• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega: We Probably Won't Do More Mature Titles For The Wii

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

i1bqll.jpg

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
i'm the guy hiding under the pile of bodies. i'll be back.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
there was a time where you could apple pie all over my blueberry and still have room left for dessert

i think i've out grown you

/tugs collar

well i guess we could have three wonder women

god this is just like when everyone used to fight over who got to be snake-eyes

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Segata Sanshiro said:
Okay! You want to be slightly lame OG Aqua with the Orange shirt and green tights, or do you want to be the uber-lame redesign with the beard and the hook?

Beard and Hook

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I have no recollection of the past half-hour or so

Late to this thread, but I have something to tell SEGA about Dead Space Extraction.

Do you know why it sold like a steaming pile of garbage? Not because the game itself was crap, and certainly not because of the mature subject matter. On the contrary, it sounds like a pretty good game, and it undeniably has high production values. But it's a light gun shooter amongst a bevvy of light gun shooters that all sold poorly. It's a spinoff of game that people loved for what it was, a RE4-style horror game. I loved Dead Space more than the other guy (see username) and I didn't bother with Extraction for even $20 because I'm tired of on rails games that you complete once and throw away.

It's almost like a slap in the face when a developer gives me one of their franchises in on-rails format. How would people react if we were told about a brand new Devil May Cry Wii game...that exclusively uses Ebony and Ivory and pits you against Nero on rails. Nobody wants to fucking play a light gun DMC game, just like nobody wanted an on-rails Dead Space. You think the Japanese audience wanted that Dragon Quest Swords game as the big Wii announcement awhile back? No. I can go on and on.

And we don't want to be told by anyone that a light gun game fulfills that "hardcore" gap in the Wii's lineup, Reggie. I think that's the ultimate insult. Worse than a port, even.

Segata Sanshiro said:
You know you've done a good job burning down a thread when an on-topic post seems like a bizarre non-sequitar.
But how do we know it's dead for certain?

It could come back stronger then ever.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Segata Sanshiro said:
SHUT UP AQUAMAN

just because you spend more time running on water like a red Jesus then trying to swim in it, Flash.. come meet my Dolphin wi.."Friend"

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Epic Tier 3 Engineer said:
Late to this thread, but I have something to tell SEGA about Dead Space Extraction.

Do you know why it sold like a steaming pile of garbage? Not because the game itself was crap, and certainly not because of the mature subject matter. On the contrary, it sounds like a pretty good game, and it undeniably has high production values. But it's a light gun shooter amongst a bevvy of light gun shooters that all sold poorly. It's a spinoff of game that people loved for what it was, a RE4-style horror game. I loved Dead Space more than the other guy (see username) and I didn't bother with Extraction for even $20 because I'm tired of on rails games that you complete once and throw away.

It's almost like a slap in the face when a developer gives me one of their franchises in on-rails format. How would people react if we were told about a brand new Devil May Cry Wii game...that exclusively uses Ebony and Ivory and pits you against Nero on rails. Nobody wants to fucking play a light gun DMC game, just like nobody wanted an on-rails Dead Space. You think the Japanese audience wanted that Dragon Quest Swords game as the big Wii announcement awhile back? No. I can go on and on.

And we don't want to be told by anyone that a light gun game fulfills that "hardcore" gap in the Wii's lineup, Reggie. I think that's the ultimate insult. Worse than a port, even.
I feel it's worth noting that Dragon Quest Swords sold 486,222 copies and is the third best selling third party game on the Wii in Japan.

I'm not disagreeing with the general notion of your post, but there is a reason people kept making on rails spin-offs for the Wii, and that was in large part due to the success of titles like Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles and Dragon Quest Swords.

That bubble seems to have finally burst however.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
You know what pisses me off the more I see this posted to the front page...

No More Heroes (while not OMG MILLIONS success) did huge for Grasshopper, their best selling title from what I could figure out from GAF, they even celebrated it.

Is it mature because of the humor? The blood? No, the design is mature, it is a game an adult can enjoy with nerd jokes and it was a success for the developer of it.

And on-rails games are just bleh... I loved Umbrella Chronicles but when I finished it and couldn't ever bring myself to play it again I realized that kind of game is best left for arcades as a quick grab not a 60$ purchase.

Anyway, I think Mr. Nirolak wants his thread back.

This concludes tonight's episode of Masterpiece Carnival of Stupid.

Back in the cage, Thunder Monkey. Let's go.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Anyway, I think Mr. Nirolak wants his thread back.

This concludes tonight's episode of Masterpiece Carnival of Stupid.

Back in the cage, Thunder Monkey. Let's go.
Ok fine.

*stomps off angry*

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
pfft, Nirolak makes a new thread every 5 hours. I can't imagine him being particularly attached to any individual one.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
grandjedi6 said:
pfft, Nirolak makes a new thread every 5 hours. I can't imagine him being particularly attached to any individual one.
True. :lol

I don't mind them taking this wildly off tangent honestly. It doesn't seem there's that much left to talk about, as the thread was dead and they brought it back to life when they did that. :p

I suspect it shall die again in about 30 minutes.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Nirolak said:
I feel it's worth noting that Dragon Quest Swords sold 486,222 copies and is the third best selling third party game on the Wii in Japan.

I'm not disagreeing with the general notion of your post, but there is a reason people kept making on rails spin-offs for the Wii, and that was in large part due to the success of titles like Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles and Dragon Quest Swords.

Umm... except people bought DQS and RE:UC thinking that it would mean that more games would come to Wii in exchange

It worked for the DQ fans since DQ10 is coming to Wii I guess :lol

Nirolak said:

Those games are a big part of the reason why the "core" gaming audience has abandoned the Wii: they were supposed to be "test" games that would lead to bigger, better games once they showed that the audience was there. Instead, passing those "tests" led to more spin-offs and more "test" games.

If 3rd-party publishers had deliberately set out to drive the "core" gaming audience away from their Wii products, they couldn't have done a better job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom