• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate votes 98-2 to send Russia sanctions to Trump's desk (Paul/Sanders voted No)

Cool the kneejerk arrogance. I read the reasoning, and I'm familiar with Bernie Sanders' long history of bullshit. Voting based on parts of a bill instead of considering the whole is just one reason why Bernie is such an unreasonable child.

It's how he felt the same about the crime bill of so many years ago... Oh wait

I mean, if the EU want to protect Russia so that Russia can continue interfering with the sovereign politics of EU nations, I guess that's their choice. Seems weird to me. I would do a different thing.

Yeah, sorry that the EU has to think of the concerns of it's citizens and wouldn't do it like you would.

I'm sure doing a complete shift in economic policy in regards to Russia is very easy for as big an entity as the EU, and the reason why we haven't achieved that in the last few years since the Crimea annexation is because we want to protect Russia from the US. Yup.

Bernie's been known to vote no on certain parts of a bill that he doesn't like. In this case, he wasn't a fan of adding sanctions to Iran out of possibly fucking up the nuclear deal.

Of course you would know this if you actually read the fucking reasoning instead of just making hot takes based on one sentence.

So what you're saying is Bernie, along with the infinite wisdom of Rand Paul were the only two in the entire body who had it figured out.

Xe4

Banned
It sucks we couldn't coordinate with the EU, but that's just the way it has to be, because coordination would require Trump's help, which ain't fucking happening. It's best to pass this, even if the EU tries to counter, rather than a half added bill watered down by the Trump admin.

In the meantime: EU! Stop fucking using Russia's oil and gas! Wean off of that shit, it gives Putin far too much influence in ya'll mother fuckers backyard, when it's clear he's going to abuse it.

Tovarisc

What did they expect? We have a deranged moron who may or may not be compromised as our president. He doesn't even keep our military commanders in the loop.

Literally the entire point of this bill is that Trump cannot be trusted because he was colluding with Russia. Did you like just wake up from a coma?

So if entire point of the bill was that Trump is owned by Putin then why not to start with limiting powers of President without throwing EU and its energy safety under the bus? Doesn't this bill also straight out brag how this will make exporting energy from US increase and bring in dough?

This bill is fucking with Iran for no apparent reason and EU's energy safety (plz buy energy from US now!) and little bit limiting powers of POTUS. Doesn't seem that compromised POTUS is entire point of the bill.

I guess I just assumed the citizens of the EU wanted, you know, democratic self-determination and would consider that a priority.

We're actually doing pretty fine not getting influenced by Russian cyber-attacks, thanks. Britain might be the odd one out in this case.

And have fun explaining the average joe why his gas prizes just went up considerably.

I didn't want to mention it, but since we're arguing now like fucking middle school kids, you're aware this bill also plays for US clients interests? So a plausible reason to my question why they're going ahead with this is that the US wants the EU to buy their gas from them instead.

I mean, if the EU want to protect Russia so that Russia can continue interfering with the sovereign politics of EU nations, I guess that's their choice. Seems weird to me. I would do a different thing.

Ultimately if the EU want Russia to actually stop fucking with people they should start thinking about how to actually hurt them economically. Not buying all your energy from them might be a place to start.

I actually welcome these sanctions to light a fire under European leaders; we've been well aware of the energy dependency problem since Ukraine fell apart but there is little progress on the issue. It was also an unhealthy factor when a civilian airliner full of Dutch citizens was downed over Ukraine, most likely by Russian-backed forces. Our toothless diplomacy in the face of that still makes my blood boil.

Maybe the boat needs to be rocked to get moving, even if we take on some water in the process.

theWB27

Yeah, sorry that the EU has to think of the concerns of it's citizens and wouldn't do it like you would.

I'm sure doing a complete shift in economic policy in regards to Russia is very easy for as big an entity as the EU, and the reason why we haven't achieved that in the last few years since the Crimea annexation is because we want to protect Russia from the US. Yup.

It's cool you think the us should take the brunt of whatever happens from inaction.

Because you recognize the dilemma here. As mad as the eu may be Russia needs to be dealt with because they ate fucking with everyone.

pigeon

Banned
We're actually doing pretty fine not getting influenced by Russian cyber-attacks, thanks.

Dude, the Russians literally attempted a military coup in Montenegro six months ago, and NATO is deploying troops to the Polish border while the Finns and Estonians are practicing emergency guerrilla drills from the Cold War.

You're not fine.

Linkura

We're actually doing pretty fine not getting influenced by Russian cyber-attacks, thanks. Britain might be the odd one out in this case.

And have fun explaining the average joe why his gas prizes just went up considerably.

Did you read the Browder testimony? After reading that don't tell me Russia doesn't deserve more sanctions.

