• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seinfeld Game - The Unofficial Pitch

Hello, the internet. We are Jacob Janerka (who made Paradigm, played by the likes of PewDiePie and Jacksepticeye) and Ivan Dixon (who directed the animated clip for Childish Gambino’s “Feels Like Summer” and pixel intros for The Simpsons, Adventure Time and Rick & Morty), and we would like to pitch to you a game about nothing, set in the Seinfeld-verse.

You may be thinking, “You idiots, why would you make a game based on a sitcom that last aired over 20 years ago and potentially incur the wrath of lawyers like Reddit user Dingdongs313 warned you about?” But yes, OK, actual lawyers also warned us to not touch it. (Although some of you may also suggest it’s worth us taking the risk of huge financial debt as long as you get to play the game.)

Turns out Seinfeld is actually still an incredibly relevant show whose relatability is timeless, with the show’s streaming rights bought by Netflix recently for half a billion dollars.

We want to do this the official way. However, we believe that pitching to the internet will show the demand for such a game, which will provide a better chance of this becoming a thing than us just sending a cold email. We want our email to be warm, if that makes any sense.

Is this a cash grab?
Honestly, we are just huge fans of the show. There is an incredible list of better scams and cash grabs that are less of a long shot. We could live like kings and commit mail fraud, however we'd much rather follow our hearts.

We both currently work full-time, Jacob in game development and Ivan in animation. However, this game is something we’ve been talking about for years and, in fact, it’s how we met. Our friendship is forged through a popular ‘90s sitcom. We can’t think of any bond stronger than that, not even the one between an infant and mother.

Why pitch to the internet?
We need actual, real internet people to show that there is a demand for it. In the past, Jacob has shown snippets of the concept to great public reception with articles on IGN, Nerdist, and reaching the front page of Reddit twice. However, this is a full pitch rather than a few screenshots. We need you to share this far and wide if you would like this to happen.

"The Pitch"
The ‘90s were ripe for video game cash-ins on popular franchises. In this game we imagine, “What if there was an official Seinfeld point-and-click adventure game that was never released?”

Why Seinfeld as a point and click?
For a “show about nothing” Seinfeld has a surprisingly rich world. There are so many memorable recurring characters, plot lines and locations as the four protagonists navigate new relationships, jobs and rivals.

The show existed during the time of iconic adventure games such as Monkey Island, Full Throttle, King’s Quest and many more.

Point-and-click adventure games often involve some sort of task or mission that requires a mix of conversational skills, puzzle solving, item collection and use. In Seinfeld, conflict also arises regularly from miscommunication or involves novel items (think episodes like The Pez, The Junior Mint, The Statue, The Calzone, The Fusilli Jerry, The Couch, The Big Salad etc). All this melds perfectly with the point-and-click formula!

Jerry, George, Elaine and Kramer all have such strong voices, allowing us to write dialogue that feels distinct. Hopefully when you read the dialogue you can almost hear their cadance and delivery, without the need for full voice-overs (depending on the practicality and interest from the original cast.)

What kind of game are you making?
Well, firstly, here’s what we DON’T want to make. We don’t want to just create a fan service game that repeats jokes or plots that people already are familiar with. We will write a brand new story revolving around the Seinfeld characters designed to work in this medium, remaining faithful to the tone and themes of the show.

Like the show’s running length, we intend for the game to take roughly half an hour. This is ultimately scaleable and multiple half-hour episodes can be made or added later as DLC. Also like the show, the story would take place over three separate acts. In each act you will assume the role of Jerry, George or Elaine as their stories interweave and overlap with one another, just like the show. Similar to the game Day of the Tentacle, you will be allowed to play multiple characters. Kramer appears throughout the story, but will not be playable, as he works better narratively as a “wild card,” someone who can influence the story but not be controlled.

Who’s the audience?
While Seinfeld finished its run over 20 years ago, it remains a relevant show that is still incredibly relatable for today's audiences. There is a reason that Netflix bought Seinfeld for half a billion dollars. It will appeal to original fans who watched the show on air as well as the younger generation of fans discovering it on streaming services who, if they can stream it, probably have a device on which to play the game. However, its main focus will be 20-35-year-old millenials who grew up with technology and watched Seinfeld.

Would Jerry & Larry want new content to exist?
We’re aware that Jerry and Larry are not interested in doing a reunion show or making more episodes. This game would allow us to introduce these characters to a new generation in a novel way that doesn’t conflict with the creator’s wishes, keeping the Seinfeld legacy strong for many years into the future.

What is the plot?
We’ve brainstormed countless episode ideas, however if we were allowed to make any episode, it would be this one.

