• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA Vintage Collection: Monster World coming to XBLA!

Rlan

Clearly they're waiting to make this collection:

wonderboycollection.png

(i made this, it's not real :p)

VC on 3DS already exists but it is its own thing.

On the other hand, I would say it should be a safe bet that Wii VC will transfer to and continue on Wii U.
TG16 and Game Gear are part of 3DS VC though, so there's the potential for quite a bit of the WB/MW series to land on it.

Wow, WB/Monster World is one of my most favorite series of all time, I have them all multiple times over on multiple systems and will continue to re-buy forever including this thing........

But its missing the best one in the series.

:/

Tizoc

They probably know that MWII is the most loved game in the series and they want to sell it individually.

Aha.
BTW how much will this collection be going for? ...and is this by the same team that did Sonic CD for PSN and XBL?

Liberty4all

Banned
I know nothing of Monster World or Monster World IV. I don't even know what Dragons Trap is but I poured so much money into Monster Land in the arcades. So so bought. I would die a happy man if it was on PSN and Vita compatible but chances of that will be pretty slim. Will be happy with XBLA version though.

I poured a crapload at the arcade into monster land too so this is day 1 for me.

I dunno if the VC version is still coming or not as well but I would get Monster World IV on that too just to have all of them on my Wii menu looking awesomely at me.

Don't even care if its in Japanese still lol, but I don't see why it would have to be. If they can get online VC games they can get a translated MWIV up.

Didn't realise that the TG16 version was on Wii VC. Which just makes their absence from this even more ridiculous. Still, I'm glad we're getting the collection at all :)
Wii VC also has the Turbo CD version of MW3. All total it has:

Monster World I
-Wonder Boy in Monster Land (SMS)
-Wonder Boy in Monster Land (Arcade) announced

Monster World II
-Dragon's Curse (TG16)
-Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap (SMS)

Monster World III
-Wonder Boy in Monster World (Genesis)
-The Dynastic Hero (TGCD)

Monster World IV
-Monster World IV (Genesis) announced

Tain

Aha.
BTW how much will this collection be going for? ...and is this by the same team that did Sonic CD for PSN and XBL?

800 points, and it's by M2, a different team. Sonic CD was a game rebuilt from the ground up on a new engine. Going by M2's history, these will be extremely accurate ports with a ton of options and bonus material.

Shion

Dammit Sega, we need a Monster World V now.

1: Give us a MWIII-style overworld
2: Bring back the awesome transformation elements from MWII
3: A modern and more sophisticated battle-system (a la Symphony of the Night)
4: Amazing hand-drawn graphics (do not even consider 2.5) and awesome animations

Make it a handheld release and I'll buy 5 copies Sega. You know I'm not bullshiting you.

Btw, I just heard the FM version of "The Monster's Lair" and it's amazing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SJUE_X3F38

They might not be interested in producing us a new one but I'm glad at least they have no problems re-releasing the old ones. I love looking at them all in a row from VC on my Wii, we even got ones we probably didn't need! :p

3DS GG WB and MWII next please.

Really would love to know why the best one is left out of this pack though. Go to the trouble of making it the arcade version of Land but then ignore the best in the series? :\

I wonder if the lack of Backbone is more to do with SEGA America being scaled down (the rivalry is over) rather than quality.

Because Sega still manages to be completely incompetent even when they do something incredible.
I guess that means a Steam version with either the meh-tastic emulator they use already or a quick Xbox360 port which doesn't work correctly at low resolution or anything less than or greater than 60 Hz sometime in the future?

It was recently rated by PEGI so it should still be coming to Europe, at least.
Please don't be crappy 50Hz (despite description saying 60Hz only) and 100 points more...I just want at least one PAL VC Mega Drive to run at the correct speed/refresh rate.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So what's the best Wonder Boy game?

Tizoc

800 points, and it's by M2, a different team. Sonic CD was a game rebuilt from the ground up on a new engine. Going by M2's history, these will be extremely accurate ports with a ton of options and bonus material.

800 POINTS is around 10 dollars right? That's a good price IMO.

M2 are also the ones that released Neo Geo games on PSN it seems.

I wonder if the lack of Backbone is more to do with SEGA America being scaled down (the rivalry is over) rather than quality.
Doubtful, seeing as this was announced almost an entire year ago.

It seems more like a digital download revival of the Sega Ages brand they ran near the end of the PS2's life.

So what's the best Wonder Boy game?
Personally, the arcade version of Wonder Boy in Monster Land is my favorite.

But strictly speaking on the Monster World game? I'd surmise most people would say Dragon's Trap. Although each of the four games mange to be wholly unique even while sharing the basic platform-action-adventure premise/genre.

And Mushihimesama Futari on Xbox 360, and Sega Ages 2500 games on PS2. These guys are great.

They also handle all Genesis, SMS, MSX, Game Gear and Sega arcade games on Virtual Console, co-developed the Fossil Fighters games and developed Konami's WiiWare Rebirth line.

dock

Dragon's Trap / Dragon's Curse is the best game in the series, but 'MWIV' and 'Wonderboy V MW' are both excellent too.

I'm curious to see what'll happen with these on PSN.

It's great that MWIV is finally getting an official English release. It's good to see Monster Land in English too, especially as the English language option is conspicuously missing from the Sega Ages collection.

Nope, they just scan the whole internet for feedback and requests now.
So let's keep asking for Skies of Arcadia II and Monster World V. :p

I'm a huge fan of both series and I can safely say that, MWIII in particular, resembles a lot a side-scrolling Zelda game.

I'd say MWIV closely resembles Zelda II in a few ways.

In a perfect world, M2 would digitally rerelease every single classic Ages pack.

Interesting that in very few replies, people have noted all four of the Monster World games as their favorite.

I think that says a lot for what a varied (and strong) collection of games the series is.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm heavily leaning on Monster World but... How is Monster World IV?

Shion

I'm heavily leaning on Monster World but... How is Monster World IV?
Great, if you don't mind its linear approach.

It features evolved mechanics and a better battle system, as well as some of the best dungeon design in the series.
The pepelogoo companion is also a very nice addition.

I loved Wonder Boy on the MegaDrive. My friend had it and we'd play it loads. Kind of my first taste of an RPG style game.

Be interested in the PSN games.

Just some scattered thoughts on Monster Land.

I had (still have!) Monster Land for the Sega Master System, a game I received when I was around eight years old from my uncle (whom I miss terribly, and was responsible for getting me into gaming entirely, which is another story).

I never did finish it as a child - I would get to the final level but always run out of time, lost in the maze. I managed to find the gem/bell of my own accord, but always picked the gem, because who wants a bell? It wasn't until years later that I realised the bell would have helped me through the maze.

I used to hate the Sphinx boss - the one that made you answer Sega/Japan trivia to avoid a fight with him. Used to die there a lot.

The game was, I think, the first one I played with a currency/upgrade system. I spent a lot of time seeking up hidden gold to save up for my favourite item, the Legendary Boots that let you zip around all over at high speed! I used to ignore the armour, I hated how it weighed you down - probably a mistake in retrospect.

I've sinced finished it on my DS, and it really does hold up wonderfully. I'm not familiar with the arcade version included in this pack, but if it's anything like the SMS port I can't recommend it enough.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Hmm... it's hard for me to choose between all the Monster World games, although I can say that Monster Lair is the worst by a long shot.

Also, it has nothing to do with Wonder Boy, but there are two more Vintage Collections on the way: Golden Axe and Streets of Rage. I wonder if the GA collection will feature the arcade-only game, Revenge of Death Adder or whatever it's called.

Tain

Also, it has nothing to do with Wonder Boy, but there are two more Vintage Collections on the way: Golden Axe and Streets of Rage. I wonder if the GA collection will feature the arcade-only game, Revenge of Death Adder or whatever it's called.

jesus

I'm going to end up buying every last one of these collections, aren't I?

DTJAAAAM

I wonder if the GA collection will feature the arcade-only game, Revenge of Death Adder or whatever it's called.

Man, I hope so. Always wanted to play that one after seeing it in magazines ages ago. The only cabinet I've ever seen was out of order.

Hmm... it's hard for me to choose between all the Monster World games, although I can say that Monster Lair is the worst by a long shot.

Is that from the same leak with Jojo's Bizarre Adventure XBLA?

Dammit Sega, we need a Monster World V now.

1: Give us a MWIII-style overworld
2: Bring back the awesome transformation elements from MWII
3: A modern and more sophisticated battle-system (a la Symphony of the Night)
4: Amazing hand-drawn graphics (do not even consider 2.5) and awesome animations

Make it a handheld release and I'll buy 5 copies Sega. You know I'm not bullshiting you.

Btw, I just heard the FM version of "The Monster's Lair" and it's amazing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SJUE_X3F38

I'd buy one for me and all my friends. Hell sega can start one of those damn kickstarter things and i would probably end up with an empty wallet. My brother and i are actually making our own wonderboy based on wonderboy IV.

Guess i'll have to just settle for buying all these collections.

Top Bottom