• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 Kickstarter (PC/PS4) Thread 2: New KS Record at $6.3m

Spaghetti

Last night was the $10K backer dinner with Yu Suzuki in San Francisco.

ww6BhQ6.jpg

Br5k1iw.jpg

Via the Shenmue Dojo Instagram

No word on what backers actually saw there, but it's unlikely any details will come out.

Still- there's the December update to look forward to, where hopefully we get the first real comprehensive look at Shenmue III since the project began.

Jcgamer60

Finally an update on the PC version :)

“Development is entering the final stage headed towards full-scale production. Early in the new year, I think we’ll be able to show you things such as new videos.

“We will continue progressing with development so that our backers and those who experience the world of Shenmue for the first time can do so with pleasure.

“Also, at noon on December 15, we will start pre-order sales for the PC version of Shenmue III, which received a lot of requests.

Those interested in Shenmue III, please check the official website.”

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2016/12/shenmue-iii-pc-pre-orders-begin-december-15#Krf2JhQBjTWySEE7.99

Spaghetti

Along with the work in progress screens, we have information on the development progress as they exit the prototype phase, and when backer surveys are planned for.

R&D for various game elements is on course as the development team shifts its focus towards production. Main game scenarios are nearing completion, motion capture tests are well under way, and voicing tests with the cast have begun. Yu-san and the production staff are happy to say they are enjoying the work as they continue to diligently make progress on the mini-games, events, and battles.

“I have been absorbed in developing the game and I stay in the studio all night time to time. My life is all about Shenmue day and night.”-Yu Suzuki

Currently backer surveys are currently planned for the summer of 2017. On the surveys, we will ask you for your reward preferences that pertain to the different tiers and for your shipping information if you have pledged for physical rewards. There will be further updates ahead with more information regarding the surveys.

Hesh

So are those slacker backer contributions still being counted towards the next stretch goal? Where are we at?

I don't know their plans personally, but I would certainly think that "stretch goals" are just something to entice backers with to the point where if they meet the goal then they're definitely put that in the game . After the campaign then it would be up to the developers to determine what from the stretch goals that they didn't meet that they want to put in the game and if they can with their production budget. I don't think it's a hard "no" on any stretch goals not met, just a nebulous "maybe" at this point that could become pleasant surprises.

Spaghetti

So are those slacker backer contributions still being counted towards the next stretch goal? Where are we at?
Yes, they are. Via the Slacker Backer site:

For everyone who could not participate in the Shenmue III Kickstarter, we have heard your voice! Here is one more chance to show your support and make Shenmue III even better. All funding collected here will be added to the Kickstarter total for the game’s development.

Currently we're at $6,665,676, with the next stretch goal being at $7 Million for "AI Battling", which was described last year by Yu Suzuki as an intelligent system that will allow players to "step in" to moves even if combatants are just out of range.

So, instead of punching the air if an enemy is just out of range, Ryo will step forward and attack. It probably works through animation blending systems as well as an AI component.

Spaghetti

Need a higher res of the other pictures. Otherwise looks good.
Ask and you shall receive.

WB8qQOz.jpg

qgE9DSH.jpg

Again, the market fight image is Photoshopped because of placeholder materials. Has enormous potential, though. A dawn brawl at a market packed with enemies and physics objects? Yes please.

mattp

lol did they photoshop motion and blur and old ryo face art onto the model?
i get that they're covering in-progress assets, but isn't the point of backer updates to show in progress work?

Spaghetti

lol did they photoshop motion and blur and old ryo face art onto the model?
i get that they're covering in-progress assets, but isn't the point of backer updates to show in progress work?
I guess, but people pitched a shit fit over the E3 2015 model. I guess this is an admission of "it's not done yet, but we know you want it to remind you of the old models", but probably not the best way to have gone about it.

It's not a huge deal, IMO. It looks weird but whatever. Visuals haven't been their up-front priority in development so far.

The motion blur looks in-engine because of the dithering, though.

mabec

Pensé;226648975 said:
It's a shame that they failed to anticipate the big affluence for the preorder reopening. Again, the management around this game is a joke.

Yes, but they have the English, Japanese and Chinese pages all located on the same server, in japan. Let that sink in for a moment ;)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yes, they are. Via the Slacker Backer site:

Currently we're at $6,665,676, with the next stretch goal being at $7 Million for "AI Battling", which was described last year by Yu Suzuki as an intelligent system that will allow players to "step in" to moves even if combatants are just out of range.

So, instead of punching the air if an enemy is just out of range, Ryo will step forward and attack. It probably works through animation blending systems as well as an AI component.

A.I. battling sonda really cool, I hope they can achieve it. It sucks that there was so much unwarranted F.U.D. thrown at this game and its kickstarter funding campaign that surely lowered the total amount they could have raised and no publisher saw contributing funding as a sane thing due to how toxic that was looking at the time (they are going to steal your money, Sony is really bankrolling all of this... scam scam scam....). Now the game is being heroically made with shoe stringedbusget... but I trust Yu :).

S1lent

Is there a deadline for when the slacker backer will close? Trying to decide at what support level to jump in at, and it would help to know how much time I have until I need to pony up.

FN-2187

So I finally got around to contributing to the Slacker Backer Campaign at the physical copy reward tier. That was a few weeks ago. Other than getting my PayPal receipt, I didn't receive any sort of email confirmation or anything from Ys Net. Kinda thought I would. Has that been other people's experience as well?

Kiske

So I finally got around to contributing to the Slacker Backer Campaign at the physical copy reward tier. That was a few weeks ago. Other than getting my PayPal receipt, I didn't receive any sort of email confirmation or anything from Ys Net. Kinda thought I would. Has that been other people's experience as well?

Based on my experience, I think that's all you're going to receive as a "confirmation" for now.

I still think this will be disappointing (especially after the 'magical' ending of 2) but it warms my heart regardless it's happening.

I just fear it will end on another cliffhanger and that will be that, again...

Ending with everything not resolved is a given since we know that shenmue 3 will NOT try to force a conclusion with this game.

Even if they manage to make an average game ( i doubt this will be the case ) , i think most of us just want more shenmue in video form.

Spaghetti

i wonder if we'll get a proper reveal at this e3
I would say the chances are pretty reasonable.

Over six months out from an aborted PSX showing, six months into full production after a year in prototype, and nearing the two year anniversary of the Kickstarter. We're theoretically in Shenmue III's release year too.

Unless it's delayed past E3 2018, then the time feels right for a lot of reasons.

Gestault

I would say the chances are pretty reasonable.

Over six months out from an aborted PSX showing, six months into full production after a year in prototype, and nearing the two year anniversary of the Kickstarter. We're theoretically in Shenmue III's release year too.

Unless it's delayed past E3 2018, then the time feels right for a lot of reasons.

I can't wait for this E3. This is basically my take on it as well. Even though a delay is just as likely, an optimist could reasonably expect something this year, even if just for the full reveal.

Spaghetti

I can't wait for this E3. This is basically my take on it as well. Even though a delay is just as likely, an optimist could reasonably expect something this year, even if just for the full reveal.
Yeah.

Even if you look at the Dev Room Vol: 2 update from March, you can see they're getting to the point where even in a development environment it's hard to show off the game without showing off the game.

It's perplexing how people look at that and say the game is still years away, because games absolutely do not look like actual games if they've got two+ years left on the clock. Maybe we've been spoiled by the bullshit vertical slice approach to game development where certain sections are advanced to near final for press outings, while the rest of the game is still unrefined and incomplete.

A re-reveal is on the horizon. Just hoping sooner rather than later.

Top Bottom