• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Putin expels 755 US diplomats from Russia

MarionCB

The new sanctions aren't actually law yet correct? Trump hasn't signed off on them.

I wonder why they didn't wait to see what Trump was gonna do...?

Maybe they're giving him an excuse to veto it. Stop escalating tensions and bullshit like that. Then Vlad agrees to let them back in and so on.

Barzul

Obama expelled a lot of diplomats/spies and closed down some of their complexes right after election day. Trump delayed Russian retaliation by implying that he would roll back Obama's actions.

Trump has been trying to prevent this escalation in tensions but the establishment seems to believe that we must punish Russia again for the same things. And so now Russia is actually retaliating.

"The Establishment" hmm......just throwing this question out there, but who won the popular vote in the 2016 US election?

Maybe they're giving him an excuse to veto it. Stop escalating tensions and bullshit like that. Then Vlad agrees to let them back in and so on.

If he vetoes it, he looks like a tool. He just does, like a tool for Putin. His veto will be overridden as well which would be even more embarrassing. The bill passed both houses with only like 5 votes abstaining. It's becoming law one way or another.

Zolo

I will be SHOCKED if Trump signs that sanctions bill before he jets off to Jersey to play golf on Thursday. It's going to be sitting on his desk for "a while".

It becomes law after 10 days if he neither signs or vetoes it. It looks like congress is also taking steps to make sure there's "technically" no recess.

kirblar

Obama expelled a lot of diplomats/spies and closed down some of their complexes right after election day. Trump delayed Russian retaliation by implying that he would roll back Obama's actions.

Trump has been trying to prevent this escalation in tensions but the establishment seems to believe that we must punish Russia again for the same things. And so now Russia is actually retaliating.
Russia is not "retaliating", they're continuing to attack. The idea that you can negotiate w/ someone who wants the complete destabilization of your political system is ridiculous.

avaya

Time to add more names to the Magnitsky List. Make sure the shithounds can't spend their dirty money anywhere.

So, which of these are you advocating the US should willingly ignore?
- oligarchs and Putin's proxies laundering billions in the US
- Crimea
- election shenanigans

pulsemyne

It's so many to equalize the amounts of diplomats that russia has in the US. Both countries now have about 400 each. It does seem like the US embassy was crazy in numbers.

UberTag

It becomes law after 10 days if he neither signs or vetoes it. It looks like congress is also taking steps to make sure there's "technically" no recess.
I suppose the question then is whether he simply abstains from signing it or vetoes it this week. I don't see him signing it within that 10-day window.
Perhaps I'll wind up being wrong if they try to spin this as "see, I'm tough on Russia" optics for signing this into law in tandem with moving Sessions to the DHS.

Biske

I suppose the question then is whether he simply abstains from signing it or vetoes it this week. I don't see him signing it within that 10-day window.
Perhaps I'll wind up being wrong if they try to spin this as "see, I'm tough on Russia" optics for signing this into law in tandem with moving Sessions to the DHS.

Vetos for sure.

Laekon

Draining the swamp! Trump is already getting rid of bureaucrats and saving money at the State Department. Wining!

Glad to see I'm not the only one taken aback by the number.

What is a "diplomat" in this context? Literally anyone working on behalf of the U.S. government? Still seems really high.

cameron

Link is missing in the OP. Independent: Putin expels 755 US diplomats from Russia
“The American side has made a move which, it is important to note, hasn’t been provoked by anything, to worsen Russian-US relations. [It includes] unlawful restrictions, attempts to influence other states of the world, including our allies, who are interested in developing and keeping relations with Russia,” Mr Putin told the Rossiya 1 TV channel.

“We’ve been waiting for quite a long time that maybe something would change for the better, we had hopes that the situation would change. But it looks like, it’s not going to change in the near future... I decided that it is time for us to show that we will not leave anything unanswered.”

Also covered by NYT: Putin, Responding to Sanctions, Expels 755 U.S. Diplomats
MOSCOW — President Vladimir V. Putin announced on Sunday that 755 American diplomats would be expelled from Russia by Sept. 1, escalating the tensions between Washington and Moscow.

Although the expulsions had been announced on Friday, in response to the new law passed in Congress last week expanding sanctions against Russia, the president’s statement was the first to confirm the large number of American diplomats involved.

Speaking in a television interview on the Rossiya 1 network, Mr. Putin said that Russia’s patience in waiting for improved relations with the United States had worn out.

“We waited for quite some time that maybe something will change for the better, had such hope that the situation will somehow change, but, judging by everything, if it changes, it will not be soon,” Mr. Putin said in the interview, according to Interfax news agency.

ItIsOkBro

putin:

1431614779465836209.gif

Biske

Well, the White House has already put out a statement that he'll sign it, so yeah, veto.

Given the majority the bill passed with him signing it wouldn't mean much, but a veto sure would.

I dunno... this is Trump.

all that has to happen is Putin to give him a phone call.

Mivey

There are about 300 US diplomats supported by 1000 staffers in Russia.

I think something is lost in translation here.
Maybe they banned all 300, and pre-banned the next 455 diplomats the US is sending over in the future. Like the moment, they land on Russian soil, they would be banned, until they had repeated that 455 times.

Maybe they banned all 300, and pre-banned the next 455 diplomats the US is sending over in the future. Like the moment, they land on Russian soil, they would be banned, until they had repeated that 455 times.

I think the confusion has to do with diplomatic ranks - apparently the media lumps in the attachés and assistant attachés with the ambassadors, counsellors and secretaries even though they have very different diplomatic privileges.

I'm just going to assume the 755 involves everyone on official US state business (including people such as FBI liaisons, atomic inspectors, human rights monitors etc.)... not just just the actual envoys.

EDIT: most espionage in Russia is clandestine and not coordinated by people with diplomatic ranks and, when possible, not done from inside the rival country. I honestly don't think there are hundreds of spies being expelled here.

Saganator

A large portion of those 755 diplomats are aids and support types. Sean Smith, who was killed in Benghazi, was considered a diplomat, but he was basically an IT guy. He was also a member of Goonswarm, a large EVE corporation.

I dunno... this is Trump.

all that has to happen is Putin to give him a phone call.

It doesn't matter. If he ignores it it becomes law after 10 days, if he vetoes it it is veto proof and he's already been warned that they will revoke the veto. Its law no matter how many retaliations Putin takes.

Ryuuroden

Puppet, no you're a puppet

Biske

It doesn't matter. If he ignores it it becomes law after 10 days, if he vetoes it it is veto proof and he's already been warned that they will revoke the veto. Its law no matter how many retaliations Putin takes.

I get that. But this is Trump, so I fully expect him to take the most ill advised course of action possible.

I mean imagine this, Trump is in his jammies hate tweeting as he watches CNN and he gets a phone call from a shirtless man riding a bear, Trump is aroused and titillated and then hears the whisper "pee pee tape" the line goes dead...

BigDug13

Holy shiiiiiit at this photo:

Damn bruh get some shoe lifts or something.

Probably want able to eat the most nutritious meals during his early years in the 1950's. Anyone who was born right after WWII in those countries won't compete height-wise with people born 20 years ago. It's amazing to see the how much young Japanese people tower over the really old ones when I lived there. Or see a North Korean standing next to a South Korean. Early nutrition means so much.

commedieu

Banned
Trump won't veto it. Hes in putins pocket. Russia doesn't want them there. This will go down as another faux presidential moment for trump. To look like he's tough on Russia.

Condom

Trump won't veto it. Hes in putins pocket. Russia doesn't want them there. This will go down as another faux presidential moment for trump. To look like he's tough on Russia.
Uhm how do you come to that conclusion? Russia's official stance has been that it wants to go back to the relations in the mid-Obama era, not remove all diplomatic connections.

antonz

Trump has no choice but to let the bill go into effect. Congress doesn't trust him for anything when it comes to Russia.

I mean Graham and allies on both sides of the Aisle are drawing up another bill that would establish a Judicial Review Process for the firing of Special Counsels so Trump cannot just fire Mueller. It says a lot about how far the Republican Party is corrupt. They are actively putting blockers in place to reign in their own President instead of dealing with him and moving on

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
If the pee tape ever gets revealed I'd expect impeachment hearings to start proceeding, regardless of who controls the House. Gotta wonder if Putin knows how this'll go down.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Russia is very unlikely to attack Trump. Trump being impeached would be something they could still use to fuel divisions in the US, but they have no reason to try and speed that up.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
While the number is high, there is a certain number of people you need to man an embassy.

Top Bottom