• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

UltraJay

There's doom-and-gloomers with the campaign only halfway through? Do they not realize that Shenmue 3 is already one of the highest funded game Kickstarters with one of the highest initial goals? It's about to overtake Mighty No. 9 as the 4th biggest videogame Kickstarter.

1: Bloodstained - 5.55M
2: Torment - 4.19M
3: Pillars - 3.99M
4: Mighty No. 9 - 3.85M
5: Shenmue 3 - 3.78M

About Shenmue 2's audio... I like the Japanese but I'm all for authenticity (I watched the dub of Baccano because it was set in Boston). Shemue 2 takes place in Hong Kong - not Japan - and there is NO way they'd be speaking Japanese. English is more believable. Japanese in China is a "Germans speaking English with German accents in a WW2 movie" type situation. I would of played the undub of Shenmue 1 but the files differ so much between the JP and PAL versions that most Free Quest dialogue is silent or with the wrong Japanese audio.

adamma666

I think we are close to reaching saturation point in terms of numbers of backers. All the hardcore fans are already onboard and this is a game that would have limited appeal to newcomers.

I don't know for the sake of it why they aren't adding PayPal support ASAP. Creditcards are not as established in europe as they are elsewhere and I am sure there is at least some cash to be made. What is taking them so long?

Spaghetti

I don't know for the sake of it why they aren't adding PayPal support ASAP. Creditcards are not as established in europe as they are elsewhere and I am sure there is at least some cash to be made. What is taking them so long?
i've got to ask, what about debit cards? surely those are commonplace in mainland europe.

Polari

I think we are close to reaching saturation point in terms of numbers of backers. All the hardcore fans are already onboard and this is a game that would have limited appeal to newcomers. Plus, it has already received a lot of press coverage now so I just don't think there are a whole lot of potential new backers out there. I'm changing my prediction from $5m+ to $4m-$4.5,

I think between $4.5m and $5m is likely, unless they add a physical PS4 version which should see a fair few of those 27,500 odd backers at $29 raise their pledges. They really fucked up by not having that from the start, and by not being upfront about the stretch goals.

Irvana

I think with current dynamic, Shenmue will hit the second place at the end of the campaign.
We really need a "megaton" to boost the perspective.

What about this guy teasing a "coming soon" big news yesterday on Twitter ?

Alx

i've got to ask, what about debit cards? surely those are commonplace in mainland europe.

As a matter of fact, everybody I know in Europe has a credit card (I don't know where that "creditcards are not as established in europe" idea comes from), but I'm not even sure they know what a debit card is. I think my sister had one as a teen, because she was too young to have a CC.

openrob

i think $4 million is closer than that. if everything aligns and 30 on the 3rd goes okay, along with new tiers and whatnot, 4 mill is in the bag by sunday.

new artwork from suzuki too:

https://twitter.com/yu_suzuki_jp/status/616148517086572544

CIz_zrVUsAECpaI.jpg

From my Shenmue pilgrimage:
14939377599_89e8c6cc29_h.jpg

http://venturebeat.com/community/2014/09/07/shenmue-a-gamers-pilgrimage/2/

Spaghetti

here's some advice for everybody:

don't look at the KS page anymore. just follow kicktraq instead. seeing hourly updates instead of the constant up and down slide has done wonders for me.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
There's doom-and-gloomers with the campaign only halfway through? Do they not realize that Shenmue 3 is already one of the highest funded game Kickstarters with one of the highest initial goals? It's about to overtake Mighty No. 9 as the 4th biggest videogame Kickstarter.

About Shenmue 2's audio... I like the Japanese but I'm all for authenticity (I watched the dub of Baccano because it was set in Boston). Shemue 2 takes place in Hong Kong - not Japan - and there is NO way they'd be speaking Japanese. English is more believable. Japanese in China is a "Germans speaking English with German accents in a WW2 movie" type situation. I would of played the undub of Shenmue 1 but the files differ so much between the JP and PAL versions that most Free Quest dialogue is silent or with the wrong Japanese audio.
Did you watch the Italian dub of Gladiator?

master15

Some eagle eyed observes noted there is a new $1000 pledge:

Pledge $1,000 or more

RYO VOICE MESSAGE BY COREY MARSHALL

Corey Marshall, the English voice actor who plays the main character Ryo in Shenmue 1 & 2, will do a special voice message for you as Ryo.

Includes the $500 Reward.

I hope this wasn't necessarily what Cedric was referring to.

Bashtee

New update.

Hello Everyone!

Just in! Corey Marshall, the actor who did the English voice acting for the main character Ryo in Shenmue 1 & 2, is now confirmed for Shenmue 3!

The support for Mr. Marshall to reprise his role as Ryo has been just overwhelming!

We would all like to thank Corey-san for coming back, and especially for all the support he has given to Shenmue over the years.

Corey is as excited for Shenmue's return as we all are, and to help out, he has magnanimously offered his voice for a special reward. Yes, that's right--get a personal message from Ryo! Do not miss this opportunity to get a very special message from Ryo himself. Maybe one those classic Ryo one-liners?

The $1,000 Reward for the Corey Marshall as Ryo Voice Message will include the $500 Reward. The Ryo Voice Message will also be included in the Rewards for $2,000 and up.

Still ahead later this week we have some highly anticipated Rewards in the works and almost ready to go up, so keep it here!

What's Shenmue?

The finishing touches are being put on the new video to help spread the good word of Shenmue. There have been lots of great ideas and fan videos already out there and we would like to use them all if we could! But we have some great footage on the way to let everyone know about our favorite video game of all time.

#SaveShenmue Tweetathon on Twitter on the 3rd!

Every third of the month has traditionally been the day to show your support for Shenmue 3.

To celebrate the final??? #SaveShenmue Tweetathon, this Friday, the 3rd of July, Yu Suzuki will be joining in to Tweet along with you!

#YouaskYu

As part of the festivities, he will also be taking questions this week to be answered Friday the 3rd July 2015, 7:00PM PDT. From your Twitter account, you canTweet to Yu Suzuki by including the hashtag #YouaskYu in your message along with your question.

Get your unanswered questions answered by Yu Suzuki! See you there!

Yes! So happy about this! I am confident that Corey can do a great job with proper direction.

This combined with the news of more rewards this week makes me very happy :)

Yeah, new update sounds promising. Corey back, new tiers coming soon, new Shenmue video to focus on what the game is and a q&a with Yu again. Nice.

Backflip

That's awesome! Glad he's back. Pretty sure this must be the update Cedric was referring to.

I'm not so sure about that. Read the full update. Besides, Cédric is French, and I believe that most people who come from non-English speaking countries don't care all that much about Ryo's English voice.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I agree. I am trying not to be cynical about the campaign like many around these parts. Having Corey Marshall back essentially means that English VO is a go! This is pretty huge for accessibility alone, as there are many out there who will not play a game with subtitles, period.

Continuity of character is important, too. Hope they get Ren and Lan Di's guys back, too. I really enjoyed their voices and styles.

This is good for Shenmue, whether you will play in Japanese or not, be happy about this! It surely wont hurt us getting a Shenmue IV and V. :p

I'm not so sure about that. Read the full update. Besides, Cédric is French, and I believe that most people who come from non-English speaking countries don't care all that much about Ryo's English voice.

Yeah I have. Only saw the tweet and not the update when I posted that. I don't think Cedric being French has much to do with it. He knows a lot of people wanted Corey back so to him it may be considered an interesting update for the campaign. Looking forward to the other tiers though.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Yea the delivery was flat, yea he sounded monotone half the time, but goddamnit Corey is Ryo to me. Right in my veins.

What does the reward mean, he will do a special voice message for you?
Like a phone message IRL or what?

I think the way these work is you'll send him a short message text you want him to say, then they send the recording in a MP3. From there it's up to you how you want to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom