• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sequels that left out popular/iconic characters?

Richie

LMAO... So true. Maybe if Donkey Kong himself had been in 3, it would've gotten the much better reception it deserves. Kiddy Kong single handedly turned a lot of people off from what is the peak of the series (for me, of course).

Gonna guess they wanted to promote Dixie from sidekick to lead like Diddy, which hardly happens if her companion is the character the series is named after. I understand the reasoning but it'd have been perfect, things would have gone full cycle.

Neoxon

Every SF games shouldnt just be a SF2 remake. Having a good mix of SF2 and newcomers is perfect. like SFV and Alpha.
SFV probably has the best roster in the series tbh. Great mix of classic and new characters.
These guys get it. SFV already has most of the worthwhile SFII characters (soon to be almost all of them once Sagat shows up in Season 3). The first two Alpha games got by just fine without E. Honda/Blanka/Dee Jay/T. Hawk/etc., so why not SFV? Concerning how good the SFV roster is right now, it’s great, but USFIV still holds the crown (but that could easily change after a few more seasons of DLC).

As for me, I’ll add a vote for the X-Men in MvCI, Lego Marvel 2, & most of the recent Marvel games. I obviously know the reason (most of us do), but it still sucks. Also, no Lei in Tekken 7 is up there.

Not exactly sequels, but every Persona 3 spin-off that includes the main character leaves out the female main character. It's probably because too much has to be altered to the dialogue to justify her inclusion, but goddammit, she was way better than the male protagonist and I miss her.

Speaking about female protagonists: for some reason GameFreak decided to ignore Leaf's existence after FireRed and LeafGreen. Was it really that hard to include her in Sun/Moon?

Last but not least, Sandal ("Enchantment!") was pretty well liked in DA:O and DA2, but was nowhere to be found in DAI. Maybe the writers thought it would be too contrived to have him travel with the Warden, Hawke and the Inquisitor.

Neoxon

Not exactly sequels, but every Persona 3 spin-off that includes the main character leaves out the female main character. It's probably because too much has to be altered to the dialogue to justify her inclusion, but goddammit, she was way better than the male protagonist and I miss her.

Speaking about female protagonists: for some reason GameFreak decided to ignore Leaf's existence after FireRed and LeafGreen. Was it really that hard to include her in Sun/Moon?

Last but not least, Sandal ("Enchantment!") was pretty well liked in DA:O and DA2, but was nowhere to be found in DAI. Maybe the writers thought it would be too contrived to have him travel with the Warden, Hawke and the Inquisitor.
Wasn’t P3’s FeMC established as non-canon from the start?

Van Bur3n

Witcher 3

Iorveth and Saskia. Two of the biggest players in Witcher 2. Saskia especially had her story left wide open based on your choices at the end of 2. Never got closure to that outside of comic that only covers one of the possible way's witcher 2 could end for Saskia.

Yep. You got shafted hard in The Witcher 3 if you preferred Iorveth's path over Vernon.

Wasn’t P3’s FeMC established as non-canon from the start?

She was when you consider the events of The Answer, which is a direct sequel to FES. Of course, one might argue that this doesn't count since The Answer was made before P3P and thus it couldn't include the FeMC in the first place.

I don't know if it was ever officially confirmed by Atlus, though.

Ridley in Metroid 2! (Ok, he's "iconic" because the series doesn't have any other returning characters for SSB representation, not that he's instrumental to most of the proceedings)

Let's see... Kapp'n was in Wild World, but his shanties did not return until New Leaf.

Red Devil

Didn't have Bill or Katt, despite featuring Katina, and also Zoness as a multiplayer map.

I guess we could go back further and say that 64 didn't have Miyu or Fay.

Technically Miyu and Fay "never existed" by the time Star Fox 64 came out because the game they were going to be part of was cancelled, and either way Star Fox 64 was a reboot of sorts.

No Magneto or Wolverine in Marvel Infinite is a travesty.

One is the 2nd or 3rd most popular Marvel character ever created and the other one was the face of the competitive scene for decades - to the point where there's a tournament series named after his meme.

