• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shawn Layden: PlayStation's strengths are creating stories, characters, emotions

David___

Banned
Sony is smart, because they realize third parties will bring GaaS titles to their platform and their first party studios can focus on other things.

And most of the time they will bring in more revenue for them even if they had mild success with a 1st party GaaS simply due to the sheer size of the userbase that buys 3rd party

2kWHUnN.png

It's good for watching those 4K movies...

AudioEppa

SCE.

Huh.

Ayyy, I like it.

I feel the same. The homogenization of Sony's big releases to fit the Naughty Dog template hasn't been my favorite development, but I can't fault these studios for sticking to their internal strengths and delivering what the people want since they sell. The sensitivity from Sony fans when you point it out is amusing, though.

They're just buzzwords that the industry has leaned on time and time again. You heard pretty much the same from Bioware PR for the past decade or so.

I love when people point out Sony's games as copies of each other. I'm like yep, more games I'm interested in.

You'd love books more.

Books and Movies are beneath Sony WWS. Now that was a stupid reply to you. Now we are even.

It's interesting to know what is the core of Sony's first party publishing effort. However, I think the journalist is making some strange assumption of Service-base games.

First of all, what does sevice-base games even mean? Are these games inherently against stories, characters and emotions? I think the line between story-base and service-base games is not so cut and dry as the article implied.

Cant argue that. They've managed to create a diverse and strong bunch of characters in Kratos, Aloy, Nathan, Joel/Ellie, and Ratchet/Sackboy to lesser degrees.

But I hope they give us those multiplayer games like PU's Battleground. Games like that are what they need too.

They need to get a team on SOCOM too, because Rainbow 6 is proof they can make it there.

It's interesting to know what is the core of Sony's first party publishing effort. However, I think the journalist is making some strange assumption of Service-base games.

First of all, what does sevice-base games even mean? Are these games inherently against stories, characters and emotions? I think the line between story-base and service-base games is not so cut and dry as the article implied.

Service games are games with long post-launch support, DLC, free content, multiplayer usually.

Less emphasis on single player for those games. Destiny, Rainbow 6, Overwatch are all service based games.

I meant more in terms of monetization beyond just initial sale of the game. Seems like the type of game ripe for it.
Mobile game coming out soon too. More monetizing to be had there to keep the name alive as well

Cant argue that. They've managed to create a diverse and strong bunch of characters in Kratos, Aloy, Nathan, Joel/Ellie, and Ratchet/Sackboy to lesser degrees.

But I hope they give us those multiplayer games like PU's Battleground. Games like that are what they need too.

They need to get a team on SOCOM too, because Rainbow 6 is proof they can make it there.
Id love a new mag but they've tried with these games so many times they never stuck like there single players

MCD

Xbox is for coop games for me. MS is one of the few publishers still pushing for coop experience and I really appreciate that.

My reaction to Phil spencer saying that MS is focusing on GaaS was that it's what third parties are doing and I want first party to take the risks AAA third parties won't.

I guess I'm ok with Sony's stance as long as they're good games.

Muzin

Neo Member
It's okay to focus on your strengths, but I don't like how their games are all starting to look like the same game.

If you show someone a Days Gone footage you could easily pass it as The Last of Us spin off, a prequel to Horizon, a Uncharted going back to the supernatural DLC, and even GoW is being brought towards that (though in the specific case of GoW it was a very positive change thus far).

But I guess it works for them, helps sets the Ps4 apart, and the fans seems to like it, so I can't fault them for doubling down on that.

Why am I not surprised

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Sony are releasing quite a lot of first-party stuff along these lines right now (single-player, story-driven, cinematic), and it's great! But honestly, I always thought the main draw of the PlayStation brand was the wide variety of genres and experiences in the available library of games.

RedAssedApe

Banned
lol No. psn maintenance says Hi.
Maintenance due to ddos attacks? Sure they could improve on that front. I think they've held up alright the last couple of holiday rushes.

But from a general gameplay experience while you're online? No I personally don't really see any neglible performance advantages of xbl over psn like I did during PS3 v 360. Then again I don't play online as much as I used to so maybe I don't deserve a hottake. :)

This is why I love sony. I like their attention towards single player, story and emotional driven adventure experiences with great characters and diversity. I will quit the gaming when I see this no more.

Caronte

This is something I've been thinking for a while. In the past it seemed that Sony wanted as many different genres as possible in their portfolio, something for everybody. Which led to many of their games being failures.

Now it looks like they are focusing a bit more on a specific type of game, while their third party deals do the rest.

I think it's been working pretty well so far.

Sony are releasing quite a lot of first-party stuff along these lines right now (single-player, story-driven, cinematic), and it's great! But honestly, I always thought the main draw of the PlayStation brand was the wide variety of genres and experiences in the available library of games.

We don't have Wipeout anymore and who knows what's going on with Media Molecule. Would be nice to have these types of games in addition to their big AAA titles

RSchmitz

Sony first party is the only reason I still buy a console.
Some games like Detroit though are too story focused for me, I like the mix.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I like the idea that owning all 3 consoles means you get something different from each one.

No idea why everyone wants Microsoft to be like Sony. Let Sony do their thinng and Microsoft do theirs. You want single payer story driven games? Go buy a PlayStation rather than expecting Microsoft to make one that won't sell on their platform anyway.

I don't agree that the PlayStation's DNA is in story-driven, cinematic experiences. That's just Naughty Dog's DNA, and that only started with the PS3. The PS1 and PS2 did quite well with just giving us great videogames of all kinds.

entremet

I don't agree that the PlayStation's DNA is in story-driven, cinematic experiences. That's just Naughty Dog's DNA, and that only started with the PS3. The PS1 and PS2 did quite well with just giving us great videogames of all kinds.

I will agree here. ND has had a huge influence of late. Dad of War is a good example of this.

I've always preferred Ape Escape, Everybody's Golf, Wipeout, and Jumping Flash as my favorite Sony franchises. I wouldn't call any of them emotion or character driven.

Online play on both platforms is largely the same experience now. Xbl doesn't have the same advantages it had last generation.

Other than some rare downtime here and there on downloads, i agree. PSN is a legit service now. I used to say Live is better but it's hard to say that today with a straight face. I've been using my PS4 a lot recently after my honeymoon period is pretty much done with the Switch and yeah, PSN's great, PS Store deals are even better.

JOKERACN7

Characters? maybe.

But Videogames can't compete with Cinema when it comes to storytelling and writing, so obviously they don't impress me in this department anymore, so I still think gameplay should be their top priority.
The only exception in recent memory is The Witcher 3 for me, this game is worth playing just for its writing, storytelling, and characters, and of course, Mass Effect 2 remains the best in this regard.

Service games are games with long post-launch support, DLC, free content, multiplayer usually.

Less emphasis on single player for those games. Destiny, Rainbow 6, Overwatch are all service based games.

I don't disagree. I still think this kind of games can convey emotion and character building though. SquareEnix is pitching ffxv as service-base game and it has some good characters. Watchdogs 2 has excellent characters yet it's handled like a service. The

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
We don't have Wipeout anymore and who knows what's going on with Media Molecule. Would be nice to have these types of games in addition to their big AAA titles

Dreams could still turn out. Time will tell.

WipeOut is a shame, I know people loved that franchise, but we did get the re-master/re-make/re-release (whatever you want to call it!) of the HD games this year. And Gran Turismo is still the PlayStation's big racing title.

blakep267

I like the idea that owning all 3 consoles means you get something different from each one.

No idea why everyone wants Microsoft to be like Sony. Let Sony do their thinng and Microsoft do theirs. You want single payer story driven games? Go buy a PlayStation rather than expecting Microsoft to make one that won't sell on their platform anyway.
I say this same thing when I go into the Microsoft studios and partners thread. Like what some people are asking for, is pretty much PlayStation territory. It's weird to me. I wouldn't buy a PS4 and wish for multiplayer experiences

I will agree here. ND has had a huge influence of late. Dad of War is a good example of this.

I've always preferred Ape Escape, Everybody's Golf, and Jumping Flash as my favorite Sony franchises. I wouldn't call any of them emotion or character driven.

I really don't think that is the cast I mean GOW always had story .
GOW has over 2 hours of cutscenes .
They always had both even from PS1 days when they used to do Jrpgs .

Eria

Other than some rare downtime here and there on downloads, i agree. PSN is a legit service now. I used to say Live is better but it's hard to say that today with a straight face. I've been using my PS4 a lot recently after my honeymoon period is pretty much done with the Switch and yeah, PSN's great, PS Store deals are even better.

I dont have a downtime since christmas 2015...

What they are saying isn't much different than something like Nintendo creating "games for fun and to make people smile".

They have their bread and butter, but Sony also has games like Gran Turismo, MLB, Dreams, etc.... Heck, Knack 2 is looking pretty sweet as well.

It'd be really nice if they could expand into areas like JRPGs, family games (where is Puppeteer 2!), and genres like that, but they definitely have a vast portfolio of tastes.

Top Bottom