• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shōgun - Official Trailer | Hiroyuki Sanada, Cosmo Jarvis, Anna Sawai | FX

Little Mac

Gold Member
Love It Wow GIF by Wrexham AFC

Excellent trailer.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Oh nice, a new adaptation of James Clavell's novel. It's a classic, well worth reading.

Some interesting background on the novel:

In addition to becoming a best-seller, with more than six million copies of the novel in 14 hardcover and 38 paperback printings by 1980, Shōgun had great impact on westerners' knowledge of, and interest in, Japanese history and culture. The editor of Learning from Shōgun: Japanese History and Western Fantasy (1980) estimated that 20 to 50% of all students in American college-level courses about Japan had read the novel. He described the book as "a virtual encyclopedia of Japanese history and culture; somewhere among those half-million words, one can find a brief description of virtually everything one wanted to know about Japan", and stated that "In sheer quantity, Shōgun has probably conveyed more information about Japan to more people than all the combined writings of scholars, journalists, and novelists since the Pacific War".[4] The author of James Clavell: A Critical Companion calls the novel "one of the most effective depictions of cross-cultural encounters ever written", and "Clavell's finest effort".[5]

Clavell said that Shōgun "is B.C. and A.D. It made me. I became a brand name, like Heinz Baked Beans".[6] He reported that the ruler of a Middle Eastern petrostate offered him a full oil tanker for a novel that would do for his country what Shōgun did for Japan.[7]

Melon Husk

The original tv series did not age well - got it on bluray some two years ago because of the book. There were some good bits but it was slow, slow, slow.

This one looks much better.

YukiOnna

Looks nice. I don't have much interest in tv, but it's close to what I like. Off putting they speak English though, I'm more use to Nioh's worldview of William Adams

Hell yeah. I watched the original mini series with my mom as a kid. I was so into it, that I picked up the novel. At 1100+ pages, I'd never tackled anything near that big at that age, but man did I devour it.

Tams

This looks incredible.

It does show how poor a lot of Japanese TV and cinema is though. I can't think of a single Japanese show or film that comes even close to the quality this trailer alone shows.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Wheeeew, all the moneys went into that one, looks great visually.

Been a lloooooong stretch since I've read Shogun or seen the OG miniseries, but hopefully this is the entire book adapted, not just a part 1 or whatever. We need more Mike Flanagan style "this is all you are gonna get" miniseries (maybe they just code it as 'limited series' now?).

Muffdraul

The mini series premiered when I was in the 6th grade, it was such a huge deal. Seeing a samurai beheading a peasant during primetime was the talk of the schoolyard for a week. Years later I found my dad's copy of the book and read it. Will def watch this new version.

twilo99

The book is incredible so there is no way the movie won’t be a let down but I’ll watch it..

I just hope they say “so sorry” as much as they did it in the book

sees a white guy in japanese attire and a katana...
i guess they are not going for historical accuracy??

this is set during the sengoku period right? Aren't foreigners are mostly restricted to certain ports like nagasaki and the caucasians are mainly missionaries and dutch traders??

Hiroyuki Sanada is hollywood's token japanese guy because he checks all the boxes. Fluent in both english and japanese and lives in the states.

I hope Anna Sawai is less annoying in this than she was in Monarch: Legacy of Monsters

Come to think of it I wonder if they will make her gay in this one too

Last edited:

Rival

Gold Member
I got to watch this series on screener access. It’s incredible. Though you best be ok with subtitles.

SJRB

Gold Member
Does FX dump the entire show online or do they usually feed-drip one episode per week?

jason10mm

Gold Member
How do I watch FX? Addon via Amazon, its own thing, or is it on max or something?

Anything else on fx worth watching? Is that where FROM aired? Or that War of the World's remake? I've lost track of all these shows.

near

Gold Member
How do I watch FX? Addon via Amazon, its own thing, or is it on max or something?

Anything else on fx worth watching? Is that where FROM aired? Or that War of the World's remake? I've lost track of all these shows.

Content distribution is getting confusing for me. But I know this will be streaming on Hulu in the states and Disney+ in UK and Ireland.

Top Bottom