• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shane MANGOD Bettenhausen Leaves Ignition Games

Phenomic

Best of luck to Shane for sure, but I do wonder what this means for Magical Drop 5. I hope that game is actually released.

john tv said:
I dunno what sprsk said, but I can exclusively reveal that Shane B is indeed joining 8-4 next week.

...to record a podcast.

The contract is sealed. I will take it!

Suzzopher

It's weird how when Shane is on Weekend Confirmed he is quite reserved, yet on 8-4 Play he is his old 1upYours/Retronauts Shane.

Best of luck to him. On a selfish note, I'd like him back in the gaming media side of things.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Dina said:
Reading this thread rekindles my hatred for the term Mangod.
1zw28vk.gif

And for double effect:

sztvsw-1.gif

Rlan

After a stint in the actual video game industry, and likely getting paid WAY more for the privileged than as a video game journalist, I highly doubt he'd make a return.

I don't think he has inspiration for making games himself either. He seemed to enjoy watching the development process.

voltron

JABEE said:
I wish he'd join Garnett at Shack News. Weekend Confirmed with Shane is awesome. Good luck Shane with whatever you're doing!

Pretty much this.

I like Weekend Confirmed but it just doesnt have that something something that 1upyours and GFWRadio had.

It needs one more personality to give it that spark. Both for opinions and for challenging Garnett. A Luke or a Shane would be ideal.

cj_iwakura

I wasn't getting ARF anyway, but Muramasa? I haven't bought an Ignition game since they botched that. A soulless localization that didn't even accurately translate the dialogue.

Rlan

At the very least Ignition has two more downloadable titles coming -- Mercury Hg and Magical Drop V. He mentioned that both will be $5, which you don't see often.

inner-G

Banned
He better not got to giantbomb!

That show has been going down the tubes. They never talk about Japanese games in an interesting manner, plus pickles and kinect do not a good podcast make.

sikkinixx

inner-G said:
He better not got to giantbomb!

That show has been going down the tubes. They never talk about Japanese games in an interesting manner, plus pickles and kinect do not a good podcast make.

Probably because Japanese games have dwindled in importance and influence in the past few years?

daycru

He provided me hours of free entertainment on 1UP Yours.

He was responsible for a couple of my favorite games being brought over to my country.

Good luck, Shane! Hope you've got something creative and kick ass lined up. Wherever you go instantly gets my attention.

inner-G

Banned
sikkinixx said:
Probably because Japanese games have dwindled in importance and influence in the past few years?
I don't quite think that's it. The indie games and crap that they talk about half the time are less relevant than Japanese games. They talk about Dirt and ignore GT. They are all about Kinect but ignore Move. They talk about MK but ignore others, etc. Their attitude twoards the East/MS sponsorship are pretty blatant.

StuBurns

Banned
inner-G said:
I don't quite think that's it. The indie games and crap that they talk about half the time are less relevant than Japanese games. They talk about Dirt and ignore GT. They are all about Kinect but ignore Move. They talk about MK but ignore others, etc. Their attitude twoards the East/MS sponsorship is pretty blatant.
Sure, sure.

Aaron

inner-G said:
I don't quite think that's it. The indie games and crap that they talk about half the time are less relevant than Japanese games. They talk about Dirt and ignore GT. They are all about Kinect but ignore Move. They talk about MK but ignore others, etc. Their attitude twoards the East/MS sponsorship are pretty blatant.
Wat? They had a lengthy quicklook on GT4. Also reviewed it. They had a big thing where they played every Move launch game, and have played most of the others since. They just had a TNT where they mostly played Street Fighter 3, and had a segment on Ultimate MC3 for their big live show. They've also been openly negative on Mortal Kombat lately for all its problems.

I don't know what you want, but I suspect you will only be happy when you learn to read Japanese and only visit Japanese gaming sites. You should probably start on that now.

And Shane should be head of SCEA, obviously.

It's crazy how many talented people worked at 1up/egm/gfw. It's great to see them working in different areas, but I kinda wish they would have made it big on the journalism side.

inner-G said:

Yeah, it's not like they've been pimping SF4 and MvC3 at all or anything. :\

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
inner-G said:

Indie games are at least as interesting and innovative (therefore relevant) as Japanese games. They talk about what they want to talk about. They aren't beholden to any particular person's taste.

Celine said:
What sequel ?

on the PAX 2010 or one event Weekend Confirmed podcast he mentioned that he was trying to get a Windjammers something/sequel going.

Windjammers XBLA/PSN/Steam with online would be fucking awesome

Jhriad

Keyser Soze said:
Maybe he will go to Giant Bomb

The combined powers of classic Bombcast crew, Patrick, and ManGod would make my crotch explode in flames of glory. Do it.

Seriously though best of luck to Shane wherever he ends up!

MechaX said:
Thanks for Deadly Premonition and El Shaddai.

^This. Two of the most unique games on the market.

Top Bottom