• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be nice if they could confirm if the voice-actors of the two best girls in Shenmue would return. ;)

Lisle Wilkerson who voiced both Joy and Xiuying. <3

Sorry, Nozomi. School friends ain't my thing. :p

Pantz

He will record something of your choice for you. Not sure if it will include the words Nozomi wants to hear though.

Ohh thanks. My imagination got the better of me thinking it might be something in-game like a secret phone number you can call to hear your message in the game...nevermind.

For more imagination, if it was Nozomi's voice actress sending me a personal message... I'd be really up for that!!

Not officially part of the campaign, but that sounds like good news that they are all getting together?

It could, or could not necessarily mean anything. I would not be surprised, now that Corey has been announced, if they ask Eric and Lisle if they have been contacted at all.

Either way, another thing to help keep Shenmue fans excited!

I know at this point that we really need to appeal to new people, but it sounds like Awesome Japan finally is getting around to that.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I wonder how they'll handle the script and delivery though, ie how far are they going to take the nostalgia? I mean, I understand Corey Marshall is very much a nostalgia thing, but I can't imagine they would get away with the same stale, monotone delivery as they did 15 years ago (unless you're a die hard Shenmue fan who wants everything exactly the same). Even back then, it was kind of laughable at times (while charming in a way).

I wonder how they'll handle the script and delivery though, ie how far are they going to take the nostalgia? I mean, I understand Corey Marshall is very much a nostalgia thing, but I can't imagine they would get away with the same stale, monotone delivery as they did 15 years ago (unless you're a die hard Shenmue fan who wants everything exactly the same). Even back then, it was kind of laughable at times (while charming in a way).

I'm all for everyone coming back to do voice acting, but they need to do a better job this time. Shitty voice acting won't cut it.

Spaghetti

what we've got to remember is that shenmue and shenmue II were on the frontier of voice acting in games, with a cast of unprecedented size.

in 2015 (or 16/17, depending on when they record it), i don't think we're going to see the same problems as we did in 2000 and 2002.

we should probably ask about localisation though. i'm crossing my fingers that 8-4 are involved, seeing how they already have connections with yu suzuki.

Why are you OK with shitty voice acting?

I don't believe anyone that says that, somehow, all 200+ voice actors in both Shenmue games were awful at their job. There has been a lot of new information over the years that points to poor voice direction. I doubt that they will let that happen again.

Look at Metal Gear Solid. Everyone loves David Hayter's performance in that, but hates it in Peace Walker. I can't remember what it was (very sorry, having a mindblank), but he very recently did a role that was basically the MGS1 Snake voice, and it sounded just as good as it always was.

Even Troy Baker or Nolan North would sound bad depending on the voice direction.

EDIT: I might have misunderstood Shinobi's post that you responded to. If it was referencing being okay with the QUALITY of the voice acting rather than the voice actors themselves, then, yes, I do agree.

Why are you OK with shitty voice acting?
The subpar voice acting is part of the charm of the series to me. I have no qualms with saying the VO was definitely not good, but the first two games hold such a special place in my heart in the exact form I played them, and that was with the English dub. The cheesy old ladies, the funny sounding Mad Angels, Tommy and his cringeworthy delivery, and especially Ryo's good ol' one liners. So I'd be fine if the VO stayed the same, but that most likely wouldn't fly at all with newcomers to the series so I'm all for better voice direction.

Spaghetti

jeremy blaustein's account of the shenmue dub easily pinpoints these problems:

1. too many translators
2. not enough time
3. done in japan with non-english speakers directing the lines and implementing the takes

points 2 and 3 are as good as addressed. they're not going to fly corey marshall out to japan all the time or pay for him to live there for the duration of the recording, and english VO is a priority from the start.

so long as they've got one good and consistent translation team working on shenmue 3 we'll be fine.

Heartfyre

jeremy blaustein's account of the shenmue dub easily pinpoints these problems:

1. too many translators
2. not enough time
3. done in japan with non-english speakers directing the lines and implementing the takes

points 2 and 3 are as good as addressed. they're not going to fly corey marshall out to japan all the time or pay for him to live there for the duration of the recording, and english VO is a priority from the start.

so long as they've got one good and consistent translation team working on shenmue 3 we'll be fine.

To be fair, without the kind of budget that Sega would throw at Shenmue in the past and with only the Kickstarter money to go on, the first point is effectively addressed as well.

Spaghetti

To be fair, without the kind of budget that Sega would throw at Shenmue in the past and with only the Kickstarter money to go on, the first point is effectively addressed as well.
also true

i don't think the video on the KS page is a good demonstration of the quality we'll get either. that was obviously thrown together with non-actors or just cheap, bad actors living in japan.

they say japan is where english voice actors go if they're so bad they can't even get a job in english speaking countries.

The thing about the English Dub is not that it's dull, it's that is is actually very strange. You have these long drawn out words and pauses. Some actors are underselling and overselling lines within the same dialogue chain. Corey Marshall clearly had the toughest job and repeating similar lines over and over led to his dull delivery at times. But I'd say he was actually pretty good. Ryo is a fairly stoic character. He rarely didn't want to give away too much of his emotional state but he wanted to get information. So he should have this direct and flat kind of delivery, at least when talking to people. When he needed to emote, Corey did a fine job, especially considering what we know about the process.

John St John is Duke Nukem and will always be just as Corey Marshall is Ryo Hazuki. I'm happy for this announcement. Hopefully Corey makes a video response.

The subpar voice acting is part of the charm of the series to me. I have no qualms with saying the VO was definitely not good, but the first two games hold such a special place in my heart in the exact form I played them, and that was with the English dub. The cheesy old ladies, the funny sounding Mad Angels, Tommy and his cringeworthy delivery, and especially Ryo's good ol' one liners. So I'd be fine if the VO stayed the same, but that most likely wouldn't fly at all with newcomers to the series so I'm all for better voice direction.

See, I agree with you when you say the bad voice acting was part of the charm for Shenmue I and II, but that was in a time when dubs were still all over the place in quality for games. How many big games now days have bad voice acting? Pretty much none. It would just stick out too much by today's standards with graphics and presentation, and to be fair - Shenmue III totally deserves good voice acting. It would enhance the experience so much more than if it had cheesy voice acting.

With better direction, I have no doubt the old cast can do a much better job if they all return. And honestly, Corey isn't even that bad and could potentially be great with better direction and more time.

Spaghetti

The thing about the English Dub is not that it's dull, it's that is is actually very strange. You have these long drawn out words and pauses. Some actors are underselling and overselling lines within the same dialogue chain. Corey Marshall clearly had the toughest job and repeating similar lines over and over led to his dull delivery at times. But I'd say he was actually pretty good. Ryo is a fairly stoic character. He rarely didn't want to give away too much of his emotional state but he wanted to get information. So he should have this direct and flat kind of delivery, at least when talking to people. When he needed to emote, Corey did a fine job, especially considering what we know about the process.
the original resident evil had the same problem. non-english speakers giving direction without knowing about proper inflection or the rhythm of speech. then non-english speaking sound engineers picking presumably bad takes to put into the final game.

danwarb

Just compare Ryo to NPCs in Shenmue. There was clearly something amiss aside from the talent. All were odd.

Still, Ryo was fine. I think Lan Di had a good voice too. I'd expect the overall voice acting standard a improve a lot.

ajim

Here's Corey in a starring role in a music video by the "Old 97's". Starring alongside what's her face from Battlestar Galactica. (I never watched that show)

https://youtu.be/DDDyD0Hj5n0

Here he is playing Liam Neeson's part in a stage version of Batman Begins.

https://youtu.be/4lW7cTQNAH4
His wife seems adorable from the YT comments:

" Dezzi The SECULAR Humanist Shared on Google+ · 1 year ago
Happy birthday to my wonderful husband, +Corey Marshall.

You're amazing, not just because you look so cool doing sword fights, can throw yourself off 30-foot towers on cue, kick tae kwon do butt, do a ballet routine from The Nutcracker, watch Dancing With The Stars and So You Can Dance with me, wear the pretty pink bows - in public- that your daughter puts in your hair, and are the voice of one of the best-loved Sega video game characters of all time, but because you are a beautiful person, inside and out."

Backflip

See, I agree with you when you say the bad voice acting was part of the charm for Shenmue I and II, but that was in a time when dubs were still all over the place in quality for games. How many big games now days have bad voice acting? Pretty much none. It would just stick out too much by today's standards with graphics and presentation, and to be fair - Shenmue III totally deserves good voice acting. It would enhance the experience so much more than if it had cheesy voice acting.

With better direction, I have no doubt the old cast can do a much better job if they all return. And honestly, Corey isn't even that bad and could potentially be great with better direction and more time.

I completely agree with you. That being said, I started playing Shenmue I again yesterday and Corey is far from the worst actor in the game. I truly hope that Shenmue III will have good voice acting. Shenmue I and II's voice acting won't fly in 2017.

Spaghetti

Here's Corey in a starring role in a music video by the "Old 97's". Starring alongside what's her face from Battlestar Galactica. (I never watched that show)

https://youtu.be/DDDyD0Hj5n0

Here he is playing Liam Neeson's part in a stage version of Batman Begins.

https://youtu.be/4lW7cTQNAH4
that music video is pretty good

i wonder if there are any nightclubs in chobu? it'd be fun to see ryo fight his way through a dancefloor of goons.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Yea the delivery was flat, yea he sounded monotone half the time, but goddamnit Corey is Ryo to me. Right in my veins.

Yep, same here. I own the original on my DC and I have the Xbox version for Shenmue II so the english dubs are all that I know for Shenmue, I've never played with the Japanese voices on. Corey is Ryo to me.

I should replay both games with the Japanese voices on just to experience it. I don't even remember if the Xbox version has a Japanese voice track on it, lol.

I just recently played through Shenmue I and did the QTE in the warehouse in the harbor where the final move is a Double Blow against the guy.

In watching videos this morning of the QTEs, I never noticed that if you didn't train the move (or of course, somehow missed getting it), you simply upper-cut/gut-punch the guy.

I love Shenmue for the little things like that :) I'll try to find a video after work showing the difference.

I don't know if I should donate, since I haven't played a Shenmue game before.

Shenmue is basically Sega's mangum opus. It epitomizes everything that is great about Sega condensed into one Kung-Fu epic. If you have any attachment to Sega at all, and with a name like that it's hard to tell, it's definitely worth backing at $29 because the game will be twice that when released.

Spaghetti

FF VII
FF VI
FF IX
Ico
Shadow of the Colossus
Uncharted 2
TLoU
Rayman Origins
Chrono Trigger
Bloodborne
Valkyria Chronicles
hm...

you might like it. there's nothing quite like shenmue out there (ignore all heavy rain and yakuza comparisons because they're wrong), but if you can deal with ico and shadow of the colossus' unconventional natures, you can definitely get along with shenmue.

i mean for $29 it's a steal anyway.

bidguy

Banned
I don't know if I should donate, since I haven't played a Shenmue game before.

you should probably keep your money if you never played it. the die hard fans are gonna urge you to buy it anyways so dont listen to them

might want to watch some videos or play the older games. i dont think this one is going to be drastically different so the previous titles should be enough to make up your mind

Is it bad if I compare Shenmue to LA Noire?

It's not a bad comparison, from a gameplay and pacing standpoint. While both games have their action moments, the games don't try to force action sequences where they don't make sense from a character or setting perspective and much of your interaction is in dialogue and immersion in the world that feels grounded in real life.

LA Noire's case based structure gives it a slighty more gamey framework and of course it has the big sprawling open world, although a lot of it is really window dressing, but I can see where you are coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom