• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (PS3/4/Vita/360/XB1/WiiU/PC) Kickstarter [800K/400K Funded]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I exit a level using the whistle, does my progress in that level get saved? I just finished an objective in a level I already beat and don't particularly feel like playing the level to the end again.

Electric Nigma

Neo Member
Good game. Does any one know where the next to last item on cape crustacean is. Only thing I'm missing. It looks like there is a chest in the first ship after the carpet ride.

The last item in Cap Crustacean is a piece of scrap metal. It is found in the third section of the level, the airship interior. After going through a hall of lasers, there will be a platform you may jump down. Once you do, there will be a flower to the left. Use the elephant stomp on the flower to get the scrap metal. There's also a heart holder (I think) to the right of that room, but you need the ability to go up waterfalls to get it.

There are no items on the carpet ride.

Ferr986

I was eager to try this because I loved Pirate Curse but Risky's Revenge kind of deflated my hype. I stopped at the ¿third? dungeon (the one in the mermaid's area). Game feels like a mess level design wise and how obscure is to point you need to look for certain things/powerups to advance.

Also I wonder about the difficulty comments, I didn't find PC too hard until the last level, which was rage inducing to me. And the last boss was a massive HP sponge.

I was eager to try this because I loved Pirate Curse but Risky's Revenge kind of deflated my hype. I stopped at the ¿third? dungeon (the one in the mermaid's area). Game feels like a mess level design wise and how obscure is to point you need to look for certain things/powerups to advance.

Also I wonder about the difficulty comments, I didn't find PC too hard until the last level, which was rage inducing to me. And the last boss was a massive HP sponge.
Seems like a straight up platformer with individual levels and not really metroidvania-esque. I think it was mentioned that there aren't any dungeons either?

Pehesse

Risky's hideout
(third part), i can't pass a narrow spiked corridor with
the bird shape
. Any hint ?

If I recall correctly, there are two different instances of that happening during that segment, one where you can use
bat
form, and the other
monkey
form (
monkey bullet
) to pass. Basically, if it look like you can only traverse in a straight line in a very narrow space... you probably need to do exactly that, and it all comes down to whether you can land/align exactly in front on standing ground, or on a vertical surface!

Where do I find the
sweet and sassy poster
? First time the game's stumped me.

Where are you in the game? If you beat the 5th boss already, you should have no trouble finding it, but AFAIK it's not available before (it's given by
Squid Baron in the Gallery
)

Jeffrey

I think I'm just terrible at platformers then because I definitely struggled a bit in the final dungeon of pirates curse lol. I hate spikes.

aett

Pirate's Curse was the third Shantae game and Risky's Revenge was the second (and also severely limited in terms of size because of DSiWare reasons), so they've learned a lot since then.

Still working through HGH and I do miss dungeons, but the Metroidvania element is still basically around. I would love a true Metroidvania-style Shantae with a huge, interconnected world, though.

If I recall correctly, there are two different instances of that happening during that segment, one where you can use
bat
form, and the other
monkey
form (
monkey bullet
) to pass. Basically, if it look like you can only traverse in a straight line in a very narrow space... you probably need to do exactly that, and it all comes down to whether you can land/align exactly in front on standing ground, or on a vertical surface!

Where are you in the game? If you beat the 5th boss already, you should have no trouble finding it, but AFAIK it's not available before (it's given by
Squid Baron in the Gallery
)

Oh, I didn't even think to go there for some odd reason. Thanks!

ArjanN

I'm not going to disagree about the game being easy, but I don't think it's any easier than the other games in the series. It's just not a difficult series at all.

The difficulty in the previous games was basically like almost every Metroidvania game in that they're only hard if you're going for a low percentage completion or speedruns/achievements.

The last item in Cap Crustacean is a piece of scrap metal. It is found in the third section of the level, the airship interior. After going through a hall of lasers, there will be a platform you may jump down. Once you do, there will be a flower to the left. Use the elephant stomp on the flower to get the scrap metal. There's also a heart holder (I think) to the right of that room, but you need the ability to go up waterfalls to get it.

There are no items on the carpet ride.

I'm missing the next to last item when you select the stage. Also what I was saying is after the carpet race your in the flying ships. The very first ship looks like there is a chest through the windows.

I'm having a hard time finding all the
remains
and I think that's what I need to do to advance the story. I have everything up to the magic carpet level unlocked. I'm looking for the
light shard.

CazTGG

I kind of wonder what Risky's Revenge could have been if the episodic thing panned out, or if we got the gba game...with HGH I really love the game but i do spot where the two other stages could have slotted in (Shantae says she needs a bath after a later on stage, and in the third game there's that bath trap that risky mentions again at the end, that probably would have been a good lead in to one of those other 2 risky focused stages from the kickstarter that didn't get funded...)

Game's great though. I hope it gets the attention it deserves and big letsplayers at least do a look at the game. (Game Grumps, Super Best Friends, ect) Can't wait for the DLC's and to see if they get on a 5th game sooner than usual! (The extra characters and outfit gameplay styles all sound really interesting.)

It's funny you mention that because Shantae: Risky's Revenge itself reused a lot of assets from the cancelled GBA sequel, including the same spritework for Shantae swimming from that game in RR as well as the magic seal.

VariantX

If Mighty No 9 is the game that made me want to drop supporting any kickstarter project ever again, Shantae is the game that has renewed my faith in the concept.....(Ok yes and Shovel Knight too).

This game is so goddamn good.

I know right. I hope this game is successful and we can get those DLC chapters that we missed out on due to missing the stretch goals. I'm not even finished yet and I already want more.

Pehesse

I'm having a hard time finding all the
remains
and I think that's what I need to do to advance the story. I have everything up to the magic carpet level unlocked. I'm looking for the
light shard.

To find the remains in the tower, you'll need to
smash statue heads along the side using the elephant form.
Don't forget you can
slide some distance in the air while dashing as the elephant, so look for platforms aligned with statue heads!

For the light shard, it's in
the Mermaid Falls
, you'll need
the mouse transform and look for a platform towards the top/center of the area (there are two mouse entrypoints, one of them requires bat form to access - it's not the one you're looking for). Follow the path as a mouse using the moving platforms until you reach the glowing light, the wizard.
He'll trade the Light Shard for the
Lollipop
, which you get in exchange for what you obtain from
collecting all the Tower's remains.
So basically...
Tower->smash heads as elephant->get Sick->Trade Sick for Lollipop at Bath House->Go To Mermaid Falls->Use Mouse transform in waterfall area to locate Wizard->Light Shard!

To find the remains in the tower, you'll need to
smash statue heads along the side using the elephant form.
Don't forget you can
slide some distance in the air while dashing as the elephant, so look for platforms aligned with statue heads!

For the light shard, it's in
the Mermaid Falls
, you'll need
the mouse transform and look for a platform towards the top/center of the area (there are two mouse entrypoints, one of them requires bat form to access - it's not the one you're looking for). Follow the path as a mouse using the moving platforms until you reach the glowing light, the wizard.
He'll trade the Light Shard for the
Lollipop
, which you get in exchange for what you obtain from
collecting all the Tower's remains.
So basically...
Tower->smash heads as elephant->get Sick->Trade Sick for Lollipop at Bath House->Go To Mermaid Falls->Use Mouse transform in waterfall area to locate Wizard->Light Shard!
Thanks. Didn't realize that about the elephant powers and I only found two otherwise.

Kid Marin

bat
form, and the other
monkey
form (
monkey bullet
Thank you!

new update
===============
Update #95 Dec 14 2016

Wii U Codes, Press Codes!

Greetings Backers!

We have another update for you regarding Wii U Backer Codes. We've been sending a lot of Updates lately, so we'll keep this short and to the point!
Wii U North America Codes are here!

Codes for Wii U North America have gone out! Hooray! You should all see an email from Backerkit! If you’re having trouble finding your code, please see Update #94 for further instructions!

Wii U Europe Codes are still on the way!

At this time, the only Backer Codes we’re still waiting for are Wii U (EU). We still expect these to arrive at any moment, but in the interest of serving you best, we’re going to issue each Wii U (EU) Backer a complimentary Steam code to help tide you over.

Look for an email from Backerkit, and enjoy this complimentary code while you wait! You are the last group to be served, so thank you for your patience. As soon as we get the Wii U (EU) Codes, we'll send them out right away!

Please note: this DOES include Backers who've selected Wii U for Australia and New Zealand.

Next Up, Press Codes

A quick heads up! Now that the majority of Backers have been served, we're working on the next step, which is to send out Press Codes. This needs to happen this week in order to get reviewers time with the game prior to Launch Day.

Don't worry -- Support emails from Backers are still our highest priority! We've been working our way through the support list with much success, and if we haven't gotten to you, we will soon!

Remember, if you're missing your Backer Code for any reason, see Update #94 for instructions on how to get into our support system!

Thanks! See you next update!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/1764352

Eusis

I should probably send a message about them screwing up on the PS4/Steam front for me. Though with the PC version having some issues maybe it came out OK, but then the PS4 does have slowdown at places like the Mermaid Falls when revisited so... bleh.

antibolo

Banned
How's the Vita version? Does it run well?

Looking forward to buying the game next week. I missed out on the kickstarter because I had actually not played a Shantae game yet at that point in time.

I'm wondering if the digital soundtrack will be available after the physical copies are out, to avoid people potentially getting their hands on it early through pirates and thus not buying the game right away.

I mean, I have my Vita RBE pre-ordered from Amazon anyway, but it would have been nice to get my soundtrack to listen to at work.

Giolon

Got to play the first level of the Wii U version last night. It runs great and looks fantastic! My only complaint is the audio mix is a little unbalanced with the music being so loud it overpowers the sound effects and dialogue snippets. Are the other versions like that?

I can't say enough how nice it is to play an HD Shantae game though.

Sevyne

Looking forward to buying the game next week. I missed out on the kickstarter because I had actually not played a Shantae game yet at that point in time.

Plays and looks great on Vita. My only issue is that the transformation interface is a little hard to see on the small screen, but that's not really a big problem.

Opa-Pa

I'm wondering if the digital soundtrack will be available after the physical copies are out, to avoid people potentially getting their hands on it early through pirates and thus not buying the game right away.

I mean, I have my Vita RBE pre-ordered from Amazon anyway, but it would have been nice to get my soundtrack to listen to at work.

Actually I'm wondering if the soundtrack will work just like the Shovel Knight one did for physical copies, where they came with a code to download it even though Jake Kaufman had it as name your price on his bandcamp (and thus being able to get it for free legally). Actually every single soundtrack he's worked on is like that, but he sometimes takes a while before uploading them post launch.

CazTGG

It's pretty solid. Haven't noticed any slowdown and it seems to be running at 60 fps. Shantae is ret-2-go on the go as always.

mankoto

Beat the game earlier today and wow I made some parts harder for myself than I needed it to be.

Press down in Crab Form.

In this one for instance, I actually used
Dryad
with some annoying precise timing.

bat
form, and the other
monkey
form (
monkey bullet

Heh, I actually stayed
Harpy
that entire part of the stage. Took a dozen or so times to get perfect the timing.

Actually I'm wondering if the soundtrack will work just like the Shovel Knight one did for physical copies, where they came with a code to download it even though Jake Kaufman had it as name your price on his bandcamp (and thus being able to get it for free legally). Actually every single soundtrack he's worked on is like that, but he sometimes takes a while before uploading them post launch.

Probably, yes. By giving a code for it he gets a guaranteed payout from it, too. Maybe?

I mean, I was planning on giving him money for it when it was done, so I cut out the middle man and pledged $25 when the KS went live.

Mithos

Still waiting for emails with codes...

But at least I started getting update emails again for the first time since may 2016.

Javier

The graphics, the music, the gameplay... all of it is great. But the Spanish translation is one of the worst I've seen. Expressions translated literally instead of using an equivalent, male adjectives to refer to female characters, bits of English still left in the script... it's pretty bad.

It's like they ran the whole thing in Google Translate and barely checked it after that.

Lain

The graphics, the music, the gameplay... all of it is great. But the Spanish translation is one of the worst I've seen. Expressions translated literally instead of using an equivalent, male adjectives to refer to female characters, bits of English still left in the script... it's pretty bad.

It's like they ran the whole thing in Google Translate and barely checked it after that.

Italian translation has similar problems and it is pretty apparent from the beginning. I could tell someone translated Shantae telling Risky "I thought so" literally the moment I read her phrase in Italian.
I wish the language selector was inside the game instead of having to change it from the properties through Steam.

Man, I love Risky Boots. I know she's all bust out and sexified but I think her character design is fantastic. The skull bra/belt combo is so creative and awesome looking. She's such a fun villain.

I know she's costarred in a game and has her own modes for a couple Shantae games but I'd love a standalone Risky game. She's so great.

Ferr986

Seems like a straight up platformer with individual levels and not really metroidvania-esque. I think it was mentioned that there aren't any dungeons either?

Pirate's Curse was the third Shantae game and Risky's Revenge was the second (and also severely limited in terms of size because of DSiWare reasons), so they've learned a lot since then.

Still working through HGH and I do miss dungeons, but the Metroidvania element is still basically around. I would love a true Metroidvania-style Shantae with a huge, interconnected world, though.

Thanks guys

So it's RR all over again? Pirate's Curse spanish translation was good but Risky's was a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom