• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 Kickstarter (PC/PS4) Thread 2: New KS Record at $6.3m

These kickstarter updates are probably my favorite of any project I have backed. It's not even that I'm a big Shenmue fan. I just love hearing Yu, a gaming legend, give his thoughts about various topics.

I'm a bit bummed that the gross shirt wasn't in this one though.

If Cedric's comment on the game still being on track for December 2017 is to be believed (and I think his comment was quite recent too) then Shenmue 3 being on-stage for a show-stopping trailer reveal at Sony's E3 presser is like, 99% certain.

If they're still on track of course. If the game slips to 2018 then obviously the E3 reveal odds lessen significantly.

Spaghetti

If Cedric's comment on the game still being on track for December 2017 is to be believed (and I think his comment was quite recent too) then Shenmue 3 being on-stage for a show-stopping trailer reveal at Sony's E3 presser is like, 99% certain.

If they're still on track of course. If the game slips to 2018 then obviously the E3 reveal odds lessen significantly.
It depends if the slip to 2018 takes it past E3 or not. It could be the next game to occupy that March/April slot that niche Japanese games did so well in this year.

There's good reason to be confident in III showing up at E3 this year either way. PSX was a stated goal for showing the game off when they spoke to 10K dinner backers in Japan in September.

Plans changed, obviously, but that put E3 right in their line of sight for a re-reveal. It's over six months later, and the chances of them getting cold feet again are low, IMO.

It depends if the slip to 2018 takes it past E3 or not. It could be the next game to occupy that March/April slot that niche Japanese games did so well in this year.

There's good reason to be confident in III showing up at E3 this year either way. PSX was a stated goal for showing the game off when they spoke to 10K dinner backers in Japan in September.

Plans changed, obviously, but that put E3 right in their line of sight for a re-reveal. It's over six months later, and the chances of them getting cold feet again are low, IMO.

Excellent points and a great post yet again man. It's definitely worth thinking about - if the delay is minor then yes we could still see an E3 2017 reveal even if the game slips in to early next year. Hadn't actually considered that notion. If they had something planned for PSX and changed plans at the last minute then obviously those plans would have naturally shifted to this E3.

The cool thing now is what we see at E3 will be more advanced presumably than what would have been shown at PSX so I'm all aboard the hype train for this one.

Just praying that Yu and his all-star ex-AM2 team produce something really special and a strong showing at E3 would affirm that so I'm hoping Shenmue 3 will be there.

kunonabi

I would say the chances are pretty reasonable.

Over six months out from an aborted PSX showing, six months into full production after a year in prototype, and nearing the two year anniversary of the Kickstarter. We're theoretically in Shenmue III's release year too.

Unless it's delayed past E3 2018, then the time feels right for a lot of reasons.

Man, time really flies.

Breakage

Anyone concerned that they've yet to show any character faces?
I'm starting to think that those amateurish odd-looking characters from the reveal video are going to make it into the final game.

I'm still really holding on hope for the Shenmue 3 gameplay reveal, then something along the lines of "we know you can't wait to start playing in the world of Shenmue, so we're doing one better. Shenmue Remastered is also being released next month." or similar.

Spaghetti

Man, time really flies.
It really does. It was only a few short years ago that Shenmue III was inconceivable. Although in retrospect, you can see sort of a breadcrumb trail of comments and speculation that it was going to happen eventually.

Excellent points and a great post yet again man. It's definitely worth thinking about - if the delay is minor then yes we could still see an E3 2017 reveal even if the game slips in to early next year. Hadn't actually considered that notion. If they had something planned for PSX and changed plans at the last minute then obviously those plans would have naturally shifted to this E3.

The cool thing now is what we see at E3 will be more advanced presumably than what would have been shown at PSX so I'm all aboard the hype train for this one.

Just praying that Yu and his all-star ex-AM2 team produce something really special and a strong showing at E3 would affirm that so I'm hoping Shenmue 3 will be there.
If the re-reveal trailer is anything like the trailer shown to backers in Japan (obviously recut with footage from the current build), then I think fans are going to have their minds blown.

There are vague accounts of it out there on certain topics of the Shenmue Dojo, and stuff that I've been told in private, and what we have seen of the game so far on Kickstarter is not even a sliver of the work done. There's a very deliberate strategy at play about keeping the cards close to their chest.

Anyone concerned that they've yet to show any character faces?
I'm starting to think that those amateurish odd-looking characters from the reveal video are going to make it into the final game.
Not really. The March update video clearly showed they've made substantial changes to Ryo's model already, and the developers are very quick to point out at every opportunity that assets aren't final. They'll show it when they're ready.

Breakage

It really does. It was only a few short years ago that Shenmue III was inconceivable. Although in retrospect, you can see sort of a breadcrumb trail of comments and speculation that it was going to happen eventually.

If the re-reveal trailer is anything like the trailer shown to backers in Japan (obviously recut with footage from the current build), then I think fans are going to have their minds blown.

There are vague accounts of it out there on certain topics of the Shenmue Dojo, and stuff that I've been told in private, and what we have seen of the game so far on Kickstarter is not even a sliver of the work done. There's a very deliberate strategy at play about keeping the cards close to their chest.

Not really. The March update video clearly showed they've made substantial changes to Ryo's model already, and the developers are very quick to point out at every opportunity that assets aren't final. They'll show it when they're ready.

But you never see his face in any of the update videos. It's just a bit odd. Guess we'll have to wait for E3.

Shahed

I'd be highly surprised if it comes out this year. In fact I wouldn't want it to. If they release it this year, I'd have severe doubts as to the quality of game they'd be delivering. I'd rather they spent another year on it

I absolutely feel optimistic about what we are going to end up getting in terms of the final product, and Yu Suzuki is one of a few devs/directors that doesn't muck about, and he'd move heaven and earth to get the job done, and not let people down.

But it's not to dissimilar to gambling, when you think about the money individuals have spent on bringing this to reality, it does up the stakes, and not only whether the game comes out, but if it's any bloody good! Lol, personally I'm £1000 in, so I absolutely cannot wait to see something awesome soon.

I'm still really holding on hope for the Shenmue 3 gameplay reveal, then something along the lines of "we know you can't wait to start playing in the world of Shenmue, so we're doing one better. Shenmue Remastered is also being released next month." or similar.

I don't really have faith in Sega to even get the first games released, let alone coordinate an E3 announcement. That being said, I'm not sure that's even the best place to announce remasters as they risk being overshadowed by the new game and the event in general. Maybe if they're released that same day with an "available right now" sort of thing, otherwise it feels more like a PSX caliber announcement (which admittedly is pushing it too close to III at this point as well).

Apharmd

I'd be highly surprised if it comes out this year. In fact I wouldn't want it to. If theybrelease it this year, I'd have sever doubts as to the quality of game they'd be delivering. I'd rather they spent another year on it

Why?

They're working with a well-known, well-documented engine. Yu Suzuki has great experience in managing projects like this.

This, in so many ways, is not a repeat of Project Berkeley.

Spaghetti

But you never see his face in any of the update videos. It's just a bit odd. Guess we'll have to wait for E3.
There are reasons for that - mostly related to waiting until they're satisfied themselves with the face - but also because graphical elements seem to be lower down on the foodchain of priorities for them right now.

Even in the March update with footage from mid-February there were still placeholder assets from Shenmue II. That's likely changed by now, though. If they really are gunning for a showing at E3 2017, then I can see them moving more towards final assets. There would have been around a four month gap between when that footage was shot, and E3. Plenty of polish time.

I wouldn't get too concerned anyway. Yu Suzuki agrees that the E3 2015 models weren't right (and probably made very quickly and cheaply for the KS pitch), and he gets final say on whatever goes out in the end.

I'd be highly surprised if it comes out this year. In fact I wouldn't want it to. If theybrelease it this year, I'd have sever doubts as to the quality of game they'd be delivering. I'd rather they spent another year on it
I wouldn't make this your default mindset without seeing more of the game. Like I've said in a post above, the Japan dinner backers have told us that what they were shown is far more expansive than anything seen on the Kickstarter. And that video was cut in June 2016.

A delay is still probable, but don't underestimate the results of the long and hard hours the devs have already put into the game.

