• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sessions thinks DOJ reports of racism in police is "anecdotal" & unscientific

Status
Not open for further replies.
to_punish_and_enslave1.jpg

WHAT? how dare you post that! I'd spent a great deal of effort forgoting about the Transformers movies

Dynomutt

OK...Niggas getting shot point blank left and right for doing shit we suppose to do but it's anecdotal? Fuck that. That's just ridiculous why say anything at all.

It's like there's a goal to undermine any good established no matter the consequences.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Systematic racism and cop abuse = a few bad apples.

A few bad apples/citizens in cities = stop and frisk every black and latino in sight.

Sessions’ position echoed the view he expressed throughout his nomination, when he indicated he subscribed to the “bad apples” view of policing, which holds that police abuse is not systemic in certain departments but the fault of individual rogue actors. Sessions said during his confirmation hearing that it was a “difficult thing” for a city to face allegations they had systemically violated the civil rights of citizens.

OK, sure. Let's say that it is bad apples, and let's go ahead and tell that to Freddie Gray's family.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Sessions said during his confirmation hearing that it was a “difficult thing” for a city to face allegations they had systemically violated the civil rights of citizens.
F U C K O U T T A H E R E

mnannola

”I have not read those reports, frankly. We've had summaries of them, and some of it was pretty anecdotal, and not so scientifically based,"

Oh now he is Mr. Science? I'm sure he is a huge global warming believer then based on all the scientific evidence, right?

EDIT: Here is what he said in 2015 on climate change

Here's Sessions in a 2015 hearing questioning Environmental Protection Agency's Gina McCarthy: ”Carbon pollution is CO2, and that's really not a pollutant; that's a plant food, and it doesn't harm anybody except that it might include temperature increases."

Can someone give this guy a nice big dose of CO2?

It's like there's a goal to undermine any good established no matter the consequences.

You think people marching for police reform is viewed as a "good" by Sessions? Look at his track record. None of this should surprise anyone and he knows most of the populace is apathetic to these issues.

Shit is gonna get BAD for POC and private prisons are about to eat. :|

Derwind

Days like today I remember that I'm pretty lucky living here in Canada.

This is what systematic racism looks like. This shit right here.

Stop and frisk authority is granted at the city level right? Or have certain states made that permissible across the entire state?

Jon Armdog

He didn't even fucking read them? He read summaries. I really hate this trend of it being okay not to explore details of issues. I guess it's Trumpian? Inspired by our leader who hates anything more complicated than a tweet.

ICO_SotC

This conforms to the 5-4 Supreme Court decision throwing out the Voting Rights act, where John Roberts, writing for the majority, declared systemic racism a thing of the past, and even said it was insulting to the individual states themselves suggest that it even existed.

This of course led to 5 states targeting minorities and their voting rights becuase of systemic racism.

Fuck Sessions, and honestly and truly...fuck anyone who didn't vote bc Hillary didn't "100% represent them" or whatever. I hope your life for the next 4/8 years is filled with nothing but heartache and misery.

Arkeband

Banned
Pretty embarassing that he'd use the 'bad apples' excuse in a way that actually warps the meaning of the phrase.

Bad apples spoil the barrel, which means it is systemic.

Fuchsdh

Ugh. I hate the "bad apples" excuse here. Somehow that's turned by these guys into "so we don't need to do anything." How about getting rid of the damn bad apples? But then suddenly the rhetoric shifts to "we need to support our police."

Note, the "bad apples" tend to almost never receive any punishment.

Yep. It's just a way to minimize the problem for them and ignore it.

I don't think the police forces of this country are filled with unrepentant racists, but when you're leaving those bad apples around to continually harm the communities they are in, why would you not expect that stink to linger on everyone?

ICO_SotC

Also relevant:

http://www.npr.org/2017/02/27/517558469/justice-department-reverses-position-on-texas-voter-id-law-case

Yesterday the Session's Justice Department announced on reversal of a key position regarding Texas Voter ID laws. They announced that while they acknowledge that the Texas laws had a discriminatory effect on minorities, they are reversing the government's position that there was discriminatory internet when Republicans wrote the laws.

Now that they can no longer dispute they have been passing bigoted voting laws, The Republican philosophy seems to be that "Yes, Republican laws keep resulting in discrimination, but you can't prove we intended to discriminate. It's just a bizarre coincidence that Republican passed laws keep unfairly targeting minority over and over and over again."

They are, through the law, declaring that intentional racism doesn't exist. It's pretty stunning.

Fuck Sessions, and honestly and truly...fuck anyone who didn't vote bc Hillary didn't "100% represent them" or whatever. I hope your life for the next 4/8 years is filled with nothing but heartache and misery.

My hardcore liberal friends who are/were considering jettisoning the democratic party for supporting Hillary don't exactly fall into the demographic that would be affected by these policies.

Also relevant:

http://www.npr.org/2017/02/27/517558469/justice-department-reverses-position-on-texas-voter-id-law-case

Yesterday the Session's Justice Department announced on reversal on a key position regarding Texas Voter ID laws. They announced that while they acknowledge that the Texas laws had a discriminatory effect on minorities, they are reversing the government's position that there was discriminatory internet when Republicans wrote the laws.

Now that they can no longer dispute they have been passing bigoted voting laws, The Republican philosophy seems to be that "Yes, Republican laws keep resulting in discrimination, but you can't prove we intended to discriminate. It's just a bizarre coincidence that Republican passed laws keep unfairly targeting minority over and over and over again."

They are, through the law, declaring that intentional racism doesn't exist. It's pretty stunning.

This mirrors the language of the original McCleskey v. Kemp ruling. You can legally make overtly racist laws and institutions...as long as you don't overtly state their purpose of being racist.

It's the only reason the North Carolina laws were struck down.

C'mon, guys, you all know what they say about a few bad apples: don't ask why there's so many, lest you offend the good, upstanding ones!

Ugh.

If true, he's squeezing this in at the last possible minute like a college student with an essay due the next day. Shows the man's priorities.

Days like today I remember that I'm pretty lucky living here in Canada.
We're no angels either, unfortunately, especially to the aboriginal community. =/

Yup, exactly. People, especially in "swing states," who voted for Stein or Johnson in "protest" could only do so because they're in a position of privilege. Plus, some states that were supposedly more or less under lock for Hillary went to Trump.

Millions -- hell, even billions of people are being affected by this abomination of an administration. And every vote for Stein or Johnson is one that didn't get tallied in the popular vote against Trump. Yes, First Past the Post is a flawed, flawed system. But until it's fixed in your country, you owe it to your fellow man not to let people like Trump in power because TYT shouted how corrupt she is (and then took zero blame when it affected the outcome.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom