• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seriously? FUCK Cross-Gen games!

ksdixon

The pain is real, I am sat here as the sole PS4 owner amongst friends and family who flat out refuse to upgrade.

The main problem is cross-gen games getting released into the foreseeable future (2015 releases will still be on PS3/XB360). Certain people aren't going to plonk down money on a new console in order to play a better version of a game they want, they'll just get the game for their already-owned console. For them it's the difference between £50 on last gen and £350+£50 on the current gen, and price will always win. The only way to get those players to upgrade is to literally only put a game on current gen, so if they 'really' want it that much they will suddenly be able to justify getting a new console.

I realize that not everyone can afford a new console. But that argument QUICKLY loses all it's momentum when you realize that people who're in employment are on a lot more money that I am, and it only took me a month of saving a little out of three benefit payments (after paying rent, bills and food etc) in order for me to walk down to my local TESCOS and pick up a PS4 for £350, and a copy of Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes. The PS+ game(s) kept me stocked-up until I could afford to pick something else-up two weeks later, and so-on. Someone who is on a full time wage wouldn't have to save-up for a month in advance, or wait a further two weeks to get a second retail game etc. And the fact that now that time has gone-on the console isn't always £350, sometimes it's £330, or £320, or sometimes has a game bundled-in etc.

Note: Sorry is this isn't thread-worthy, didn't know where else to put it, and I wanted to see if anyone has any for/against discussion points regarding cross-gen games.

Mohonky

Gaming isnt as high a priority for so e people and they are fine with being able to just play a game without worrying whether its the best looking version.

Control your elitism.

Even if a person could save up the money for a new PS4/Wii U/Xbox One quickly, it's perfectly reasonable that they may want to use their money for other things, especially if they don't care about the technical side of gaming and/or didn't want to play any of the next-gen only games. It's a little strange to to me for someone to be *upset* at their friends or the existence of cross-gen games because not everyone has upgraded or wants to upgrade yet.

What it sounds like you're really saying is "eff buying a next gen console until your friends are ready to upgrade", which sounds pretty reasonable if one of your main concerns in playing online with your friends.

When the publishers decided that they would bank on cross gen for the foreseeable future, it was an really smart business decision, so I totally get why they did it.

It sucks for the hardcore first mover consumer, but the publishers are businesses and need money to operate, and going cross gen was a great way to earn the most.

Renekton

Gaming isnt as high a priority for so e people and they are fine with being able to just play a game without worrying whether its the best looking version.
Yeah haha my big brother is happy to buy PS3 version of any game, he can't really tell the difference.

Actually, good lord cross-gen games exist. Many people are not able to afford a new hardware, and giving them some more games to play in the near future is great.

SalvaPot

If they had Backwards Compatibility maybe more people will upgrade.

Also games are pretty expensive to make, so no wonder most Publishers are playing it safe releasing in older consoles.

But yeah, it sucks to have a new console and have no one to play with.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Platform holders need to make the new platforms more desirable.

They do that by funding games only available on those platforms (unless ports are easily done) and by trying to get the price down.

Based on recent sales numbers there is pretty good adoption for new generation software, so depending on how risk averse a multiplatform publisher is those cross-gen games will stop sooner than you'd think.

JordanN

Banned
I would be fine with cross-gen if the PS3/360 versions got their own teams.

Just building games around last gen limitations and up porting them is pretty shitty imo and it benefits no one. The PS3/360 versions would struggle to run, screwing over last gen owners. Whereas next gen owners get a game that makes zero use of the more powerful hardware outside of resolution.

dubq

Someone who is on a full time wage wouldn't have to save-up for a month in advance, or wait a further two weeks to get a second retail game etc.
So you have direct insight as to what peoples financial priorities and budgets are?

ksdixon

Control your elitism.

Elitism? I could perhaps understand that if I'd bought a PS4 on launch. Or if I was making the argument that PS4's games are better than what is available on other consoles (I did make a passing comment on how PS4 versions of cross-gen games are better, but that wasn't the crux of my argument).

My point was that whilst there are still last gen versions of games, certain people will never find the justification to upgrade. They will still get their AssCreeds, CODs, FIFAs etc. Batman: Arkham Knight does it right. Now all of a sudden one of my brothers whom has all the previous Arkham games is suddenly at-least half-interested in a PS4 just to continue or finish the Arkham storyline. If that game was also available on PS3/XB360 he would have no justification for upgrading. Plus once he upgrades he'll still be able to get his AssCreeds, CODs, FIFAs etc.

I don't know. The Xbox 360 at One's launch had eight years of games. Sometimes it's good to push people to move on.

Xbox 360 started becoming really popular in the middle of its life cycle, so around 2008-2009. Those who bought the platform in its first years are likely those who already upgraded to Xbox One.

Platform holders need to make the new platforms more desirable.

They do that by funding games only available on those platforms (unless ports are easily done) and by trying to get the price down.

Based on recent sales numbers there is pretty good adoption for new generation software, so depending on how risk averse a multiplatform publisher is those cross-gen games will stop sooner than you'd think.

Theres good adoption for new gen software but theres still plenty of money to be made off last gen buyers. They're gonna milk that well till it runs dry. The cost of including a last gen port of the game is probably nothing compared to the money they get from the people who still buy them. Assassin's Creed Rogue/Unity pretty much show that since Ubi was willing to make a completely separate game just to cash in on last gen owners. It doesn't help that this new gen doesn't really offer much of a difference than last gen did with the big HD movement, yeah we get more power but most consumers really dont care.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
God bless cross gen games.

Absolutely no need for me to shell out for a new console in its early days where there's not a lot of games.

Xbox 360 started becoming really popular in the middle of its life cycle, so around 2008-2009. Those who bought the platform in its first years are likely those who already upgraded to Xbox One.

Fair, but still, whether you're buying a 360 in 2005 or 2013 you have to recognize you're buying hardware released in 2005 and eventually it's going to have to come to an end to make way for the new toys. There would be more reason to be excited for the systems happening now if people would be less excited to hug their near-decade old boxes.

benny_a

Theres good adoption for new gen software but theres still plenty of money to be made off last gen buyers. They're gonna milk that well till it runs dry. The cost of including a last gen port of the game is probably nothing compared to the money they get from the people who still buy them. Assassin's Creed Rogue/Unity pretty much show that since Ubi was willing to make a completely separate game just to cash in on last gen owners.
The decision to create AC: Rogue wasn't done with software sales after the launch of the new generation of consoles in mind.

Duxxy3

There is a reason why I HOPE HOPE HOPE the advanced warfare PS3/360 port is complete and utter shit. It's because people need to get the fuck off the old systems, and right now there's little incentive to do so. A sub 600p, variable frame rate Call of Duty port could be the biggest driver of next gen systems so far.

I really don't see the problem. It's good people can still capitalize on their investment on an old-gen console buying old games, while new consoles owners still get games to play, while many are next-gen exclusives.

More casual people will upgrade to next-gen when they feel the hardware prices are right for them, maybe in a couple of years, in the meanwhile it's good they still have new games to play.

And it even doesn't bother me on the games quality side. I mean, one of the games i mostly enjoyed this year, The Evil Within, is a cross-gen one.

ksdixon

So you have direct insight as to what peoples financial priorities and budgets are?

Yeah. I get approximately £200 every two weeks. Last time I checked the national minimum wage for full time employment was somewhere around £200 for one week. I paid my rent, bills and food shopping and still managed to buy myself a PS4 in around a month's time. If someone is making about double the money I am, it's a good bet that they have more disposable income than I do. Having a mortgage is typically a lower cost per month than renting privately like I do as well. It's not as easy as saying 'not everyone can afford a new console'. The last gen lasted like 8 years if not more, and we're a year removed from the launch of this gen. It's a question of making the new consoles desireable or justifiable. And my opinion is that cross-gen games seriously get in the way of being able to do this. For casual gamers it is probably the single biggest stumbling block, rather than lack of DLNA and things like that which only affect hardcore gamers/media streamers.

