• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seriously, has a better movie been made in the last twenty years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
demon said:
Memento is so fucking overrated stop mentioning it, people. Good movie, sure, but more gimmicky than genius.

OOOOH ITS LIKE A REAL MOVIE, BUT BACKWARDS!

i guess if you considered innovative story telling a gimmick then lots of movies are overrated. yes if it wsan't told the same way it would not even be mentioned but the fact is it was told out of order. movies are about telling a story and in this case it was told perfectly.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
It's really weird how Eastwood can turn the Oscar winning filmmaking on and off like he does. "Letters from Iwo Jima! From the director who brought you bloodwork and Space Cowboys!"

Gattsu25

Banned
Barnolde said:
The-Shawshank-Redemption-Poster-C10288986.jpeg

/thread
Hell yes, this movie is spectacular and I can watch this over and over again

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Unforgiven was good. I need to see it again.

Dunno if I have a favorite movie or not, there are many I love, but one I've seen countless times is:

680yt79.jpg

I love the Dirty Harry movies as well. I need to get them all on DVD.

spliced

I haven't seen Unforgiven but out of the movies I have seen I'd have to go with Dumb & Dumber. Everything just works so well, I can't see there being a better movie.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
msdstc said:
bah there's so many better movies.

eternal-sunshine.jpg

people lack appreciation for this amazing movie.
Its an excellent movie. I wouldnt say its the best from movie of the last 20 years, but its rare that I enjoy a movie as much as I enjoyed this. I hadnt read anything about this movie before I watched it. I pretty much wanted to watch it just for jim carrey despite thinking that he would be crap in it. I didnt think that he could do a serious role very well. I was expecting this movie to be about a cheesy love plot with bad acting. I was very very wrong. The movie was brilliant.

sankesonaplane.jpg

Seriously, how can the movie not be the greatest of all time? I just wish SoAP was on blu-ray(I'd buy an HDTV for it). I'd also agree with the Departed or That one where Batman was a wizard and Wolverine kept trying to steal his moves.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Gigglepoo said:
My favorite movie of the last 20 years (and ever) is Hero. Feel free to disagree with me. If you haven't seen it, wait until the local art house is showing it and prepare to be blown away. DVD cannot do this movie justice.

Saw it at The Grove, giant super-high-quality presentation.

Boring. As. Fuck.

Absolutely gorgeous to look at, but incredibly plodding pace. I didn't expect (or want) a slambang chopsocky kung fu flick, but Hero just lays there and doesn't do anything for twenty minute stretches.

I do agree that watching it on DVD robs it of the visual impact, though. It really is a Big Screen Required film.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
icarus-daedelus said:
People need to list more obscure stuff. This thread doesn't work as a recommendation thread at all like I wanted it to because I've seen everything people have mentioned so far.
Yea, I'm kinda disappointed as well. It's kinda hard to find movies you haven't watched or intended to watch in this day and age.

Popstar

Gigglepoo said:
My favorite movie of the last 20 years (and ever) is Hero. Feel free to disagree with me. If you haven't seen it, wait until the local art house is showing it and prepare to be blown away. DVD cannot do this movie justice.
I prefer Ashes of Time over Hero for art house wuxia. Have you seen it?

Yixian

Banned
icarus-daedelus said:
Oh yeah. :D Empire Magazine said in their online Cannes coverage that it was one of those movies that was so good that people would be processing it for a long time... or something like that. And Empire almost never lets me down, so I can't f'ing wait.

Fuck, I really want tot see that. God damn.

Fargo is sublime.

Kevtones

I love talking to 'film students' about Crash.

Me: I loved Crash. Really interesting stuff.
Other: Yeah, it was good. Hardly worthy of a best picture nod.
Me: I didn't know it got nominated.
Other: What?
Me: I just didn't know. Are you sure it was?
Other: Uh yeah, it won best picture.
Me: I don't remember that.
Other: Yeah, it wasn't even that great. Anything with Sandra Bullock is automatically mediocre.
Me: Sandra Bullock?
Other: Yeah?
Me: What?
Other: The chick from Speed.
Me: I'm talking about the film revolving around people with a sexual fetish for scarred car crash victims.