Episode 1“The Email”

Jerry is dating a publicist who accidentally reveals his email address to Kenny Bania through a group email. Now Bania fills Jerry’s inbox with a flurry of spam emails asking for feedback on his new stand-up set. Jerry decides to break up with the publicist over this, but he doesn’t want to deal with the interaction face-to-face. Kramer suggests ending the relationship via email and avoiding it all together. Jerry does this before Elaine reminds him that the publicist was supposed to get them all tickets to the opening night of the new movie “Rochelle, Rochelle 2”. George devises a plan to corrupt Jerry’s girlfriend’s computer before she can read her emails so that they can still collect the tickets. Kramer says he knows who can help. Someone with a sworn vendetta against email. Someone who has devoted their whole life to analogue mail and sees email as a threat to his livelihood. Someone named Newman.

Why us?
We just really like Seinfeld, OK. Like, really like it, enough to push friends and family away by bringing this idea up at every social gathering. However, we do have the experience to back it up.

Jacob solo developed the point-and-click adventure game “Paradigm” which was played by the likes of PewDiePie and Jack Septic Eye, and has been featured by the likes of IGN. Currently working on a new first-person narrative adventure game, “The Dungeon Experience,” he has experience in all avenues of development, whether it’s art, marketing, programming or unhealthily obsessing about the Seinfeld adventure game.

Ivan Dixon is an animation writer/director who co-directed the Childish Gambino music video “Feels Like Summer,” created pixelated intros to The Simpsons, Adventure Time and Rick & Morty, along with working on a long list of projects from popular IPs such as Fallout, Wolfenstein, Game of Thrones and The Watchmen. He is currently co-running Studio Showoff, a Melbourne-based animation studio.

Together, we meld into a powerful entity that spends what little spare time we have to pitch a long shot to secure the Seinfeld rights. Somewhat more relevantly, we both have worked together to develop a TV show pilot with a team. With all our experiences combined, we could build a Seinfeld dream team to make this game a reality.

What do we need?
We need an official contract providing us the rights to create a game based on the IP. Even a “Yeah cool” from Jerry or Larry would help. Without it, even releasing a “free fan game” can get us into deep waters if they so choose to target us.

Yadda, yadda yadda, we got the rights?
So what are the options if we receive the rights? What can we do? We hire a team and make this a reality, we either fund the project through the rights holders themselves, through Kickstarter, or partner with a publisher, or a combination of all the above.

Please
Thank you for listening to our crazy idea. Please share this far and wide if you would like it to happen. Use the hashtag #seinfeldgame and share and watch the pitch trailer. Just remember, it is a game if you believe it is.

Jacob Janerka (creator of the super funny game, Paradigm) and Ivan Dixon (some rando animator I've never heard of) have entered a desperate plea to create their dream game. A Seinfeld adventure. While this will almost certainly be met with a thunderous C&D raining down upon them both, I still admire their moxi. The game itself looks like it'd be awesome if it ever got made. So fingers crossed that someone in charge of the Seinfeld license is a big fan of point and click adventure games.

Seinfeld Game's Website

mango drank

g-g-g-giddyup

fsBDVR2.gif

Deft Beck

I had this idea years ago.

Airola

I would pay money for this. Would pay the full price probably too.

I had this idea years ago.

And someone had that idea even earlier than that:

And that idea wasn't a Telltale game but a real game too! :messenger_squinting_tongue:

Last edited:

ROMhack

Bit pointless, there's already a couple of great Seinfeld videogames...

Kramer H****i Adventure 1, 2 and 3

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I actually think this would sell very well. I'd love to see it in that classic point and click style too! Big fan of that throwback, and for whatever reason it just works well with Seinfeld IMO.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
This is honestly my personal favourite episode and season for Seinfeld.

Season 8 was a masterpiece of pure Seinfeld absurdity :messenger_heart:
I really do not get the hate last 2 seasons get sometimes. They are hilarious. Yes a little zany, sure. But by God they have some of the funniest shit ever. So many memorable episodes and scenes. The chicken roster, cockfight, Kramer getting cooked, Bizzaro Jerry, Elaine's dance, The Andrea Dorea story, George trying the comeback (the Jerkstore called!), Kramer's pants story, yada yada, summer of George, Festivus. I mean come on! Each episode is a classic (OK maybe not the reverse episode in India and the Puerto Rican day, but even they have their moments.).

mango drank

I really do not get the hate last 2 seasons get sometimes. They are hilarious. Yes a little zany, sure. But by God they have some of the funniest shit ever. So many memorable episodes and scenes. The chicken roster, cockfight, Kramer getting cooked, Bizzaro Jerry, Elaine's dance, The Andrea Dorea story, George trying the comeback (the Jerkstore called!), Kramer's pants story, yada yada, summer of George, Festivus. I mean come on! Each episode is a classic (OK maybe not the reverse episode in India and the Puerto Rican day, but even they have their moments.).
Yeah, seasons 7-9 are the best. Funnily enough, you're right, I mostly watch 8 and 9, but I think 7 is technically where the big switch in creative direction took place, where the tone of the show got super wacky and surreal.

Yeah, seasons 7-9 are the best. Funnily enough, you're right, I mostly watch 8 and 9, but I think 7 is technically where the big switch in creative direction took place, where the tone of the show got super wacky and surreal.
Love you both for saying this, those final seasons get so much unjustified hate
mQ40pcz.png

Last edited:

Doom85

I'd laugh if they made a Seinfeld game, but it's just a Risk game where you play Kramer against Newman.

Then near the end of any game, the game ends in a draw as a random Ukrainian smashes his fist against the board.

UrsU4Eb.gif

Doom85

Yeah, Seinfeld to me was the "weakest" in the first two seasons. Still pretty good, but clearly the actors were still trying to figure out the characters. 3 was a significant improvement, and 4 was a massive leap.

The only episode I hate is the finale. There's funny moments, but the fact that A) it's partly a clip-show, hell the actual clip-show is better as at least it's not the ending and also the final bit with Green Day's "Good Riddance" is heartwarming, and B) if you're going to have the gang go to trial for their misdeeds, sure (even though any judge worth a damn would dismiss all those irrelevant witnesses. Seriously, the lawyer convinces the judge simply by saying, "your honor, these people came a long way to be here". No actual worthwhile judge would give a shit how far they're traveled), but the fact that 90+% of the misdeeds weren't even their fault or they did nothing wrong. So many times the gang did do awful stuff, why not pick THOSE moments instead of the ones we got?!

Last edited:

mango drank

Love you both for saying this, those final seasons get so much unjustified hate
It's news to me that people hate the later seasons. Why do they hate them? Are these people who grew up watching Seinfeld and fell in love with the earlier seasons, and then they hated that the tone of the show changed later on?

I guess I can understand that. I grew up watching the golden age of The Simpsons, and when that show changed radically in season 9, I hated it. (And a lot of Simpsons season 9 is legit awful, it wasn't just that I disliked change.) But then I got over it, and seasons 10-14 ended up being some of my favorite seasons ever, mostly because the show got so preposterous and self-parodying ... just like the later seasons of Seinfeld.

I didn't grow up with Seinfeld though, I only started watching it long after it ended, so I never had that bias against the change.

mango drank

Interesting opinion. I guess I'll go check them out!

Looking at IMDB season lists, the internet seems to hate some of my favorite eps, which might be a good sign? These are my favs from 10-14, because maximum wacky. If you hate these, then these seasons might not be for you.
S10: The Wizard of Evergreen Terrace, Mayored to the Mob, Monty Can't Buy Me Love
S11: E-I-E-I-D'oh, Kill the Alligator and Run, Behind the Laughter
S12: The Computer Wore Menace Shoes, Skinner's Sense of Snow, HOMR
S13: Homer the Moe, The Blunder Years, Sweets and Sour Marge, Weekend at Burnsie's
S14: Helter Shelter, Barting Over, C.E.D'oh

Looking at IMDB season lists, the internet seems to hate some of my favorite eps, which might be a good sign? These are my favs from 10-14, because maximum wacky. If you hate these, then these seasons might not be for you.
S10: The Wizard of Evergreen Terrace, Mayored to the Mob, Monty Can't Buy Me Love
S11: E-I-E-I-D'oh, Kill the Alligator and Run, Behind the Laughter
S12: The Computer Wore Menace Shoes, Skinner's Sense of Snow, HOMR
S13: Homer the Moe, The Blunder Years, Sweets and Sour Marge, Weekend at Burnsie's
S14: Helter Shelter, Barting Over, C.E.D'oh
I'll check out those seasons this month!

The Alien

Banned
None of them ever have to do any work every again

Pretty much the entire cast of friends also fall into this bucket
It's why you see random, top level movie actors/actresses doing TV shows now. If they strike the right deal and the show can last 3+ seasons.....the syndictation and web streaming agreements on Netflix, Hulu are a substantial source of continual income.

I want that. Lol.

D.Final

Banned

Jacob Janerka (creator of the super funny game, Paradigm) and Ivan Dixon (some rando animator I've never heard of) have entered a desperate plea to create their dream game. A Seinfeld adventure. While this will almost certainly be met with a thunderous C&D raining down upon them both, I still admire their moxi. The game itself looks like it'd be awesome if it ever got made. So fingers crossed that someone in charge of the Seinfeld license is a big fan of point and click adventure games.

Seinfeld Game's Website

Amazing

Enjay

Banned
Hello, the internet. We are Jacob Janerka (who made Paradigm, played by the likes of PewDiePie and Jacksepticeye) and Ivan Dixon (who directed the animated clip for Childish Gambino’s “Feels Like Summer” and pixel intros for The Simpsons, Adventure Time and Rick & Morty)
This was the fastest I've ever lost complete interest in anything.

gela94

This would be awesoooooooome!!! I don't understand people who say friends is better than Seinfeld. Seinfeld is the best show ever made!!

Top Bottom