• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sessions thinks DOJ reports of racism in police is "anecdotal" & unscientific

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lime

Calling police officers the “frontline soldiers” in the fight against crime, Attorney General Jeff Sessions signaled Monday that the Trump administration’s Justice Department would take a new position in the Civil Rights Division’s approach to police abuse.

“We’ve got to go back and make sure that our police departments understand that they’re being supported, both by the Department of Justice as an ally, and by the American people,” Sessions told reporters at DOJ headquarters on Monday, in a preview of a speech he will give before a gathering of the nation’s attorneys general on Tuesday.

“I do believe the Department of Justice is the leading advocate for law enforcement in America, and I hope to be able to fulfill my responsibility in that regard,” Sessions said.

Asked by The Huffington Post whether he had read the Civil Rights Division’s investigative reports on the police departments in Chicago and Ferguson, Missouri, Sessions conceded he had not. But, he said, he didn’t think they were necessarily reliable.

“I have not read those reports, frankly. We’ve had summaries of them, and some of it was pretty anecdotal, and not so scientifically based,” Sessions said.

A DOJ report released in the final days of the Obama administration, based on an investigation that spanned nearly 14 months, detailed troubling patterns of unconstitutional conduct within the Chicago Police Department.

In Ferguson, much of the reporting was based upon the city’s very own reports, and indicated widespread abuse of constitutional rights of citizens.

Sessions said Monday he had “not made a decision” about how the DOJ would proceed in the Chicago case, but told reporters he was “really worried” about “the surge in murders” in the city. He was also troubled by the drop in the numbers of stop-and-frisk stops in Chicago, he said.

Sessions’ position echoed the view he expressed throughout his nomination, when he indicated he subscribed to the “bad apples” view of policing, which holds that police abuse is not systemic in certain departments but the fault of individual rogue actors. Sessions said during his confirmation hearing that it was a “difficult thing” for a city to face allegations they had systemically violated the civil rights of citizens.

“We’ve got to understand that police are the frontline soldiers in the effort to keep the crime under control, along with sheriffs’ deputies,” Sessions said on Monday. “Many departments are not doing well in terms of morale, in terms of following good policies.”

“Sometimes local police departments really step up and do a great job. It’s almost disrespectful [to] them for the feds to go in and try to take it over,” Sessions said in response to a question from The Huffington Post.

Sessions also said the nation had “gotten a little overconfident” about public safety and it affected how police responded to violence.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jeff-sessions-doj-police_us_58b4a2eae4b060480e0b1ce6?

Stay safe everyone.

caliph95

It's not like Jeff Sessions has a dodgy history in civil rights anyway. Love that he didn't even read the reports

WedgeX

Banned
“Sometimes local police departments really step up and do a great job. It’s almost disrespectful [to] them for the feds to go in and try to take it over,” Sessions said in response to a question from The Huffington Post.

This is shit that every KKK connected politician going back to the end of the Civil War has said always.

Stay safe, fellow Americans.

Zubz

Banned
I knew police were going to get worse under Trump, but with Sessions here the shred of accountability they had is gone.

Sessions goes if Trump goes, right? What are the odds anyone in the succession plan would keep this racist bastard? I know Scuse is the only non-Republican but I don't know enough about him.

Zubz

Banned
My dream is the smoking gun connection between Russia and Trump being Jeff Sessions. It would be glorious in so many ways.

I'm hoping it's a good chunk of the 45 cabal; the more of them that are tried for treason, the safer we are as a nation.

My dream is the smoking gun connection between Russia and Trump being Jeff Sessions. It would be glorious in so many ways.
Based on the leaks he personally brought several of the conduits to Russia into the campaign. I wish that I had any faith that the investigation is actually going to go somewhere. It won't as long as Republicans hold Congress.

Based on the leaks he personally brought several of the conduits to Russia into the campaign. I wish that I had any faith that the investigation is actually going to go somewhere. It won't as long as Republicans hold Congress.

Yep, the best part is that there is absolutely no way the GOP could escape culpability if Sessions was involved. It would sully the party for the rest of time.

If I was an investigative reporter Sessions is who I would focus on.

Boney

Banned
Frontline soldiers? Jesus Christ

And I have not read the reports is said without an ink of embarrassment

Really dreading when (yeah, when, unfortunately) the next police abuse story erupts. All this administration is going to do is immediately send in the guard to snuff out the protests and cops will just keep getting away with it.

well shit, I guess that's it! pack it up the American Police don't have any race issues, especially if you are white and/or don't break the law I guess

/s

what a joke

"bad apples" in police forces will now be further ensconced in a butter-soft cocoon of white supremecy. Even the "good cops" will be incentivized to ignore bad actors, because the bad actors' actions are being supported by the Feds.

Jeff 'Angry Imp' Sessions III, now has major control over the levers of Justice in America. Dog help us all.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Jeff Sessions, man of many talents, and leading expert on scientific methodology

I mean, this is why you're not supposed to invite a vampire into your home

Link

The Autumn Wind
This is very telling about the mans mentality regarding policing. And how he views citizens.
to_punish_and_enslave1.jpg

ZOONAMI

“I have not read those reports, frankly. We’ve had summaries of them, and some of it was pretty anecdotal, and not so scientifically based,” Sessions said.

smh what in the fuck is wrong with these people. Guess he and trump fell off the same tree.

So, I'm not going to read the reports on the racist policing going on in Chicago and Ferguson, but I'm going to assume that this second hand summary is not scientifically valid?

FUCK

I almost want to spam his email with hard copies of the PDF.

ZOONAMI

So, I'm not going to read the reports on the racist policing going on in Chicago and Ferguson, but I'm going to assume that this second hand summary is not scientifically valid?

FUCK

I almost want to spam his email with hard copies of the PDF.

Do it. Subject line: please actually read the reports you are making sweeping conclusions on

Instro

If you actually believe it's just a "bad apple" problem, then let's start by making sure those bad apples are actually getting punished for their crimes. Except they won't.

Media

It sure is a difficult thing to face allegations of civil rights abuse! That's so rough. Fuck those people for accusing the poor innocent officers of overstepping. It's not like civil rights abuse is as big a deal as being accused of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom