• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shawn Layden: PlayStation's strengths are creating stories, characters, emotions

paulogy

While there are already other threads (Death Stranding, release dates) made from this great interview with Shawn Layden, I didn't see the following quotes pulled out yet. They act as a counterpoint to Phil Spencer's pursuit of service-based games:

While [Microsoft] are doubling down on games as services, such as Minecraft and Sea of Thieves, and community driven PC-friendly titles like Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds and State of Decay, Sony continue to invest in lavish, story-driven AAA blockbusters. Does Layden agree with that assessment of the respective philosophies?

“My philosophy is to play to my strengths,” he argues. “And if you look at the studios we have - Naughty Dog, Guerrilla, Santa Monica Studios, Japan Studios - that’s what we do well. We do story. We create characters. I was so gratified to see the response to [Horizon Zero Dawn protagonist] Aloy when she showed up on the screen and the crowd went wild.

“Those are the kind of things we do well. It’s what we’re known for. It really speaks to our entertainment DNA. We wish to entertain. We wish to make you happy. We wish to make you cry. That whole range of emotions we can pluck at to make you have a great experience.

“Games as a service? We have a bit of that with our MLB [The Show] title - it’s got the same virtual currency a lot of sports have - and we have other titles that come up that play in that space. But if you want to make a big generalisation about what does Worldwide Studios do? We’re big on character. We’re big on story.”

So you are happy to concede that ground to Microsoft?

“I’m not conceding anything,” Layden snaps back. “I reserve the right to enter anything at any time if I have a team and a concept that works in that space.“

You should read the whole interview if you can. A lot of great details in there, including their rationale for the streamlined E3 showcase this year:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/w...ions-shawn-layden-death-stranding-spider-man/

jrDev

I think Sony should stick to that niche, nothing else works for them, so yes they should play to their strengths...

Awesome, thanks for sharing OP.

As the 31 yr old guy who constantly worries about if these types of games will exist in 10 years, this is very heartening to hear.

I think Sony should stick to that niche, nothing else works for them, so yes they should play to their strengths...

What does this mean?

fantomena

That's why I keep myself to PS, Nintendo and PC. I like story driven/SP-games best. If I had to choose between a good SP game, a game with a mediocre SP, but good MP and a very good MP only game, I will choose the good SP game.

What.

Eria

That's why I love Nintendo and Sony games.

Not a fan of Ubisoft neither Microsoft (besides quantum break and sunset overdrive)

ornery

196157.gif

As a die hard single player fan & noticing the recent trend of the walls closing in elsewhere. It's reassuring to hear the house of playstation will keep those experiences coming.

There is a picture starting to unfold where Nintendo cater to a family audience, Sony cater to those after story driven cinematic games and Xbox is going after GaaS.

This is actually a great thing as it differentiates between the platforms and gives them their own identity.

There is a picture starting to unfold where Nintendo cater to a family audience, Sony cater to those after story driven cinematic games and Xbox is going after GaaS.

This is actually a great thing as it differentiates between the platforms and gives them their own identity.

I think it might be more applicable to say Nintendo are all ages, rather than "family". Although I suppose that is kinda what it means :p

Dynomutt

Why the hell would the interviewer think Sony doesn't want in on that GaaS bag?

Talking about GaaS. What would it be? MLB would be their best opportunity and those micro transactions could pull in some dough.

Edit: I was thinking multi-plat GaaS. Don't know why! I know it's unlikely but if Sony released MLB as multi-plat it would be huge. Arguably more financially beneficial that the number of people who buy a PS console just to play MLB. I'm saying this as a tried and true PS fan as well.

Xando

I like a mixture of both.

Strong SP story focused exclusives and third party service games are the way to go imo
Talking about GaaS. What would it be? MLB would be their best opportunity and those micro transactions could pull in some dough.
MLB already is a GaaS title

We couldnt go one page without a controversial hot take huh? I do like these kinds of games but i think they need to make the gameplay as engaging as the narrative, uncharted 4's problem is that its very slow which makes it a bit of a chore to replay, horizon was awesome because the moment to moment gameplay was always so fun.

Sony really does have a lot story base game but they do have there hand in everything .
I expect Dreams and GTS to be there GaaS games .

AALLx

At the very least, I applaud the creative freedom that Sony allows its studios. The games they make feel like games that they actually want to make, rather than what they think will sell. "Make a good game first; the audience will naturally follow".

Sony is smart, because they realize third parties will bring GaaS titles to their platform and their first party studios can focus on other things.

At the very least, I applaud the creative freedom that Sony allows its studios. The games they make feel like games that they actually want to make, rather than what they think will sell. "Make a good game first; the audience will naturally follow".
That reminds me when shu said they were afraid with making aloy the main character but GG pushed it or something like that wish I could find the interview

Defuser

“I’m not conceding anything,” Layden snaps back. “I reserve the right to enter anything at any time if I have a team and a concept that works in that space.“
Dear Shawn, it's called Warhawk 2. Make that shit pls.

sora87

I'd have to agree. It's why I've spent much more time on playstation systems since PS1 compared to the others.

Bubble

Neo Member
Good shit. It disappoints me seeing so many developers focus on MP games and games-as-a-service, so for Sony to focus on story driven SP games is exactly is like music to my ears.

I like Layden a lot. He's a good dude who knows where their strengths are.

That makes sense and why most everything from Sony since The Last of Us, seems like the Last of Us. Especially at this years E3.

I honestly think that says more about how Sony presents games than how similar the games themselves actually are. Almost all the games they show have looked Naughty Dog-esque at first glance and then the gameplay systems are actually really varied and interesting - Days Gone is just the latest victim of "wow this looks a lot like the Last of Us" in demos but in gameplay looks really great and different.

Resogun? Bloodborne? Driveclub? WipeOut? OlliOlli 1/2?

They've had plenty of great games this gen that put gameplay above everything else.

It's okay to focus on your strengths, but I don't like how their games are all starting to look like the same game.

If you show someone a Days Gone footage you could easily pass it as The Last of Us spin off, a prequel to Horizon, a Uncharted going back to the supernatural DLC, and even GoW is being brought towards that (though in the specific case of GoW it was a very positive change thus far).

But I guess it works for them, helps sets the Ps4 apart, and the fans seems to like it, so I can't fault them for doubling down on that.

AALLx

That reminds me when shu said they were afraid with making aloy the main character but GG pushed it or something like that wish I could find the interview

HZD was fantastic. You can actually feel the amount of love and effort that GG poured into the game. You can tell when a studio "cares". Same with Naughty Dog and The Last of Us.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Good in sticking to their guns on that. There's clearly an audience for that, but third parties do GaaS just fine. Sony's own studios bring to the table something i am invested in much more.

Top Bottom