• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega: We Probably Won't Do More Mature Titles For The Wii

Status
Not open for further replies.

legend166

Rez said:
lots of people in this thread seem to know better than the guy who both does this for a living and has the market research knowledge and numbers to back it up. Go figure.

Appeal to authority doesn't work when the authority in question would not exist by now if they had not been bought out and continue to lose money by the bucket loads.

SEGA would be much better placed focusing their Wii efforts on legacy franchises. The fact that the rumoured new 2D Sonic game isn't even coming out on the Wii tells me they have no idea what they're doing.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
wsippel said:
That's pretty much the point I'd say. It's a big title, serious effort, and the marketing budget you'd expect from a AAA game. If by "no matter what" you mean it would have sold the same without marketing, you're wrong. Modern Warfare 2 wouldn't have pulled the numbers it did if it weren't for one of the biggest marketing campaigns in the history of gaming, either. Marketing has nothing to do with the platform. If you want decent sales, you'll need a decent marketing budget. Or a whole lot of luck.
It would have sold comparably with basic marketing. Without any marketing, it's of course hard to get decent sales. DS:E had basic marketing, it's a decent game.

The issue with DS:E wasn't the marketing, I'm sure of this.

scitek

The issue with DSE is that it came out on a console that didn't have the first game in the series. That's like spinning off a movie franchise directly to video and expecting it to sell the same as the first movie's DVD. It's fucking idiotic.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
wmat said:
It would have sold comparably with basic marketing. Without any marketing, it's of course hard to get decent sales. DS:E had basic marketing, it's a decent game.

The issue with DS:E wasn't the marketing, I'm sure of this.

Perhaps it was because it was a light gun spin-off of a franchise so new most people outside of hardcore gamers have never heard of it?

Oh, and advertising took place. But the point of advertising is to inform people who don't already know about your game that it's there and they want to buy it.

Advertising to the people who already know its coming doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

This makes me sad because I just finished Madworld and thought that a sequel would be able to address most of the issues I have with it.

DR2K

Banned
schuelma said:
Dead Space Extraction should have sold more, no question..but come on with this comment:

"Basically, it’s like, okay, you got EA, who can put all the marketing muscle behind this"

I saw zero advertising for this game. None.

I saw plenty of advertising for it.

I think you're creating a fallacy when you pretend that a niche-fuck game like MadWorld has as much sales potential on Wii as like a new GTA/CoD would on 360.

Bayonetta will probably do better but it won't be because of some demographical rift between the Wii and the HD consoles, it's because mainstream gamers will be more receptive to it. It's still not going to do too well though, I don't think.

Also, publishers looking at something like Dead Space or Darkside Chronicles to determine their game plan is completely illogical. Let's say Jimmy goes to school and aces his test. Well, the school doesn't believe that he's smart enough, so they give him the same exact test again the next day. Jimmy is pissed about the school underestimating his intelligence, so instead of filling out the test again he just draws a giant dick. Does that mean that Jimmy is stupid? No, he's just annoyed about having to do the same shit over again, which is perfectly understandable.

I think those games not doing so hot reflects a more thrifty base of gamers than their sales potential. Look at how the GTA DLC did when it was released on a disc. Halo ODST did fantastic but not as great as Halo 3. This isn't at all because Halo and GTA aren't profitable franchises, that'd be silly to suggest. It's because the perceived value of those games is lower than their predecessors. Just like how no one wants to buy RE:UC 2 when they already played RE:UC, not to mention that light gun games isn't exactly a popular genre. The # of Wii rail shooters is pretty disproportionate compared to other consoles.

It's even harder with new IPs because gamers are going to be less willing to plop $50 for The Conduit or No More Heroes than they would for a game from an established series. And unfortunately for Sega, they really don't have many successful, established franchises outside of like Sonic and maybe Monkey Ball that they can count on. Which results in another epidemic of sorts where publishers will have a moderately successful game and immediately try and turn it into a cash cow. Capcom for example - Oh, Viewtiful Joe did okay on the GameCube? Line up a sequel and contract a Saturday morning cartoon, stat! This is going to be the next Pokemon!

I think the best strategy right now for Sega would be to reboot Sonic, Monkey Ball, and some of their older properties (Phantasy Star, Streets of Rage, NiGHTS) across all of the major platforms and try and re-establish their credibility before branching out. This doesn't apply specifically to Sega, most publishers could learn from that.

Fuck I'm tired of typing.

RurouniZel

DR2K said:
I saw plenty of advertising for it.

Yeah, on gaming websites, because EVERYONE goes to those on a daily basis right?

This is what I'm talking about. "Preaching to the choir" is not a good form of advertisement.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
DR2K said:
TV. I mainly watch wrestling(usually where most games are advertised), I remember that damn commercial, seen it enough times.

I never saw or heard of a Dead Space Extraction commercial.

scitek said:
Third parties were caught with their pants down with the Wii's success, and they still have no idea how on earth to market to its audience, so just focus on the HD twins and shut up already. I don't care anymore.
Pretty much how I feel, but even then they wouldn't shut up. They'd just go back to whining about how only Nintendo makes money on the Wii and how they're all going out of business because of it.

legend166 said:
SEGA would be much better placed focusing their Wii efforts on legacy franchises. The fact that the rumoured new 2D Sonic game isn't even coming out on the Wii tells me they have no idea what they're doing.
No company can seriously be that stupid can they? If they end up doing that I'd say it's about time Sega gets the Old Yeller treatment, we could even offer gaf's biggest Sega fanboy for the job (that Segato guy maybe?).

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
RurouniZel said:
Perhaps it was because it was a light gun spin-off of a franchise so new most people outside of hardcore gamers have never heard of it?

Oh, and advertising took place. But the point of advertising is to inform people who don't already know about your game that it's there and they want to buy it.

Advertising to the people who already know its coming doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
So how would you advertise DS:E so that it reaches the mass of people who have the platform? That's the crux: A huge amount of Wii gamers isn't the audience for the title. It's near impossible to turn grandma around. Or your typical SSBB junkie.

How many people would have enjoyed this kind of game on the platform at max? Like 100k? How much advertising do you want to put out to reach 100k people? I doubt it's a profitable strategy to go crazy with advertising when noone listens.

Tiktaalik

amtentori said:
uhh...

weird how he says that DSE was the litmus test....

especially when he says that the games they put out are doing alright and will at least hit their targets... :S

I don't know he did say that they were initially shocked by their own games' weak sales. To me it seems like they're just going to squeak into their targets over time. Good but not great.

We've gone over reasons for the failure of DSE before and we don't have to quite go over it again, but I think the failure of DSE would really show those at SEGA that if you're going to put a game on the Wii it better have a real well known name before hand. Expect just Sonic games from now on.

Two interesting points he talks on that I think shows how Nintendo really made things difficult for 3rd parties on the Wii:

1) Extremely weak online support
- This comment shows that that if you're serious about putting any online support into a Wii game you got to build it yourself, and that's an additional thing that makes Wii development more expensive than it should be. Over the years Sony has built upon their online technology, but since launch Nintendo hasn't done anything. Nintendo has let down 3rd parties here and online interested Nintendo owners.

2) Nintendo hasn't built a base beyond kids and parents
- For all of Nintendo's talk about making games for everyone, they really haven't done anything compelling for anyone from tweens to 30 year olds. If Nintendo doesn't pave the way, that's just all the more difficult for 3rd parties. What SEGA is talking about here is what Sony noticed back in the 90s. Kids are more interested in what their older brother is playing. You don't have to market to them, you just have to market to their older brother, and tweens will want that. It's not surprising that 13 year olds are more interested in Modern Warfare than a lot of other games.

Nintendo has done fantastic for their own bottom line this gen, but a lot of the decisions they've made has made things more difficult for 3rd parties. Regardless of what the marketshare of the Wii looks like on paper, it's not surprising to see companies adjust what sort of games they put on the platform.

There was no advertisement campaign for Dead Space Extraction. There were only a couple internet banners on IGN/1up and that was it.

The fact that this rep is using that game as their litmus test is idiotic, when their games to ok despite being niche as well.

Here's an idea, why doesn't Sega try to make the games more marketable, period?

For Madworld, why not add some color? I know some of the appeal of the game is the black and white, but it seemed to really turn some people off.

For House of the Dead Overkill, I don't really know. You'd really have to change the genre. That was the biggest thing holding it back. Maybe House of the Dead: Overkill: Extraction Chronicles as a third person shooter? Imagine that. :lol

It's worth noting that there's a UFC program on at this very moment that is "Presented by Bayonetta." I think I saw a web banner once that was "Presented by MadWorld."

Oh well, I'll continue to get games that interest me on Wii. "Mature" or not.

Great we won't be getting anymore mature games thanks to all of the people who didn't buy the games. I bought MadWorld at launch, House of the Dead on Amazon, and The Conduit for my brother for Christmas.

Wonder if Muramasa is doing well?

Does anyone think Bayonetta is doing good...I know it's been out at slot of stores.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Rez said:
lots of people in this thread seem to know better than the guy who both does this for a living and has the market research knowledge and numbers to back it up. Go figure.

The irony here is that you're referring to a guy who is representing Sega.

SEGA.

If Sega's Thinkie Guys are actually smarter than random forum dwellers, then explain the Sonic Cycle. And that's just for starters.

But seriously, the real joke on everyone is that the industry is getting to the point that random dudes on gaming forums /can/ speak on equal terms with men paid big salaries because those men with big salaries clearly have a mediocre understanding of gaming - and the proof is in the troubles the industry is facing. Underperforming titles, incomplete releases, insane genre saturation with dog piles of first person shooters, racers, and sports games. Entire genres being established and ran into the ground in the space of 3 years. And about a dozen other hilarities brought to us by the brilliant men who are supposed to be the ones doing this for a living.

Going back to what an earlier post in the thread asked: no, I don't think half the guys working in the industry don't understand that mature is not a genre. They're no smarter than the average gamer, and the average /gamer/ doesn't understand that mature is not a genre. I'd bet that one reason why people are overthinking games on the Wii however, is that they're still (STILL!!) confused by what the Wii even is or what Nintendo is doing. They think there's some riddle or enigma to crack because they believe their own bizarre, contrived propaganda that's been in circulation for the last 3 years about Nintendo.

What's surreal about all this is that it's like we're in some sort of Twilight Zone where nobody in the industry remembers 2004 and how you made a good game that sells good for less than 50 million dollars.

I imagine this funny scenario where the guys at game publishers look at focus group studies and those studies say "everybody who's not a granny or a soccer mom wants cutting edge shaders from the future, has a 100 inch holographic television, and is bored with any game that doesn't look like James Cameron's Avatar. BEAMED DIRECTLY INTO THEIR MINDS." Meahwhile, the little shits feeding the suits this "demographic data" are spinning it to sell televisions and next years nVidia chipsets because that's good for the industry, since more than half of the population is playing Gears of War on SDTV with composite cables and cannot tell the fucking difference anyway.

ivysaur12

Banned
I didn't buy Dead Space Extraction. I didn't like Dead Space and I'm fucking sick of lightgun games on the Wii. It might be a great game and maybe I'll pick it up one day, but there was nothing that was really pushing me to get it. Same reason I didn't buy Darkside Chronicles. UC was fun, I guess, but it's not really the type of game I'm into.

I love my Wii for the games that are on it, but I don't think publishers really understand how to market games. It's like Crystal Bearers. Yeah it's a fun game, but you can definitely tell Square wanted the game "Wii-ized". That's why most of the challenging content is not even remotely related to the main quest. Actually, most of the content isn't related to the main quest. It's patronizing and it's not a way for "mature" (I hate that word) games to sell on the Wii.

EDIT: And Sega, you've said multiple times that the Conduit and HOTD:O have exceeded expectations. Yay. See what worked there and try to emulate that instead of looking at another publisher's blatant failure.

schuelma said:
Umm where?
There were, like, at least two or three threads on GAF and some scattered web banners. Ooh, and some developer hype vids on the Nintendo channel. If that's not enough to move a rail shooter spin off of a fledgling franchise to a user base already wary of rail shooters and spin offs I don't know what is.

RurouniZel

wmat said:
So how would you advertise DS:E so that it reaches the mass of people who have the platform? That's the crux: A huge amount of Wii gamers isn't the audience for the title. It's near impossible to turn grandma around. Or your typical SSBB junkie.

How many people would have enjoyed this kind of game on the platform at max? Like 100k? How much advertising do you want to put out to reach 100k people? I doubt it's a profitable strategy to go crazy with advertising when noone listens.

DS: E is a game in a science fiction setting yes? Did they air the commercial I never saw or heard of but was apparently aired during wrestling programs as noted above on, say, the Sci-Fi channel (er, ScyFy)? Any ads in science fiction magazines or websites? I didn't see any, but if there were please illuminate me as I must have just missed ALL OF THEM.

Tiktaalik

"Dead Space: Extraction marketing where?!!" talk is frankly stupid as it's all anecdotal. From my personal experience the local Gamestop side board infront of the store had a DSE ad on it for half of August and most of September. You couldn't walk into the Gamestop without seeing it. Sounds like good advertising to me!

Ignoring anecdotal evidence about advertising there's tons of reasons why DSE failed, most importantly price, and name brand

schuelma

Tiktaalik said:
- For all of Nintendo's talk about making games for everyone, they really haven't done anything compelling for anyone from tweens to 30 year olds. If Nintendo doesn't pave the way, that's just all the more difficult for 3rd parties. What SEGA is talking about here is what Sony noticed back in the 90s. Kids are more interested in what their older brother is playing. You don't have to market to them, you just have to market to their older brother, and tweens will want that. It's not surprising that 13 year olds are more interested in Modern Warfare than a lot of other games.

Opiate has expanded on this in the other two dozen threads on this topic, but this is where there was a disconnect between Nintendo and 3rd parties- Nintendo looked at this as leaving entire markets to 3rd parties to exploit and take over. 3rd parties looked at it as an undeveloped risky market. Of course, with the whole "we can't compete with Nintendo" mantra, who knows how successful Nintendo making the more mature games would have been in terms of 3rd party support.

neoanarch

Tiktaalik said:

Not this bullshit again.

dani_dc

I was under the impression that House of the Dead Overkill was doing very well in Europe.

wmat said:

You know, perhaps the over 1 million people that played Umbrella Chronicles might be interested in it?

I love this idea that only 100K people could possible want the game when we have other similar games in the same genre that sold over a million.

The market is there, it exists, but products don't sell themselves unless people know they're there.

wmat said:
It sold like 30,000 on its release day. That is leaps and bounds beyond DS:E.

Edit: Sorry, 20,000

You do realize that selling 20,000 on release day is what Xbox 360 JRPGs do in Japan, not Final Fantasy? FF:CC on GC sold way, way better than that. If 20,000 first day sales is the best that FF:CC-TCB can muster in Japan, where the Wii is even more overwhelmingly dominant than it is in North America, then I'm gonna be honest here and say it's a total failure.

Kaijima said:
I imagine this funny scenario where the guys at game publishers look at focus group studies and those studies say "everybody who's not a granny or a soccer mom wants cutting edge shaders from the future, has a 100 inch holographic television, and is bored with any game that doesn't look like James Cameron's Avatar. BEAMED DIRECTLY INTO THEIR MINDS."

PlayStation 9. Teleport yours today!

EDarkness

Tiktaalik said:

I don't buy this. Who plays Metroid or Zelda? Definitely not grandmas, and maybe some kids. Generally, it's the "core" guys who play those games. Mario has always been considered a "core" franchise, as well. It has appeal to everyone, of course, but "core" gamers flock to it like everyone else. What do people expect Nintendo to do differently? They're basically making the games they have always made. I don't know why people would get this idea that Nintendo would somehow start making God of War games or whatever. That's just not gonna happen. They've pretty much always left that market to 3rd parties. If they don't want to bite, then I don't see how that's Nintendo's fault.

I am kind of confused. They are going to stop making mature wii games because the 12-14 year olds are playing shooters on 360/ps3

ummm aren't those little fucks NOT supposed to be playing those games? Couldn't he get in trouble for blatantly saying he is targetting them?

ZAK

Tiktaalik said:
If Nintendo paved the way, third parties would have to compete with a Nintendo game!!!

Aaron Strife said:
Bayonetta will probably do better but it won't be because of some demographical rift between the Wii and the HD consoles, it's because mainstream gamers will be more receptive to it. It's still not going to do too well though, I don't think.

Isn't Madworld still below 100k?

Bayonetta will shit all over that easily on the 360 alone.

schuelma

DR2K said:
I know I saw it. If not that, then I have no idea what I'm remembering. :lol

Maybe you got it from the same world where PS3 was going to outsell the Wii in Nov. NPD.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Unknown Soldier said:
You do realize that selling 20,000 on release day is what Xbox 360 JRPGs do in Japan, not Final Fantasy? FF:CC on GC sold way, way better than that.
Still better than 9k in 5 days.

dani_dc said:
You know, perhaps the over 1 million people that played Umbrella Chronicles might be interested in it?

I love this idea that only 100K people could possible want the game when we have other similar games in the same genre that sold over a million.

The market is there, it exists, but products don't sell themselves unless people know they're there.
UC has the RE tag - autosales.

RurouniZel said:
DS: E is a game in a science fiction setting yes? Did they air the commercial I never saw or heard of but was apparently aired during wrestling programs as noted above on, say, the Sci-Fi channel (er, ScyFy)? Any ads in science fiction magazines or websites? I didn't see any, but if there were please illuminate me as I must have just missed ALL OF THEM.
I'm in Germany, so I don't really know - the game wasn't really advertised here in mass media for obvious reasons.

I was just extrapolating from what I saw on gaming sites; interviews, features, previews, banners - that's basic advertising.

RurouniZel said:
I saw it a lot for about a week or two on the usual trifecta of late night game ads, adult swim, comedy central, and spike tv (well maybe not all 3 but I saw it quite a bit). I don't see it on youtube but it iirc correctly it was like a 15 sec spot where most of the time it had the cover art on the screen.