Publishers are in no way responsible for making people upgrade to the next generation of hardware - that's up to first parties. So considering that, it would be a really stupid business decision for a publishers to say: "Hey, you know those 170 million machines out there in customer hands? Fuck 'em, we're going all in on those other 15 million." There might be a couple reasons why early adopters could feel a little jaded towards cross-gen games (I'd say the bigger issue than friends not upgrading would be the lack of software fully taking advantage your expensive new hardware), but to be outright angry over them is a bit silly and self-centered. You can't blame a company for wanting to continue to serve a still massive customer base, rather than focusing on a handful of early adopters.

also lol at telling people you know how their money needs to be spent better than they do

Spineker

Banned

Control your elitism.

While I understand your point here, acknowledging that cross gen is a significant weight around the ankles of progress in games is not elitism. That is just a fact.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
God bless cross gen games.

Absolutely no need for me to shell out for a new console in its early days where there's not a lot of games.

But on the flip side, if there weren't any cross gen games, then the new consoles would have quite a few more games to themselves.

Yeah. I get approximately £200 every two weeks. Last time I checked the national minimum wage for full time employment was somewhere around £200 for one week. I paid my rent, bills and food shopping and still managed to buy myself a PS4 in around a month's time. If someone is making about double the money I am in half the time, it's a good bet that they have more disposable income than I do.
Hint: not everyone is into gaming like you. Maybe people just want to play a bunch of games and don't care at all about platform or power. Maybe they prefer to spend their moneys in other goods they value much more than gaming?

February is put up or shut up time; No Evolve, Order 1886, The Witcher 3, or Bloodborne on Ps3/360^^ Until then you are paying the same price for much better looking/playing versions of what they are buying so do not feel too bad^^

ZeroX03

Banned
My point was that whilst there are still last gen versions of games, certain people will never find the justification to upgrade. They will still get their AssCreeds, CODs, FIFAs etc. Batman: Arkham Knight does it right. Now all of a sudden one of my brothers whom has all the previous Arkham games is suddenly at-least half-interested in a PS4 just to continue or finish the Arkham storyline. If that game was also available on PS3/XB360 he would have no justification for upgrading. Plus once he upgrades he'll still be able to get his AssCreeds, CODs, FIFAs etc.

You just listed a bunch of third party titles. Third party lives to sell as many copies of their games as possible, and if the new gen consoles aren't selling well enough they'll make up for it with cross gen sales. It's up to the console manufacturers to create desirability in new systems. You're throwing blame in the wrong direction.

Most of the cross-gen stuff is gone after this year anyway, new gen sales were higher than anticipated. CoD and FIFA will stay cross-gen for a few years though because of how massive they are. FIFA is still on PS2, but most people will move on eventually.

Yeah. I get approximately £200 every two weeks. Last time I checked the national minimum wage for full time employment was somewhere around £200 for one week. I paid my rent, bills and food shopping and still managed to buy myself a PS4 in around a month's time.

You're not in a position to judge other's finances or living circumstances. People with medical conditions, children, debt, etc do not have the freedom to throw away money like you do. I'd put basic living costs here at around £150 (after currency conversion) and that's the bare minimum. Keep in mind not everyone can get 40 hour weeks either.

benny_a

But on the flip side, if there weren't any cross gen games, then the new consoles would have quite a few more games to themselves.
You don't know that.

It depends on the publisher and how much they are willing to invest in a new platform that they can't project well yet as opposed to platforms that they have years of experience on.

There would probably be Ubisoft support because they support every new platform to capitalize on launch hype. ;-)

Marceles

I honestly don't mind, I play my last gen systems a lot more than this gen and my backlog on last gen is insane thanks to me only having so much time to play games I already own and PS+. I should be somewhat ready sometime next year, but I think they're accommodating both gens quite well.

Having a console generation twice as long as normal will do that. Hard to drop the countless millions of potential customers that have been built up over the past 9 years.

Seanspeed

Banned
This is so different from other discussions on cross-gen that I've read on here, where most people were desperately hoping for the end of it.

Dr Dogg

Well the way I see both the Xbox One and the PS4 at the moment neither have a library that screams must have to me yet. I bought a PS3 on launch and realistically it ended up as a BluRay player and BC PS2 in the majority until 2009, 2 years after its launch. I picked up a 360 in April 2008 only because there was 5 or 6 titles out then that I couldn't play anywhere else and lots more planned for the future. Right now looking what's out on both of those consoles and what's planned for the future I think I'm good holding off for a year at least. Maybe if some decent Japanese RPGs turn up for the PS4 or Microsoft hit it out the park with their IPs or either gets some killer exclusives not available anywhere else (and a bit more than just one or two).

There just isn't the draw to spend that amount of money on a new console for me anymore. Neither are backwards compataple with my pre-exsiting 360 or PS3 librarys and neither has a new technology draw like the PS2 was many peoples first DVD player, the PS3 was one the best BluRay players (and cheaper than a lot of standalones) at the times and even the 360 had HD DVD.

Cross Gen development could end today and there's still no compelling reason for me to want to 'upgrade'.

Izuna

Banned
What is wrong with staying current Gen? It is their choice breh.

I wouldn't have gone next Gen for a long time if it weren't for KI myself.

I played a ton of 360 when I had my Bone still. Graphics, aren't really important for fun. I have played Destiny on 360 and it is pretty much the same experience.

If I wasn't into the Bone, I wouldn't have picked up a PS4 yet either until Bloodborne. I waited a long time for the Vita too.

I LOVE cross-gen games, because I don't have to waste money on a new console to play games I want.

So suck it OP. OR, buy the version your friends are playing and join them.

JordanN

Banned
Publishers are in no way responsible for making people upgrade to the next generation of hardware - that's up to first parties. So considering that, it would be a really stupid business decision for a publishers to say: "Hey, you know those 170 million machines out there in customer hands? Fuck 'em, we're going all in on those other 15 million." There might be a couple reasons why early adopters could feel a little jaded towards cross-gen games (I'd say the bigger issue than friends not upgrading would be the lack of software fully taking advantage your expensive new hardware), but to be outright angry over them is a bit silly and self-centered. You can't blame a company for wanting to continue to serve a still massive customer base, rather than focusing on a handful of early adopters.

also lol at telling people you know how their money needs to be spent better than they do
Yeah, it's ultimately Sony/MS responsibility to get everyone upgrading. But that leaves me frustrated too.

Since 3rd parties are going to take their sweet time moving to next gen, you'd think MS/Sony would go crazy and announce a ton of exclusive games of their own in the mean time. If they did that, I would not have to care at all what happens to cross gen.
But they haven't done that which leaves me a tad annoyed.

cjp

It's Tesco, not Tescos.

Less cross gen would be nice but I don't think its something that should outrage you, OP.

Kysen

You lost me at the part where you spent your benefit payments on a console. Shit like this is why benefits should be payed in credits and not cash.

Kimppis

It kinda sucks, but I'm fine with it as long as they stop making them within a year. I hope they are gone after 2015, for the most part ofc. 360 came out in 2005, 10 years is more than enough.

ZeroX03

Banned
Since 3rd parties are going to take their sweet time moving to next gen, you'd think MS/Sony would go crazy and announce a ton of exclusive games of their own in the mean time. If they did that, I would not have to care at all what happens to cross gen.
But they haven't done that which leaves me a tad annoyed.

Announcing exclusives and releasing them are two very different things. Sure many people buy systems just for certain exclusives (TLG & Versus XIII fans lol) as soon they're announced, but for some people you just need the games to actually be available. And it's hard to push out fantastic line ups in the first year... just look at almost every console ever.

Plus announcing games too early is just a bad idea. If your game goes more than a year from announce to release you're probably going to get backlash and people burning their hype out.

ksdixon

I LOVE cross-gen games, because I don't have to waste money on a new console to play games I want.

So suck it OP. OR, buy the version your friends are playing and join them.

I'm not buying two versions of the same game + dlc. Have you seen, for example, the dlc price gouging on WWE 2K15? You could almost purchase another game once you get done paying for that game's Season Pass and other pieces of DLC. By the same token I'm not buying a watered-down, half-assed version of a game just because my friends or family are too cheap to upgrade. Not when I have the option of better on my already-owned PS4. Now don't get me wrong, these are people who LOVE the wrestlng games. If WWE 2K15 was only available on PS4/XB1 they'd find a way to justify upgrading, believe me. The fact that it is also available on old machines is a problem. It's a problem for me, and our player community because now there's a divide. It's a problem for them because until more games take Batman Arkham Knight's lead, they are going to be paying the same price for game + dlc but yet playing versions of the game with content left-out.

Top Bottom