• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shaming Rapists in private Facebook groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llyranor

Honestly not sure how I feel about this but there's a clear reason to be extra wary of false accusations here.

Because it's a private ring, there's no kind of transparency or accountability or oversight or anything, right? If you *are* falsely accused, you may never even know it's happened. There's likely no remedy possible. And I mean that beyond punishing the accusers or whatever, you won't be able to tell your side of the story or make a case that a story was wholly fabricated. And because the culture around this kind of thing is very strongly biased to believing accusers by design, it's hard to imagine even self-policing within the community.

Maybe the collateral damage and susceptibility to corruption are worth the benefit, but let's recognize there's obviously a trade-off here a "system" like this isn't downside-free.

If you never hear about it, it means it's not being widely spread publicly, so it will not affect your employment opportunities and so on. At most some women might keep their distance and not want to date you. If it's being spread publicly, that's when you have legal recourse for defamation.

But if someone really wants to tarnish your name and damage your reputation with a false accusation, would she really just bring you up in a private fb group? The false accusation is bad, but I don't see the private group as the problem specifically.

Snarky❤;245277361 said:
Did you guys miss the part of the article where she tried for two years to go through legal means and the law literally lied to her and said her medical records were destroyed when they weren't?

It's really awful. My best friend went through the whole system with just an attempted rape and could not get ANYWHERE. The cops constantly hounded her about "are you sure it was. Are you sure you didn't lead him on?" kind of shit. It's super infuriating.

Did you read anything I posted? I said that would be a great idea to let people know in your social circle, not a private facebook group. You never explicitly said you wanted a private group, but you made several posts advocating for it. So you only want to start one if it affects you, but don't want to start one until then? Why not start one now and let people know you have a place where people can get justice against rapists outside the law?

Are you being passive-aggressive and suggesting that Nepenthe doesn't really care about rape victims? I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt by assuming you're not so stupid as to seriously question why someone wouldn't be jumping at the chance to do something that plenty of people (you included) would demonize.

How's life on Earth 2?

Not even Bizarro World is that contradictory.

Nepenthe

Are you being passive-aggressive and suggesting that Nepenthe doesn't really care about rape victims?

Notice how I'm getting this kind of indirect grilling while all of the men here get to take advantage of the societal status quo and suggest to women "There's other ways to go about this!" while hardly being specific about what those other ways are.

Hmm.

Notice how I'm getting this kind of indirect grilling while all of the men here get to take advantage of the societal status quo and suggest to women "There's other ways to go about this!" while hardly being specific about what those other ways are.

Hmm.

To be fair a few of them suggested to do it the legal way. The way that has already failed these women.

Glass Rebel

What people aren't realizing or are straight up ignoring is that rape is incredibly difficult to prove since it's so much 'he says she says' and men are always at the disadvantage, pretty much guilty into proven innocent.

Stop spreading this shit you lying motherfucker.

edit: Where are you assholes crying about false accusations harming people's lives when your ilk spreads straight up misinformation like this?

And in other threads will scream Fuck Cops and Fuck the Justice system all day long. But when it's rape, nope, trust the system.

Or that actual methods with actual details and actions that are doing something aren't good enough, but nebulous "the courts need to do better" suggestions are somehow worth more merit. For all the good that does.

What people aren't realizing or are straight up ignoring is that rape is incredibly difficult to prove since it's so much 'he says she says' and men are always at the disadvantage, pretty much guilty into proven innocent.

image.php

gaiages

Banned

Dude please, learn to Google at least.

almost thought this was a local news story [Victoria, BC, Canada], because this precise thing just happened on facebook within my friend group.

two guys raped a girl we all know well, after 2 years of getting nowhere in the courts, she took to facebook to shame them publicly.

i think it's fucking awesome, and there's no doubt of what went down, it seems very clear cut in this case at least.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH

*deep breath, points at you*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Those reports are nice to have but overall not very helpful. 2-8% is a wide margin and the bigger picture of not having enough evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt for either guilty / not guilty is the issue. This includes proving a false accusation. Hell we just a topic were a black man was saved because there was clear video evidence of his innocence.

Media

Those reports are nice to have but overall not very helpful. 2-8% is a wide margin and the bigger picture of not having enough evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt for either guilty / not guilty is the issue. This includes proving a false accusation. Hell we just a topic were a black man was saved because there was clear video evidence of his innocence.

Keep in mind that 2-8% is also as reported by law enforcement, and could mean anything from she's lying, not enough evidence, or "she's lying"

And also, again, in that thread, it didn't prove his innocence, since consent can be revoke at any time before or during the act itself.

ApharmdX

Banned

So the problem with that stat is that the majority of rapes are unreported. 2-8% of cases being falsified is not of total rape incidents, but of reported rape incidents.

The stories of men falsely accused or even imprisoned for rape are horrifying (see Brian Banks case for example) but they are few in number compared to cases where rapists walk without punishment.

Glass Rebel

I thought we had a rule against this kind of vitriol. You can point out the posters' false claims without this kind of worthless insult what the hell

And you can miss me with this fake outrage and backseat modding. Those aren't just false claims, the poster is promoting a harmful narrative that leads to the shit that's being posted in this thread. It's a straight up lie and a malicious one at that.

What's with you guys just itching to jump to the defense of lying fucks and rape apologists? Jesus fucking Christ....

Are you being passive-aggressive and suggesting that Nepenthe doesn't really care about rape victims? I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt by assuming you're not so stupid as to seriously question why someone wouldn't be jumping at the chance to do something that plenty of people (you included) would demonize.

Not even Bizarro World is that contradictory.

Passive-aggressive? I thought it was obvious that is what I meant. If someone is arguing strongly for something and it would help the victim while punishing the criminal why wouldn't you proceed? I can understand the hesitation for sure, but to not got through with it is so much worse. If I thought something was the right thing to do, I wouldn't care what people on a videogame forum thought and would pursue it.

Anyway I don't want to post in this thread anymore. So let me drop this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom