• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 Kickstarter (PC/PS4) Thread 2: New KS Record at $6.3m

synce

I read the original Shenmue cost sega tens of millions of dollars to make. How is Shenmue 3 being made off a kickstarter that made 6ish million dollars? I hope this game is a humongous success and feels like a Dreamcast game

Shenmue was groundbreaking when it released... I imagine Shenmue 3 is more like a port of an old game.

Honestly I would've loved if they used the same engine and graphics style as the first two games instead of trying to polish it up for new gamers, it might've left them more time and money for actual content

Spaghetti

Dojo is DEAD
Getting worked on, should be up in a little while again.

In the meantime: https://www.twitch.tv/shenmuedojo

In around an hour the stream will start with a playthrough of What's Shenmue, then switch to PSX plus live reactions.

I read the original Shenmue cost sega tens of millions of dollars to make. How is Shenmue 3 being made off a kickstarter that made 6ish million dollars? I hope this game is a humongous success and feels like a Dreamcast game
The original budget was the cost of both Shenmue games, plus the Saturn iteration that got scrapped for the Dreamcast. A lot of the money went into designing bespoke software for game elements that had never really existed before, or never existed with such a level of sophistication. Basically everything that made Shenmue a marvel at the time is easily done within an off-the-shelf game engine like UE4, and therefore plenty cheaper.

Shenmue III was always meant to be a game that grew inwards rather than outwards in scope and size (according to an interview with Yu Suzuki way, way before the Kickstarter), which I think makes it a good fit for a crowdfunded game.

And y'know, there is other money coming to the project. Co-Producers of the game Shibuya Productions are the major investor, outside Kickstarter funds.

They had to develop their own engine on Dreamcast, that costs a lot. They are using Unreal for S3. Shenmue 1 & 2 were basically developed at the same time. So the tens of millions of dollars was for both games.

A lot design and story for Shenmue 3 was done back in the day. YS knows what he is doing with S3, and he's had a decade to think about it. It also seems to be somewhat of smaller scale than 2. No to mention this is being done as an independent game. A lot of costs for AAA or major developers is that they have huge teams and large corporations to run. Less moving parts for YS is going to mean less day to day costs.

Shenmue was groundbreaking when it released... I imagine Shenmue 3 is more like a port of an old game.

Honestly I would've loved if they used the same engine and graphics style as the first two games instead of trying to polish it up for new gamers, it might've left them more time and money for actual content

Have you kept up with the development at all? I encourage you to look up some footage. It's using Unreal Engine 4 and while it won't be the most technically impressive game, it looks great.

The biggest single cost in game development tends to be employee wages. We don't know whether the code for the original engine still exists and how much effort would be required to get it running well on new platforms.

In addition to what everyone has already said, Sega used Shenmue's budget as a marketing gimmick. "Buy a Dreamcast so you can play the most ambitious game of all time." Shenmue's funding goes back to probably the '92-'93 era when Yu Suzuki was traveling to China and studying martial arts in order to build Virtua Fighter. It also invented a lot of things we take for granted now.

Think of it this way, you can get a decent microwave for 50-100 dollars now. It probably costs very little to build a decent resonance chamber and everything else needed to build one. But, when they first came out, there was no doubt millions of dollars worth of R&D to get the concept just right. Shenmue 1 and 2 were the original microwave -- clunky, expensive, and incredibly impressive technology -- and Shenmue 3 will be one released today: more advanced but a lot cheaper and less novel.

Spaghetti

Easily the biggest disappointment of the show. Was looking forward to the show this whole time just to catch some new Shenmue footage.
Yeah, I guess for one reason or another they just didn't think it was ready to put out there?

I still take solace that Peter over at the Shenmue Dojo said the trailer he saw at the Japan dinner in September looked amazing (which was cut in June!).

I guess the undue criticism of that super early pre-funding Kickstarter footage made the team super cautious with what they show, or in this case don't show. There's MAGIC 2017, but an E3 showing would be far better.

Thanks to everyone who answered my budget question from earlier in the day. I'm hoping this game is a total hit. Yu Suzuki's passion for this series brings a tear to my eye

Yeah, I guess for one reason or another they just didn't think it was ready to put out there?

I still take solace that Peter over at the Shenmue Dojo said the trailer he saw at the Japan dinner in September looked amazing (which was cut in June!).

I guess the undue criticism of that super early pre-funding Kickstarter footage made the team super cautious with what they show, or in this case don't show. There's MAGIC 2017, but an E3 showing would be far better.

Look at how much criticism the Breath of The Wild footage from this week sprung. That game could do no wrong at E3 and the months coming off it. Now many are raising sincere doubt in the quality of the performance of the game and how enjoyable the core gameplay will be

Spaghetti

Look at how much criticism the Breath of The Wild footage from this week sprung. That game could do no wrong at E3 and the months coming off it. Now many are raising sincere doubt in the quality of the performance of the game and how enjoyable the core gameplay will be
Yeah. People can be fickle, so while I'm disappointed it wasn't at PSX, I'd rather they take the time to properly manage what they're going to show for maximum impact.

I was upset for like... an hour or two, but there are dozens of reasons why they could have decided to not turn up.

Some posters are screaming mutiny on the Dojo, but they'll get over it. We were told not to expect any big picture/video updates before December, so hopefully this month and heading into 2017 there's an uptick on the trickle of information coming from there.

Some posters are screaming mutiny on the Dojo, but they'll get over it.

Lol, what's wrong with people.

As I mentioned yesterday I didn't mind at all. Would much rather they take their time. No need to rush out trailers or whatever and it's not like it was even guaranteed to be there in the first place. At least we have over a year until the game is released so I'd be happy if they held off anything new until a few months before. Sure E3 and stuff would be nice, but I'd rather they just make the game rather than make trailers.

Spaghetti

Lol, what's wrong with people.

As I mentioned yesterday I didn't mind at all. Would much rather they take their time. No need to rush out trailers or whatever and it's not like it was even guaranteed to be there in the first place. At least we have over a year until the game is released so I'd be happy if they held off anything new until a few months before. Sure E3 and stuff would be nice, but I'd rather they just make the game rather than make trailers.
Yeah. It's becoming apparent the PSX hype was like a game of telephone that got out of control.

Personally, I think we might get a little treat in the next update to mark the new year, but according to the recruitment leaflet for YSnet from a few months ago they're going to be ramping up production starting early 2017. That probably means we'll have to wait a little bit longer to see something resembling a finished product. I'm not too sore about it, even though I was disappointed.

Anyway, onwards and upwards. Here's something to tide us over this month:

------------------

eSuARMr.jpg

Join us in the Shenmue Dojo Twitch channel starting this Thursday as we watch the original Shenmue played in Japanese with English subtitles.

http://www.twitch.tv/shenmuedojo

Thus The Saga Begins

------------------

I don't know if any of you watched the stream on the 3rd, but even though PSX didn't bring anything, Peter from the Shenmue Dojo was a great host and will be doing weekly streams from now on. So come along and join us!

Somewhat disappointed too. Reading the Dojo prior to PSX the game seemed like it was destined to be there though looking back that may have been over optimistic wishful thinking. However didn't Cedric tweet and heavily infer we'd see something this December? If so we should see something soon even if it's not at PSX.

Wonder what he could have been cryptically referring to?

Spaghetti

What I'm about to post should lend context.

It's from LanDC over on the Dojo, who was also at the Japan dinner with Yu Suzuki in September where they saw what has been described as a trailer of sorts:

We're not going to have to wait till E3. Unless something drastically changes, the next Kickstarter update will include the footage Peter and I saw on the bus. After Yu showed us the footage, he said everyone would be seeing it (and more) "in December." He never specified PSX, but Peter and myself clearly thought that's what he meant. The last $10,000 dinner was already confirmed for San Francisco on the week of PSX, so it seemed like a no-brainer. But this goes to show that we should never expect anything until we have 100% official facts, no matter how logical what we're expecting may seem. Let's keep a cool head and wait a few more weeks! We'll see this month's update sooner than usual, I'd imagine. The team should be afforded a good holiday break, so they won't even be there to update on the very last day again.

Again, standard disclaimers apply that things may have changed, don't get hyped, etc etc, but I think December's update is going to yield results for those who want images or footage straight from the game.

It's hard to deny that it was a very bitter pill to swallow with coming to the end of the year and still having nothing shown. Yes, after seeing what I seen in September I was literally knocked off my feet with the quality and how "Shenmue", Shenmue 3 looks and feels, but ironic now how hard that weekend hit me. With what we were being hinted towards, it did indeed seem like a no brainer as to where a new update would be shown, but we got it wrong. Why nothing was prepared for PSX is something only Suzuki-san and his team have the answers to. I will try and get some answers, but until then, I will be taking time away from the message boards and focusing on the Twitch Channel to ensure we have Shenmue content on there.

I will also take solace and comfort that despite the lack of news, this game does indeed exist after 14 years of waiting with zero news, and I also believe it will be a raging success.

Again, it's honestly not a big deal at all. I can see why maybe some were disappointed I guess but to actually be annoyed or angry like some people seem to be is weird. Most games of this scale get the luxury of not being shown until they've had a couple of years of development. Because this was Kickstarted it honestly feels like they're being sort of pressured in a way to show stuff after only a year in. We know they're working hard on the game and that's all that matters to me. I'm not going to sit around and hope and wait for new gameplay or whatever but I will definitely be happy and showing support when the time comes.

Spaghetti

Don't get too hyped over rumors guys.
I mean, it's not strictly a rumour. It's legitimate information that may now be outdated, or not.

The PSX stuff was built on similar information, with maybe a little bit of conjecture and miscommunication added.

I'm personally not going to expect anything this month, but I don't doubt that at the time the backers were told this information it was correct.

What I'm about to post should lend context.

It's from LanDC over on the Dojo, who was also at the Japan dinner with Yu Suzuki in September where they saw what has been described as a trailer of sorts:

Again, standard disclaimers apply that things may have changed, don't get hyped, etc etc, but I think December's update is going to yield results for those who want images or footage straight from the game.

Thanks for posting this dude. This is awesome information. This must be what Cedric was cryptically referring to, a KS update in December with new screenshots and/or the trailer that Peter and LanDC saw. You're correct in that plans could have changed and thus the information could be outdated but given Cedric's tweets are quite recent inferring that something is going to be shown in December it does look like this plan to show off the game again this month is still active and going to happen.

Looking forward to the next KS update then. What date in the month do they usually deploy updates?

Spaghetti

Thanks for posting this dude. This is awesome information. This must be what Cedric was cryptically referring to, a KS update in December with new screenshots and/or the trailer that Peter and LanDC saw. You're correct in that plans could have changed and thus the information could be outdated but given Cedric's tweets are quite recent inferring that something is going to be shown in December it does look like this plan to show off the game again this month is still active and going to happen.

Looking forward to the next KS update then. What date in the month do they usually deploy updates?
Based on what I can tell, Cedric was referring to PSX but wasn't aware YSnet didn't actually have plans to showcase there and was operating on assumption or outdated knowledge too. He takes a hands off approach to the game because he can't be there for the day-in day-out minutia an actual full-time Producer would deal with, so sometimes he's as in the dark on developing situations as we are.

He can definitely give us an idea of future plans for the game, but in terms of specifics it'd be best not to rely on him.

The final Yu Suzuki dinner in California is happening very soon according to someone I've spoken to, so I imagine they'll get a first look and the update will go live a week or so later. It depends when YSnet wrap up for the year for a Christmas break. The 23rd is a public holiday in Japan, so I assume maybe the 22nd will be the day it goes up, but as the updates are handled by a separate company possibly with a different vacation plan, then it could either go up later, or earlier. I can't really verify the source, but I believe it enough to pass the info on.

I'm not saying "get hype", but after a little bit of digging and reflecting on both new and old information post-PSX, I think fans are going to be thrown a bone to satisfy the information cravings for some time.

Full disclaimers about plans changing can still apply, but anybody thinking they've got nothing to show is dreaming. It really is a matter of just biding their time to make it as impressive as possible, from what I can gather.

I'm looking forward to whatever is shown whenever it is. This game is still a ways out so I'm fine if we don't see anything until E3.

Also, RIP Cindi Mayweather. Hopefully the ban isn't too long.

Spaghetti

Cross-post from the community thread.

I went and sent a polite message to the team via the Kickstarter page:

Thank you very much for your candor. We will certainly be doing our best to keep everyone interested and in faith.

There should be something in terms of screen shots coming up this month.

Please keep your hopes up! This is a long process, but please trust Yu-san and everyone else involved has Shenmue's best interests at heart!

All our best,
Joel & the Shenmue III Team

Pinch of salt, plans may change, etc etc.

ArjanN

I'm looking forward to whatever is shown whenever it is. This game is still a ways out so I'm fine if we don't see anything until E3.

Pretty much, People also forget most games don't really come together until fairly close to release, and this game isn't going to match AAA stuff in the graphics department anyway, so I have no problem with them waiting to show it until they have something really solid.

Spaghetti

All I want for Christmas is some pictures of Shenhua.
Bare in mind they may still be using the old models.

There's a high chance we'll be looking at environmental stuff, as that's probably the most "complete", graphically speaking.

I've been told the locales look pretty damn good, though. The super-saturated rich colours of Shenmue are like no other IMO, so I'm going to be very excited if they've got that spot on.

Bare in mind they may still be using the old models.

There's a high chance we'll be looking at environmental stuff, as that's probably the most "complete", graphically speaking.

I've been told the locales look pretty damn good, though. The super-saturated rich colours of Shenmue are like no other IMO, so I'm going to be very excited if they've got that spot on.

