• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Series in which you went from rabid fan to having a casual interest. What lost you?

Dysun

Mass Effect

Went from buying each game at launch and consuming the 30 hours or so within the first week, to not buying Andromeda at all. Part 3's ending and the poor reception to Andromeda was a fatal mix

McCHitman

Banned
Final Fantasy- Was a big fan up to 7. I never finished 7, and tried 8. For some reason I jumped off the ship at 8 and hated it. Anything after that never caught my eye again until 15, but I tried that demo and it didn't hook me either.

Madden(sports games in general)- When ever madden had the 20th anniversary edition Maybe? I realized I didn't play these games much and I bought them every year. I DON'T EVEN LIKE SPORTS. I'll play them, but I don't want to hear anyone talk about them or watch them. The Madden games are the only games I've ever traded in. I never bought another sports sim style game again. Arcade sports titles are a different story.

WWE games
- I bought every wrestling game up until WWE SvR 2011. I bought that one, it was boring as crap. What sent me over the edge was they added NEW Apron moves. You could select them in the CAW mode, but you couldn't actually do them with anyone during the game. They legit added a new feature that was broken and didn't work. They never fixed it. I boycotted them, and haven't bought/rented a new game from them since. I've only played 2k16 and 2k17 in the years since because my cousin brought them over and wanted me to play with him. They still suck.

Call of Duty (Multiplayer)- MW2 was a the pinnacle of multiplayer gaming for me. All my friends played, my now wife played a lot with me, soooo much fun was had. With each new COD that fun dwindled, also as players did. Black Ops 2 was the last COD where I had a lot of fun for quite a good time. We went back to MW2 more often than anything until the new consoles came out. Then everybody got split up and life happened hard. My wife still plays BLOP3, I played a bit of Advanced Warfare, but we haven't even entertained Infinite Warfare yet. I would like to play the story though.

I'm a Battlefield guy now. BF3 hooked me.

Zero Escape. 999? Wonderful game, legendary ending twist

VLR? Best twists in any game I've ever seen, incredible climax, sublime music, state-of-the-art character backstories. GOAT for years. I was obsessed with getting a third game for YEARS.

Zero Time Dilemma? What a magnificent, unforgettable, historic, fatal insult to everything the fans wanted to see in the conclusion of this trilogy. Handwaved plot points. Crucial plot threads left hanging until they're retconned out of the series. Inconsistent characterization of returning characters. Banal, forgettable, shallow new characters. A culprit reveal SO laughably bad that it spawned a surge of memes the likes of which few fanbases have ever seen. An art style that's somehow WORSE than VLR's 3DS-grade 3D models. Abandoned the text-based visual novel format in order to appeal to newcomers (in a the last installment of a 100% story-based trilogy, no less!) via Telltale-style prerendered cutscenes. On a shoestring budget. Introduction of remarkably stupid new plot devices. Two new central story mechanics both of which only serve to hinder character interactions and character development. On top all that, the ending is the most cringeworthy power-of-anime-friendship bullshit I've seen.

Fuck Zero Time Dilemma

Mentok

Banned
This thread kind of reminds me why I switched to Playstation this gen. Literally all their big franchises turned me from hardcore "day 1" fan to casual "will play at a buddy's house".
-Gears after 2. 3 was good, but I didn't enjoy the MP changes as much as others. Spent most of my online time in horde mode.
-Halo after 3. Reach had a cool SP story, but I hated the MP changes, doubly so when 4 came out.
Fable declined with each entry. What the hell was 3?!

Jamaro85

Mass Effect. As much crap as I give 3 it was still a solid game that I enjoyed playing. I bought ME:A for the MP, but after playing the pre-release Origin Access trial I can't get myself to even try the campaign.

Final Fantasy. I used to get lost in these games, but haven't *loved* a FF game in the last two console gens. I feel like I will never lose interest in the series though and will always continue to play the mainline games all the way through, despite my disappointment with 13 and 15.

Yup, OP, FF and bc of XIII.

Mass Effect and even liked 3, didn't even bother with Andromeda

Sonic until Sonic Adventure 2.

MGS til MGSV (not that there'll be more)

Fallout and Fallout 4.

SF and SFV.

Jamaro85

COD

Not getting with the times. It's 2017. We're in the LoL MP-era started by Riot Games. MP games need to be supported indefinitely post launch with new content, balance updates, and glitch patches. COD still lives in 2007 where it was okay to release a game with only brief window of post-launch support before abandoning the game to work on the sequel. No one wants to invest the time, effort, and energy to get good at a game only to see it get replaced every year. Overwatch and CSGO are the new mp-shooter business models. Adapt or get passed over.

Interesting take. The problem is they've gone all over the place with the game play since Black Ops 2 (the last one I enjoyed) and the question becomes what type of game would they settle on for a long term supported CoD? With how much I've disliked every CoD since then (sadly bought, tried and eBayed every one between Ghosts and Ops 3) I'm glad there is a yearly reset for the short term. But if CoD WW2 ends up being solid and Treyarch gets back to form with their next entry then I would probably be more on board with your view.

hlhbk

Warcraft series. Grew up absolutely adoring Warcraft 1-3. Then WOW came along and killed the franchise for me and cemented my hate for MMOs.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
It would no doubt be Final Fantasy for me. The series has not been the same since Sakaguchi left but at least Square released the games in a timely matter until FF12.

Then it was a over a decade wasted on FFXIII and eventually FFXV. They lost track of what made Final Fantasy great and tried to shoehorn shitty characters and DLC into FFXV as patchwork for a bad game with a bad storyline.

It doesn't even take into account how horribly mismanaged FF7R already is.

ethomaz

Banned
While I did found FFXIII bad I give a new chance for SE but they did even worst with FFXV.

So FF is a serie that I bought games day one (even Japanese releases before US) and now it ends to something I will wait and see if a flash sales is whorty of puscharse with FFXVI.

The drop in question quality is abysmal while others JRPGs are clear better on the market... when even spin offs are better than the mainline game you know something is not right.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Killzone:

Absolutely loved Killzone 2. Grounded and dirty sci-fi about a shitty war where neither side was truly right and where you were just a part of a larger war effort.

Killzone 3 was... fine... but they upped the sci-fi a bit too far with the Helghast getting sudden access to a lot of technology they didn't have in 2 despite the game picking up literally where 2 left off. The antagonist is comically evil, having created a planet-destroying super-weapon with which he intends to attack Earth ( I still don't exactly know why, as Earth hasn't played a significant role in the lore I know - he should be attacking Vekta instead. ). Instead of being a part of a larger effort, you are the hero who has to stop the villain from blowing up Earth. The game ends with you accidentally BLOWING UP HELGHAN, the setting that made Killzone 2 so interesting. They also made some unneeded changes to weapon handling and multiplayer.

Shadow Fall pushes everything even further. Everything is now full-on sci-fi. It takes place in a super-futuristic city with futuristic trains and buildings and hologram tech everywhere and you get a special sci-fi drone and a laser-gun that can transform into a sniper rifle. instead of having anything to do with war, you are an unstoppable super-spy out to stop a conspiracy involving a deadly super-virus that can be programmed to target a specific race, and somehow the crappy antagonist from 3 survived and is involved with it too.

Guerrilla is just moving the franchise further and further away from what made it actually good and I'm glad they're doing new things with Horizon now instead of mucking up Killzone any further.

Killzone Mercenaries was cool though, so thanks Guerrilla Cambridge. <3

Also I guess Destiny:

I LOVED the Alpha and Beta and got very heavily invested in Destiny from the moment I played those. Invested to the point that I played a role in a frankly embarrassing 'fight' over control over the DestinyGAF clan ( made even more embarrassing with the hindsight that clans don't even matter for shit in D1 ). I disagreed with a lot of criticisms thrown Bungie's way ( and I still stand by most of that ), and even though the original release disappointed in many ways, I still loved playing it and returned for each of the expansions. Rise of Iron and especially The Taken King were great.

But I just can't get excited for Destiny 2. I'm sure it'll be solid and I'll probably get some enjoyment out of it when I decide to pick it up, but Bungie just hasn't shown me anything justifying the '2' in the title. A short story mission involving characters we already know fighting a familiar enemy faction in a mostly familiar space. A social space that they say is 'improved' but then don't actually show of any those improvements of. A crucible map which looks to be near identical to a location from the latest DLC release for the original Destiny. A video about Destiny 2 sound design where they talk about how great the engram pick-up sound is but then show exclusively footage from the original Destiny for that part for some reason. A video about story where they claim that the original Destiny story was a 'steady heartbeat' instead of the broken mess it actually was. Them still not having shown off a patrol area and what you can do in it.

I just can't get excited for it at all with what they're choosing to show us.

EDIT: And Zelda too;
I am going to have to go with Zelda.

Skyward sword lost me a bit because I hated the controls but breath of the wild has pushed me from someone who has been highly anticipating every zelda release to not caring at all as I know the next one will likely be more breath of the wild which I didn't like at all.

Call of Duty, the United Offensive expansion and Call of Duty 2 are great.
Then 3 didn't come to PC and starting with 4 I cared less and less.

Also I was amused with Killzone 2 since it's release but I only got to play it a month ago and it was quite a letdown. If it wasn't the first big flashy exclusive of the ps3 it would be the dictionary definition of the forgettable, dumb dudebro fps.

Forza Motorsport.

Dan Greenawalt used to talk about how they are making the most realistic motorsport game possible on console and building smart controller driving aid difficulty systems on top to make it accessible for everyone.

But they're not trying to make them more realistic, still copy&pasting suspensions between cars, still no different traction control systems (just the intrusive "makes you slow" TCS options that is gamified, giving you more money if you turn it off), only fixed ratio center differential AWD systems, brake balance not only non-adjustable during a race but even not adjustable at all in race cars that don't have carbon-ceramic brake discs, still a terrible auto-clutch that shifts incredible soft. The FFB has gotten worse from FM5 on and even though they seemingly hired a new guy to get it right, first reports have not been positive on FM7's FFB. Also no FOV options... not even on PC.

Not to mention how expensive the full package has gotten if you want all of the content as soon as it's available. FH3 was 110€ for the Ultimate Editions with 6 car packs and VIP status, then 30€ for the Expansion pass, then even more for the car packs that weren't in the Car Pass.

Once they address stuff like more realistic driving aids, FOV options and most of all: better FFB that has correct steering ratios etc. like Project CARS or Assetto Corsa do, I'll be back, but until then, I'm not spending more than 30 bucks per year on Forza anymore.

zulux21

I am going to have to go with Zelda.

Skyward sword lost me a bit because I hated the controls but breath of the wild has pushed me from someone who has been highly anticipating every zelda release to not caring at all as I know the next one will likely be more breath of the wild which I didn't like at all.

I used to be a huge mario fan as well, but that just slowly vanished over time, but I still play them.

the Tales of series is one I am both a rabid fan of and have just casual interest in anymore.

I just can't keep up with the yearly releases lol

Babyshams

Halo definitely. Reach was fun but only played through it twice where as 1-3 were beat countless times.

Mario, didn't like Galaxy weeble wobble control so I tuned out.

"FF" after X
"Tales of..." after Symphonia (but did have Graces F recommended to me due to the battle system and that was really fun)
"Tony Hawk" after 2
"Halo" after the 1st game (the fanbase killed this one for me)
"FPS games" on the PC after the 1st Quake. Yeah, I feel like there's probably been some fantastic shooters on the PC in the last 15 years but I just never cared enough to pick one up again.

I think it more has to do with my drive to play games rather than interest in any specific series.

Psyfer

Final Fantasy, Tales, Paper Mario, and Mario and Luigi all for obvious reasons.... and Ratchet and Clank.

I've played all of the Ratchet games except All for One, and I really feel like 2 and 3 were the high point in the series. I recently played through the reboot (since it was $10 on PSN) twice, once on challenge mode, and I just wasn't feeling it. It made me super nostalgic for 2/3 though, so I went back and played them on the PS2 emulator with a few graphical upgrades and had a blast.

I think a big part of it was that, even though I was playing the reboot on Hard both playthroughs, the game was devoid of challenge. Even the gold bolts and RYNO cards were really easy to find. The hardest part of the game was probably the Gold Cup hoverboard races, which is extremely sad in my opinion.

If they make another R&C game I'll play it, but I'm not eagerly awaiting a sequel to the reboot or anything.

Pat

Mass Effect. My best new IP in the last generation, I had high hopes for Andromeda... But played just two hours and got refunded, I couldn't believe how much the game is bad.

Halo. I kept getting my hope up that we would get great storytelling and characters on top of great shooting, based on the awesome books. Kept getting hopes up only to have them trashed.

Cipherr

Metal Gear after Solid 2.

Lost me completely. I started wanting shit to make a little sense and not be so ridiculous... I had poor timing on that as the crazy ratcheted up to 10 from that point on.

For me, its CoD (multiplayer).

Loved Modern Warfare. It all felt so new and the military aspect felt gritty and genuine to me at the time.
REALLY loved Modern Warfare 2. Just pure fun. Ridiculous kill streak rewards and some sci-fi tech all mixed so well.
Black Ops was dull. Ugly to look at. Ugly guns. Weak explosives. Bland kill streaks.
Modern Warfare 3 was awful. I felt like if a bullet grazed my toe, I would die. Maps were too big and lacked strategy.
Black Ops 2 was great. A nice return to form. Fun with dolphin diving, explosives, x-ray scopes and the sexy KSG shotty.
Ghosts was mediocre. Didnt spend too long on this admittedly. Maps felt too big and there was something unsatisfying about playing it.

I have no interest in the space stuff or WW2 (especially since they toned down the Nazi side). I want the chaos, fun and modern day setting that MW2 offered, back.

Freeman76

Souls series.

Demons and DS1 are tied as a top 3 all time gaming highlight for me.

DS2 was total crap and then DS3 basically doesnt do anything new for the series. They have killed that whole gothic castle vibe now, I cant even face DS3 DLC which I cant believe has happened since DeS and DS didnt leave my PS3 for months!

Assassin's Creed. Stopped caring after 3. I just got really tired of the uninspired, formulaic game design. Being an annual franchise didn't help either.

SirNinja

I was actually a huge Assassin's Creed fan until Unity, which completely burned me out (not to mention the PC port was several degrees shittier than usual).

I completely skipped Syndicate and can't muster up more than a slight interest in Origins. I'll probably return to the series sometime in the future, but...I dunno.

X was the last great FF game. It's been garbage ever since.

The Zodiac Age would like a word with you.

wouwie

Uncharted. Huge fan of 1 & 2 (played each game 3 times at least), Uncharted 3 was just ok (7/10 sort of ok) and Uncharted 4 didn't do anything for me (6/10 sort of average, only played once). As such, i don't feel any excitement for The Lost Legacy at this point though i will most probably still buy it day one. Hopefully it's a return to form for the franchise i used to love.

Assassin's Creed. Stopped caring after 3. I just got really tired of the uninspired, formulaic game design. Being an annual franchise didn't help either.
This is a good one. I was absolutely in love with AC, but I haven't finished a single one since 3. The game design didn't bother me as much as how bad 3 was overall.

Jordan117

I was a MASSIVE fan of the original Halo trilogy through high school and early college (see: name, avatar, join date). After that I just had less downtime to play -- I liked ODST and Reach okay, but didn't put nearly as many hours into the MP there. I was cautiously optimistic about 343's take on Halo 4, but found the style and mechanics pretty alienating. I also wasn't a fan of the direction the expanded universe fiction took post-Bungie; I remember reading a few summaries on the wiki recently and found the plotlines impenetrable.

The Master Chief Collection was the painful break point, though. It actually revived my enthusiasm for the series at first -- I was super hyped for it, and bought an Xbone and even a new TV to play it. But it was so ridiculously mishandled that it ruined any hope of the player base coming back in a big way. I actually swore off buying Halo 5 as a result, and only wound up playing it because I won a free copy in an HBO contest. It was... okay, but the flame is definitely gone.

FZW

Uncharted series

Uncharted 4 ruined it for me, I became a fan since Uncharted 2 (Uncharted 1 was trash) and I didnt mind Uncharted 3. Uncharted 4 was just so boring; it was a well designed game but it was just too big and too long with very few amazing set pieces to keep it exciting. Its not as bad as Uncharted 1 cause it doesnt have segments that are completely unbearable but its definitely not as good as the other 2.

Tekken lost me with Tekken 6's long arcade lifespan and the delay to console which may or may not have been a result of getting it up and running on 360 hardware. All that time waiting only for it to look like a jagged mess compared to T5HD on PS3. It not playing as smoothly and trying to cash in on the mma-style presentation didn't help. Watching the series visually stagnate since didn't help any. I like 7 despite it not holding me beyond two weeks after release. Need more significant single player content... like a longer arcade mode with real endings (and NO customizations within that mode).

MGS going open world and the fragmented release of V (not to mention the Konami/Kojima fiasco). I didn't care for portable ops and the idea for Peacewalker and just wanted another MGS1/2/3 (didn't mind 4 but did hope for a return to form). Still haven't played Phantom Pain and didn't do much beyond a basic playthru of GZ.

Edit: Oh, Assassin's Creed. LOVED 3. And then they went backwards, ignoring providing any closure for Connor because of fan complaints and gave us blonde Ezio and slapped a 4 on the package to make it seem like a more significant release when in reality it could have been a Connor expansion a la revelations/brohood and had him coming across the pirate stories after finding artefacts from his grandfather (the main character of 4). Dumb. Haven't completed or cared for an AC since black flag burned me.

Metroid.

I have beaten Super and Zero Mission more times than I can count and have also run through the original, Return of Samus and Fusion several times as well. I even beat Hunters and played quite a bit of Pinball. After years of waiting and hyping myself up (never owned a GameCube until the late 2000s), I finally played Metroid Prime.

It was the most fun I never wanted to have again.

I tried multiple times to get into the series again, playing Prime 2 up to the Boost Guardian, starting Prime 3 and playing for about an hour, but it just sort of lost me. Don't get me wrong - Metroid Prime was a blast, but I felt one grand experience of that style of gameplay was enough for me.

I waited for the reviews for Other M and was disappointed. I'm sketchy about the RoS remake because it's by Mercurystream, the people who killed Castlevania on portables. Under Nintendo's supervision they could do amazing things though. Still, I'll wait for reviews.

Mass effect. I was willing to overlook how bad the first 95 percent of three was. Then the ending made me wish I had never touched the series at all.

Cutting to two girls one cup literally would be a better ending.

Wood Man

Tekken - I just can't get myself to play Tekken 7. I just don't care anymore. And I bought it fully hyped to play, I don't know what it is. Maybe because I don't like any of the new characters so it just feels more of the same.

kunonabi

Resident evil - action gameplay, too fantastical

Silent hill - every game after 3 was garbage, kept trying to emulate sh2

Final fantasy - hate the action/mmo combat

I think thats it.

DVCY201

Kingdom Hearts. It's just been too long, and seeing the new trailer cemented it for me, in that I didn't see anything that shouldn't have been accomplished last generation (excluding graphics). I haven't even mustered the will to go through the HD Collections I picked up on PS3 or II.8 on PS4.

Kneefoil

Paper Mario fits the description to a T, though. Loved the first two, the third one was okay, didn't like the fourth one much, but the latest one was pretty good.

Mario & Luigi games are just too much of the same, but were a breath of fresh air once upon a time.

Sonic games, maybe? I think I'm still a fan, but much less so than what I used to be during the Gamecube era. Same could be said about Pokémon, but I still care more about Pokéms than Sonic.

Professor Layton & Ace Attorney: The games became too much of the same, and the stories have become worse than they were at their peaks. I still like and play them, though.

Assassin's Creed, too, went through this, and currently I no longer have any interest in it. The first one was pretty good, second was wonderful, Brotherhood was too much of the same as the previous games, and since then I've had a declining interest in the series.

With Metal Gear Solid I went from fan to no interest. Skipped the casual interest part. Peace Walker just wasn't my thing, and MGSV looked more like that than the MGS games I really liked.

Fire Emblem - My interest dropped pretty hard when they made Fates into three games. The newest game did invigorate my interest somewhat, but not enough to get me excited for the series again.

Super Smash Bros., kinda.I do really look forward to a new entry and play it a lot, but when I've been playing SSB4, it has always felt very similar to its predecessors, so I think that series is reaching that point. Same applied to Mario Kart starting from 8, although bot MK8 and SSB4 felt like improvements from MKWii & SSBB.

Star Fox would probably be here as well, but they do always try something new with the IP, and I'm always interested to see how the games turn out.

borges

Banned
Yeah, Final Fantasy for me as well.
Crazy fan of FF VII and VIII, then at some point with all those X-something I got lost. The story and art direction didnt click on me anymore. XV included.

Hedge

Final Fantasy after FFXIII-2. It was just nonsense through and through.

Kingdom Hearts after KH3D. This was when I realized they had just given up on a coherent plot.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Final Fantasy XIII, like a lot of other people

I realize that this is not everyone's take, but I felt that the series peaked at VI, with only FFT achieving masterpiece status. Still, I found something to like about the single-player titles that followed, even if the series did not reach the same high highs as VI.

XIII convinced me that Square is no longer interested in making games that I like. They are aiming for a completely different market, and I'm not part of it. I actually finished XIII because I wanted to be certain, but I don't see Square making another FF game that would appeal to my tastes (except SRPG of course). I honestly try not to pay attention anymore, I loved that franchise so much and I don't want to get angry or dickish about it.

Fortunately, DQ is still cranking out games I love (we'll see about XI)

I know I won't ever play another Bethesda Game Studios title, either. It's really the same story. I'm not their target customer anymore, and everything I loved about their old games is probably gone forever. I played and finished Fallout 4 to confirm this. It's over.

Bioware, too. ME 3 really soured me. They are going after a different market now, too. Everybody's got to make a living, it is what it is.

Rolodzeo

Metal Gear Solid 4 killed my interest in the franchise and Peace Walker buried the corpse. I'm not saying they're bad games, only that after those entries MGS stopped resonating with me.

MGS3 was a masterpiece though.

For me, the answer is probably Bioware in general. Blown away by their early games while their new ones are completely lost on me.

Souls. The Bloodborne betrayal.

From Software betrayed their PC fanbase by whoring themselves for Sony cash after the series didn't even get big until the PC port to begin with. If they actually cared about their craft as an art instead of just money they would want it to be on the most powerful platform available instead of shackled to a dumbed down walled garden fake computer.

Their treachery doesn't deserve a penny. I boycotted Dark Souls 3 as well.

Is this a meme I don't know?

Top Bottom