KingV

So does this retroactively make the Iraq War ok?

Anything is defensible as long as it's in defense of gas prices?

I guess Bush Jr was actually pret-tay good, then. /s

Smh.

We're doing pretty good not getting influenced... except for Brexit. Uh, really? That's the defense? Is macron even popular for any reason other than being not Le Pen? Oh wait, no, he's actually had the biggest drop in populatity for a French President two months into his term ever and is about as popular as Trump in the US. To avoid Putin they had to rally around the French version of a Republican, who comes in looking for spending cuts and tax cuts.

Did you read the Browder testimony? After reading that don't tell me Russia doesn't deserve more sanctions.

Way to miss the point. Did you read my posts before this one?

So does this retroactively make the Iraq War ok?

Anything is defensible as long as it's in defense of gas prices?

I guess Bush Jr was actually pret-tay good, then. /s

Smh.

Good job putting words in my mouth.

Iolo

So you are saying that a few sanctions on Russia, which may indirectly affect the EU due to their energy choices, are much worse than a US president who is actively undermining the EU by withdrawing support, demanding NATO contributions and supporting far-right candidates like Le Pen. You want to give this president... more power, for some reason. Okay.

So you are saying that a few sanctions on Russia, which may indirectly affect the EU due to their energy choices, are much worse than a US president who is actively undermining the EU by withdrawing support, demanding NATO contributions and supporting far-right candidates like Le Pen. You want to give this president... more power, for some reason. Okay.

I don't want him to have more power and I said that exactly nowhere.

It's cool you think the us should take the brunt of whatever happens from inaction.

Because you recognize the dilemma here. As mad as the eu may be Russia needs to be dealt with because they ate fucking with everyone.

Where are you now getting from that the US should just take the brunt of it? Not pissing off your allies and putting more sanctions on Russia aren't exactly mutually exclusive.

Azuran

Banned
He's the fucking president. It's his job to listen to allies and work with them. Regardless of him being a Russian stooge, Congress should do ALL they can to make him meet with allies to work on this, even if it means him just nodding and his advisors doing the actual work.

I'm sorry that I expect basic tasks of the highest American office to be performed.

Because behind the brick wall are your allies waiting to jump on you for throwing them under the bus instead of working together to break it.

Trump will never work with Congress on this issue because he's compromised by Russia. There's only so much others can do when you're "working" with a wall that refuses to listen to anyone except Daddy Putin. Furthermore, I think you're really understating Trump's listening skills in this case. So yes, in this case you're really expecting a lot for this administration to perform basic tasks. Trump is something else as the past six months have clearly shown.

This vote wouldn't even be a thing if Trump wasn't an obvious Russia stooge who's dead set on removing Russian sanctions for absolutely no reason. Yes it sucks for allies, but that's the way the cookie crumbles when America decides to elect someone like him.

Yamauchi

Banned
Almost amusingly transparent attempt to boost US LNG exports to Europe, leveraging Western financial systems in a way that, as Germany notes, is probably illegal.

Good to see Europe pushing back.

Zyae

Cool the kneejerk arrogance. I read the reasoning, and I'm familiar with Bernie Sanders' long history of bullshit. Voting based on parts of a bill instead of considering the whole is just one reason why Bernie is such an unreasonable child. Same thing as when he voted in favor of mass incarceration.

Uhh what? Thats how congressmen vote on bills..

Tovarisc

Then make bill(s) that directly remove and limit powers of POTUS? In this bill that shit is footnote compared to actual meat of the bill.

You want limit powers of office or not?

You can do that without fucking over your allies, in this case EU as a whole. After that is done and new routes for coordination opened then go to sanction city, together. As allies.

It sucks we couldn't coordinate with the EU, but that's just the way it has to be, because coordination would require Trump's help, which ain't fucking happening. It's best to pass this, even if the EU tries to counter, rather than a half added bill watered down by the Trump admin.

In the meantime: EU! Stop fucking using Russia's oil and gas! Wean off of that shit, it gives Putin far too much influence in ya'll mother fuckers backyard, when it's clear he's going to abuse it.
Yeah EU, like.... be magic!!!

This vote wouldn't even be a thing if Trump wasn't an obvious Russia stooge who's dead set on removing Russian sanctions for absolutely no reason. Yes it sucks for allies, but that's the way the cookie crumbles when America decides to elect someone like him.

Then all I can say in regards to this matter is that I hope US allies will learn their lesson from this second blunder after Bush from the US, and try to distance themselves a bit from US influence. Because this state of affairs is just shameful.

pigeon

Banned
Then all I can say in regards to this matter is that I hope US allies will learn their lesson from this second blunder after Bush from the US, and try to distance themselves a bit from US influence. Because this state of affairs is just shameful.

Seems fine.

Maybe you could buddy up to the other major power in the European sphere. Which one was that again? Over on the east side?

KingV

Where are you now getting from that the US should just take the brunt of it? Not pissing off your allies and putting more sanctions on Russia aren't exactly mutually exclusive.

The Americans president does not want to be allies with the EU. He wants to be allies with Russia. The American people do want to be allies with the EU (for the most part).

There isn't anybody for the EU to coordinate with.

theWB27

Nevermind

Seems fine.

Maybe you could buddy up to the other major power in the European sphere. Which one was that again? Over on the east side?

That you're being so arrogant about this matter when the US is the state that isn't functioning at a basic level right now is just sad.

The EU is already on it's way to further integrating itself. It's a long way, but Trump helped push it. So I don't see the need to "buddy up" with someone.

US influence will obviously not disappear over night, but I'd say it's a safe bet that the EU will reduce it over time.

Futureman

Then make bill(s) that directly remove and limit powers of POTUS? In this bill that shit is footnote compared to actual meat of the bill.

You want limit powers of office or not?

You can do that without fucking over your allies, in this case EU as a whole. After that is done and new routes for coordination opened then go to sanction city, together. As allies.

this bill is limiting Presidential power.

The U.S. Senate gave final approval to legislation strengthening sanctions on Russia and giving Congress the power to block President Donald Trump from lifting them, setting up a possible clash with the White House.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ll-passes-senate-with-limits-on-trump-s-power

Zolo

I know, but that isn't focus of this bill. Like I mention in parts that you didn't bold.

Like senate is climbing up to the tree ass first on this whole "Limiting powers of POTUS" thing as they also punish Iran for... reasons and danger energy safety of whole EU while at it.

At least the Iran sanctions would be put through regardless of what Democrats say.

That you're being so arrogant about this matter when the US is the state that isn't functioning at a basic level right now is just sad.

The EU is already on it's way to further integrating itself. It's a long way, but Trump helped push it. So I don't see the need to "buddy up" with someone.

US influence will obviously not disappear over night, but I'd say it's a safe bet that the EU will reduce it over time.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Eu does pivot to China in the future. Given the One belt, one Road initiative but only after China opens up to EU companies and product.

pigeon

Banned

Good.

Seriously. That's good! American democracy is collapsing, we clearly need another power actually dedicated to democracy and plurality. You guys should form an actual sovereign power and then ban discrimination against Muslims instead of legitimizing it.

But the conflict right now is literally between autocracy and democracy, so I think getting mad because we're actually trying to stop the autocrats instead of funding them by buying their oil seems oddly self-defeating.

Tovarisc

Good.

Seriously. That's good! American democracy is collapsing, we clearly need another power actually dedicated to democracy and plurality. You guys should form an actual sovereign power and then ban discrimination against Muslims instead of legitimizing it.

But the conflict right now is literally between autocracy and democracy, so I think getting mad because we're actually trying to stop the autocrats instead of funding them by buying their oil seems oddly self-defeating.

Saudi-Arabia says hi?

Why you are fine with this bill fucking over your allies while doing barely anything to actually limit and remove powers of your wannabe autocrat fanboy?

Xe4

Banned
Yeah EU, like.... be magic!!!

Or you know, start decoupling yourself from Russian oil because it's clearly harming your sovereignty? I didn't say it'd be easy, but it is necessary to maintain the EU as it is.

Then how about doing just that and not throwing not-well-thought-out sanctions in?
The US election was compromised by Russian cyber attacks. What, it's supposed to say "fine, whatever, do what you want Russia"?

Tovarisc

Or you know, start decoupling yourself from Russian oil because it's clearly harming your sovereignty? I didn't say it'd be easy, but it is necessary to maintain the EU as it is.

And EU is doing that, both oil and gas That shit just takes a lot time when talking economy and population ship in size of EU. Change like this doesn't happen in few years.

Also don't expect EU to embrace US energy exports if US abuses this round of sanctions to brute force its way into EU energy markets.

The US election was compromised by Russian cyber attacks. What, it's supposed to say "fine, whatever, do what you want Russia"?

You are supposed to talk and coordinate with allies so you don't put them into danger or into impossible situation.

Yet here we are.

Xe4

Banned
And EU is doing that, both oil and gas That shit just takes a lot time when talking economy and population ship in size of EU. Change like this doesn't happen in few years.

Also don't expect EU to embrace US energy exports if US abuses this round of sanctions to brute force its way into EU energy markets.
Europe is the ones that got themselves into this god damn mess in the first place by increasing their supply of oil by Russia by 30% since 2001. Anyhow, the EU is already embracing US imports, because even the US is less likely to fuck over the EU than Russia and they know it.

You are supposed to talk and coordinate with allies so you don't put them into danger or into impossible situation.

Yet here we are.
Yeah, the US is just going to coordinate efforts with the Russian puppet that they have as their POTUS right now. Easy peasy.

KingV

Yet here we are.

If they don't buy American energy, this is fine. It's a global market and it doesn't really matter who buys the oil as long as they continue to buy oil. Only buy from Canada then. Just less from Russia.

MartyStu

Cool the kneejerk arrogance. I read the reasoning, and I'm familiar with Bernie Sanders' long history of bullshit. Voting based on parts of a bill instead of considering the whole is just one reason why Bernie is such an unreasonable child. Same thing as when he voted in favor of mass incarceration.

You may disagree with it, but the reasoning is sound and lines up perfectly with his politics.

Europe is the ones that got themselves into this god damn mess in the first place by increasing their supply of oil by Russia by 30% since 2001.

Europe clearly should have known that they were gonna have to sanction Russia in the near future back then, right?

TarNaru33

Banned

Spoken like a person who doesn't know what he is talking about.

Why do you feel that a little bit of sanctions on Russia is worth also adding sanctions on Iran who is following the nuclear deal on their end? Do you even realize how much effort and time was put into getting that deal during the Obama admin? Why fuck that up just to keep added sanctions on Russia, which isn't even hurting them much anyways? Only the EU can actually hurt Russia with sanctions, but are so reliant on them, they cant go far enough.

Just an FYI almost ALL senators do what you just complained about, there is a reason bills are tacked on like that, to make bills that would be a definite no become a "I have to think hard about this".

Saudi-Arabia says hi?

Why you are fine with this bill fucking over your allies while doing barely anything to actually limit and remove powers of your wannabe autocrat fanboy?
Because the majority of our political leaders don't want to limit Trump's actual power, they are just willing to limit him in this one instance.

Yet here we are.
Neither the House of Representatives nor the Senate can coordinate this.
Spoken like a person who doesn't know what he is talking about.

Why do you feel that a little bit of sanctions on Russia is worth also adding sanctions on Iran who is following the nuclear deal on their end?
Someone mentioned earlier that these sanctions are ballistic missile test -related.

He knew he could get away with it. Why not protest vote now?

The bill passed with fucking 98 votes.

Why not protest vote? That sounds familiar ...

Anyway, fun fact: Bernie voted against the original Magnitsky Act.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/112-2012/s223

His commitment to punishing Russia is far from sound, so maybe he did do the math and weigh everything, he just puts less weight on making sure Russia doesn't undermine western Democracy.

KingV

Why not protest vote? That sounds familiar ...
Anyway, fun fact: Bernie voted against the original Magnitsky Act.
il
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/112-2012/s223

His commitment to punishing Russia is far from sound, so maybe he did do the math and weigh everything, he just puts less weight on making sure Russia doesn't undermine western Democracy.

Another fun fact. The Obama administration, including Hillary Clinton and John Kerry was planning on blocking the Magnitsky act in 2012. The only reason it passed was because devil-dem Joe fucking Lieberman tied repeal of Jackson Vanik to instituting the Magnitsky Act.

My point isn't that Bernie was right to vote against it, he wasn't, but that Hillary and Obama were also against the bill until something considered more important was tied to it. In retrospect, they were all wrong and Romney was right. If I knew what I know today, I would have Seriously considered voting for the Romster, even though I'm not a Republican.

Mostly because it's going to get completely drowned out in the overwhelming bipartisan support for the motion, so if he has a valid protest (and I do think the Iran thing is a valid protest) he should be doing it somewhere that it's not going to be a pitiful squeak.

Another fun fact. The Obama administration, including Hillary Clinton and John Kerry was planning on blocking the Magnitsky act in 2012. The only reason it passed was because devil-dem Joe fucking Lieberman tied repeal of Jackson Vanik to instituting the Magnitsky Act.

My point isn't that Bernie was right to vote against it, he wasn't, but that Hillary and Obama were also against the bill until something considered more important was tied to it. In retrospect, they were all wrong and Romney was right. If I knew what I know today, I would have Seriously considered voting for the Romster, even though I'm not a Republican.

The Obama camp eventually accepted the bill and decided that normalizing trade was more important than protecting ogliarchs, even if that did shovel dirt on their dream of a reset. Bernie took the opposite view. Just as he did here by deciding caution on the nuclear deal is better than punishing Russia for election meddling. His priorities are consistently soft on Russia.

dinoric

Banned
Dude, the Russians literally attempted a military coup in Montenegro six months ago, and NATO is deploying troops to the Polish border while the Finns and Estonians are practicing emergency guerrilla drills from the Cold War.

You're not fine.

I think you forgot to use the word alleged as nothing had been proven.

Top Bottom