• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shōgun - Official Trailer | Hiroyuki Sanada, Cosmo Jarvis, Anna Sawai | FX

What is it about the catholic vs protestant elements that you don't like?

the way the show does it feels too fake and central to me. Dont love acting writing and casting for those parts either. It all just adds up to feeling forced and out of place.

Have no problem with the actual history of the imperialist religions/countries.

DKehoe

the way the show does it feels too fake and central to me. Dont love acting writing and casting for those parts either. It all just adds up to feeling forced and out of place.

Too fake and central in what way? The Catholic/Protestant divide was a huge deal to Europeans then. And even putting the theological differences aside, for the Portuguese in Japan a protestant turning up in their super secret trading destination puts the value of that exclusivity in danger.

Hugare

I'm loving absolutely everything about this show

Best TV since House of the Dragon, for me. Even better than that in some places.

People speaking portuguese in english is just ... jarring. Specially since I speak portuguese.

They probably wouldnt be able to teach portuguese to the main leads, but but they should have thought on a better solution, imo.

Oberstein

Ah, here's an episode that lives up to the series' name: Show-gun. That's right, Blackthorne, show the Japanese the American way of life.
Second Amendment, hell yeah. Drop the katana, we're taking guns now. America Fuck Yeah!!

Well, all kidding aside, it was a good transitional episode. Fuji is finally developed, although I still prefer the 1980 version at this stage. There are some comedic elements that work well, and we find the patern of the Westerner discovering an alien world, and that's good because it actually works. They've gone all out on the cultural differences.

I wasn't, however, expecting such a deluge of hemoglobin at the end of the episode. They weren't shy on that part.

On the other hand, it's clearly Mariko in the dark with Blackthorne. And unfortunately I was expecting Anna Sawai's striptease in the hot spring, which is minus 2 points in the episode's final score.

DKehoe

Is this officially over now? I'm big fan of the book but want to wait until the series is over before I watch it.
Nah, the fourth episode was broadcast a couple days ago and it’s going to be ten episodes in total. The finale is being shown on 23rd April so you’re good to go after that.

Last edited:

Oberstein

Kudos to the CGI and effects team for that moment at the end of the episode. They clearly studied real life videos of it because that shot where it was happening in the background looked real.

It really impressed me too, how realistic it seemed.

The whole build-up around the dinner was so well done, and thanks to this series we discovered several talented Japanese actors.

The scene where John puts the stone back in place after the earthquake. Sogood.gif

Last edited:

Von Hugh

I just switched to a new 4K tv, and I can't help but notice the god awful fake film grain now. And the vignetting. Blah.

Trilobit

Really starting to like this show. Once you accept it for what it is you can just enjoy the ride. Excellent Japanese actors/actresses too. Mr Blue-contact-lenses has also grown on me. I just wish it had dinner scenes more akin to anime, I want to be forced to cook a bowl of noodles every time I watch one episode. 🍜

Tieno

Just saw episode 5. The show is so beautiful. I can't speak Japanese, but the rhythm Mariko speaks and interprets is so soothing and beautiful to listen to. It also helps that she's gorgeous in the face area too.

Glad to see Pete Peppers is doing breakdowns of the show. His analyses of the Foundation show was excellent.

Last edited:

Oberstein

Ep6. They did well with a slow episode that had no budget.

Ochiba is finally the anime character we've all been waiting for. And my boy Buntaro looks great with hair (that's why he became bitter after losing it).

maq7P2h.jpg

They often shoot in the same rooms and environments - a small disappointment, by the way, for the brothel, which is the village rearranged in a hurry - but it's a great cinematography.

Liljagare

Shogun, the story was set around the year 1600 and it was based on real-life exploits involving various political and military clashes of the period in Japan. Fits well with what is going on in the show.

Have you seen the 1980's version of the Tv show?

LordOfChaos

Question from a non book reader. A lot of the times, there's a substantial difference between what's said and what Mariko actually translates. Is this on purpose? I get that she's probably fitting it into the cultural niceties of Japan such as how to address a superior, but I'm curious if this is an important point.

Tieno

Question from a non book reader. A lot of the times, there's a substantial difference between what's said and what Mariko actually translates. Is this on purpose? I get that she's probably fitting it into the cultural niceties of Japan such as how to address a superior, but I'm curious if this is an important point.
Whatever the answer, haven't read the book, but I really like it. It gives another layer to the conversation and makes it even more engaging.

Loving this show so far. Haven't read the book since high school but I'm definitely going to read it again once the show is over. Mariko & Toranaga are amazing.

LordOfChaos

Whatever the answer, haven't read the book, but I really like it. It gives another layer to the conversation and makes it even more engaging.

It was explained to me that it shows that she's not a professional translator, though proficient in both languages, and translation is a very difficult art even knowing both languages. This is a contrast from the professional translator who usually gets things right. Nice detail. And also the Japanifying things i.e the annoying English guy doesn't know how to ask things of superiors so she changes his bluntness.

Last edited:

Paltheos

I'm with GAF on this show. I watched the five episodes that were out with my friend over the weekend and we were both really impressed. Performances, costume and set design, writing - this show's really entertaining. Each episode is jam packed too. We were surprised at the start how long the episodes actually are because they felt longer.

Oberstein

Ep.7

The series does a marvelous job of cock-blocking the viewer. Every time the tension rises, you think there's going to be some action and... nothing at all, it falls back down only to rise up again, and so on. Once again, it's very well executed, with impeccable cinematography and so on.

In fact, it's a lot like season 1 of Game of Thrones, with a budget allocated to costumes and photography, and not a penny for fighting. As a result, the focus is elsewhere, and it's a quality series. On the other hand, once again, given the lack of budget, they shoot over and over again on the same sets.
The actor who plays Buntaro does a good job of acting to show that he's boiling on the inside, which is fun to see.

As for the end scene.
Torenaga's annoying kid dies in a pathetic way. It fits in well with the whole build-up around the lie of heroism.

Ep.7

The series does a marvelous job of cock-blocking the viewer. Every time the tension rises, you think there's going to be some action and... nothing at all, it falls back down only to rise up again, and so on. Once again, it's very well executed, with impeccable cinematography and so on.

In fact, it's a lot like season 1 of Game of Thrones, with a budget allocated to costumes and photography, and not a penny for fighting. As a result, the focus is elsewhere, and it's a quality series. On the other hand, once again, given the lack of budget, they shoot over and over again on the same sets.
The actor who plays Buntaro does a good job of acting to show that he's boiling on the inside, which is fun to see.

As for the end scene.
Torenaga's annoying kid dies in a pathetic way. It fits in well with the whole build-up around the lie of heroism.

I'm happy he's gone, but it was an incredibly dumb way to kill him off lol.

Episode 7 was another banger. I had a good laugh when:

Blackthorne was just minding his own business, mouth agape and staring off in the distance at his ship, and then Yasuhige(?) comes over to fuck with him, and Blackthorne's like "guess this is happening today."

And then fucking Buntaro(?) runs out of the bushes like Vegeta from DBZ Abdridged going "mine, mine, mine" to nearly kill him out of nowhere lol.

And then both Yasuhige and Buntaro just leave, after randomly trolling Blackthorne, when he was literally just standing there doing nothing. 😂

Trilobit

It's Always Sunny In Kyoto

i6sqQGz.png

I can't have been the only one(Episode 8)?

Edit: I made some research and found that Rob McElhenney also watches this show:

QnuXUWF.png

Apparently it isn't Rob in a cameo, but Hitoshi Masaki from Japan. I now want a movie with them both, doesn't matter what the story is!

3ufAGvm.png

Last edited:

Jenov

Binge watched this show the last few days on Hulu. It’s amazing. I compare it to Blacksails (another historical based masterpiece). I was really disappointed to reach episode 8 and realize that the show isn’t done yet. Stuck on weekly waits now 🥲

Top Bottom