RurouniZel

Bending_Unit_22 said:
I saw it a lot for about a week or two on the usual trifecta of late night game ads, adult swim, comedy central, and spike tv (well maybe not all 3 but I saw it quite a bit). I don't see it on youtube but it iirc correctly it was like a 15 sec spot where most of the time it had the cover art on the screen.

That explains a lot. :lol

But in seriousness, if they were there then there was some advertising. I can only go from personal experience, so the following can be taken as bullshit or the gospel truth (whichever side you're one). All I know is that I saw ads for Dead Space in TV and magazines. I did not see them for Extraction.

Tiktaalik said:
"Paving the way" I think also means making things easy for 3rd parties. Not including any real online support at all makes it pretty difficult to make the sort of online games that are popular with those from tweens to 30.

If Nintendo isn't interested in investing in 3rd parties well that's fine, but it looks like this is what you get.

This, however, I agree with. It's not that they can't make awesome games for the Wii, it's just that there isn't a strong online infrastructure in place by Nintendo themselves for the 3rd parties to set up shop in.

It's a shame, but I remember a time when games didn't require an incredible online multi-player to be great games though. So it's lacking a feature, if that breaks their games than maybe their games weren't all that great to begin with?

Tiktaalik

ZAK said:
If Nintendo paved the way, third parties would have to compete with a Nintendo game!!!

There's no harm in Nintendo working with small independent developers to give them a leg up with some cash and publishing. That's what Sony has been doing this generation. That's really what I'm talking about. I don't expect Nintendo to make a hardcore, mature Zelda or anything. That's silly and that would tarnish their brand.

"Paving the way" I think also means making things easy for 3rd parties. Not including any real online support at all makes it pretty difficult to make the sort of online games that are popular with those from tweens to 30.

If Nintendo isn't interested in investing in 3rd parties well that's fine, but it looks like this is what you get.

dani_dc

wmat said:
UC has the RE tag - autosales.
That in no way contradicts my point of there being least a 1 million fanbase for games such as this.

Resident Evil tag or not, that's 1 million people that got a "mature", on-rails, Wii game.

That's the audience they should had been trying to reach with their advertising.

dani_dc said:

It really helped RE:UC that it was one of the first on rails shooters for the Wii, came out about a year after the Wii, was part of a Capcom test, and has Resident Evil on the cover. I imagine many of the people who bought it did so for an RE game, in the hope of encouraging more RE4 type games on the Wii, because the liked on rails shooters, or just because they needed a good game at that time.

DSE on the other hand is what, one of a dozen similar games? It has no real fanbase for it its franchise, there are many other better game availible to a Wii owner, and even a fan of on rails games has got be fatigued by this point. I did buy RE:UC, but nothing on rails until RE: DC. That was just because it was on sale and I'm a huge RE fan.

Igo

At some point I guess you have to give up on thinking you can be the ones to buck the trend and have a break out hit on the Wii.

Actually, has there been one yet?

DR2K

Banned
schuelma said:
Maybe you got it from the same world where PS3 was going to outsell the Wii in Nov. NPD.

Well there's actually a TV spot for DSE, so I can't be totally crazy.

RurouniZel

Igo said:
At some point I guess you have to give up on thinking you can be the ones to buck the trend and have a break out hit on the Wii.

Actually, has there been one yet?

De Blob?

dani_dc

Bending_Unit_22 said:
It really helped RE:UC that it was one of the first on rails shooters for the Wii, came out about a year after the Wii, was part of a Capcom test, and has Resident Evil on the cover. I imagine many of the people who bought it did so for an RE game, in the hope of encouraging more RE4 type games on the Wii, because the liked on rails shooters, or just because they needed a good game at that time.

DSE on the other hand is what, one of a dozen similar games? It has no real fanbase for it its franchise, there are many other better game availible to a Wii owner, and even a fan of on rails games has got be fatigued by this point. I did buy RE:UC, but nothing on rails until RE: DC. That was just because it was on sale and I'm a huge RE fan.
Oh, I'm not denying any of that, I was merely pointing out that a fanbase for mature games does exist on the Wii and that's who EA should had market it too, since wmat seems convinced that there are only 100K people that might ever be interested in this sort of games for the wii.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Look at Dead Space. I was stunned. That was my litmus test. Basically, it’s like, okay, you got EA, who can put all this development muscle behind this, a third-person shooter that scored quite well on 360 and PS3. They should be able to actually hit this out of the park, right? I get the press release, saying it's a rail shooter, and I’m like, 'Woah.'"

Hero

So because an on-rails shooter game that's a spin-off to a NEW I.P. from EA on a system that didn't get the original main game sold like shit, you're not even going to try?

Keep on making those brilliant business decisions, Sega.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom