• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seriously considering the Xbox1 over the ps4

It should really come down to what exclusives you like the best.
If don't like any of the exclusives, upgrade your video card and enjoy the cheaper prices on PC.

Had both, sold the Xbox because multiplats are generally better on PS4. But by the sounds of it, you like what Xbone has to offer, so get one. It's still a damn fine machine.

Xav

Neither system is doing anything special at the moment. Nintendo is destroying both in terms of game quality.

I'd say hold out until E3 and see what the future potentially looks like for PS4 and Xbox One.

Jobbs

Banned
if racing games are a big priority then I'd admit XB1 is the better console.

For anyone else, though, I can't say the same. As far as I can tell virtually every multiplatform game looks/runs better on PS4 to some degree or another -- in some cases the difference is rather substantial. For the "general" gamer I'd still recommend PS4.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I'm in there for racing games and I got a ps3 over an 360 because of the wheel support.

Sony seems to have fucked up wheel support

Just when I think I have forgotten about this travesty I am reminded. I bought my G27 about 3-4yrs ago because of Sonys continuing Logitech support and pimping, plus I figured it was a given it would be supported this gen. Really feeling burnt, moreso that Project C.A.R.S is only around the corner.

I really am done with buying peripherals that I don't know if they will be supported in the furutre. I can only imagine how ripped off owners of that expensive Fanatec wheel for 360 feel.

PensOwl

Banned
This seems like a good place to ask this (didn't want to make a new thread)-
Does anyone know exactly what the TV capabilities of the X1 are? I know they pushed this aspect pretty hard, and the TV tuner and smartglass streaming seem really cool, but apparently that's only available in the EU

So I guess what I'm asking is what media/tv benefits does the X1 offer for someone in the NA with no cable, only the digital OTA broadcast and who isn't interested in kinect?

It's that good

When did you get to play it? I'm going to get the damn game too (I love games), but at this point I get the same feel as when The Order was first shown and everyone went apeshit for it. Let's wait until it drops to decide how awesome a game is.
Though I still think The Order has great potential and will pick it up

Bgamer90

Banned
This seems like a good place to ask this (didn't want to make a new thread)-
Does anyone know exactly what the TV capabilities of the X1 are? I know they pushed this aspect pretty hard, and the TV tuner and smartglass streaming seem really cool, but apparently that's only available in the EU

So I guess what I'm asking is what media/tv benefits does the X1 offer for someone in the NA with no cable, only the digital OTA broadcast and who isn't interested in kinect?

You can use the TV features on the Xbox One without Kinect and Cable TV via:

1. IR Extension Cable: http://support.xbox.com/xbox-one/live-tv/use-external-ir-with-xbox-one

-plus-

2. Mediasonic HomeWork OTA box: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I2ZBD1U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You won't be able to control things via voice, but you will be able to quickly switch between Games and TV and also control both via smartglass.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If you're a racing game fan then I would recommend XBO right now. I'm not a fan myself but that's the one genre where I think they're considerably ahead.

PensOwl

Banned
You can use the TV features on the Xbox One without Kinect and Cable TV via:

1. IR Extension Cable: http://support.xbox.com/xbox-one/live-tv/use-external-ir-with-xbox-one

-plus-

2. Mediasonic HomeWork OTA box: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I2ZBD1U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You won't be able to control things via voice, but you will be able to quickly switch between Games and TV and also control both via smartglass.

Hmm seems like the only benefit of hooking TV up to the X1 would be OneGuide then...
I think I'm going to just sit and hope the TV tuner comes to NA with the streaming features intact.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
What wheel do ya have? As even with MS it has proprietary wheels. If you have a T500 it'll work with ps4

Bgamer90

Banned
Hmm seems like the only benefit of hooking TV up to the X1 would be OneGuide then...

Yeah pretty much (without Kinect).

I think I'm going to just sit and hope the TV tuner comes to NA with the streaming features intact.

I would love for it to come out here but it doesn't seem like it will. Seems like MS can't get around the policies of the major networks here when it comes to streaming/watching TV via smartglass.

catmincer

I bought what offered best value. This was easily an Xbox one. Console plus sunset overdrive, the evil within and halo collection for $50 less than a standalone ps4.

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.
Pick up whichever one you feel you need the most right now.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Why the fuck did you buy it, unless your in some super late tier 3 country.

Got Ryse and Forza with the console. Wasn't expecting every single multiplatform game I wanted to be better on PS4.

Was hyped for Titanfall but after playing both betas, bought it on PC instead for steady framerate and solid resolution.

I like using it for multimedia, controlling my entertainment center with voice commands, etc.

All multiplatform games this generation so far I have purchased on PS4 due to the increased fidelity.

I am kind of interested in SO, played a bit this morning, dunno if I will end up buying it though.

As an owner of both, with more time spent on the PS4... It really depends on what you value like many others have said.

DLNA is obviously xb1 right now... I love using Plex with it, and generally use my xb1 for all my media over the ps4.

Multiplatform important? So far ps4 (and unlikely to really change) has been the go to for that unless you're rocking a decent PC.

Online is where it gets tricky for me... If I had to pick right now one over the other, and I played online a decent amount (which I currently am)... I'd pick xb1. The constant problems with PSN from messages, to friend requests and party invites, random disconnects, etc etc.. This alone has made me think twice about some of my multiplatform purchases lately. It just ends up being an amazingly frustrating experience more often than not.

Personal preference on this one, but I also prefer the xb1 UI... I find it easier to navigate (with and without kinect), better organized for the most part, and mostly more important information right in front of me. (I like the new updates that have friends and messages scroll on the right of the home screen). I like the different tabs that can be quickly browsed through, whereas the ps4 everything is a couple buttons away and is accompanied by a loading circle that generally takes far longer than I feel it should in this day in age (again, just my opinion)

That being said, I've definitely spent more 'gaming' time on the ps4 over my xb1... But if they don't sort out the online stuff soon, I feel thats going to change for me.

So what does your history of purchasing consoles have to do with whether our not the Xbox One had DLNA?

Or are you wanting advice? I'm confused, seems you just wanted to know if it had DLNA, which it does, the rest of your post, idk....

specialK

Banned
Do you always buy the most powerful car? Why are people so black and white about this stuff?
If I can definitely. I mean...there is nothing wrong if you buy a less powerful car or console, the truth is that there's a less powerful console out there and that is a fact, that's all.

SURGEdude

Got both day 1 and I prefer the gaming on the PS4 marginally. But I use my Xbox more just because of the wider selection of apps and especially DLNA.

OsirisBlack

Banned
qKWqrUe.jpg

There are pros and cons to each system.

The XB1 does exactly what Microsoft had in mind from the beginning and it also plays games very well. Seeing as you asked about DLNA support I assume you are looking to stream movies and listen to music from your PC. If that is the case the XB1 > PS4.

I use XB1 as a media/game box, buy Multiplats on PS4 or PC depending on game type and I Use my Wii U for exclusives.

All three consoles have some killer exclusives coming next year. Bloodborne,The Order 1886,Ori and the blind forest,Quantum break,Scale bound,Uncharted 4, Xenoblade, Zelda U(Probably 2016). Just buy them all.

Forza is a great series, and they seem to be coming out with a new one every year between Horizon & the Motorsport series.

The rumble triggers on the X1 also really add to the experience, so feel free to jump it, and just get a ps4 whenever GT7 come out in 2 years or so.

SpyGuy239

qKWqrUe.jpg

There are pros and cons to each system.

The XB1 does exactly what Microsoft had in mind from the beginning and it also plays games very well. Seeing as you asked about DLNA support I assume you are looking to stream movies and listen to music from your PC. If that is the case the XB1 > PS4.

I use XB1 as a media/game box, buy Multiplats on PS4 or PC depending on game type and I Use my Wii U for exclusives.

All three consoles have some killer exclusives coming next year. Bloodborne,The Order 1886,Ori and the blind forest,Quantum break,Scale bound,Uncharted 4, Xenoblade, Zelda U(Probably 2016). Just buy them all.

wow that Advanced Warfare Xbone looks awesome.

Fbh

Well as a Ps4 owner...... right now X1 seems to be the better deal.

It's cheaper, offers basically the same multiplatform experience (Well... the latest trend seems to be slightly more blurry but with slightly better performance) and offers better exclusives, specially if you are a racing fan (from your post I asume you are).

Sony has done a terrible job this first year. Lackluster exclusives, issues with PSN, basic features still missing, delay in bringing new features to the OS and issues once they finally do, etc.

The only thing that's making me not regret getting it is that most of my friends are on PSN so for me it will allways offer the best multiplayer experience. I'd recomend you consider this factor, if you like multiplayer games the best platform will allways be were your friends are. The PC version of Battlefield 4 can run at 120fps, 4k and ultra graphics and to me it will still be inferior to the Ps4 version, because there is were my friends are

MS victory for November NPD confirmed.

I sure hope so. And that it stays at the top spot for several months.

"Winner" Sony sucks. It's about time X1 starts leading in sales so Sony gets worried and stops screwing around

shandy706

MS victory for November NPD confirmed.

My best friend came over today to watch football. He tried GTA V during halftime an was floored by it.

He just sent me a shot of of his new X1 in his trucks seat! LOL

Now here's the crazy part. He left here at 5:30pm (est). He said he went to 2 Gamestops, 1 Best Buy, and 2 freaken Walmarts across nearly 3 hours. He found ONE X1 at that 2nd Walmart, which obviously stopped his search. It was a 1TB COD system for $449 so he picked it up. Those other stores were all sold out.

pixlexic

Banned
ummm .... (quietly) nooo.. dont.. how could you?

but seriously if you want xbone exclusives the differences in multiplats isn't enough to warrant not being able to play them. so go ahead.

AlexBasch

Yeah, same.

I'm paying PS+ for the discounts in PS3 and I have beaten most of the IGC games in there, I wouldn't keep the sub for online play.

If I wanted to pay for online, I'd go with XBL instead. Plus, PS4 games aren't really catching my attention right now, whilst Sunset Overdrive, MCC and Killer Instinct are more appealing for me.

SURGEdude

Forza is a great series, and they seem to be coming out with a new one every year between Horizon & the Motorsport series.

The rumble triggers on the X1 also really add to the experience, so feel free to jump it, and just get a ps4 whenever GT7 come out in 2 years or so.

The One controller is vastly superior for sure. But rumble triggers add to the experience? I don't agree. Gimmick at best.

Bloodborne

that would be one of the reasons i pick up a ps4 but the main reason I got one myself is for persona I've always been a massive fan of that game but it's a console seller for me

the share feature is also pretty neat but i can't wait to see how refined it becomes in a few years has tons of potential

Ambient80

Both systems have good to great games right now. I really enjoy FH2 and MCC on XB1, and while not exclusive I like CoD and Mordor on PS4. Bloodborne also looks great.

Just get what you like. As long as you enjoy it and get a lot of use out of the console that's all that matters!

OsirisBlack

Banned
My best friend came over today to watch football. He tried GTA V during halftime an was floored by it.

He just sent me a shot of of his new X1 in his trucks seat! LOL

Now here's the crazy part. He left here at 5:30pm (est). He said he went to 2 Gamestops, 1 Best Buy, and 2 freaken Walmarts across nearly 3 hours. He found ONE X1 at that 2nd Walmart, which obviously stopped his search. It was a 1TB COD system for $449 so he picked it up. Those other stores were all sold out.

Quoted this to tell the OP this is probably going to be the easiest XB1 to find and the 1TB hard drive is so worth it. I had to swap out the HD in my PS4 last month I was getting sick of deleting games to be able to play new ones. Also while not a hard core racing game Mario Kart 8 is dumb fun.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Get XB1 by the sounds of it. It has DLNA (goddamn it whhy PS4 where is it).
By the sounds of it you already made the smart choice for your situation.
Buy a PS4 when GT7 comes out as you suggest.

Yes the XBO has DLNA streaming. By all means pick it up, there's enough to play in most genres to keep your interest. You can always pick up a PS4 next year.

Pretty much it.
From your OP the XB1 is the obvious choice there is no reason to stress over it.

Im glad the thread didnt quickly devolve into some console war garbage.

Ecto311

Got 2 xbox one units and happy with both. The games are there that I really enjoy (sunset overdrive is a great example) and the playstation has never appealed to me. There are no games on that side of things that interest me at all. I wanted to get a PS4 but nothing sticks out to me as good enough to justify the system. I do like dumping movies on a flash drive and watching them through the system now its great.

Oxn

I very much prefer to buy the PS4, however with such a great deal I got on the XB1, I couldnt pass it up.

White XB1 for only a lil over 200? Hell yea.

Bergerac

UK - I was in Tesco today, and there's a 42" LG LED TV I'd been looking at for £300... well today I saw they have an offer on for both that same TV and the XBone bundled with... I wanna say Forza... for £500. So anyone in the UK looking for an XBone and a similar TV, head to Tesco.

Top Bottom