• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seth Killian joins Sony Santa Monica to work on All Star Battle Royale

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Lead designer?

On a game that's shipping this soon?

What is going on over there?

because it's most likely for other games with Santa Monica.

God of War the fighting game
God of War X Marvel
God of War 2 Turbo
God of War Alpha
God of War Mythologies: Sub-Kratos

Tobe

People need to remember that balancing a fighting game is done always at the end. when everything is done you can always change the effects of the moves in play ie: frame advantage, damage, etc. it's no like the animation is gonna change.

KAL2006

Banned
Hopefully the next PS Battle All Stars uses 2D fighters like King of Fighters and Street Fighter as a template instead of Smash Bros.

I never got the appeal of Smash as a serious fighting game. No matter how much you try to balance or legitimize a game like this, it's still dopey. But SKill is greatness, and this looks like a move upwards. Glad for him.

Phenomic

Capcom betrays Sony, Capcom employees betray Capcom to go to Sony. This some Jurassic Park shit right here

What was this in reference towards? I don't recall Capcom betraying Sony. Only thing that comes to mind was moving Resident Evil to Nintendo.

SenEXunk

Banned
GTFO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :O

Just the other day I was joking around that Seth will join SuperBot and now its a reality. I love Seth.

KevinCow

Banned
In a smash type party fighter, I wouldn't say it was a huge concern but Superbot seems to want more so I'm definitely interested.

How was it ever not a huge concern? It was an issue in Melee when characters like Fox, Falco, and Marth tended to be better than the rest of the cast, and it was an issue in Brawl when Metaknight was kinda overpowered while someone like Ganondorf was basically useless.

When you have a large cast of different characters with varied play styles, you don't want players to feel like they can only use a handful of them if they want to compete.

galvatron

Awesome! Cl0ckwork is also there as a community manager, so I expect some next level PR demos from those two.

Also, I guess Seth confirmed for Evo to hype the new project?

Good news, all around!

Yes. Some Level 3 Super seems broken (Big Daddy automatically kills everyone on screen I believe) according to people that played it.

Parappa does that, and it's not exactly unbalanced since different characters build AP faster than others. Parappa is a guaranteed 3 kill super at level 3, but that's it. Other characters have the potential to get as much as 5-6 supers at level 3 if they are good, so there is a tradeoff there.

My opinion is that All-stars needs at least 20 characters. There's not been a whole lot announced yet, I wonder how many they are saving.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
What has Seth Killian done at Capcom, in the process of fighting game development that makes his a big deal? Dude has always been a mouth piece (and a bad one at that) to me.

Chavelo

Happy for Seth. But i think he was hired to add some "street cred" to the game, as well as to promote it for Evo.

I don't know how you got that message out from this move. To me, it sounds like he will keep on working with SuperBot on a line of fighting games exclusive to Sony consoles for the next few years.

What has Seth Killian done at Capcom, in the process of fighting game development that makes his a big deal? Dude has always been a mouth piece (and a bad one at that) to me.

Wrong person. You're thinking about Sven. Again...

Articles he wrote back in the day about fighting game mechanics and mentality:

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/controlling-space.1816/
http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?forums/domination-101.98/

And a video of him breaking down a fight with Daigo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56r_Zx2wEOo

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Awesome news. So I take it he joined the team fairly recently then. I wonder how much influence he will have on actual content in the game (if any), and not just character balancing.

Christian Svensson is just a mouthpiece.

Outside of community relations, S-Kill has actually made tangible contribution to the development of multiple fighting games. Dude's knowledge of techniques and mechanics is on point.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Been the West's voice of reason to the Japanese and has contributed to and given suggestions to the devs of SF4, MvC3 and SFxTK. He told them to nerf Vanilla Phoenix before she got out of the gate, pushed for Arthurs inclusion, etc.

Also if he's a bad mouth piece... I don't know what a good one looks like.

Belenos

Banned
I think this reaffirms to me that Superbot has been created for more than just PABR. I think we will see a new fighting game ip from them after they finish their current one

New fighting game IP? Now that's something I'd be interested in. I hope this game does well so that can happen.

Great news, by the way. S-Kill is the best.

galvatron

Just the fact that he suggested 2-d hit boxes for SF4 instead of conventional 3-D hit detection and got them to listen means he did a lot of good for the game's design...though, yeah, I wonder about where the rubber meets the road in terms of him translating his ability to dissect fighting games into the ability to guide their creation.

He'll be better than most, I'd suspect, but I've always been biased towards having serious players involved in helping to create a game in their preferred genre.

Top Bottom