• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Series in which you went from rabid fan to having a casual interest. What lost you?

Nessus

WarCraft - WarCraft 3 really changed the focus of the game to smaller skirmishes and I hated the Upkeep mechanic which seemed designed to keep the number of units on screen lower to accommodate the ugly 3D engine. The story also annoyed me, constantly putting me in control of unlikable characters who kept making obviously bad decisions.

Then it became an MMO and I really dislike combat that's based on hotbars and watching my character trade blows with an enemy.

StarCraft - To a lesser extent than WarCraft, but I think the huge gap between Brood War and StarCraft 2 gave me too much time to imagine what the sequel would be like. I expected playable Xel'naga, and story that revolved less around ancient prophecies and fate and destiny. I didn't hate the stories in the 3 episodes, but that wasn't the ending I had imagined either.

Gameplay wise it's alright, but the higher minimum requirements at the time meant that it didn't have the universal appeal that Brood War had where all my friends had it and we played it constantly. The fact that they split the game up into 3 parts also made it harder for everyone to be on the same page.

Valve - Not a series, but Valve used to be one of if not my favorite game developer. But they haven't made anything I care about since Portal 2, and every indication seems to be they're more or less done with deep single player games, or games with stories at all and are more interested in their "games as a service" model that has worked so well for them with TF2, DOTA2, and CS:GO. I get why, I just don't like it.

Assassin's Creed. III completely lost me and I haven't had much interest in it since. I feel like one of the few people who cared about the modern-day storyline in that series and it completely hit a brick wall in III.

Csr

Diablo 3
The vision the new development team had kept almost nothing of what made me love the series.

Street Fighter V
It is the only street fighter game that i don't really like. (sfxt was close though)

EricB

Mega Man. Loved it from 1-3, then lost interest. Jumped back in at X, but never bothered (until virtual console) with X2 or X3. Jumped back in again at X4, then held off until the first Zero game before quitting again. At that point I never touched anything until Mega Man 9.

I guess the reason why is just the sheer number of games they cranked out with the same basic gameplay. Now I go back regularly and play pretty much all of them (except the rpgs or Legends games which I so far have had no interest in). It is actually great because whenever I have a craving for that type of gameplay I have a new (to me) game to play. I've still yet to complete a few of the original series despite having been a fan since the original release of the first game on NES.

Ploid 3.0

Final Fantasy.

Final Fantasy 13 lost me. I could have even gotten it for free but used my points (goozex) on something else. I never played it, but what I saw just didn't interest me.

I get to buy FF 12 again if it comes to PC though, I could also get it on PS4, but I'll wait since I can use my PS2 non IZJS version to play it on PC (which I do regularly.

bionic77

Final Fantasy for me too.

Used to be one of my favorite franchises if not the favorite.

I have just liked their games less and less from PS2 onwards. And it's not even that they are bad, but I just don't get excited about the newer entries.

In fact I can't think of anything Square has done in the last 5+ years that I really cared about.

Halo lost with me Halo 4. I can't think of a single decision that 343 have made with the series that i thought was a good thing.

Retcons changing designs like Marine Armour and the Forward Unto Dawn from a unique, iconic look to generic sci-fi. The ultra-bright neon shiny forerunner designs going against the mysterious, ancient stone and dull metal structures they were all about. All their new designs for vehicles and weapons not fitting into the whole design aesthetics and design philosophy of the UNSC (The UNSC overall has gone from militaristic, utilitarian fairly low-tech olive/black coloured vehicles and weapons with sharp angles and hard edges, to sleek, curved, rounded advanced-looking dull grey designs). Thinking it's a good idea to make the Master Chief more human when the whole point of him is that he isn't anymore. A story that so far hasn't been in the slightest bit gripping and engaging despite being 2/3 of the way through. I have no idea what's going on with the actual backstory outside of the game, but the whole "Humans used to be better than Forerunners" was something i thought was utterly stupid. Absolutely pathetic portrayals of characters in an attempt to make their new Spartan 4s just better in pretty much every way than Spartan 2s alongside the decisions to make them come across as typical "bro" personalities with fist bumps and high fives.

I seriously cannot think of anything that has been done right. They've utterly ruined the series. I'll still get the new games and play them, but it's gone from one of my favourite sci-fi settings and game series to just disinterest.

Triteon

Assassins Creed, I wasn't the most ardent fan but I've enjoyed them less and less.

I remember being really bummed out when they removed the weird hidden real world/photoshop puzzles.

I became casual about the series once I beat Brotherhood but I enjoyed 4 a bit, but I think that was the ship combat more than anything else.

Ray Down

Banned
I think I'm casual fan about everything aside from OP.

But I was super fan of KH but I'm hum ho about it now in general.

Metal Gear Solid. 1-4 I played and would complete them multiple times. I went on almost a 4 year gaming hiatus and missed PW and went MGSV released for w.e. reason I never played it. Kept telling myself it was because I felt I needed a playthrough of PW was needed in order to understand the narrative and just never got around to it.

Just fell out of it for this reason.

Also this pick may be too young relative to others to single out but Destiny. Years 1 and 2 I was addicted. My friends and I would raid every Tuesday and different times throughout the week before the close of shop the next Tuesday with our different characters. Completely sucked up the majority of my gaming time and took me away from my grad studies to a degree.

With Destiny 2 I am very excited, but I feel a sort of resentment for Bungie for bungling up as much stuff and they did back in Destiny 1 with QoF stuff. I'm very much excited for D2 but it's a cautious excitement.

Final Fantasy and Zelda

Zelda lost me at twilight princess with its bullshit hand holding and waggle. Skyward sword wasn't much better. Breath of the wold sealed the deal. That game is a 5-6 at best but people are rabid over it.

Final fantasy lost me at 13 and continued the spiral to where it is today with 15. Just garbage.

Zelda for me a little bit. I grew up at the time when Ocarina of Time was the biggest, most awesome game ever and Link's Awakening had just been re-released as a DX version. Everyone at school was playing these two games and even though I'd played the NES Zeldas for a bit it was those that made me fall in love with the series. I became a HARDCORE Zelda guy - the type that defended the series to the death on message boards when Wind Waker was first announced and everyone was spouting that "Legend of Celda" nonsense.

Ironically I never ended up playing that much of Wind Waker (though I watched a lot of it) because I never owned a Gamecube and got busy with high school and college. I always said I'd get around to it - and said the same for Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword - but eventually my interests began drifting more towards PC gaming and JRPGs and Zelda didn't quite scratch the same itch as it used to. The repetitive nature of the series also became more evident to me especially after Twilight Princess and Wind Waker were released.

I've been playing Breath of the Wild recently though, and even though the game's not perfect, it's reinvigorated my love for the franchise, which feels great.

On another note, I used to be really into Pokemon in elementary school too - to the point of reading the manga and writing fan-fiction - but for some reason I never got that invested in any of the games after Red and Blue. I think it had to do with playing other RPGs and realizing that Pokemon's mechanics and story were a little too simple for my liking.

Smash Bros. I was in deep right up through Brawl... then, for no particular reason, I just totally fell off when the 3DS/Wii U one came out. Still played it with friends now and then, and absolutely loved what they did with Robin and Bayo... But I just never got into it the way I was with the other three.

I was a huge Mortal Kombat fan when I was younger. Even soaked tons of hours into the PS2/Xbox era games, and even though I hated Armageddon and MK vs DC I was still anticipating the newest entries. The thing is now I still like everything I used to like about the franchise except actually playing them. It started with MK 9, and the series starting to take itself more seriously as a competitive fighter. Once I finished the story mode and a couple of online matches I just felt done with it, and felt no need to pop it in again. Same with MKX. Probably since fighting games are more focused on the online components and less on the single player aspect, but it hurt MK the most for me since I sucked at 2D fighters and if I wanted to play a fighting game online I would pop in Tekken, DOA, or Virtua Fighter. I miss the days of hidden and unlockable characters.

Final Fantasy, Tales, Paper Mario, and Mario and Luigi all for obvious reasons.... and Ratchet and Clank.

I've played all of the Ratchet games except All for One, and I really feel like 2 and 3 were the high point in the series. I recently played through the reboot (since it was $10 on PSN) twice, once on challenge mode, and I just wasn't feeling it. It made me super nostalgic for 2/3 though, so I went back and played them on the PS2 emulator with a few graphical upgrades and had a blast.

I think a big part of it was that, even though I was playing the reboot on Hard both playthroughs, the game was devoid of challenge. Even the gold bolts and RYNO cards were really easy to find. The hardest part of the game was probably the Gold Cup hoverboard races, which is extremely sad in my opinion.

If they make another R&C game I'll play it, but I'm not eagerly awaiting a sequel to the reboot or anything.

I still love the series but I do agree that the high points of the series are 2&3. The speed of those games are much more to my taste. Combat feels more visceral in those games. Everything slows down when the PS3 games start.

Strimei

Mass Effect.

3's ending burned me badly and just soured me on the franchise as a whole. I had a tiny bit of interest in Andromeda but was going to wait it out (and what I saw since release, besides glitches, animations, and the like, didn't interest me at all) and see how it went.

I still look back fondly on 1 and 2, and even some parts of 3, but otherwise, I'm gone.

TissueBox

I'll go with The Sims. It's still one of my most beloved series, but a lot of TS4's shenanigans don't grab me much as the base game simply isn't as charming as its predecessors. So I don't really stay in the loop as deep these days.

Halo - the decision to go full fanfic with the SP, not have basic features ready at launch, and then to have the gall to shove loot/microtransactions into the series to milk the fans even more. Halo 5 killed the series for me. Don't even get me started on the MCC and that disaster.

Mass Effect - taking player choice and pissing all over it. Never again Bioware. And fuck EA for shoving MP into the franchise with, you guessed it, microtransactions.

Cornbread78

Call of Duty.

It used to be fun and doing Gamebattles was great. Then the community grew and id became a sesspool of k/d campers and the worst possible human beings online...

Oh and sci fi shit is a military based game...

Pokemon and Assassins Creed

I bought X on launch day and I still havent got around to playing Sun and Moon

as for AC, I was super into the franchise until Unity. Not because I didnt enjoy Unity, but because I felt that the things that interested me about it were mostly going away.

I think one big reason for people loosing interest in games is platform switching. Just look at all those 360 to PS4 switchers' classic "I lost all interest in Halo and Gears this gen" comment on Neogaf for proof.

shaowebb

Lately...Injustice. I loved the first game. I was all over it since its very announcement and following it desperate to see if it would make it as a comic book fan and fighting game fan. Now though, the game has mostly mid tier comic book names. Just not the roster I cared about. Thats not too bad though...functions and all that right? Well, possibly...I mean I even play Arcana Heart because it has fun stuff with its tools and I dig the tools in Injustice 2 a lot.

Except the cinematic tax is killing off most of my interest in the game.

Characters lose trait every time a transition clash or super occurs in Injustice 2. Bane goes into Debuff, Green Arrow loses boxing glove arrow and the meter it took or whatever arrow he had, Captain Cold's stock goes down, Canary's charge gets wrecked...it goes on and on and on. In fact, most of the roster is entirely designed around their traits. They are in fact reliant upon trait to function. With the cinematic tax in place Injustice 2 doesn't function well across half of its roster or more. Now...I can only show casual interest in it as a dressup simulator. I can't take learning any cast seriously when the game is designed in such a manner that it favors completely the cast who do not have to worry about their entire efforts during the match resetting back to square one the moment cinematics take place.

Vandole

Harvest Moon. I used to eat up every game in the series, but as time went by the increasing focus on the social sim side of the game killed the fun.

Woorloog

Banned
Arguably every single series whose fan i've been. Though in many cases i don't have even casual interest anymore. Should be noted that there are only few series i've ever been a fan of.

Civilization series i just kinda... grew distant. It doesn't help every new game keeps missing the high par Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri set. Civs may get individual things better but the overall package keeps staying so far below SMAC in fun gameplay. (And SMAC's setting is so much more interesting as well.)
Still, i keep tabs on stuff. Perhaps someday.

Mass Effect: Mass Effect 3 happened. And i never had high hopes for Andromeda but it managed to trash what little i had. Had it been better, i might have kept up with some stuff, like the novels telling the story of the Andromeda Initiative at least, but as it is, nope.
I can't even bother to replay ME1 and 2 anymore. For all ME1's many flaws, i loved that game, and ME2 i regard (or is it now "regarded"?) as one of the best games ever. But even so, ME3 kinda ruined everything.

Command&Conquer. I wouldn't describe myself as a rabid fan but i liked the series well enough (RA2 aside, never cared for that one). Then EA happened: C&C4 is reason enough. C&C3 had its flaws but i will never understand how someone at EA thought C&C4 would be a good idea. History shows us it was not, for it is a game that killed the franchise. How many games have the dubious honor of being franchise-killers? I would not be surprised if there are other former fans driven away by C&C4.
Red Alert 3 didn't really help either. As i note, i don't care for RA2, and RA3 basically doubled-down on silliness. Don't care for that. Would've liked the seriousness-mixed-with-weird-stuff of original RA.

Halo. This one i'm still a casual fan... at least i keep Halo threads subbed here. Don't participate much though, and i'm not hopeful.
The reason is simple enough: Tonal and stylistical change in the series thanks to 343i.
"External" events played a part though. Xbone reveal was pretty shitty. Poorer specs for higher price (compared to PS4), MS's pushing Kinect and other Xbone features that felt completely unnecessary (not to mention rather US-centric). This lead me to abandon Xbox for a time, and Xbox and Halo are largely synonyms (or were, anyway).
It is not all bad, i did like Halo 4 single player for most part. But Halo 5 basically doubled down on the issues of Halo 4 as i see them. And there is no trace of my beloved Halo multiplayer to be seen.
Frankly, i wonder why do i keep having even casual interest... But perhaps that is because Halo has been one of my favorite games since my early teens. Hard to give up all interest, you know?

Warcraft and Starcraft, and arguably anything by Blizzard. Warcraft has been a pretty big thing for me since... Well, as long as Halo, i guess? Since Warcraft 3. Make that 2004 or so. So many years spent playing the campaign, so many years in the multiplayer. And then World of Warcraft.
Warcraft 3's story was never particularly original. But it was fun, well executed and interesting all the same. Then WoW starts making things weird and retconning stuff, and whatever else.
At the same time, i figured i didn't have anything to do within WoW. I didn't care for Battleground PVP, i wasn't interested in raids and i didn't care for grinding dungeons to gear up. And the world was too structured and small to be interesting to explore (and the aforementioned story idiocy didn't motivate me either).
And between WoW messing with the once-interesting fantasy world even more and Starcraft 2's atrocious writing, i can't bring myself to care about the idea of Warcraft IV, if Blizzard ever will bother with that (Starcraft 2 being a borderline commercial-failure doesn't help).
I will be a casual fan, because Blizzard's games are fun to play, in a way that is rare among video games. But i'll be careful not to become invested.

The Elder Scrolls and Fallout. Morrowind is perhaps my most favorite game ever. And it is unlikely to be topped. I loved Oblivion. And for all FO3 missed points of FO1 and 2, it was incredibly fun. And FONV restored Fallout setting back to Fallout.
But then Skyrim and FO4 happened. I did like Skyrim but as years have gone, its flaws feel more and more strongly. The Elder Scrolls setting is so very interesting, but the game doesn't feel right. Mods can help only so much. The Elder Scrolls Online, while fun, is not really the same thing either.
Unfortunately, it seems Bethesda is doubling down on flawed game mechanics and wrong aspects of their open worlds with Fallout 4. And this is the reason i no longer regard myself a hardcore fan of either series. I fear Elder Scrolls VI won't be an RPG anymore, but rather a merely open world game that becomes a some kind of theme park rather than such a immersive world Morrowind was and is.
Not giving up on either one completely, not yet. But i'm not hopeful.

I don't really become a fan of any games anymore. Too risky. I could live with a series ending at its high point but why does it always have to go so bad first? Leaves a sour taste.

Pokemon. Sun and Moon just didn't give me the same feeling that every other game in the series has. I'm probably be willing to try out the next non sun and Moon entry, but probably not on release day.

bobawesome

Persona, up to the week Persona 5 launched.

Had a massive spoiler dropped after searching for something for Persona 4. I just don't care about the series at all at this point and have filtered it on here, Reddit, and Youtube.

Final Fantasy. Didn't like 8 at all (grinding drawing spells or whatever, snooze).

10 was entertaining and I liked the turn based system but it was stupid easy.

When 12 went full faux-MMO (characters on autopilot) they lost me. In fact, a lot of JRPGs do that now, and I've tried to like a few anyway (Star Ocean 3, Xenoblade), but I don't.

So about the only JRPG I play any more is Dragon Quest, because I feel like the rest of them have lost the fundamentals. Did enjoy Radiant Historia, but haven't finished it yet (sidetracked by DQ7 3DS).

bluethree

FF kinda lost me at XII but I just bought the remaster to give it a second chance. Honestly, I didn't have a PS3 for much of that generation and I haven't heard many good things about the XIII games so I never bothered. XV looks okay, but I just got a PS4 and wanted to try XII again first.

Pro Evolution Soccer and NCAA football when they went to the PS3/360. Their transition to next gen at the time sucked. Killed my interest in them and honestly I got out of the console scene bc of it for like 6-7 years.

i-Jest

Mom didn't buy me a Gameboy Advance/SP, so I couldn't get gen 3 of Pokemon. It was YEARS (2014) till I had any interest in playing Pokemon again.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
2d Mario. A long hiatus followed by New Super Mario Bros DS did the series in for me. Haven't played a 2d Mario since

You missed out on NSMBU, the best 2D Mario ever.

As for my response to the OP, I have to go with sports games in general. Every game is too similar to the previous incarnation, and the controls just got ridiculously complicated over time.

Azzanadra

Diablo. I loved Diablo 1 and 2, I was so into the lore I even read the books- Diablo 3 however was massively disappointing, and I don't care what anyone says but Reaper of Souls wasn't much better. The current endgame of rifts is just mindbogglingly boring, in D2 it was actually a challenge to complete the nightmare and hell difficulties which gave reason to grind, in D3 you do rifts and make big numbers appear on screen to do even more rifts to make bigger numbers appear on screen.

And before anyone says it, the Torment difficulty slider does not replace the traditional difficulty, because people will be just doing rifts anyways whereas before the difficulty was a challenge to overcome, kind of like SoulsBorne Ng+ on steroids. It doesn't help that the D3 campaign just sucks so really its best to just rush it anyways (though I think now you don't even have to do that?).

Oh, I'l say Starcraft as well. I never even ended up getting Legacy of the Void, game became way too complicated and Blizzards obsession with the e-sports scene made it inaccessible to more "casual" or softcore fans like myself. Funnily enough the game has dropped in popularity on that front as well- oh the irony! It wasn't like Brood War years of dicking around anymore. Blizzard in general needs to stop fucking around with what works, Overwatch is great and I love it, but that's the only Blizzard game I can enjoy these days.

jviggy43

Halo, only less casual and more apathetic. I won't buy anymore halo games from 343 due to nearly every decision just moving further away from what i loved about the original series. I'm glad people enjoy it but it's just not at all for me. Actually this even began earlier with reach which really served as the precursor of contemporary halo gameplay.

Final fantasy is another one. Nothing has impressed me or seemed nearly at the quality of the series after 10.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
GTA.

I remember playing the first 2 on PC at my friends pretty much every day after school but GTA III was on a whole other level. That was what got me hooked and made me fall in love with GTA. I always said GTA was my favourite game series and I was also so proud to say it was made where I live right here in Scotland.

When V was announced I was super hyped for it. I still remember watching the trailer for the first time "Why did I move here? I guess it was the weather..." and it blew my mind how good it looked and that we were back in Los Santos. Every day I would go check for new info but Rockstar were still marketing Max Payne 3 so we got nothing for about 7 months. I spent so much time following and discussing it for almost 2 years. When I actually loaded up the game I knew where everything was on the map because I had seen all the trailer/screenshots. Infact I already had drawn a map of my own and must say it was pretty damn close to what we got. I wish I could find it now. You get my point anyway...