Breqesk

IIRC, didn't Revan just pop up as some kind of hologram/apparition thing in KotOR 2 and not actually in person?

Yeah, and that was - as I recall - technically optional, and based on how your relationship with T3 develops. KotOR 2 left out a whole bunch of major characters from the original.

And was all the better for it... (For real, I much prefer the Jedi Exile to Revan, and KotOR II has the stronger supporting cast, as well. Kreia alone... Ugh, holy shit, that game is SO GOOD.)

yuoke

Banned
Metroid 2 didn't have ridley, but to be fair he wan't iconic yet,
and that was fixed with samus returns.
He also wasn't in prime 2, but was going to be originally.

Edit-Oh, both already mentioned

Surfside

Banned
Witcher 3

Iorveth and Saskia. Two of the biggest players in Witcher 2. Saskia especially had her story left wide open based on your choices at the end of 2. Never got closure to that outside of comic that only covers one of the possible way's witcher 2 could end for Saskia.

These two hurt, not seeing them in the game. I never understood why Roche was in but not Iorveth. I searched almost every corner for him.

Terrorblot

Ken is missing from SFV. No surprise the game bombed, oh and Blanka is missing too.

giphy.webp

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Well, Lei was also absent from Tekken Revolution's roster.

Revolution wasn't really a main production kind of game. It was a one-console F2P experiment built from Tag 2's assets. I mean hell, Revolution didn't even have Yoshimitsu.

I'll say that Tekken 7 was the first game he missed since his introduction that had a full arcade > console release cycle, so including the main series and the tag games, but not stuff like Revolution or Tekken Advance.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Soul Calibur 5 is the biggest offense. Killed off or simply disappeared most of the most popular characters for low rent versions of the same characters that were not anywhere near as iconic or fondly remembered. And the story reasoning sucked too.

Atleast Li Long's story disappearance from Soul Blade made sense.

I also didn't like Hwangs random disappearance in SC2 onward, replacing him with some lesser cool, more annoying Korean warrior guy

Soul Calibur 5 is the biggest offense. Killed off or simply disappeared most of the most popular characters for low rent versions of the same characters that were not anywhere near as iconic or fondly remembered. And the story reasoning sucked too.

I also didn't like Hwangs random disappearance in SC2 onward, replacing him with some lesser cool, more annoying Korean warrior guy

Didn't Tekken do something similar. I remember looking up the series up, seeing it had a time skip ,and it bugged me when I noticed they either got rid off or most of the female cast and the ones they kept were given some excuse to stay young.

ASaiyan

Banned
The Persona Arena series left out certain characters for "plot reasons". Which is funny, because the canon plot they tried to spin to make Persona a fighting game is pretty ridiculous, lol.
I just wanted to play as Minato.

Vibranium

Banned
The lack of Daniel in Parasite Eve 2 and that abomination The Third Birthday was a joke, they replaced a cool partner/father-figure for Aya with a generic love interest guy. Although I guess it's good he wasn't in the latter game, as neat characters like Maeda got roped into that mess.

Xero

Gonna guess they wanted to promote Dixie from sidekick to lead like Diddy, which hardly happens if her companion is the character the series is named after. I understand the reasoning but it'd have been perfect, things would have gone full cycle.

there was just no point not to have donkey in it. I know it puts me off the 3rd one. Dixie is fine, but why would I want to play as a giant baby over donkey kong?

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Didn't Tekken do something similar. I remember looking up the series up, seeing it had a time skip ,and it bugged me when I noticed they either got rid off or most of the female cast and the ones they kept were given some excuse to stay young.

Yeah, that was pretty lame in retrospect. Michelle was replaced by her daughter, Jun and Kunimitsu were dropped completely (the former ultimately being replaced in Tekken 5 by her teenage niece), Anna and Nina went through some contrived cryosleep nonsense to maintain their youth.

Tekken 3 was a really good game though, so it had that going for it.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

T3 did a timeskip yes, but the game was so flipping awesome and the previous games so flipping work in progress that nobody cared(despite how awesome t2 was). With Soul Calibur the formula was already perfected with the first entree and it was downhill from there until 5, where the game was arguably worse than SC4 gameplay wise, introduced a lot of controversial gimmick elements like super meters, and the game is officially stated as only being released half complete due to low budget and not having enough time to complete it before the deadline

Syraxith

These two hurt, not seeing them in the game. I never understood why Roche was in but not Iorveth. I searched almost every corner for him.

Iorveth was supposed to be in the quest line where you help Triss leave Novigrad (Oxenfurt?).

Saskia I could understand cutting but Iorveth? Man that blows...

Edit: I think Iorveth was cut pretty late in development. I would love to see what remains of him in the data files.

SpiceMastah

Neo Member
juri-sf4-portrait.jpg

Still waiting for Capcom to put Juri in SFV. One of the most interesting newcomers with one of the most interesting mechanics to come out of 4. Can’t wait for her to come out. Really fiending for those sick feng-shui engine combos!

Forkball

In the Gen V Pokemon games, Black/White and Black/White 2, there is no way to get Pikachu unless you transfer it from a Gen IV game. THEY TOOK OUT PIKACHU. Though ironically, Pikachu is fairly rare in most games. It typically only appears in one or two routes at a low percentage. It was even exclusive to the Safari Zone in Gen III. It wasn't really until Gen VI when they started to shove Pikachu right in your face to ensure you got one early on.

Some characters were lucky to be replaced with low rent versions of the same characters. I'm still salty that they done my girl Talim so dirty.

https://www.fightersgeneration.com/np2/char2/char/juri-sf4-portrait.jpg

Still waiting for Capcom to put Juri in SFV. One of the most interesting newcomers with one of the most interesting mechanics to come out of 4. Can't wait for her to come out. Really fiending for those sick feng-shui engine combos!

Not sure if I'm missing a joke here like the Ken guy earlier in the thread, but Juri is in the game already. She was part of the first season of DLC.

In the Gen V Pokemon games, Black/White and Black/White 2, there is no way to get Pikachu unless you transfer it from a Gen IV game. THEY TOOK OUT PIKACHU. Though ironically, Pikachu is fairly rare in most games. It typically only appears in one or two routes at a low percentage. It was even exclusive to the Safari Zone in Gen III. It wasn't really until Gen VI when they started to shove Pikachu right in your face to ensure you got one early on.

if i remember correctly there is a pikachu in the overworld in Black/White doesn't really mean much but he does show up

I didn't bother with SFV until Zeku got announced, but if my boy Blanka was in right off the bat I would have been there day 1 tearing through the arcade mode over and over.

the game doesn't even have a arcade mode yet so even if he was there how would you?

TheOGB

Banned
Pokemon Black 2 & White 2. In the first gen to allow syncing game stats online, they really had every character from BW return and do something interesting during the timeskip EXCEPT THE PROTAGONIST ;___;

I was expecting this to be a Soul Calibur V thread when I read the title btw

Mass Effect: Andromeda's shift in location and subsequent lack of fan favorite characters probably hurt it in the eyes of lots of fans. Especially given that the squadmates in Andromeda were pretty lackluster.

You don't play as Donkey Kong in the first one either. Cranky Kong is Donkey Kong, he's in all 3 games.

Donkey Kong is also Donkey Kong though. That's his name even though he's a descendant of Cranky. That's pretty much why the old one gets called Cranky instead.

HenryEen

Banned
Mass Effect: Andromeda's shift in location and subsequent lack of fan favorite characters probably hurt it in the eyes of lots of fans. Especially given that the squadmates in Andromeda were pretty lackluster.

Call me crazy, but I thought Andromeda crew are great. Not as great as ME2 crew, but definitely better than ME1 crew pre-ME2/3. If there is one thing I really like about Andromeda is how the party members actually interact with each other in the Tempest (either via comm or via email exchange).

Vetra, Jaal, and Drack are great. Liam is garbage tier though.

Budi

Witcher 3

Yuup, this was a real bummer.

Top Bottom