I absolutely feel optimistic about what we are going to end up getting in terms of the final product, and Yu Suzuki is one of a few devs/directors that doesn't muck about, and he'd move heaven and earth to get the job done, and not let people down.
This is true. I know it's kind of a hippie approach to software development, but I think to some degree that passion and love for a project shines through in the final product; and Shenmue III has that in spades.

There are quotes from journalists, Cedric Biscay, Ryan Payton, and even Yu himself about how hard he and the rest of the team are working. When he's not sleeping at the office, he's the first one there and the last one to leave.

Spaghetti

This is a good way to frame it, actually.

I know people like to get hand-wringy about Shenmue III's development not having the expansive amount of resources available that the originals did, but that also means it's freed of the worst excesses of a blank cheque project too.

Shahed

Why?

They're working with a well-known, well-documented engine. Yu Suzuki has great experience in managing projects like this.

There are reasons for that - mostly related to waiting until they're satisfied themselves with the face - but also because graphical elements seem to be lower down on the foodchain of priorities for them right now.

Even in the March update with footage from mid-February there were still placeholder assets from Shenmue II. That's likely changed by now, though. If they really are gunning for a showing at E3 2017, then I can see them moving more towards final assets. There would have been around a four month gap between when that footage was shot, and E3. Plenty of polish time.

I wouldn't get too concerned anyway. Yu Suzuki agrees that the E3 2015 models weren't right (and probably made very quickly and cheaply for the KS pitch), and he gets final say on whatever goes out in the end.

I wouldn't make this your default mindset without seeing more of the game. Like I've said in a post above, the Japan dinner backers have told us that what they were shown is far more expansive than anything seen on the Kickstarter. And that video was cut in June 2016.

A delay is still probable, but don't underestimate the results of the long and hard hours the devs have already put into the game.

This is true. I know it's kind of a hippie approach to software development, but I think to some degree that passion and love for a project shines through in the final product; and Shenmue III has that in spades.

There are quotes from journalists, Cedric Biscay, Ryan Payton, and even Yu himself about how hard he and the rest of the team are working. When he's not sleeping at the office, he's the first one there and the last one to leave.

Comapred to some, I spent little on this game! Just one physical and one digital version, so admittedly I'm not as invested as other people are.

As for why I have this mindset? If it releases in 2017, that would mean at best 2 and a half years of Dev time, and we know it wasn't in full production for the entire length. Sure it could be something like Nier Automata which was made in 2 years and is my game of the generation. But Platinum is a pre established developer with history.and experience that could get right into development effectively. This isn't a pre planned game with that would be published normally. How much time was spent forming the team, deciding on the scope and the technology (and I don't just mean engine)? I just don't have faith they'd get a proper well made in such a short timeframe.

Admittedly I haven't followed any of the updates at all since I backed the game so I have no idea as to it's current state so I could be talking a bunch of nonsense. And I'll happily be wrong and would love to have the game earlier if it's ready and good. I'd just rather have the game when it's done properly, instead of it being rushed to keet the original Kickstarter timeframe

Breakage

Oh, cool. I didn't know Yu Suzuki commented on the 2015 models.

Brunire

I think this shows that they are very aware of the complaints and want to make the requested adjustments. If they have not gotten to that point in the process, why show the faces and stir up the same complaints again?

Mahonay

Banned
I imagine they are working pretty hard to have something good to show at E3. Really interested to see what Shenmue III looks like when it reemerges.

I bet he's never worked so hard in his life! Probably gonna put him off Shenmue 4, let alone 5 & 6 haha.

I imagine they are working pretty hard to have something good to show at E3. Really interested to see what Shenmue III looks like when it reemerges.

One of the best appointments for me was getting Kid Nocon in on the action, someone who is obviously awesome with UE4, what he did with the Dojo map was brilliant!

So yeah I'm expected something pretty special.

Spaghetti

Admittedly I haven't followed any of the updates at all since I backed the game so I have no idea as to it's current state so I could be talking a bunch of nonsense. And I'll happily be wrong and would love to have the game earlier if it's ready and good. I'd just rather have the game when it's done properly, instead of it being rushed to keet the original Kickstarter timeframe
I originally wrote out a larger post going through the development timeline, but to spare you the boredom of having to read all that I'm going to just condense my own position:

The Kickstarter updates do generally give a good roadmap of development so far when viewed as a whole, but part of the reason why I'm confident that December 2017 is not a totally pie in the sky release window is because of the second hand information from people who saw the game in Japan last September.

I know we're spoiled by vertical slices at E3 press conferences that give an inaccurate view of how developed games are (case in point: anything to come out of Tetsuya Nomura recently), and can skew our view how game development really looks, but even if Shenmue III slips into 2018 I don't see it going later than March/April.

They're doing fine-tune playtesting of quests and implementing side activities like the arcade in the March update, which was shot in February. That's not a game that has another 24 months left on the clock to be finished.

Oh, cool. I didn't know Yu Suzuki commented on the 2015 models.
Yeah. A few times, actually. I don't see why he'd go "fuck it, call it a day" with models he wasn't satisfied with anyway. He never did it on the original games. Even Ryo's face was tweaked between the first big story trailer for II and when it released on Dreamcast.

I think this shows that they are very aware of the complaints and want to make the requested adjustments. If they have not gotten to that point in the process, why show the faces and stir up the same complaints again?
Bingo. There's also the risk of getting into an endless cycle of trying to satisfy everybody.

Maligna

Banned
Hey all, Matt from the Shenmue AM2 podcast here. We just put out an episode with our predictions for Shenmue 3 and we thought it would be fun if we did another episode in the future compiling the predictions of our fellow fans and listeners.

So what do you think will happen in the next game? You can leave your answers here or email them to us and if we get enough we'll read them on an upcoming show.

If you've never heard our podcast, here are some links where you can find us:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/shenmue-am2-podcast/id1166752613?mt=2

http://shenmueam2podcast.libsyn.com

https://youtu.be/2pUD9JicrbY

Cheers

Ryo and Shenhua go on a picnic where she teaches Ryo about inner peace and letting go. Ryo decides that he made a mistake in life and should have kept his friends close. He uses his black market connections to help Shenhua create a false identity where she becomes an accountant for Ryo's shipping and receiving company with Goro as foreman and Tom, who upon hearing that Ryo had returned rushed back to Japan, as the cafeteria manager.

In his free time, Ryo helps run a cat shelter.

Spaghetti

Still hoping for a collection of 1 and 2. I've never played them and I'm a backer for III. :p
In the worst case scenario that SEGA don't deliver a Shenmue HD Collection, there's going to be a recap/flashback function in Shenmue III to make it newcomer friendly all the same.

Maligna

Banned
Ryo and Shenhua go on a picnic where she teaches Ryo about inner peace and letting go. Ryo decides that he made a mistake in life and should have kept his friends close. He uses his black market connections to help Shenhua create a false identity where she becomes an accountant for Ryo's shipping and receiving company with Goro as foreman and Tom, who upon hearing that Ryo had returned rushed back to Japan, as the cafeteria manager.

In his free time, Ryo helps run a cat shelter.

Well, certainly no one would have seen that coming if you're right. :p

Suzuki Yu

In the worst case scenario that SEGA don't deliver a Shenmue HD Collection, there's going to be a recap/flashback function in Shenmue III to make it newcomer friendly all the same.
as a mega Shenmue fan i will never ever advise anyone to do this.
this series is all about the experience you are going through from the very start.

it's very very important for newcomers to play all the games even if they have to go out of their way to do it. in my book playing Shenmue 3 right away is not an option really.

this series is all about the experience you are going through from the very start.

it's very very important for newcomers to play all the games even if they have to go out of their way to do it. in my book playing Shenmue 3 right away is not an option really.

You think it's bad to put a recap in III? Why? Many people are going to do it. You just have to deal with it.

Honestly their recap of 1 in II is pretty perfect.

http://youtu.be/FZ7lL1YBMLI

Bowl0l

I don't think I will import a used Dreamcast just to play 2 games.

Is DC emulation decent?

A recap is nice because not everyone is replaying the game at least once a year like a lot of us. Even if you were an awesome person who bought a Dreamcast and played it originally, you probably don't remember many details beyond capsule toys, Tom, and forklift racing.

Is DC emulation decent?

The Dreamcast is an awesome system, you should get one for the dozens of great games out there.

I can't comment on emulation because I'm a real-hardware purist and don't use a Windows.

Shenmue The Movie was terrible. You liked that?! The Digest movie is far superior and Ys Net and has to make concessions.

Is DC emulation decent?

It's excellent. Demul is better if you can run it but NullDC does the job well.

Suzuki Yu

You think it's bad to put a recap in III? Why? Many people are going to do it. You just have to deal with it.

Honestly their recap of 1 in II is pretty perfect.

http://youtu.be/FZ7lL1YBMLI
nothing is wrong with a small recap but not for newcomers.

what i am trying to say is that this series strongest part is the whole experience itself not just the story. even the story will not be as impact-full by watching small briefings.
this is the last series i would recommend to skip chapters.

Is DC emulation decent?
it's very good but with minor issues like Ryo's shadow and some of the arcade games will cause the emulator to crash.

what i am trying to say is that this series strongest part is the whole experience itself not just the story. even the story will not be as impact-full by watching small briefings.

it's very good but with minor issues like Ryo's shadow and some of the arcade games will cause the emulator to crash.

This is in NullDC. Shadows and arcade games are fine in Demul.

I agree with you but it's not a realistic expectation.

Suzuki Yu

This is in NullDC. Shadows and arcade games are fine in Demul.

I agree with you but it's not a realistic expectation.
i remember trying to run it on Demul in the past and i had trouble figuring how to run it smoothly. maybe the updated ver is way better now i will try and see.

and yeah players who gets to experience the games from the very beginning will help them to appreciate this series a lot more... at the end of the day it's a big Journey full of turning points.

Spaghetti

It's unfortunately going to be the only option for a lot of people if SEGA doesn't come through with a remaster. Not everybody will get a Dreamcast, not everybody will try emulation.

But like I said - it's a measure for a worst case scenario.

Bowl0l

Play 1 and 2 on demul if u have to by far best emulator experience

This guide is quite good https://casualemulationfan.wordpress.com/2015/08/17/demul-quick-start-guide/

A recap is nice because not everyone is replaying the game at least once a year like a lot of us. Even if you were an awesome person who bought a Dreamcast and played it originally, you probably don't remember many details beyond capsule toys, Tom, and forklift racing.

The Dreamcast is an awesome system, you should get one for the dozens of great games out there.

I can't comment on emulation because I'm a real-hardware purist and don't use a Windows.

Shenmue The Movie was terrible. You liked that?! The Digest movie is far superior and Ys Net and has to make concessions.

It's excellent. Demul is better if you can run it but NullDC does the job well.

Ok, I will try Demul.

Spaghetti

Update 67: Dev Room Progress Report Vol. 3

In this month’s update we present to you our third development report!

Who’s this new face…? Please check it out!

Thank you for watching and we hope you enjoyed it!

We have also been receiving questions from our backers regarding our plans to participate in upcoming game shows. While our schedule has yet to be finalized, we will be devoting June to game development and as a result, will unfortunately not be participating in any game shows. On the other hand, we look forward to bringing you our monthly updates and hope you do too!

Thank you!

From the Shenmue III Team

Disappointed that E3 is now off the cards and the big re-reveal has probably been kicked down the road for several more months. It's also pretty unlikely that the game is releasing in 2017 now, but everybody and their dog predicted that at some point.

What I'm pleased about is that the character models are adhering to Kenji Miyawaki's art a lot closer than I expected, and I actually think it works in their favour in plenty of ways.

Spaghetti

I hope it's a ruse. :(
Nah, they're getting out in front of the issue on purpose. No smoke and mirrors here (it'd be exceptionally cruel/stupid to do that now anyway). I think we'll get a delay announcement before the end of the summer, though.

--------------------

Anyway, screens from the video update.

NMWFs7V.jpg

X6NnICc.jpg

of37clV.jpg

cmL0AeL.jpg

Sounding like a broken record here because I've said it already, but I really like how they're leaning into the artwork for their 3D models.

Looks great to even be seeing a new character and the art is looking a lot like how Shenmue should look. It's still surreal and I enjoy these small glimpses into the game. I'm in no rush and I hope they take all the time they need.

Top Bottom