• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sequels that left out popular/iconic characters?

Minish-Cap-Cover.jpg

No Ganon

though I guess this applies to several Zelda games.

The hottest of takes.

the game is 5 years old...

DONKEY KONG Country 2 where you can't play as DONKEY KONG

Can't in DKC3 either

Piers

Depending if you consider it a sequel or not:

Chronocrossbox.jpg

The
'ghosts' of the Trigger cast
still unsettles me to this day. Going by how, iirc, the director wanted Cross to be it's own thing, I hope the above wasn't intended as a twisted form of trying cut any ties rather than bridge them.
Edit:
Oh, right, don't they actually appear towards the end of the game to finally explain everything that's going on?

The
'ghosts' of the Trigger cast
still unsettles me to this day. Going by how, iirc, the director wanted Cross to be it's own thing, I hope the above wasn't intended as a twisted form of trying cut any ties rather than bridge them.
Edit:
Oh, right, don't they actually appear towards the end of the game to finally explain everything that's going on?

Cutting ties was pretty much Cross' job. Then bridging Cross and Trigger back together was going to be the point of the third, final Chrono game featuring characters from the two previous games.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=249038428&postcount=53

Shame Chrono 3 was cancelled.

I didn't bother with SFV until Zeku got announced, but if my boy Blanka was in right off the bat I would have been there day 1 tearing through the arcade mode over and over.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
412077_front.jpg

Left out kung fu master/super cop/Jackie Chan type Lei Wulong.

big-lei.jpg

tekken-3-embu-lei-o.gif

IDN6GrN.gif

First absence since his introduction in Tekken 2. He even made it through the time jump from Tekken 2 to 3, and passed selection for the slim Tekken 4 roster.

I guess he was not gud eenuff this time.

4801530_big_5.jpg

Astral Dog

Devil May Cry 4 left Vergil out but then
his bastard son appears, he is "dead"
for now and he appears on the special edition
so its justifiable.

Majoras Maske forgot about
Ganon
;)

PSqueak

Banned
A couple of the super robot wars games in nintendo portables (Notably J in the GBA and UX and BX on the 3DS) leave out the Getter Robo franchise, which is one of the most iconic and sacred for the series.

Voidwolf

MGS series is really bad with this when you think about it.

First you play as Solid Snake, the best protagonist in the series. Then you get duped into playing Raiden in 2, you play as Big Boss in 3 and when we finally return to Solid, he's now an old man thanks to some mishap with his cloning. Luckily you can slap a young Snake mask on but that doesn't stop the constant coughing and weezing... Then in MGSV you play as Venom Snake.

Cfer

Neo Member
What about SF3

Awesome game but by then I think a lot of people were climatised to SF2's roster.

EDarkness

I would say Shadow Hearts 2 to 3. Yuri got left out in the third game and I remember a lot of people being upset about that. Might have been the downfall of that game ultimately.

Giga Man

Not having Mega Man in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and no X-Men (not even Wolverine, Magneto, and Storm) in Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite was pretty dumb.

Kneefoil

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn was a direct sequel that left out most of the old protagonists, and barely featured the rest. I guess Kraden got a decent amount on screen time. I really would've preferred a story that revolved around grown up Isaac, Felix, and the rest of the gang.

Okamiden is kind of a sequel, although officially just a side story, that didn't feature Amaterasu.

NTSC_Resident_Evil_2_Cover.png

No Jill, no Chris.

The best thing that could've happened. It gave us an amazing character in Claire, and also gave us arguably the greatest protagonist in the RE series, Leon.

I actually wish they introduced new characters in each of the classic games.

Tekken 3 is the only Tekken game without Kazuya. His return was a huge part of the hype behind Tag. I honestly feel like that was really cool because his absence and subsequent return gave him this really mysterious presence that tied in with how he became a more villainous character.

YES. I remember seeing the very first promotional poster for Tekken 3, and telling my brother "oh look, Kazuya has an arm tattoo." My brother squinted really hard at the poster, then looked at me and said "Hmm, we're gonna have to wait for the game to come out, but that does NOT look like Kazuya to me!"

And lo and behold, no Kazuya in T3. My mind was blown.

DONKEY KONG Country 2 where you can't play as DONKEY KONG

LMAO... So true. Maybe if Donkey Kong himself had been in 3, it would've gotten the much better reception it deserves. Kiddy Kong single handedly turned a lot of people off from what is the peak of the series (for me, of course).

The Street Fighter Alpha/Zero series went a good while without a lot of the "familiar" World Warriors until Alpha 3. And even there, characters like Guile didn't get added until that game's first console port.

This and the example in the OP (Street Fighter III) are some of the best things Capcom ever did. The problem is that, after five iterations, everyone had grown used to the original 12 World Warriors. So everyone wanted the World Warriors in every Street Fighter game. I personally grew tired of the World Warriors myself so Street Fighter Zero 2 and Street Fighter III (all 3 games) are some of my favorite games in the series.

It's that familiarity. When SNK initially left out Kyo and Iori from KoF 99 for canon story reasons, the fans rioted, so they made it in last minute (as secret characters). But nobody rioted when they left out almost everyone else directly related to Orochi (Leona was the only one that made it from that crew). That's because SNK had beaten people over the head with Kyo and Iori for so long, that people expected them to show up in every KoF ever.

Princess Zelda in Link's Awakening and Majora's mask ,she's mentioned by name though

And New Super Luigi U could technically count i guess in Relation to New Super Mario Bros U with not having Mario

Calamari41

41 > 38
Donkey Kong being removed from the two Country sequels is a very ballsy example, considering the first game basically made him a phenomenon again.

joeblow

Left out kung fu master/super cop/Jackie Chan type Lei Wulong.

First absence since his introduction in Tekken 2. He even made it through the time jump from Tekken 2 to 3, and passed selection for the slim Tekken 4 roster.

I guess he was not gud eenuff this time.
Well, Lei was also absent from Tekken Revolution's roster.

TreIII

imho that was a good move. SF Zero 2 has one of the best rosters among Capcom's fighters.

Agreed.

But I guess it's just interesting how Alpha 2 was one of the "few" fighting games that I can think of (besides Tekken 3) where a roster not having a lot of mainstays didn't really garner too many complaints that I can recall.

Shadoken

MvC without Xmen.

Ken is missing from SFV. No surprise the game bombed, oh and Blanka is missing too.

Ken is in SFV and its one of his best iterations. He has a much more unique moveset compared to Ryu or even previous Kens. (Apart from the derpy Char select pose)

giphy.gif

The best thing that could've happened. It gave us an amazing character in Claire, and also gave us arguably the greatest protagonist in the RE series, Leon.

I actually wish they introduced new characters in each of the classic games.

I also prefer Resident Evil 2 over Resident Evil 1. Claire is one of my favorite characters in the series (no lie) and RE2 and Code Veronica are two of my favorite games in the original fixed-camera styled series. Leon is arguably the most popular character in the series. It's a fun game that puts more emphasis on action over horror. My first playthrough of the game was with the N64 release and I remember getting really accustom to the N64's dpad to play the game. But it actually played surprisingly well.

Top Bottom