to be worth it.

I was hoping for Dragon's Trap as well, it's one of my favorite games to this day. Still, I'll take it, especially since I haven't played two of the three.

Dave Long

Banned
Um... if I'm not mistaken, Monster World IV was available on Gametap in english a long time ago. So this would just be the first time it's available on a console in the US, but not the first time it's available?

Uh, what about Wonder Dog? I'd prefer that instead.

wonder_dog.png

Um... if I'm not mistaken, Monster World IV was available on Gametap in english a long time ago. So this would just be the first time it's available on a console in the US, but not the first time it's available?
Gametap version was in Japanese.

I wonder if Sega localized it themselves or pulled an Xseed and just picked up the fantranslation ?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
You can spot an xbla thread because everyone asking for about a psn version.

They announced the 3 Monster World games on PSN since last year but there were no details after that...

One of my favorite series, hope this comes to PSN too. Is this the first time MWIV has been available in English?

I had the MWIV cart back in the day, it's quite playable even without knowing Japanese.

daevv

Got 1000/1000 on that some time ago, kinda bummed about Sunset Riders still.

Yeah, whats the story on that? I saw the vid in the game but it's not there.

No, but your post sounded as if you were only interested in supporting this release to ensure DD releases of PS III and IV.

I try to support most re-releases of old Sega stuff. Wasn't keen on that 4 game Dreamcast collection last year though.

No it's not, he was referring to Phantasy Star.

I see. I have played them on the disc. I like having the XBLA Phantasy Star II on my HDD though.

bjork

Yeah, whats the story on that? I saw the vid in the game but it's not there.

Supposedly it was ready to roll and then held back in favor of a full-on XBLA released once they saw the buzz that surrounded it, but that never happened. I don't know if that's related to Krome going under, since it's Konami's game, but you think it would've showed up by now.

Top Bottom