• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shane Satterfield: Wii U Launch Line-Up is looking "pretty damn good".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glass Rebel

The fact that Nintendo pulled a Sony and announced NSMB2 should tell us that they, in fact, have a pretty damn good line-up at E3.

Full of highly anticipated games like Just Dance U, Carnival Games U, Rayman Raving Rabbids U etc.

Medalion

Banned
Dude is just trolling Wii-U with their sarcastic positive comment... we all know Wii-U will suck cuz it's not truly next-gen!!!

Japanese wise, we don't really know what's cooking for wii u do we? Every tiny leak, comment, announcement has pretty much been all western devs no?

Hiltz

Capcom's been a big supporter for Nintendo, so perhaps it has something planned early for Wii U especially since we know they have dev kits. Of course, probably half their titles will be ports. As long as one of them is RE 6 I'll be happy.

Sean

Banned
Satterfield has always struck me as one of those Nintendo fans that felt wronged by the Wii but still loves the company (I still remember him arguing with Terrell Suggs on ESPN how Ocarina of Time was the best game ever but he was quite down on Skyward Sword) so I think the fact that whatever he has seen has impressed him means something.

He might've been told some stuff off the record, but I'm fairly confident this guy hasn't actually "seen" shit. Any Wii U stuff would be under strict NDA and not demonstrated to press this far ahead of E3.

BY2K

Membero Americo
He might've been told some stuff off the record, but I'm fairly confident this guy hasn't actually "seen" shit. Any Wii U stuff would be under strict NDA and not demonstrated to press this far ahead of E3.

We know Mark Rein tried out Arkham City Wii U a few months ago. So I'll say some devs and press definitely had access to other Wii U demos we haven't seen yet and under strict NDA.

Instro

On the subject of Japan related stuff, I recall that Cave said they were done with the 360 and current platforms and were working on next gen hardware a couple months ago. That could be Wii U related I suppose. Really though there's nothing leaking from over there.

Trike

I got some legit inside info on the launch line-up.

There will be an intense single player adventure with lighthearted moments.
A multiplayer game for the whole family; and then some!
A journey that will take you away on a mystical land!
Action, violence, blood, vulgarity. You will find all of those words and more in this game.
Sports fans, your game is here!
Mario Teaches (virtual keyboard) Typing.

Medalion

Banned

Action, violence, blood, vulgarity. You will find all of those words and more in this game.

And they will be graphically mocked.

PM a mod to confirm yourself asap.

RedSwirl

My money is on something like the Vita.

High quantity, tons of ports including ports of games that have been out for more than a year, some sequels to games with minimal new features and then a general lukewarm feeling of the whole thing, proceeded by twiddling of thumbs waiting for new games.

So basically a decent launch.

People need to get past this and realize that this is pretty much how most console launches are. If we're lucky the Wii-U will get one badass killer app game at launch.

The only platform I can remember that defied this rule was the Dreamcast, and that was partly because it launched in the US like a year after Japan, so they actually had some real games ready, and even then a lot of it was superior ports of PS1 games. The SNES might be another example.

LOCK

Third Part Ports check
New Third Party Games check
Nintendo First Party check

Don't see why it won't be awesome.

Antioch

On the subject of Japan related stuff, I recall that Cave said they were done with the 360 and current platforms and were working on next gen hardware a couple months ago. That could be Wii U related I suppose. Really though there's nothing leaking from over there.

I think someone from Level-5 said they were considering porting the DS Layton games to it as well.

Misfits

Neo Member
the 3ds had a good launch line up then months of nothing. i hope they learnt from that mistake and are spacing out releases more instead of launching with 5 good games and then waiting upwards of 3 months for the next good release.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Barring something mind-blowing making it to launch, my current plans are to get Assassin's Creed 3 and a 1st party title, likely Pikmin 3.

Antioch

the 3ds had a good launch line up then months of nothing. i hope they learnt from that mistake and are spacing out releases more instead of launching with 5 good games and then waiting upwards of 3 months for the next good release.

The 3DS launch was pretty bad, and Iwata has said numerous times now that they're trying to avoid a similar situation.

Instro

I think someone from Level-5 said they were considering porting the DS Layton games to it as well.

That's interesting.

I could see stuff like this happening through DD, it would be a good way to fill out the the WiiU eshop. I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom ported that Ace Attorney HD thing as well.

impact

Banned
Five good games? I can't even think of one

Trike

Holy shit. I don't know if you know this, but you are amazing.

Medalion

Banned
Street Fighter IV 3D was the highest rated game... there weren't much else that was worth it... not even Pilotwings

RedSwirl

Pretty much every upcoming console gets their launch lineup hyped beyond belief.

I think what people really need to get hyped up for is each platform's second holiday season after launch. That always ends up being the awesome one.

PS2 in 2001:
Silent Hill 2
Metal Gear Solid 2
Final Fantasy X
Gran Turismo 3
Grand Theft Auto III

Gamecube in 2002:
Super Mario Sunshine
Metroid Prime
REMake

Dreamcast in 2000:
Skies of Arcadia
Grandia II
Jet Grind Radio
Shenmue
Rayman 2
Marvel vs Capcom 2

Antioch

That's interesting.

I could see stuff like this happening through DD, it would be a good way to fill out the the WiiU eshop. I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom ported that Ace Attorney HD thing as well.

Yeah, I think a lot of handheld games, especially DS and 3DS, will be ported to it. This is actually an aspect of the Wii U I feel most people have ignored so far. I could see stuff like Scribblenauts, for example, coming out on Wii U.

I think what people really need to get hyped up for is each platform's second holiday season after launch. That always ends up being the awesome one.

PS2 in 2001:
Silent Hill 2
Metal Gear Solid 2
Final Fantasy X
Gran Turismo 3
Grand Theft Auto III

Gamecube in 2002:
Super Mario Sunshine
Metroid Prime
REMake

Dreamcast in 2000:
Skies of Arcadia
Grandia II
Jet Grind Radio
Shenmue
Rayman 2
Marvel vs Capcom 2

That's true, the same way the Wii had SMG, PS3 had UC, and the 360 had Gears. I think we might see the next 3D Mario coming out Holiday 2013.

miksar

PS2 in 2001:
Silent Hill 2
Metal Gear Solid 2
Final Fantasy X
Gran Turismo 3
Grand Theft Auto III

Gamecube in 2002:
Super Mario Sunshine
Metroid Prime
REMake

Dreamcast in 2000:
Skies of Arcadia
Grandia II
Jet Grind Radio
Shenmue
Rayman 2
Marvel vs Capcom 2
How funny that only Dreamcast has non-sequels/remakes in this list.

Orayn

Guys, I think this post came from an alternate universe. This thread is now an episode of Fringe.

Misfits

Neo Member
really guys, it did.

street fighter 4, ghost recon shadow wars, rayman, pilotwings resort and the last one is a personal preference - lego star wars.

maybe not amazing by any standard, but it was solid and had games for everyone. the problem was that nintendo and third party developers didn't bother releasing anything for months afterwards.

linko9

It's odd to hear people saying that Satterfield is generally "anti-Nintendo." I've gotten exactly the opposite impression from listening to IW on and off for the past couple years and watching Bonus Round from time to time. He always seems to be someone who sticks up for Nintendo and generally loves their games. Of course he's got critical things to say too, but I'd never classify him as "anti-Nintendo."

Anyway, hope this quote of his turns out to be true, but I never really have high hopes for launch lineups. Seeing as Nintendo hasn't had a great track record in that area since the N64 (and that was because of one game), I certainly ain't getting my hopes up this time.

nomis

Shane Satterfield: Is a Tool

This statement is divorced from the question of the Wii-U launch line-up's quality.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I would be surprised if WiiU doesnt have a stellar lineup - they had a lot of time to prepare its launch and pretty much every big ps360 games could launch on day 1 - if Vita can have a stellar launch lineup, it should be easy for WiiU to top that.

Sendou

It's true that Iwata said they learned their lesson from the slow start of 3DS. And 3DS argueably didn't have the most compelling launch title selection. And of course you could say that Wii U is getting many quality titles for launch but if vast majority of them are ports from past years (which will be the case for most publishers) then it doesn't really matter.

Nose Master

So that zelda tech demo will be a finished launch game is what he's saying, right? Awesome! /puts fingers in ears and walks away

JDSN

Banned
I strongly believe that the best third party game at launch will be Lego City Stories.

Come at me bros!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom