• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue 1-2 coming to PS4/Xbox One ?

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I believe Backbone entertainment did a presentation on preserving games?

It absolutely should be; videogame is an artform and for future generation of developers, many of these games should be rereleased for current gen systems. Shenmue, Bayonetta, and Vanquish definitely.

Please hold me

giphy.gif

In before Segac saying they're "invesigating the possibility of Shenmue HD ports" for the 20th time.

Unless I've missed some seriously recently and solid news o.o?

These posts are sarcasm right? Gotta be!

There were reports after the Shenmue Remastered domains registered by Sega Europe back in January by a source close to Atlus revealing a 2017 release. The HD ports of Shenmue have been around since a Shenmue II remaster appeared on Microsoft Partnernet in 2010.

PGW is certainly possible, but it's more of a corporate event. For something really geared towards fans and the gamer in general, PSX would be the more appropriate avenue for such an announcement. You don't get more 'crowd-pleasing' than a Shenmue HD drop, and given the amount of Yakuza localisations shown on stage in the past, I could see it happening.

But whatever. I just want the damn thing announced wherever.

Since when? Sony's Euro conferences always had a ton of indie/AA announcements. I'm not sure why anyone would guess PSX or PGW before TGS though.

Anyway, I think that website is about as reliable as Tidux (not reliable at all) so while I'm sure we'll get remasters of both games, I don't think these listings are a sign of anything.

PLEASE! Just...PLEASE!

EXTj0Vr.jpg

More people need to experience both of these masterpieces. They're criminally underrated on GAF and deserve so much more love.

I believe Backbone entertainment did a presentation on preserving games?

It absolutely should be; videogame is an artform and for future generation of developers, many of these games should be rereleased for current gen systems. Shenmue, Bayonetta, and Vanquish definitely.
Putting these games on PC pretty much takes care of all of that.

I an all for this. I want to experience these games. Not that buying a Dreamcast with a copy of Shenmue 1 and 2 is that expensive, but I would prefer to play an updated version.

I an all for this. I want to experience these games. Not that buying a Dreamcast with a copy of Shenmue 1 and 2 is that expensive, but I would prefer to play an updated version.
Unless you can read Japanese you actually need a DC for Shenmue 1 and an OG Xbox for Shenmue 2.

These games need an HD port.

Unless you can read Japanese you actually need a DC for Shenmue 1 and an OG Xbox for Shenmue 2.

These games need an HD port.

Shemue 2 came out in Europe. The Shenmue 1+2 packs on Gumtree/eBay aren't too expensive. It was plan to buy a Dreamcast and play them this year but I had a feeling I should wait because I could "feel" a HD re-release coming.

eso76

Damn, someone already posted that "most reliable e-shop" pic :(

The rumors have been floating around for so long, devs have been hinting at it, Sega itself said they are "actively working" on making it happen..
My opinion is the remasters have been in the works for a while or even done at this point and Sega just needs to a) fix all the licensing stuff b) wait for the right time to make the announcement

There's no doubt they're coming at some point i think.
Would be cool if they had been remade in UE4 and Sega and Yu Suzuki could share assets between the remakes and Shenmue 3.

I remember an article soon after Shenmue 3 was announced that a Xbox version wasn't impossible. So that would mean it's not a PS4 console exclusive. Never heard anything about it ever since though.

I remember an article soon after Shenmue 3 was announced that a Xbox version wasn't impossible. So that would mean it's not a PS4 console exclusive. Never heard anything about it ever since though.

I guess it depends on the deal Sony has with the developer. They party funded the game, so seems like they would want it as an exclusive but you never know with these deals, as companies never openly talk about them.

It could be like the Street Fighter 5 or Bayonetta 2 deal, making it exclusive and a bit of a kick in the nuts to Xbox only gamers who can't play part 3, if these remasters are real. A bit like a reverse Kingdom Hearts situation, where Xbox owners are getting Kingdom Hearts 3 but haven't got the original games.

I guess it depends on the deal Sony has with the developer. They party funded the game, so seems like they would want it as an exclusive but you never know with these deals, as companies never openly talk about them.

It could be like the Street Fighter 5 or Bayonetta 2 deal, making it exclusive and a bit of a kick in the nuts to Xbox only gamers who can't play part 3, if these remasters are real. A bit like a reverse Kingdom Hearts situation, where Xbox owners are getting Kingdom Hearts 3 but haven't got the original games.

I found the article I was talking about.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gamerant.com/shenmue-3-xbox-one-444/amp/

Guess we'll just have to wait and see. First let's see it release on PS4. Right now it's planned for next year right?

shiyrley

Banned
Afraid not. I'm a big Shenmue fan and I'll say that the game play of 1-2 might even put newcomers off of Shenmue 3 :/
Dunno man. I bought and played 1 while the 3 kickstarter was going on (emulated), loved it, bought and started 2 (original Xbox), loved it even more, paid the kickstarter for the physical PC version, and ended up loving 2 even more when I finished it. And I'm pretty young (21)

They should DEFINITELY release remasters BEFORE the Slacker Backer campaign is over... (if it ever ends lol)

cantona222

I beat Shenmue 1 on the dreamcast and never played 2. It would be great to play 2 since I paid for the kickstarted for Shenmue 3.

I found the article I was talking about.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gamerant.com/shenmue-3-xbox-one-444/amp/

Guess we'll just have to wait and see. First let's see it release on PS4. Right now it's planned for next year right?

From the GameRant article -
Although Suzuki has plans with Sony, it looks as though there could be a chance that the title will make its way onto the Xbox One. When questioned on the issue in a recent interview, Suzuki urged fans to ”use their imagination" on whether any discussions had taken place with Microsoft.

That is not teasing any Xbox One plans. The question asked in the interview refers to previous contact with Microsoft regarding auspicious social media postings.

From the Dualshockers interview -
G: Xbox executives talked about Shenmue quite a bit in the past over social media, and that's why I was quite surprised to see the deal with Sony. I honestly expected to see you appear on Microsoft's stage at E3. Was there any contact with Microsoft in the past year about making the game for their console?

YS: I'll let you use your imagination on this one (laughs).

Though it may have been a possibility at one point when it appeared Microsoft had been in contact with Suzuki, as of today, there are no plans to bring the 3rd title to Xbox one.

That GameRant articles title is clickbait at best - inaccurate at worst.

Nope.
Not going to believe it.
Having hope means that there is a chance that it will get crushed.

Are you implying that ports of the original titles is harder to believe than the third title existing at all?

Zombine

Banned
I have never played either one of these games so it would be awesome if they did release something for current gen hardware/pc.

KageMaru

Sony never partly funded Shenmue. IIRC they were supposed to provide marketing and technical support. This wouldn't be any different than what we see with PUBG on the Xbox and we know that'll eventually land on the PS4. Not saying any of this guarantees Shenmue 3 will end up on the Xbox, but the Sony deal shouldn't be what prevents it.

Lol. Exactly how I felt/feel.

What's wrong with a group of gamers legit being excited for a game announcement they've wait 16 years for?

Has Shenmue aged well?

Some will say yes while others will say no. Outside of free battle, the controls are a bit dates but it still plays well IMO.

Top Bottom