• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shawn Layden: PlayStation's strengths are creating stories, characters, emotions

What they are saying isn't much different than something like Nintendo creating "games for fun and to make people smile".

They have their bread and butter, but Sony also has games like Gran Turismo, MLB, Dreams, etc.... Heck, Knack 2 is looking pretty sweet as well.

It'd be really nice if they could expand into areas like JRPGs, family games (where is Puppeteer 2!), and genres like that, but they definitely have a vast portfolio of tastes.

PS3 kill Sony Jrpgs which is rather sad .

chadtwo

As someone who just picked up a PS4, this pretty well encapsulates why I'm more drawn to its exclusives than the bone's (speaking as an owner of that as well).

Layden has a point about some of their games filling that role. MLB The Show and Gran Turismo have that kind of longevity past their single-player options (though both have hefty single-player options, at least I know The Show does). And they do release stuff like Drawn to Death which fills that niche.

And some of the games they've published, specifically from Housemarque, are awesome for games that aren't story-driven but just thrive on fast, addictive gameplay.

But I'm glad they're not abandoning their single-player games, and I'm glad they don't simply make their big studios do things they're not comfortable doing. I mean, Guerrilla made the Killzone games and they got to go strictly single-player story-driven with Horizon.

I think it's important for some of their big games, like Uncharted and The Last of Us, to have multiplayer components, and they're a lot of fun, I think. Just glad they don't do just that and put in a shoddy single-player experience instead.

EDIT: I will say, though, that I spent a LOT of time doing multiplayer in Bloodborne, and stuff like that is an awesome way to put in multiplayer that enhances the single-player experience. Hope they continue to do more stuff with From.

AudioEppa

I don't agree that the PlayStation's DNA is in story-driven, cinematic experiences. That's just Naughty Dog's DNA, and that only started with the PS3. The PS1 and PS2 did quite well with just giving us great videogames of all kinds.

I believe PS will always be a place for every kind of game, some less then others. But for myself. Story-driven, cinematic games are what I build my PlayStation passion on. Of course not many in the beginning. But throughout PS1/2 there was enough.

The technology within PS3/4 has allowed it to be even a bigger then before, along with Sony letting its devs do what they want, this giving it more chances of exposure to the consumer. Who has in return let Sony know they love it.

I know you're holding out for that SOCOM remaster, and I still think it's coming. Yoshida mentioned at last years PSX that it comes down to resources with them, so since the first batch of games are mostly out, i'd expect to see the second wave show up at this years PSX. SOCOM and Warhawk are really perfect fits for this.

That would be a dream come true for me!

I'm a big single player guy, but also a viable local multiplayer guy (not so much an online multiplayer guy unless it is a story based coop mode). This has me interested in switch somewhat. I'm just not that into Nintendo first party games anymore except for Metroid. I'll be down if they exhibit good 3rd party support with robust local multiplayer modes in many of the games.

PS4 has impressed me with its fantastic story driven single player titles. Happy I chose it as my console this gen.

A GaaS game can have single player. You can do both. There are games doing it. I'm pretty sure Sony was doing just fine with some GaaS games last gen.

Nameless

Sony has a solid strategy - focus on AAA/high-mid tier single player experiences while striking co-marketing deals for your Destinys, CODs, Battlefronts etc.. Everyone wins.

That said I think 'Factions' in TLOU2 has a chance to be pretty huge on the GaaS front.

Bold One

I really don't think that is the cast I mean GOW always had story .
GOW has over 2 hours of cutscenes .
They always had both even from PS1 days when they used to do Jrpgs .

Don't you know, ND invented stories. Before Naught Dog blessed us all game characters did was run to the right of the screen

Timeaisis

Sony has always had diversity. This comment that they are story-focused is just based on what has been successful for them in the past few years (ND games, Witcher, etc.) I think it's important for any console to offer diverse entertainment.

But if they want to continue to nurture this in their 3rd party, fine. I guess you could consider that as doubling down. You can kind of see this in the direction GoW is going, which...I find somewhat weird. But whatever works for them, I suppose. I'm glad competition and 3rd parties exists.

Wrynnax

I love his last response to the question about which game he's most excited about: I love all my children just as much.
He seems like he really knows his stuff and is a likeable guy to work with/under.

Tell that to David Jaffe.

Poor Twisted Metal. That's a niche that no longer exists.

Hey, Jaffe also made God of War!

I can't really think of anyone doing cinematic blockbusters besides Sony and The Tomb Raider devs.The mainstream wants games like COD and Destiny.

I feel there's still quite a crop of games that'll give you rewarding single-player experiences. Heck, even games with a big multiplayer component and minimal story, like Resogun, have great single-player modes, and games like Bloodborne do a fantastic job blending them even if the latter isn't cinematic (it's still awesome, and deciphering the lore is a blast)

GTA, Tomb Raider, Dragon Age, Fallout, Red Dead Redemption, God of War, Horizon, Uncharted, Days Gone, Last of Us, any Telltale Game, Life Is Strange, Sunset Overdrive, Ratchet & Clank, Marvel's Spider-Man, Shadow of the Colossus Remake, Detroit: Become Human, Gravity Rush, Nioh, Final Fantasy, Persona, Ni No Kuni, Dragon Quest, Watch Dogs...

They're not all cinematic (many are, some aren't), but I haven't felt that games like Destiny have gotten in the way of what I typically enjoy. Heck, even Titanfall 2 produced a short but really fun single-player mode that I was really happy about and not expecting.

And heck, though I haven't played Overwatch, I haven't ruled it out, either.

CDPR isn't a big publisher and I would be very surprised if the next GTA has an offline mode.

GTA Online was pretty popular, but as long as GTA has a big single-player mode (and I'm sure Red Dead will as well), then I wouldn't mind a big online mode either.

Floody

A GaaS game can have single player. You can do both. There are games doing it. I'm pretty sure Sony was doing just fine with some GaaS games last gen.

Usually through throwing on a half arsed MP mode. Sony seem to be happy delivering high quality SP only games, and partner with the really popular GaaS stuff, instead of trying to compete with them.

Of the top of my head, only Uncharted 4 seems to not follow that this gen.

CrayToes

Kind of struggling to think of anything beyond Naughty Dog's games that really fits that description. Sucker Punch has created some loveable characters over the years but that's all I've got.

Sony, for me, have always been the ones that push technological boundaries whilst providing really strong gameplay and memorable worlds.

Usually through throwing on a half arsed MP mode. Sony seem to be happy delivering high quality SP only games, and partner with the really popular GaaS stuff, instead of trying to compete with them.

Of the top of my head, only Uncharted 4 seems to not follow that this gen.
Warhawk was very popular, LBP was very popular, TLoU's multiplayer was very popular, they don't throw around half assed GaaS games. Who cares about competing with third parties. Your already competing with them on SP games, not to mention specific genres alone.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Please continue making them and I'll continue buying them. Not at all interested in MP games or gas games.

Lady Gaia

Why the hell would the interviewer think Sony doesn't want in on that GaaS bag?

I'm even more baffled by the assumption that GaaS wouldn't benefit tremendously from strong characters and stories worth telling. That would certainly draw me in more than anything else I've seen as traditional hooks.

Tutomos

It's an lazy statement to say all Sony's games look the same.

Bend is based in Oregon and Days Gone is based in the same area where there's a lot of forest and dessert. We've seen forest but they haven't shown us dessert yet, they mentioned it will be in the game. If they really wanted to make the game look like The Last of Us, they could've just use the same engine, instead they are using Unreal Engine 4 which they mentioned they are getting support from Epic.

So called "Dad of War" was created by Cory Barlog who didn't have a son when he was directing GOW 2 but now he's got a son and aged a bit he wanted to tell a tale inspired by that.

I mean some of you guys are just looking at the surface level stuff. I don't think Shawn Layden is mandating them that they have to make certain games. However there's 1 strike then you're out thing going on. If the game is not selling well nor critically acclaimed, then the studio is in danger of being dissolved.

Another thing is people think you must have some kind of twist to have a good story. Or your story must be original or complex to be good. All the popular movies, books or video games nowadays are not about those. They are about the characters and the interactions between them. The story can be simple or even derivative, but the characters are what's drawing people in. I'm not saying those are objectively good or bad, I'm just saying they are popular and a lot of people think they're good.

Yeah, I think it is a good philosophy...and it is what differentiates their platform for Xbox.

It's okay to focus on your strengths, but I don't like how their games are all starting to look like the same game.

If you show someone a Days Gone footage you could easily pass it as The Last of Us spin off, a prequel to Horizon, a Uncharted going back to the supernatural DLC, and even GoW is being brought towards that (though in the specific case of GoW it was a very positive change thus far).

But I guess it works for them, helps sets the Ps4 apart, and the fans seems to like it, so I can't fault them for doubling down on that.

`They are all cinematic...I can see some similarities between Days Gone and TLoUs...You are clutching at straws for the rest. I am surprised you didn't manage to fit Spiderman in there somewhere as well.

Yeah, I think it is a good philosophy...and it is what differentiates their platform for Xbox.

`They are all cinematic...I can see some similarities between Days Gone and TLoUs...You are clutching at straws for the rest. I am surprised you didn't manage to fit Spiderman in there somewhere as well.
Well Spider-Man has been called a telltale game so there's that

I-hate-u

I don't mind them doing these types of games as long as they're supplementing them with gameplay focused titles like PABR and Bloodborne.

So....give use PABR2 and Bloodborne 2.

Bold One

It's an lazy statement to say all Sony's games look the same.

Bend is based in Oregon and Days Gone is based in the same area where there's a lot of forest and dessert. We've seen forest but they haven't shown us dessert yet, they mentioned it will be in the game. If they really wanted to make the game look like The Last of Us, they could've just use the same engine, instead they are using Unreal Engine 4 which they mentioned they are getting support from Epic.

So called "Dad of War" was created by Cory Barlog who didn't have a son when he was directing GOW 2 but now he's got a son and aged a bit he wanted to tell a tale inspired by that.

I mean some of you guys are just looking at the surface level stuff. I don't think Shawn Layden is mandating them that they have to make certain games. However there's 1 strike then you're out thing going on. If the game is not selling well nor critically acclaimed, then the studio is in danger of being dissolved.

Another thing is people think you must have some kind of twist to have a good story. Or your story must be original or complex to be good. All the popular movies, books or video games nowadays are not about those. They are about the characters and the interactions between them. The story can be simple or even derivative, but the characters are what's drawing people in. I'm not saying those are objectively good or bad, I'm just saying they are popular and a lot of people think they're good.

Exactly.

For all the crazy amounts of love the TLOU gets, its one of the least original things I have ever played - damn near rips off every single zombie-related piece of media ever made. But it executes its story and gameplay to near perfection.

Squire

Banned
Eh, not that much of a strength.

Cage is a hack.
Ueda can barely get a game out every ten years.
Naughty Dog is pretty good at their best.
Frank Darabont did in 2011 whatever Days Gone thinks it's doing now.
I'll be pleasantly surprised if GoWs story is as competent as it wants to be.

At this point the most meaningful, well-done storytelling is happening in indie games (which they've backed off of) and a few niche Japanese titles/series.

Don't oversell yourselves.

Floody

Warhawk was very popular, LBP was very popular, TLoU's multiplayer was very popular, they don't throw around half assed GaaS games. Who cares about competing with third parties. Your already competing with them on SP games, not to mention specific genres alone.

I imagine TLoU 2 will be similar like Uncharted 4 was.
LBP3 wasn't well received on PS4, so it's not like they didn't try with that.
Warhawk on PS4 could do well as would something like a SOCOM game, but Sony don't seem to care about them and I don't think either would have a SP part if they did.

Instead of competing directly with GTA Online, Destiny, Overwatch, Siege, ect, Sony seem to be going for more of a complement to them instead. And it seems to be working great, pretty much all their SP games have been selling better than ever.

AALLx

Another thing I really appreciate is that sometimes, Sony develops/publishes games just for the artistic/cultural value of it, or as a love letter to fans, regardless of whether the game would sell well or not. Otherwise, how would you explain Gravity Rush getting a sequel, or The Last Guardian coming out after a really long delay. And then there's smaller stuff like Rain, Puppeteer, Tokyo Jungle, etc. They treat their games as art just as much as a product/service.

entremet

Another thing I really appreciate is that sometimes, Sony develops/publishes games just for the artistic/cultural value of it, or as a love letter to fans, regardless of whether the game would sell well or not. Otherwise, how would you explain Gravity Rush getting a sequel, or The Last Guardian coming out after a really long delay. And then there's smaller stuff like Rain, Puppeteer, Tokyo Jungle, etc. They treat their games as art just as much as a product/service.

Pretty sure they're looking to make money on those titles. They're just able to take this risk as a platform holder--they have alternate revenue streams.

But I do like that about them. But they're not just making them for art reasons.

Felt bad they sent Puppeteer to die on PS3. Should've been a PS4 launch title instead of that Knack atrocity.

bigjig

Sony for that great story games.

Nintendo for that pure gameplay

PC for anything else

Yup perfect combo. With most big budget games shifting towards GaaS garbage, by keeping a story-driven single player focus Sony has kinda stumbled onto a great USP

Nev

Banned
I mean, who cares about gameplay right? Cinematic experiencesss y'all.

You can keep them. TLOU 2 is already dead to me. First one had way too much gameplay for a ND game, the downgrade will be a painful thing I'll gladly avoid experiencing at full price.

I'd give 2 million dollars to Druckmann so he can start his own company and then I'd bring Amy back. He can team up with Chinese Room and create cinematic press forward walking simulators to their heart's content, but at least he wouldn't be using Naughty Dog's astronomical budget and talent for his pretentious gameplay-lacking experiences.

Breakage

Probably explains why I drifted to the 360 last gen. Uncharted, The Last of Us, David Cage games, etc don't do anything for me.

Warhawk on PS4 could do well as would something like a SOCOM game, but Sony don't seem to care about them and I don't think either would have a SP part if they did.

Instead of competing directly with GTA Online, Destiny, Overwatch, Siege, ect, Sony seem to be going for more of a complement to them instead. And it seems to be working great, pretty much all their SP games have been selling better than ever.

Do you doubt if they made a GaaS it wouldn't sell? Isn't part of buying a Playstation exclusive is to have that Sony experience?

ByWatterson

GAAS is where a large part of the industry is headed, making Worldwide Studios' efforts in the other direction - and Playstation as a platform - even more unique and attractive.

You can keep them. TLOU 2 is already dead to me. First one had way too much gameplay for a ND game, the downgrade will be a painful thing I'll gladly avoid experiencing at full price.

I'd give 2 million dollars to Druckmann so he can start his own company and then I'd bring Amy back. He can team up with Chinese Room and create cinematic press forward walking simulators to their heart's content, but at least he wouldn't be using Naughty Dog's astronomical budget and talent for his pretentious gameplay-lacking experiences.
Can't even do it right

While I love Sony's SP offerings, I truly do feel like their is a hole in my library when it comes to online multiplayer sometimes. Socom or even warhawk would really go a long way in giving me that staple Multiplayer experience that I always have to supplement my SP games. Unfortunately I haven't been a fan of a lot of the third party MP offerings this gen. Siege and overwatch have been good but not quite great for me.

Plum

I can commend Sony for being one of the few pubs/devs who still put out quality single-player experiences, but I do wish they'd branch out at least a little for their main tentpole titles and give more than just a remaster for their smaller franchises. This E3 we saw four cinematic third-person games with highly realistic graphics and an emotional story, It's kind of getting a tad dull even if, yes, they have some key differences. I'd liken it to Nintendo and their 2D platformers; if we weren't getting games like Xenoblade 2, Arms, Splatoon 2, etc I'd be saying the exact same thing about their first and second party output.

Huh.

You know, you can be cinematic and be fun. Many games do that.

Floody

Do you doubt if they made a GaaS it wouldn't sell? Isn't part of buying a Playstation exclusive is to have that Sony experience?

Their track record this gen hasn't been all that good. DriveClub was probably their best attempt at a only GaaS game and that ended with the studio being sold.
LBP3 bombed, the 3 San Diego games bombed (Killstrain, Guns Up and Drawn to Death) and not made by them, but SF5 bombed too.
GT Sport will probably do really well and like I said I think a good SOCOM game would do well too, but getting one doesn't seem likely.

While I love Sony's SP offerings, I truly do feel like their is a hole in my library when it comes to online multiplayer sometimes. Socom or even warhawk would really go a long way in giving me that staple Multiplayer experience that I always have to supplement my SP games. Unfortunately I haven't been a fan of a lot of the third party MP offerings this gen. Siege and overwatch have been good but not quite great for me.

I don't disagree, it's definitely a void they could fill and please even more users. They even had the perfect studio to do it in Guerrilla Cambridge, but they fucked that up by shutting them down.

Top Bottom