Also, how about we extend it to 25 years so we can include my favorite film: Diner

7Th

My favorite film created in the last twenty years? Probably something with Christopher Doyle's cinematography not called 2046 or Lady in the Water... maybe Last Life in the Universe.

Snaku

Banned
Hell, if Fellowship of the Ring is considered good enough to enter this discussion, then I gotta throw Stardust in here too.

4xl2cqv.jpg

Gigglepoo

Popstar said:

I was going to say, "No, but I'm officially intrigued." Then I looked it up on IMDB and saw:

Tony Leung Chiu Wai ... Blind Swordsman

I love Tony Leung. He was amazing in Hero and absolutely perfect in Infernal Affairs. I refuse to see The Departed after seeing his expert work in the original. I will see within a week and give you my feelings.

J2 Cool

TJ Bennett said:
FellowshipOfTheRing_poster.jpg

Theatrical Version

I much prefer the extended for Fellowship. I thought it was pretty overrated when it came out, but the added footage really makes it work for me. The extra time spent in The Shire was beautiful.

JayDubya

Banned
TJ Bennett said:
Theatrical Version

I'd go with Extended Cut, and yes.

Snaku said:
Hell, if Fellowship of the Ring is considered good enough to enter this discussion, then I gotta throw Stardust in here too.

Stardust is a decent / good fantasy movie. Fellowship is the best fantasy movie ever made unless you call Star Wars fantasy. No contest.

Snaku

Banned
JayDubya said:
Stardust is a decent / good fantasy movie. Fellowship is the best fantasy movie ever made unless you call Star Wars fantasy. No contest.

Fellowship is fantastic no doubt, but I enjoyed Stardust a great deal more.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Kevtones said:
I love talking to 'film students' about Crash.

Me: I loved Crash. Really interesting stuff.
Other: Yeah, it was good. Hardly worthy of a best picture nod.
Me: I didn't know it got nominated.
Me: I just didn't know. Are you sure it was?
Other: Uh yeah, it won best picture.
Me: I don't remember that.
Other: Yeah, it wasn't even that great. Anything with Sandra Bullock is automatically mediocre.
Me: Sandra Bullock?
Other: Yeah?
Me: What?
Other: The chick from Speed.
Me: I'm talking about the film revolving around people with a sexual fetish for scarred car crash victims.
Thanks to that shitty movie I now have to specify which one I'm talking about every fucking time. And since I can't contain my absolute distaste for the Paul Haggis one, the conversation instantly derails into explaining why it sucks ass instead of talking about Cronenberg's cinematic genius.

J2 Cool said:
I much prefer the extended for Fellowship. I thought it was pretty overrated when it came out, but the added footage really makes it work for me. The extra time spent in The Shire was beautiful.

Yup, agreed. The extended version of Fellowship is my favorite fantasy movie ever.

Kevtones

Dan said:
Thanks to that shitty movie I now have to specify which one I'm talking about every fucking time. And since I can't contain my absolute distaste for the Paul Haggis one, the conversation instantly derails into explaining why it sucks ass instead of talking about Cronenberg's cinematic genius.

The funny part is when you mention Cronenberg, and they say, oh 'The History of Violence guy' like they're familiar with his work.

Gigglepoo

Dan said:

On of my favorite movies is Kicking and Screaming.... the one without soccer. I hate that conversation.

Popstar

Gigglepoo said:
I was going to say, "No, but I'm officially intrigued." Then I looked it up on IMDB and saw:

Tony Leung Chiu Wai ... Blind Swordsman

I love Tony Leung. He was amazing in Hero and absolutely perfect in Infernal Affairs. I refuse to see The Departed after seeing his expert work in the original. I will see within a week and give you my feelings.
Tony Leung is only a bit player in it. The main character is played by the sadly gone Leslie Cheung.

To the OP, the answer is no.

Great thread. Man, I've been kickin' around the idea of creating this thread forever. Unforgiven is one of the few movies that I think I could just watch over and over. I own it yet every time it's on TV I always watch it without fail. I hate delcaring things like "favorite" but it just might be.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Dan said:
I think AI is far and away Spielberg's best work after ET. I may, may even consider going so far as saying it's his masterpiece, but some of his early films would be very strong rivals (ET, Close Encounters, Raiders and Jaws). The only real problems I have with it are Robin Williams and Chris Rock's voice work cameos. Yikes, those were misguided.

I love you. AI seriously does not get the respect it deserves.

Iamthegamer said:
Yea, I'm kinda disappointed as well. It's kinda hard to find movies you haven't watched or intended to watch in this day and age.

Well, my favorite movie of all time is Ashes of Time, but I believe that was 1994. Go watch it anyways, especially you In the Mood for Love freaks. It's Wong Kar Wai.

Popstar said:

This is what happens when you don't pay attention. You fail to realize Popstar's genius.

Popstar

Skiptastic said:
Well, my favorite movie of all time is Ashes of Time
I though I was the only one. Not that it isn't a great movie, but it's not to everyone's taste.

Have you seen The Eagle Shooting Heroes? Based on the same story, much of the same cast although not necessarily in the same roles, filmed around the same time by WKW's production company and done as a comedy? Although it's not a direct parody of WKW's style the way that A Chinese Odyssey 2002 is (complete with slow-motion shots of Tony Leung with voiceover and the music from Ashes of Time).

demon said:
Memento is so fucking overrated stop mentioning it, people. Good movie, sure, but more gimmicky than genius.

OOOOH ITS LIKE A REAL MOVIE, BUT BACKWARDS!

...You're the only person I've met that also thinks that about Memento! Thank god there are other people who are annoyed with the jizzfest surrounding this movie.

Has The Truman Show been mentioned?

If the category is, 'The Best Mainstream Hollywood Movie Of The Last 20 Years,' it should have a shot!

Are you fuckin kiddin me? House of Something and Fog? Unwatchable, pretentious, fake, predictable, uninspired, insipid, platitudinous garbage.

Tabris

perryfarrell said:
Are you fuckin kiddin me? House of Something and Fog? Unwatchable, pretentious, fake, predictable, uninspired, insipid, platitudinous garbage.

Tell me how you really feel

Mar

Unforgiven is an incredible film. I've seen it many times and it is in my books, the best western ever created. I love many of the westerns Clint is in, especially The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. But Unforgiven just edges it out because the story is on another level.

As for my favourite film of the last 20 years:

session9.jpg

PhoenixDark said:
Seems like Goodfellas or Pulp Fiction should be noted as the best films of the 90s, or at least higher on the list than Unforgiven

If this post were a transvestite, I would make passionite love to him. But otherwise, I just have to completely agree with this awesome sentence.

I don't know, I'll just cop out and pick a genre I enjoy like martial arts and choose genre best instead, and pick Drunken Master 2 aka The Legend of Drunken Master in the US.

It's hands down the greatest kung fu movie ever made. The way the action and fights just build up to the end getting more and more ridiculously complex...just...good lord at the final fight sequence...it leaves you reeling and exhausted, pure action brilliance.

Jackie Chan is a motherf***ing machine!!

NZer

My favs:

Fight Club
Adaptation
Eternal Sunshine
Groundhog Day
The Shawshank Redemption
The Silence of the Lambs

I know Ebert didn't care for Fight Club or The Usual Suspects, but he was just fucking wrong - they were both fantastic (he's usually a good reviewer IMO, tho, if a bit lenient)

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
BelligerentOC said:
Maybe The Departed, Goodfellas, or Training Day.... No they dont, Unforgiven blew me away the first time I saw it, pure godliness.... Clint is the man

wow I came in to say Goodfellas... I am really into mafia/gangster movie/dramas thing and man, Goodfellas, is my top one, followed by Carlito's way and the Sopranos..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom