• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senran Kagura: Estival Versus |OT| Summer Life in Your Hometown

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
UUUUGGGHHHH I'm doing the "Mikagura Sisters" mission & those ninjas that constantly run circles around you was bad enough, now there's the ones that shoot arrows at you, COMBINED with the previously mentioned enemies. I can't even perform two hits of a combo before taking a hit or getting frozen.

This is perhaps the hardest game in the series, but it feels like it's for all the wrong reasons. I feel like I can only handle them via constant strong air attacks.

Edit: HOLY CRAP KAFURU IS AWFUL, she's probably the most unfun character in the series so far. At least Minori, who I wasn't fond of in SV, felt like she was more tolerable with combos that felt like they actually connected this time, & her supers are actually good. Kafuru's supers just don't hit anything or move past the enemies. Her ONLY redeeming feature is her charge Triangle attack which hides you from the enemy & instantly appears underneath them, allowing you to launch them into the air.

Edit 2: I've lost more times in this game than in every other SK game COMBINED.

DarkOneX

UUUUGGGHHHH I'm doing the "Mikagura Sisters" mission & those ninjas that constantly run circles around you was bad enough, now there's the ones that shoot arrows at you, COMBINED with the previously mentioned enemies. I can't even perform two hits of a combo before taking a hit or getting frozen.

This is perhaps the hardest game in the series, but it feels like it's for all the wrong reasons. I feel like I can only handle them via constant strong air attacks.

Edit: HOLY CRAP KAFURU IS AWFUL, she's probably the most unfun character in the series so far. At least Minori, who I wasn't fond of in SV, felt like she was more tolerable with combos that felt like they actually connected this time, & her supers are actually good. Kafuru's supers just don't hit anything or move past the enemies. Her ONLY redeeming feature is her charge Triangle attack which hides you from the enemy & instantly appears underneath them, allowing you to launch them into the air.

I hate those damn circling ninjas too they are annoying as hell. Also I just finished the story up a bit ago and near the end I was playing as Kafuru again and I can't stand playing as her, her moves suck so bad I was getting damn frustrated.

Alfebit

Banned

Yeah, the circling enemies are a pain, especially with slower attacking characters.

Hate how Kafuru plays as well. Same complaints as you.

Ultimadrago

Playing Murasaki's Heart Story, I'm really glad Mirai got another character to personally have a connection with in the series. Her rival/relationship with Yagyu is really boring in comparison and the pairing in general is a disservice to the character.

That's points in your basket, Murasaki!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, I'm glad they try to expand the relationships of characters past "UR MY RIVUL!" & have development with more characters, especially ones from the different schools.

If I recall, they started that Mirai/Murasaki friendship building in SV, so nice to hear they continue that with her story. Will do her story & the other one I unlocked later tonight.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Finally got Platinum!! Now I won't have any regrets putting this to the side for DOAX3 when it gets here. :D

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Man, you level up a TON in the character story missions. I was playing as Murakumo, who I haven't played as yet, & despite replaying two of the stages because of losing, she leveled up to lv. 21.

Though I wish they made it so bombs were thrown by a different button or holding, say, L2, & you could hold multiple bombs at once.

Ogawa-san

Murakumo is probably the fastest leveler since it's so easy to combo with her, everything she does have a huge range. The lv2 art is an instant 1k combo button, in frantic it can clear an entire wave at once, boss included, even on hard.

I've used her to farm the last zeny I needed for the lottery. My plan of sticking with low percentage rolls and a turbo controller was foiled by a sub 1% chance at 119/120.

Meanwhile Yozakura is like lv4 since she attacks like once a minute...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Just finished Murasaki's story & she leveled up to 17, so yeah, at the very least, it seems characters will level up to at least 15. Though I guess it also depends on how many enemies the character story missions have.

65/120 for the lottery at the moment. I still question why they bother with the lottery token system. I was able to get all 120 in SV just fine.

Also, it would've been nice to have a "#/#" counter for the platforms on the pause menu or on the UI, especially considering not all stages have them...

....along with the ability to skip situation finishes, especially when you watch the same one twice or even three times in a row.

I just finished Hikage's story and I gotta say that all her parts in the game have been awesome. I loved the whole interaction with Imu (
Hikage:"I have no feelings o_o", Imu:"Yes you do! You have been showing different feelings during the whole conversation! are you saying that you don't have any just to keep appearances?!
) and her dreams being
she is the main character of diferent types of anime

Ultimadrago

Recently finished all the Heart Missions. Man, that was great! I'm looking forward to the Dual Heart Missions coming next week!

So my personal completion is done:

Max Mirai/Minori

senrankaguraestivalveliza7.png
senrankaguraestivalve2zl5o.png

senrankaguraestivalveryal1.png
senrankaguraestivalve8pxfi.png

Finally able to mess around in Diorama. I really dig the feature and am going to have to do a few more later on. Here's a picture of Top 5 (Missing my No.3, Kagura, as she is not yet available):

senrankaguraestivalvesju5m.png

Oh, and while I don't care for these. The Platinum was already almost 100% coinciding with what I was going to do anyways (All Heart Stories, All Items Purchased, All Creative Finishers) , that I just got it for the hell:

Finally able to mess around in Diorama. I really dig the feature and am going to have to do a few more later on. Here's a picture of Top 5 (Missing my No.3, Kagura, as she is not yet available):

senrankaguraestivalvesju5m.png

Oh, and while I don't care for these. The Platinum was already almost 100% coinciding with what I was going to do anyways (All Heart Stories, All Items Purchased, All Creative Finishers) , that I just got it for the hell:

HER PANTIES ARE VISIBLE! Now, this is highly inappropriate in a high class topic such as this, Mr!

Playing this game in Hard only highlights all the poor design that went in its creation. The difficulty isn't tied at your skill as player but to the character you're forced to play as. Mirai, Kafuru, Haruka, Hanabi, Ryoubi, Ryouna, Yumi are an absolute drag to use due her movesets not being optimized to the game system. With slow startup moves, poor ninpo options and laughably damage output they're easy prey to most enemies in the game. On the flip side, characters like Asuka, Homura, Minori, Dai and Rin (although that was a given due their status), Murakumo, Yomi, Imu, Miyabi, Murasaki, Hikage, Jasmine and Ryouki utterly demolish the game. The rest of the characters sit in the middle ground, not too good nor too bad either.

The enemies themselves are also poorly designed, is like they took a look at everything it was wrong with them in versus and doubled down on it instead of fixing them. Making so most of them can inflict status effects just by touching you is extremely idiotic since actively punishes you for pursuing long combos and lets you open to be mobbed up in matter of seconds with nothing the player can do to avoid it. Guard is pretty much useless outside of multiplayer (and even then it becomes in a chicken race between the players to see who slips first) but you can have enemies blocking all the freaking time forcing the player to use a ninpo or pray for an opening. And yes, I know a dashing attack is a guard breaker and can be comboable but the camera is so terrible that you will be whifing your attack or losing the opining created by the attack a lot.

The camera is also another huge issue in this game. While so far no SK can brag of having a good camera (aside of maybe Burst but then, sniping off screen was too common there) the Versus series is particularly bad in this front. The lock on is useless, enemies and stages are too big for it to work properly, it gets stuck on scenery way too often and doesn't helps to aim your attacks at all. The multi boss fights that run rampant on EV only make those faults more evident since the camer goes utterly nuts trying to follow the actions of four characters at once.

In short, Hard mode forces the player to abuse any possible exploit in the coding to allow the player to advance due its poor design while the other difficulties are too easy to be a challenge. There's not middle ground at all.

Also I was looking at Dai's moveset on EV and is literally the same as SK2. They only tweaked the animations but the actual inputs are the same

They added the option to increase the damage by allowing to charge of most inputs
but they sacrficed her stance mode and overall, SK2's moveset was way more versatile

4WJT6AW.jpg

A01LfzM.jpg

xyksm08.jpg

TU9D3YA.jpg

x0VphZz.jpg

ibHFei4.jpg

Zq8Dqgx.jpg

At this point I haven't tried hard mode since I'm still trying to finish all the characters stories (10 more to go) but I can see what you mean about the difficulties being broken. In action games how the enemy is designed should be as important as the player controlled character but sadly so many games skip on that part because it's hard to do no doubt. This is the fifth game on the series (not counting Bon Appetite) so I don't think they have the intention of focusing on the gameplay aspects of the game at this point.... but maybe SK2 and VD show that they're actually trying? I haven't played them but I know you have.

mothball

Finished it yesterday, not sure how to feel about it. The technical aspects and the new characters are nice, but it also takes several steps back from SV. Some of the characters feel worse to play, the grunts are more annoying than ever, and the main story is probably 90% filler. Not that SV was Shakespeare, but it at least took itself as seriously as it needed to to tell its decent little story.

At least the GH missions and Renka mostly make up for it.

A.E Suggs

I will say, that was one feature that was nice of nice in Hyperdimension Neptunia U, that you could unlock your normal outfit (before or after being destroyed), but as an "indestructible" version so you could keep whatever outfit you wanted & not have it be destroyed. I'm rather surprised Tamsoft never thought of bringing that over, but then again, considering this game series, most fans wouldn't bother with it.

That would have been nice, but oh well.

but they sacrficed her stance mode and overall, SK2's moveset was way more versatile
Well that game in general is more versatile, but I still like the sony games better than the nintendo one's. The 3ds games are too ugly, and since I play the game for the girls if the graphics are taking a big hit I don't care about the combat as a selling point. At the end of the day they are both button mashers beat'em ups and the 3ds game has less characters overall as well.

Heck I'm suprised there's someone going that in depth talking about the movesets since this game is a step down gameplay wise. All the characters I like to use are great to good so I have no issues there. Dai and Jasmine are beasts.

At this point I haven't tried hard mode since I'm still trying to finish all the characters stories (10 more to go) but I can see what you mean about the difficulties being broken. In action games how the enemy is designed should be as important as the player controlled character but sadly so many games skip on that part because it's hard to do no doubt. This is the fifth game on the series (not counting Bon Appetite) so I don't think they have the intention of focusing on the gameplay aspects of the game at this point.... but maybe SK2 and VD show that they're actually trying? I haven't played them but I know you have.

SK2 as whole is a better game on every aspect but the graphics. Enemies are better balanced and are actually challenging without being obnoxious. Just one type of enemy is able to inflict status effect and they're accordingly, one of the higher tier foes but as long you prioritize them, they won't be an issue. Regular enemies can inflict status effects via projectiles but unlike EV, every single projectile in the game can be deflected with a well timed attack -even projectile based ninpo-

VD also has an excellent enemy design but the game still leans more towards the easy side, with the actuall challenging battles being the bosses. The game has some kinks to work out but overall is a better game than any of the Versus games so far. Quite the accomplishement considering its a different developer (the same guys that made Bon Appetit in fact)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaoO-MJj4_U

Well that game in general is more versatile, but I still like the sony games better than the nintendo one's. The 3ds games are too ugly, and since I play the game for the girls if the graphics are taking a big hit I don't care about the combat as a selling point. At the end of the day they are both button mashers beat'em ups and the 3ds game has less characters overall as well.

I'll take quality over quantity any time of the day and SK2 more than delivers in that front, the sheer amount of stuff you can do in that game is simply insane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwvh7OaGMME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmJZNG2he-Q

Demoskinos

Lets be real here the real tragedy of Diadouji from SK2 to EV has nothing to do with her move set. Its that they didnt give her abs in SK:EV. :(

Where is my delicious Daidouji abs?!

char_142021.jpg

Lets be real here the real tragedy of Diadouji from SK2 to EV has nothing to do with her move set. Its that they didnt give her abs in SK:EV. :(

Where is my delicious Daidouji abs?!

char_142021.jpg

That indeed is a werd design choice. SK2 managed to have the perfect Daidouji model just by using cleverly positioned textures

ac2il89.jpg

I don't know how they couldn't be bothered to do the same in EV

Also, is a tragey the lack of a white version of Dai's coat in the game, that was my favorite color in SK2. But well, in general I liked more the costume selection in SK2 as well, that military uniform was perfect.

I don't think I would call SK2 a step down in the graphics department. It looks really nice.

Indeed, the game is easily one of the best loooking third party titles in the 3DS, making the constant frame rate even more impressive. But honestly, the thing I miss the most from SK2 in EV is the possibility to go through the full game with a friend.

Eolz

Yeah, surprisingly, first game making my PS4 so loud (apart from Rocket League).

I don't think I would call SK2 a step down in the graphics department. It looks really nice.

It looks really nice and you can feel it had a nice budget, but well, 3DS system specs obviously limit how pretty it can look.
That said, I personally think
that it looks better than SV

JohnTonne

Also, is a tragey the lack of a white version of Dai's coat in the game, that was my favorite color in SK2.

Oh really? they also got rid of Mirai's "The World" shirt and all her shirts just say Star Platinum on them, makes me wonder if they were worried about Jojo's, seems odd though since it's just a wordmark and colour palette. Homura's shirt text still changes though so it was a deliberate change.

SK2 as whole is a better game on every aspect but the graphics. Enemies are better balanced and are actually challenging without being obnoxious. Just one type of enemy is able to inflict status effect and they're accordingly, one of the higher tier foes but as long you prioritize them, they won't be an issue. Regular enemies can inflict status effects via projectiles but unlike EV, every single projectile in the game can be deflected with a well timed attack -even projectile based ninpo-

VD also has an excellent enemy design but the game still leans more towards the easy side, with the actuall challenging battles being the bosses. The game has some kinks to work out but overall is a better game than any of the Versus games so far. Quite the accomplishement considering its a different developer (the same guys that made Bon Appetit in fact)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaoO-MJj4_U
That should be a standard, playing multiplayer on EV is anoying when fighting people that just spam proyectiles and not being able to do anything when they start running away. I fought a Yaguu/Daidoji team and the Yaguu just spammed her proyectile and when you get frozen Daidoji just wrecks you, if you fight Yaguu she just runs aways and since the air combat isn't good you just waste your time, if you fight Daidoji you won't be able to dodge the proyectiles and get frozen faster.

SK2 sounds good, hopefully if Shinovi Versus PC sells well a port of SK2 is considered (really want to use Mirai since she has 3 weapons from what I saw >_<).

I need one last creative finisher. The one where you have to die in a puppet / robot.
But which missions have robots? Can not remember.

Edit: ah, got it :)

Eolz

Only up to day 3 now :(

SK2 sounds good, hopefully if Shinovi Versus PC sells well a port of SK2 is considered (really want to use Mirai since she has 3 weapons from what I saw >_<).

Is there even any PC port of 3DS games that had proprietary engines?
Can only think of that rumored Code of Princess one. Others like Gunman Clive were already made in easy to port engines if I remember well.

Would be fantastic if it happened though.

pariah164

Ayame drops tomorrow. Looking forward to finally playing as her. I know she basically models herself after Katusragi, outfit wise, but she has greaves on both arms and legs, so fighting wise, does she play like both Katsu and Yozakura?

Ultimadrago

Ayame drops tomorrow. Looking forward to finally playing as her. I know she basically models herself after Katusragi, outfit wise, but she has greaves on both arms and legs, so fighting wise, does she play like both Katsu and Yozakura?

I don't really like how Katsuragi or Yozakura plays, so hopefully something fresh enough between both.

Moonlight

Banned
Bleh, I really dislike Katsuragi's playstyle so she's probably not gonna be for me. A couple of her moves look fun, at least.

So how's the story and writing in general? I played the Japanese release of this game and while back, and don't exactly need more Senran in my life right now. Is it worth it to play through this again in English?

I feel a bit troubled. I want this and I wand dota xtremevolleyball 3. Where can I get some more money? I NEED MORE MONEY

Get this. DOAX3 is rubbish

So how's the story and writing in general? I played the Japanese release of this game and while back, and don't exactly need more Senran in my life right now. Is it worth it to play through this again in English?

Pretty poor honestly. I'm on day 6 (out of 8) and the plot goes a snail pace and any serious moment loses its impact thanks to the characters reminding us their schitck every five lines.

IbukiLordSA

Can you still level up the different areas at lvl50? I have Rin at Lvl50 she continues to gain exp but I am not seeing much difference with regards to here other areas increasing in experience.

RedEther

Imo that's definitely Mirai her attacks/supers are just so bland/boring.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Just woke up, give me a minute & I'll type up everything.

Edit: $5 for an 11 mission pack. Wonder if it's worth it/adds anything story-wise.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
No, it has to be bought separately. Xseed said they hit some kind of snag or something when releasing it.

Top Bottom