I initially bought the game on PS3 because at first Rockstar had only announced it for PS3/360. At the time I wasn't sure if I'd be getting a PS4 any time soon and anyway wasn't prepared to keep waiting and hope they might release a PS4 version. I had desperately waited almost 2 years to play it. Of course 9 months later they announced PS4/XB1/PC versions and I bought it for PS4. Eventually ended up buying it for PC too when I built one.

What ruined it for me is Rockstars focus on GTA Online. Me and my friends played it for quite a bit. We eventually got bored of playing the same heists over and over again so moved on to other games. I do enjoy multiplayer and don't have a problem with their being multiplayer modes but Rockstar have pretty much ignored the single player part of the game. At first they'd add new cars/weapons but eventually stopped it. GTA Online has a load of features that aren't found in single player which sucks. Online has way more weapons/vehicles and cosmetic stuff like clothes, hair styles, tattoos. There is no reason they couldn't havw added those in SP.

I was excited for the SP DLC they announced where we'd get more of Michael, Franklin, and Trevor but I guess they decided it wasn't worth it since they were making way more $ thanks to people buying Shark Cards. Single player was an after thought and now it's like they forgot it even exists.

If this is the way Rockstar are taking the series then I'm done. They trick people into double or even triple dipping. They totally ignore a huge part of the game. I imagine GTA VI will have less focus on single player which will be a shame. Now I don't feel attached to this series at all anymore which is sad. It seems also they are going to take the same approach with Red Dead Redemption 2. If they ruin that too then I'm done with Rockstar.

Corven

It is the legend of Zelda for me, I stopped playing them after twilight princess. I had no interest in the wii and didn't want to pay several hundred dollars on a console for one game franchise. That thought has continued forward from the wii to the switch.

Although there may be hope for the switch since it doesn't look so dead in the water like the wii u was.

Final Fantasy.

While I liked FF15, FF13 almost killed it for me.

MGS. I thought MGS4 was the perfect send off.

GTA. I thought 4 was so boring, that I didn't play GTA 5 until I got PS4 Black Friday bundle. Now 5 is probably my favorite in the series after Vice City.

Assassin's Creed. Revelations, and 3 really took the steam out of that series for me. What once was a must buy for me, has become hit or miss. Loved Black Flag though.

Kenai

Star Ocean. I used to love it, then 4 happened. I traded it in the next day, eyeballed the other but ended up bowing out on that too. Maybe someday I will try it (heavily discounted).

orioto

Good Art™
Oh boy, FF was killed by X for me,and it was not the gameplay. It was the story, the multi composer track, the characters.. Something was lost for good.

Dark_castle

Fire Emblem. Radiant Dawn was such a high point in the series for me. Around that time I would have easily considered Fire Emblem a top 10 franchise for me. Then Shadow Dragon being a pretty medicore and ugly looking game killed a lot of momentum but I was willing to give them another chance. One misstep shouldn't doom a franchise. But Awakening is just an awful game. The art's ugly, the map is design is horrid, the characters are awful, etc. I don't know if there's anything I actually enjoy about that game. And once again I got suckered into buying Fates: Conquest since I heard "it's like classic fire emblem" and "they improved it a lot". And while I would agree it's far above Awakening (the worst game in the series imo) it still suffers from very poorly thought out decisions. I didn't end up finishing it and haven't played Shadows of Valentia. I think the only way for me to get back in would them to remake Genealogy of the Holy War or Thracia 778. And even then they would probably change it for the worse.
'
Paper Mario is also another one. 1 and 2 are 10/10 games and have excellent designs, writing, characters, tone, mechanics, etc. Super Paper Mario was decent but not what I wanted. Haven't even bothered with Sticker Star, Paper Jam, or Color Splash.

Radiant Dawn is my jam too! Favorite in the series bar none, but Echoes is actually quite good. Haven't beat it yet but it held my interest far more than Awakening and Fates.

alexbull_uk

Halo post-Bungie.

I don’t actually think that 343i are doing a particularly bad job, it’s just not the same as it used to be.

Top Bottom