• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shawn Layden: PlayStation's strengths are creating stories, characters, emotions

Toni

Sony for that great story games.

Nintendo for that pure gameplay

PC for anything else

2kWHUnN.png

Thank god. Sony's first party output is just amazing for SP gamers who like big AAA-games.
I also feel that the big service-games require a huge investment and commitment, only big third party publishers can take such risks imo.
Most Sony studios aren't that big, but they get to work with only one platform and get the time and money to make it good. I feel that a studio like Sucker Punch or Sony Bend could never make a GaaS and have the same impact and marketing potential a SP story driven game can have.

Sony is differentiating themselves with their first party games and that's the right thing to do imo. It gets people like myself in, who feel a littlebit let down by the big publishers and the console still gets all the big MP/service games.

joshcam19

I'm gonna guess that this reasonable thread w/out a click bait title will not do as well as the Jim Ryan thread today on NeoGaf. Despite this, thank you for showing this quote. The most important thing to me is SP/Characters/Story (and gameplay of course). Sony does that better than most.

It's okay to focus on your strengths, but I don't like how their games are all starting to look like the same game.

If you show someone a Days Gone footage you could easily pass it as The Last of Us spin off, a prequel to Horizon, a Uncharted going back to the supernatural DLC, and even GoW is being brought towards that (though in the specific case of GoW it was a very positive change thus far).

But I guess it works for them, helps sets the Ps4 apart, and the fans seems to like it, so I can't fault them for doubling down on that.

This is BS no one is going to mistake HZD for anything else from a trailer .
The same for GOW and many of there other stuff .

And this is why I've been a big fan of the PlayStation brand ever since its inception. Out of the three manufacturers they're the ones who most consistently deliver the kind of games I'm looking for.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Music to my ears. Play to your strengths. And venture out into uncharted territories creatively, as always.

____

Nice interview. Some of the stuff we've heard in the past week, but a lot of the info is new to me.

While Layden's right that the cinematic story games are at the height of what they do, there's lots of variety in there I feel. MLB and Gran Turismo target that service sector; there's Knack and Ratchet; obviously the VR stuff; even the casual stuff like SingStar and these new PlayLink games.

I think they cover a lot of bases.

panda-zebra

Banned
It's okay to focus on your strengths, but I don't like how their games are all starting to look like the same game.

If you show someone a Days Gone footage you could easily pass it as The Last of Us spin off, a prequel to Horizon, a Uncharted going back to the supernatural DLC, and even GoW is being brought towards that (though in the specific case of GoW it was a very positive change thus far).

But I guess it works for them, helps sets the Ps4 apart, and the fans seems to like it, so I can't fault them for doubling down on that.

Yeah, when you know how to make game trees and game streams and game sky and more game trees, you gotta double down on those things for the feels. Post the gif man and prove it to 'em!

I think Sony should stick to that niche, nothing else works for them, so yes they should play to their strengths...

Lol, you mean a lot works for them. If there's one company that covers all genres and has a huge pool of fans, it's definitely Sony. They always covered pretty much all genres and do pretty well at it. Shooters, racers, rpgs, service games, free to play... you name it.

thuway

Yup Sony first party is the only reason I haven't went full on PC yet with gaming. It's amazing to see just how incredible tech studios like Naughty Dog and Guerilla are pushing.

As long as this stays true, Playstation will be my main platform along with PC, and Nintendo Consoles whenever there's enough games that justify buying the console.

Just next year, Days Gone, Detroit, Spider Man, Yakuza 6 and God of War? All single player?
Yeah, I ain't leaving soon.

Edit: Shit, forgot God of War.

megalowho

I feel the same. The homogenization of Sony's big releases to fit the Naughty Dog template hasn't been my favorite development, but I can't fault these studios for sticking to their internal strengths and delivering what the people want since they sell. The sensitivity from Sony fans when you point it out is amusing, though.

I love this man for his beautiful words.

Story. Characters. Emotion.

This is why I love PlayStation.
They're just buzzwords that the industry has leaned on time and time again. You heard pretty much the same from Bioware PR for the past decade or so.

Dargor

Who else votes for all of Sony's interviews to be made by at least Layden and never by Ryan raise your hand.

o/

That makes sense and why most everything from Sony since The Last of Us, seems like the Last of Us. Especially at this years E3.

Bloodborne (proposed by Sony), Horizon etc seem just like TLoU?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding :p I think TLoU has probably become Sony's internal benchmark for the sort of effect they want their IPs to have and aim towards.

I really miss when they'd have atleast some focus on online multiplayer games :(. Socom, Warhawk, Resistance were all games I really enjoyed in that regard. I hope they consider bringing back atleast some of these series that focused on online gameplay. From his words, it doesn't seem like they're ruling it out, but it's just not their current focus.

Sony is smart, because they realize third parties will bring GaaS titles to their platform and their first party studios can focus on other things.

Exactly. No point competing with games that are going to be on your console anyway, and likely bigger at that. For all of the criticism they are suddenly getting for having "third person action foliage simulators", they're fulfilling a niche that many 3rd parties are choosing not to make.

Awesome, thanks for sharing OP.

As the 31 yr old guy who constantly worries about if these types of games will exist in 10 years, this is very heartening to hear.

It's easy to sometimes forget how popular SP games are in these times where Twitch/MP/F2P/service get a lot of attention.
Gaming has just gotten a lot bigger, with more variety then ever.

Sony is clearly doing very well (financially and critically) with their first party output.

blakep267

cinematic blockbuster "games" are surely not going away... this is what the mainstream wants.
I'd say the mainstream don't want it more than MP service based experiences and that's going by sales and the direction that most big publishers are going. Of course cinematic SP games won't be extinct but your filling yourself with your statement

And thank God they do.

It seems like in the Western AAA space there's only Sony, Bethesda and at times Ubisoft (not much in the future though...) who really caters to single player gamers.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Gratitude, Sony, for caring for us single-player gamers who want good stories and characters. Sony and Bethesda both!

I really miss when they'd have atleast some focus on online multiplayer games :(. Socom, Warhawk, Resistance were all games I really enjoyed in that regard. I hope they consider bringing back atleast some of these series that focused on online gameplay. From his words, it doesn't seem like they're ruling it out, but it's just not their current focus.

I know you're holding out for that SOCOM remaster, and I still think it's coming. Yoshida mentioned at last years PSX that it comes down to resources with them, so since the first batch of games are mostly out, i'd expect to see the second wave show up at this years PSX. SOCOM and Warhawk are really perfect fits for this.

Top Bottom