Doesn't need to be new models or textures, I just want to see more pictures of Shenhua.

Elios83

I hope we'll get an update soon.
First trailer would be great but I trust that they know how to handle marketing.
It's better for them to wait and showcase something that is representative of the quality they have in their mind for the final game.
If they showcase things when they're not ready it's not like people will be kind to them just because they got the update they were looking for ;) Not to mention haters and trolls who are just waiting for bad footage to claim "I knew this was going to be an indie level shit".

Spaghetti

hype! please have redesign of Ryo face
I think that's what we might be getting.

The last time they showed Ryo and Shenhua's models they literally turned them away from the camera because they were the old ones.

I've also done a bit of "CSI"ing and noticed changes in the silhoutte of Shenhua in that blown out phone photo. Hair looks different, shoulders aren't as rounded, the scarf (snood?) is smaller too. It resembles the Photoshopped render they put together for improvements to the model after fans gave feedback quite a bit, actually.

Spaghetti

What if its actually the HD remasters?

Minds, pants and other things will be blown
No.

I mean, weird stuff can happen (we're posting in a Shenmue III development thread after all), but YSnet have no control over HD remasters and the tease is directly about III.

I'd prefer it if YsNet's roll in a potential Shenmue remake be limited to consulting work and promotion. Shenmue 3 is more important and I don't want Yu being distracted too much.

ajim

Seeing their updated and more faithful models would be an excellent xmas and new years gift.

Im so excited.

I really hope for Yu and team as well as gaming that shenmue 3 turns into what it needs to be<3

Spaghetti

While we're waiting the week+ to the next update, I put together a little comparison for how far they've come along visually using the prototype shot of Bailu Village released in January, and a scan of the screen that was on a YSnet recruitment leaflet from October.

WmU49cj.jpg

January on the left, October (or earlier) on the right, obviously.

Not to sound too much along the lines of biting the hand that feeds you, but I'm pretty meh when it comes to the idea of images now. That's why I am taking a break from the hardcore areas of the community. I love being one of the most analytical fans of the series, especially 10 years ago developing theories and whatnot. But that was after I had played the games.

The idea of analysing and re-analysing little nuggets of information and images just now begins to ruin the wait, and make it more agonising. Say we do get images, there's 2 issues with this. Number 1 is an image can only do so much. Say a Ryo model gets revealed and doesn't look like Ryo as we know him. Well, of course he won't, since what we know to be the character was from over a decade ago, made by different artists, created by different technology etc. But for me, if you give him the motion, voice and script, very could very well turn out to be even better than the Ryo we have had from Shenmue 1 and 2. For me, that's a positive way to look at the Shenmue 3 development. Don't shit on something until you have had the chance to give it a fair shake once all the elements are in place.

That leads into my second point; over the years I've seen Shenmue fans be some of the most passionate, but unfortunately negative at the same time. There's part of me that believes they could literally nail the look with new artists and design technology, and people will still piss and moan. Some Shenmue fans use the Kickstarter as an excuse to feel that their opinion is worth more than the average gamer, and even feel no shame in criticising the decisions and work of a man who has given far more than anyone could accumulate, over almost a 40 year career. Perhaps it's just representative of the modern world, where opinions of every keyboard warrior are more accented than ever before, but to me it's a massive disrespect to the man that singlehandedly transformed the ways in which games were made in the modern era.

Spaghetti

Not to sound too much along the lines of biting the hand that feeds you, but I'm pretty meh when it comes to the idea of images now. That's why I am taking a break from the hardcore areas of the community. I love being one of the most analytical fans of the series, especially 10 years ago developing theories and whatnot. But that was after I had played the games.

The idea of analysing and re-analysing little nuggets of information and images just now begins to ruin the wait, and make it more agonising. Say we do get images, there's 2 issues with this. Number 1 is an image can only do so much. Say a Ryo model gets revealed and doesn't look like Ryo as we know him. Well, of course he won't, since what we know to be the character was from over a decade ago, made by different artists, created by different technology etc. But for me, if you give him the motion, voice and script, very could very well turn out to be even better than the Ryo we have had from Shenmue 1 and 2. For me, that's a positive way to look at the Shenmue 3 development. Don't shit on something until you have had the chance to give it a fair shake once all the elements are in place.

That leads into my second point; over the years I've seen Shenmue fans be some of the most passionate, but unfortunately negative at the same time. There's part of me that believes they could literally nail the look with new artists and design technology, and people will still piss and moan. Some Shenmue fans use the Kickstarter as an excuse to feel that their opinion is worth more than the average gamer, and even feel no shame in criticising the decisions and work of a man who has given far more than anyone could accumulate, over almost a 40 year career. Perhaps it's just representative of the modern world, where opinions of every keyboard warrior are more accented than ever before, but to me it's a massive disrespect to the man that singlehandedly transformed the ways in which games were made in the modern era.
Personally, I'm excited by the prospect of screens. I feel just a little starved of new media on the game and need something to tide me over until release, or a larger showing. It'll be nice to see a more solidified idea of what Shenmue III will actually be, because they've probably gone leagues beyond what they've shown of prototype materials. It'll be nice to have some new media to champion Shenmue III with and hopefully convince more people to jump onto the project via the Slacker Backer site.

I do wish I had the ability to just shut things out and wait for release so I could have the same totally fresh experience of the game I got with Shenmue and Shenmue II, but I definitely don't have the willpower and I'm way too plugged in to gaming media to have that again.

As for the models, I agree but I wouldn't mind seeing them all the same. I don't have a huge affinity for the passport models like some other fans, and I'm willing to accept changes to how Ryo and Shenhua look because of 3D modelling techniques being streets ahead of 1999, and generally because realistic rendering of humans is a lot easier to do these days.

Some people -predictably- will moan though, so I get what you're saying about some people being generally negative no matter what they see or hear. The Dojo is just about over it's bout of that right now, I hope.

It's probably way too deep into my posting history to find, but when posed with the question of whether a Kickstarted Shenmue III could ever happen, I think I was in there like a shot to say no.

When it actually did happen, I got over the initial excitement to read old and new interviews with Yu, and try and figure out his plans for the game. That's what got me to back the game, and largely where I base my faith in the project even now. He said the right things, and convinced me he's going into the game with the right plan. That's only been bolstered by the team around him consisting of the senior series veterans, and talented young developers.

I'm crossing my fingers that the December update just makes people chill out and let Yu do his thing without constant navel-gazing and needless worry.

Vanadium

It's not just funded by kickstarter. Sony is kicking in an undisclosed amount to the budget, after which some people found to be misleading on why they were on kickstater in the first place.

I gave them a Mighty Number $40.

Spaghetti

It's not just funded by kickstarter. Sony is kicking in an undisclosed amount to the budget, after which some people found to be misleading on why they were on kickstater in the first place.

I gave them a Mighty Number $40.
Sony is publishing and marketing the PS4 version only (possibly only the physical version too), and their input, financial or otherwise is limited.

Co-producing partner Shibuya Productions is the major non-Kickstarter funding source, as has been said and repeated numerous times through both the campaign, the aftermath, and even in recent months.

Whatever Sony is putting in is negligible, and Shibuya Productions have said openly many times the game would not exist without Kickstarter.

The "controversy" over the funding was based largely in media speculation and poor messaging, but unfortunately despite being refuted many, many, many times it persists as a "truth". It isn't.

I'm not putting the thumb screws on you here, I'm just making sure this thread does not devolve into "what if"isms and conjecture about the funding of the game. I thought we were way, way, way over that topic and it really doesn't need to be dug up again.

Final word on the matter from Shenmue III's Producer and head of Shibuya Productions, Cedric Biscay, via a recent interview with a Shenmue fansite to clarify the position of all parties involved:

7/ Fans and media have still a lot of questions regarding the role of each party. We prepared for you a summary of these roles. Tell us if the following elements are correct or not.

- SEGA granted YsNet the Shenmue III licence after negotiations directly led by Yu Suzuki. Suzuki-san was the one negotiating with Sony as well.

- Sony highlighted the Shenmue III Kickstarter campaign at E3 2015 and thus has been a big part of its success. In order to sell Shenmue III, Sony will also provide valuable assistance thanks to its marketing power and communication efficiency. Sony will be in charge of the production and publishing of the PlayStation 4 version and continue providing technical expertise to the YsNet team on Shenmue III development (hardware knowledge, optimization).

- Shibuya Productions is the initiator of the project with YsNet. You are the original and main investor in Shenmue III. You gave the initial impetus that made this project possible. Shibuya Productions is also responsible for the publishing and marketing of the PC version.

- YsNet is in charge of the game development on PlayStation 4 and PC in partnership with Neilo, Tak Hirai's studio. The management of the PayPal campaign has been assigned to Awesome Japan, a service provider.

Cédric Biscay: "Yes."

Source

Fake news is the worst. Holy shit.

I hear ya. I love Shenmue but some of the fans take it to a completely different universe. I don't understand how anyone can analyze the minutia of things to that level and still find it enjoyable. It stops being a game at that point and starts being a dissertation.

Top Bottom