• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Eternals Kickstarter Relaunched

Giolon

I kind of want to give this thing $20 just help towards being able to see what will happen if it ends up getting funded. I mean, I've blown $20 on stupider things before. The Epic Meltdown (pun semi-intended) could be the greatest thing ever. It's also possible that it comes out and is actually pretty good.

SMZC

Er... how is it safe to assume they will have a near-finished game when they run out of money? How is it safe to assume that any publisher would take their word when they say "the project is almost done, we just need a little more money to finish it!" given how inaccurate/common that situation is in this industry in combination with Silicon Knight's past? They are now promising a larger game for less money, and they're operating out of Canada where 750k doesn't go very far for game developer salaries. Even if they just remade Eternal Darkness, gameplay and all, for 2013 it would cost more than 750k to make.

Combine that with the fact that this is a developer with a shady past and fairly convincing ex-employee accounts of squandering tens of millions of dollars on their previous projects and it becomes even less likely that this 750k will result in anything approaching a finished game.

I've contributed to a dozen Kickstarters so far and felt fairly comfortable about the chances of those Kickstarters resulting in something approaching what was promised in the original pledge, but contributing to this project seems akin to burning your money.

It's relatively safe to assume so.

These guys want to work in the videogame industry. They create videogames, it's what they do and what they have been doing for a lot of years. They're already having difficulties getting publishers to make deals with them; now they are resorting to what is pretty much their last opportunity, that is, having the public fund their own games. They are not going to blow the last chance that they have at survival in this industry (let alone do something retarded like running away with all the money). At the very least we can be pretty confident that they have the right intentions when it comes to the making of this videogame (just to shoot down all those inflammatory and completely unreasonable comments like them running away with the money or using it for the bail of the guy who got arrested recently).

The most you can say is that, even though they have the right intentions, their track record shows that they are not to be trusted when it comes to actually going through with said intentions. And that's fair. But the fact that this is (again) their last chance at survival in this industry means that these guys are being extremely careful with what they are doing. You can be sure that they planned this $750,000 goal down to the last penny, and that they are confident in their ability to make this game with said amount of money. If they don't, it's more likely that they will release the game with a few bugs here and there or with a couple of chapters less than what they had initially planned, rather than scrapping the whole thing and taking our money.

Is it possible that this is some sort of scam? Could they have, for example, reduced their goal for kickstarter just to get some money (*any* money), use said money to make the barebones of the game, and then try to make a deal with a publisher to allow them to finish the game? Sure. Anything is possible. But these guys are not going to shoot themselves in the foot. They know that if they try to scam their fanbase they are royally screwed. No one trusts them as it is, especially publishers; but to screw in such a way the one group of people that can give you one last shot in this industry would truly be the equivalent to putting the last nail in your coffin. They are just not going to do that.

Regarding why they would be able to make a bigger game now with less money than what they were initially asking for a single episode, they already explained that they found some sort of funding somewhere else, just not enough to make the whole game.

Zemm

How much did the first (and second?) Kickstarter raise in the first 24 hours? This one seems to have started off better but I know the donations dry up very quickly a couple of days in.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's at $75k. I don't know how good that is considering the hefty total, but it's doing much, much better than the first. I think it took them several days to reach that $75k, and they made it to like twice that before cancelling it.

It's at $75k. I don't know how good that is considering the hefty total, but it's doing much, much better than the first. I think it took them several days to reach that $75k, and they made it to like twice that before cancelling it.

Well, I hope the game gets funded, but I dont play horror games, the only reason I want to see it is too see if the wii can run the cryengine 3.

guek

Banned

From what I've seen, most kickstarters tend to ramp up at first, dip in the middle, and then have big pushes in the end. Some just bulldoze through their funding goal immediately and then keep amassing funds until most of their stretch goals are met but those are fairly uncommon.

Lothar

Banned
So if we pledge $20, we get the game when it comes out for free?

How do they expect to make money from the game like that?

FACE

Banned

Most successful big projects made at least 200k on the first day.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I really hope this game gets made. The industry is better with Dyack making games. Even if they aren't all good. Blood Omen was fantastic. Eternal Darkness was good. I really like the direction this project is hinting at.

Gbraga

Got home and watched the kickstarter video.

You know what? That sounds really fucking cool, backed.

EDIT: October 2014 is pretty far away though >_<

Hiltz

I'm willing to donate again, but I feel like this project is dead in the water. Precursor likely won't even get to $350k. It's sad when these cool new projects get revealed, but end up becoming the early vaporware of a new generation.

catabarez

What?

Assuming they don't overbudget the game is paid for and all they have to do is deliver the product. The backers get it for free and any money they make selling it to other people is profit.

iosef

I'm in at $50. Didn't back it the first time but full game vs. episodes won me over.

I'm pessimistic that I'll actually play this game, ever, but I want a sequel badly enough that it's worth a shot.

D-e-f-

Banned
It shows how little I understand about game development, but how can something of the magnitude of the gameplay trailer be done with 750.000 $?
Anyway, Klára is rather cute, so I will probably back it when there are more infos released in the future.

Additional outside funding + so far paying out of their own pockets + CryEngine 3.

You need money to pay for people's salaries, that is all. They could've made that Killzone 4 reveal demo with that money. But that would then also be all they could make because making more takes more time which means more paychecks for employees which is why they need extra funds!

You're new to this whole crowdfunding thing, aren't you?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Closer. But no cigar from me. I just don't trust Dyack with money upfront. Will buy if it turns out alright, and they don't spend all their money on making another game. Or hookers and blow

Shiggy

How is this working out? At first, they wanted 1.5 mio for a single episode. Now they want 0.75 mio for a whole game? Or does this only include the first episode - without mentioning that it's going to be episodic?

D-e-f-

Banned
How is this working out? At first, they wanted 1.5 mio for a single episode. Now they want 0.75 mio for a whole game? Or does this only include the first episode - without mentioning that it's going to be episodic?

Read my previous post on this page.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Our Kickstarter goal is at its current amount due to receiving external funding from private sources as well as investing our own money into the project. We can state with confidence that by successfully reaching our Kickstarter goal of $750,000, Shadow of the Eternals can become a reality. This money will aid us in hiring more people and resources involved in the production of the game.

Necrovex

I feel like this KS will be like the Amirong KS. If it makes the goal, it will happen right at the very end and barely.

D-e-f-

Banned
I'd like to know how much of a stretch goal PS4 is before backing.

Why not back now and simply cancel shortly before the kickstarter closes if it they don't reveal it. This will increase your chances of finding out greatly. You lose nothing this way.

Geedorah

Kickstarter doesn't charge your card right away, right? I never bothered to check in the past.

Nope, charges go through at the close of the campaign. You can even withdraw your pledge any time before the campaign ends (iirc, this has actually caused several projects to not meet their minimums last minute!)

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I can't help but back these things. I just like the idea of helping fund projects that cannot get mass market funding from soulless publishers. At the end of the day more games are a good thing and 20 bucks is a tiny price to pay for that.

joesiv

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/617502838/shadow-of-the-eternals-0

Seems they are determined to make this game. They are asking for less money this time, and producing a full game. And now also include the Ps4 as a stretch goal for hitting... well it doesn't say. So just trust them on that.

Will you support it, this time?
Interesting, Dyak isn't mentioned anywhere in the kickstarter anymore?

I'm kind of intrigued, but I don't really like the aesthetics of the game. If there is more stuff like the building collapsing, it might intrigue me more, that was the only interesting part of that they've showed to me, the rest is very generic.

D-e-f-

Banned
storafötter;72989436 said:
Even if I do not trust Dyack I still want something close to Eternal Darkness so might back this midway.

He's not handling any business, he's now solely a creative guy. No reason not to "trust" him, really.

I'm about to jump in, I don't want to miss the early supporter pledge.

Madrugador actually means early bird in spanish, I have a reputation to maintain.

I feel like this KS will be like the Armikrog KS. If it makes the goal, it will happen right at the very end and barely.

Don't remind me, that had a very slow middle to the campaign. Almost lost hope for seeing something like Neverhood again.

ixlO70ZkVIVcJ.gif

Top Bottom