• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue III to be published by Deep Silver, details for Gamescom meet and greet

Publisher does not equal developer so why are people frightened that Deep Silver will taint this series when Yu Suzuki himself is overseeing it and has ties to Segas most beloved games.

Jcgamer60

Publisher does not equal developer so why are people frightened that Deep Silver will taint this series when Yu Suzuki himself is overseeing it and has ties to Segas most beloved games.

I would also like to know why people are concerned over this. To what extent does a publisher like Deep Silver have in the development of Shenmue III?

Hmm - I think I feel better about Ryo's face, but it's just not quite there for me yet.

300px-Ryo.jpg

EDIT: I've only just now realized how he and Conrad Hart from Flashback are dressed identically. I guess that is really my thing.

ajim

I quite like ryos new model, but definitely not feeling shenhua.

The logo is really bad too.

Still great to see more of the game. I hope the behind closed doors showing goes well!!

Persona7

Banned
So what exactly is the extent of Sony's and Sega's involvement in Shenmue 3?

Ah, that's interesting.
I think they are marketing the ps4 version. Basic deal as far as I can tell. Think of how sony marketed third party games in the past with a tv advert and PlayStation branding.

Haha idk! The new model is okay when compared to the old promo art. I see the resemblance especially with the old promo art, but by itself it looks very off to me. I don't look at it and think "yeah that's an updated Ryo". Maybe he looks less Shenmue Japanese? Not surprised with the way he looked on the Xbox cover(both original and released covers) and the First 4 Figures figure.

I'm one of the fans who prefers the DC models and old promo art. I don't like the passport, online, and all star racing models. The thing about Ryo's face to me is that it is hard to not have it look funny. Even so I prefer his other 3D models than this.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Why're the main character models still the spotlight of promotion? Why're they apparently still not finished when its mid-to-late 2017? I dunno what or if theres any "order" to game creation but ya would think the MCs would long be finished if nothing else -_-? It feels almost Squareenix-ish for the updates on this game ta always be something so super minor like this. On the other hand I do hope they avoid the now common game hype cycle of spilling every last lil detail before the games even in peoples hands!

Spaghetti

I would also like to know why people are concerned over this. To what extent does a publisher like Deep Silver have in the development of Shenmue III?
It's pretty baseless considering Deep Silver getting involved is only a recent development by the looks of things. Entering into a partnership two years into development with maybe one & change left on the clock isn't going to radically alter the game.

There's also this bullshit "oh they published [BAD TITLE] so this is going to be bad too!"... while ignoring all the good titles they've put out as well. It's ignorance, an excuse to shitpost, and just standard internet gaming forum FUD.

Why're the main character models still the spotlight of promotion? Why're they apparently still not finished when its mid-to-late 2017? I dunno what or if theres any "order" to game creation but ya would think the MCs would long be finished if nothing else -_-?
The focus during development has been elsewhere for basically the last year and a half of development. A lot of AAA games these days do finalise or near finalise their MC models early on for promotional purposes (vertical slice, trailers, etc), but obviously Shenmue III was not going to follow that mindset.

There will be tweaks and changes. I'm sure YSnet will get plenty of feedback from fans next week. People also forget that Ryo looked like this for a portion of Shenmue's development:

akira2.jpg

Even from the earlier Shenmue II trailers, his in-game model saw improvement on release. People losing their minds that this totally respectable iteration is final are nuts.

The more I look at Ryo the more I like it.

I will never understand the desire to be so negative about any news on this game - every update looks better.
Yeah. I think people are forgetting where we started from two years ago, or are just looking for excuses to be shitty about the game for fairly flimsy, petty reasons.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
The focus during development has been elsewhere for basically the last year and a half of development. A lot of AAA games these days do finalise or near finalise their MC models early on for promotional purposes (vertical slice, trailers, etc), but obviously Shenmue III was not going to follow that mindset.

Even from the earlier Shenmue II trailers, his in-game model saw improvement on release. People losing their minds that this totally respectable iteration is final are nuts.
Appearance isn't bugging me. Its the non-normal marketing/reveal style getting me off guard. People going nuts over appearance dissecting character pics is well, I mean what else is there to discuss or go over when so very little is released for peeps ta talk about?

Spaghetti

Appearance isn't bugging me. Its the non-normal marketing/reveal style getting me off guard. People going nuts over appearance dissecting character pics is well, I mean what else is there to discuss or go over when so very little is released for peeps ta talk about?
I mean, what's non-normal about it besides a kinda junky poster? They're getting the Deep Silver announcement out of the way via press release before the Gamescom showing next week.

As for what else to talk about; it feels like the environments are getting totally ignored in favour of mostly needless hand-wringing about the character models. Not even just in the image released either, a shot of what looks like the Great Wall of China got released too and totally flew under the radar despite being in the OP. We didn't even know that location was going to be in the game at all, and it's a genuine surprise that's being buried by hysterics.

wmlk

Man, those models actually look great to me.

Having not played the games, Shenhua's Dreamcast models always looked weird. Like, she was always making a weird smirking expression as her default face. This one is actually neutral.

Shenhua's CG render/art was the best.

bbbe2923b0595a1fbd2e84592855730b---life-anime-girls.jpg

shen2-shenhua-ling2.jpg

ok yeah nvm

Spaghetti

Weirdly enough the new model shares more common features with that CG art than her Dreamcast models.

IDK, it might be a funky angle or she might look better animated.

Diabelli

Dude, you keep bringing this up as if this comparison hasn't proven you wrong:

ryo-face.jpg

Similar skin tone, same eyes as in most other iterations. You're way off.

All this shows me is that the tiniest nuances in a person's face are so important. Facial features are very similar but the new model doesn't look like Ryo to me.

Spaghetti

Goofing around in Photoshop. Left it rough so I could show my working:

fLfJuNd.jpg

I dunno. I think it's close. The changes were pretty simple to make, so I've got no doubt YSnet will probably easily be able to make the right adjustments if they see fit.

I hate when kick starters get backing from a publisher. I dunno why but it makes me feel used.
In fairness, this is over two years after the KS ended.

Deep Silver haven't been waiting in the wings all this time, nor did they have a pre-established deal in place considering they seem to have supplanted both Shibuya Productions and Sony as existing PS4 and PC publisher.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Damm that art looks so early 2000's CGI... not good, I mean that could've been a Dreamcast cover ffs, so puppet-y... yeah it looks like Shenmue but c'mon now

IrishNinja

Sometimes it's about negativity... but sometimes it's also about honesty.

is it? maybe i've missed a few things, the whole fiasco about sony's deal/publishing etc early on sparked a ton of negative stuff. awesome japan's handling of it all sucked but...wait, you & i have talked about this already, haven't we? haha

ianpm31

I remember listening to Ryan Payton a few years ago about how he meets with Yu Suzuki and one thing I found very interesting was when he explained that Yu Suzuki's game creation style is very different from the industry's standard as he compared it to like waterfall vs agile development methodology. So basically these models are not final and they won't be final almost all the way to the end of game development...

Spaghetti

I remember listening to Ryan Payton a few years ago about how he meets with Yu Suzuki and one thing I found very interesting was when he explained that Yu Suzuki's game creation style is very different from the industry's standard as he compared it to like waterfall vs agile development methodology. So basically these models are not final and they won't be final almost all the way to the end of game development...
Yeah, but also... Yu Suzuki is literally going to be meeting fans next week.

There's no way this doesn't get back to him, and he genuinely does take the opinions of fans seriously from what I've heard from people who met him at events before.

Anyway, I updated my photoshop attempt slightly by adding the new model on the other end for comparison.

vIseI5S.jpg

I seriously think only minor changes are needed for Ryo to look right based on how quickly I slapped this together.

varsas

Neo Member
So, from that older thread, who's going to apologise to Ben Barrett first for calling him a hack over the suggestion that the Kickstarter wasn't going to cover the whole funding amount?
No one as they aren't funding the game development, only publishing and probably advertising.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Goofing around in Photoshop. Left it rough so I could show my working:

fLfJuNd.jpg

I dunno. I think it's close. The changes were pretty simple to make, so I've got no doubt YSnet will probably easily be able to make the right adjustments if they see fit. .

It's very close indeed. But from what I can see it's the eyes. They need to be a hair longer and more rounded on the sides. Also the eye balls need to be slightly further separated. If they fix the eyes it's gonna be a lot better.

is it? maybe i've missed a few things, the whole fiasco about sony's deal/publishing etc early on sparked a ton of negative stuff. awesome japan's handling of it all sucked but...wait, you & i have talked about this already, haven't we? haha

It is. Not everyone here is to have a hot take on Shenmue or platform war. I backed for the signed collector tier. Heck I backed the game on the very moment I saw "Now on Kickstarter" on the stream.

Then again, it doesnt change the feeling of how this picture slapped together feels cheap af. Now I'm still hopeful because at least Ryo is on right track. Just a few tweaks. Shenhua though... Weeeelp.

At least... We should see the game in a week.

Spaghetti

No one as they aren't funding the game development, only publishing and probably advertising.
We don't exactly know the details yet, but the poster you're replying to is being obtuse by ignoring that it was already known from the early days of the KS that additional funding was being provided - which was from Shibuya Productions to the tune of "several millions", and none of that was a secret, just everybody was obsessed with this false idea of Sony footing the bill.

Nobody needs to apologise to Ben Barrett anyway, because he didn't bother to do the research in the first place. He was on about something daft saying "the bulk of development costs will be covered by Sony" or something like that based entirely on conjecture.

I don't care if he's still salty about being called out for not doing his job properly.

Let it go, Ben.

It's very close indeed. But from what I can see it's the eyes. They need to be a hair longer and more rounded on the sides. Also the eye balls need to be slightly further separated. If they fix the eyes it's gonna be a lot better.
Basically. The nose is slightly too long too, but as changes go these are minuscule. It's within spitting distance of being just right.

There wouldn't be a PC version if it was a full Sony game. And Yu Suzuki has a French company partner involved as well..

So, that happens I mean various people published the likes of FF7/8 and there have been countless games published by different crops in parts of the world or by difference publishers for each different platform.

SONY just used the game and Yu Suzuki and can't be bothered to fund the game or even publish it. Shameful and with out the likes of serious funds from SONY or SEGA. Shenmue III is going to be nothing more than a crushing disappointment when the game will never live up to the originals

UrbanRats

I think Ryo looks alright already (though I don't like the new hair render style).
What worries me about the graphics is the amount of eye bleeding Bloom and saturation in everything they've shown.

It always looks like a purple nuke is going off in the distance.

jcjimher

SONY just used the game and Yu Suzuki and can't be bothered to fund the game or even publish it. Shameful and with out the likes of serious funds from SONY or SEGA. Shenmue III is going to be nothing more than a crushing disappointment when the game will never live up to the originals

Well, even if you were right and Sony was not going to be bothered with the game anymore, I think it would end up being a fair exchange. The exposure Shenmue III got by being on that E3 conference and forming part of the "trifecta" was worth a lot of $$$ in marketing, and was key to the Kickstarter shattering records IMO.

It's sad that you already think the game is going to be a "crushing disappointment", but hey, if your expectation of "living up to the originals" is industry-leading production values, then you better start preparing for disappointment.

Myself, getting a charming middle-budget game, knowing what happens after that cave cliffhanger, and listening to some of that 70% of the music that was composed but unused in the first 2 games is more than enough to bring a smile to my face.

Spaghetti

What worries me about the graphics is the amount of eye bleeding Bloom and saturation in everything they've shown.

It always looks like a purple nuke is going off in the distance.
It's probably because it's a shot of dawn breaking over the water. Seems the same with the shot of the Great Wall, although that might be a sunset actually.

We'll maybe see next week what the game looks like in general daytime conditions, but as far as these go, they're pretty atmospheric. Choubu's harbour looks immense. It's going to be cool getting off the boat and looking up at the rising stretch of buildings leading into the main town.

Saturation though, is just part of the look. Shenmue II had really saturated colours, and III seems to be in-keeping with that, right down to stuff like heavy blue hues in the shadows.

Here's my fix. I made him look slightly more Asian and adjusted some of the pixels. I think this is acceptable.
That looks nothing like Ryo!

Because he is a perpetual :mad: faced revenge-lovin' kung fu boy.

UrbanRats

It's probably because it's a shot of dawn breaking over the water. Seems the same with the shot of the Great Wall, although that might be a sunset actually.

We'll maybe see next week what the game looks like in general daytime conditions, but as far as these go, they're pretty atmospheric. Choubu's harbour looks immense. It's going to be cool getting off the boat and looking up at the rising stretch of buildings leading into the main town.

Saturation though, is just part of the look. Shenmue II had really saturated colours, and III seems to be in-keeping with that, right down to stuff like heavy blue hues in the shadows.

One of the things i didn't like about Shenmue 2 compared to 1, back in the day.
Art direction is gonna come down to personal preference anyway, but usually, i like a more naturalistic approach to colors.
Curious to see the actual gameplay tho.

I think next week's official reveal at Gamescom with actual promo assets from YSNet that have probably been planned for months in advance and supposedly include a trailer, or something close to one, will be a better barometer and gauge as to how the game truly is progressing, as opposed to two hastily put together images for the purposes of announcing a publishing deal.

Shenmue 3 looked fucking great last time I checked (Magic Monaco, 2016). I'm sure we'll be as equally blown away next week.

The environments in the new images, on their own, look fucking incredible.

Spaghetti

I think next week's official reveal at Gamescom with actual promo assets from YSNet that have probably been planned for months in advance and supposedly include a trailer, or something close to one, will be a better barometer and gauge as to how the game truly is progressing, as opposed to two hastily put together images for the purposes of announcing a publishing deal.

Shenmue 3 looked fucking great last time I checked (Magic Monaco, 2016). I'm sure we'll be as equally blown away next week.

The environments in the new images, on their own, look fucking incredible.
Yeah. It seems silly there are people in this thread writing off a whole game based on promo art when there's literally going to be footage released in a matter of days.

And even then, the game still has a year to a year and a half left in development.

It's not even that people are quick to judge or just plain superficial, but the desire for schadenfreude by some posters is sad and pathetic.

Yeah. It seems silly there are people in this thread writing off a whole game based on promo art when there's literally going to be footage released in a matter of days.

And even then, the game still has a year to a year and a half left in development.

It's not even that people are quick to judge or just plain superficial, but the desire for schadenfreude by some posters is sad and pathetic.

Yeah man. Looking back over the Magic Monaco screenshots from February 2016, the game looked vivid, beautiful and extremely impressive. This was from very early in development too, representing something like ~8 months of work and the game looked stunning. The next media we're set to see should surpass this build and look even better, so there's no need for doom and gloom IMO. If the game looked that impressive back then, it's going to look even better now given so much development time has passed.

There's been positivity from Shenmue fans since the game's announcement, but also this dark cloud of negative sentiment that has existed from the very beginning from those that seem enamoured with the idea of the game failing and I think we're seeing embers of that in this thread.

IMO we have every reason to be optimistic and positive. The game looked absolutely amazing when it was last shown, so we should be blown away next week.

ajim

As a huge Shenmue fan I still think it's OK for people to critique what we see of the game, even if it isn't out of development for a long time.

And I feel the criticism or the facial models is fair enough, whilst the environments are looking pretty shmick, a main character like shenhua looking like that is a bit rough.

Interesting tho, they hired that Shenmue fan (kid something? I forget) who has built some awesome 3d renders of Ryo and Shenmue himself with more accurate Ryo models. He definitely can do it, so this must be a stylistic and design decision to have them represented like this?

Either way, I'm super excited and hope the showing goes awesome

addik

I don't know, guys, the impression I got from that poster was someone going, "Wait, that Deep Silver news is going to the presses today? Get whatever model you can, paste it in photoshop and add some text and proceed with making the game."

The models look a bit off, but the real test is when they re-reveal the game this week. We will finally get to see how the game is by then.

dci260

Anyway, I updated my photoshop attempt slightly by adding the new model on the other end for comparison.

vIseI5S.jpg

I seriously think only minor changes are needed for Ryo to look right based on how quickly I slapped this together.

Those tweaks really do go a long way to making him look better. Here's hoping that they do infact adjust Ryo's chin/forehead and tweak the colors similarly to your rendition! However, what really needs work is Shenhua's model; though, it has been significantly improved since the reveal, so I have faith. To be fair, though, my only experience with this series is through watching the movie that came with Shenmue 2, so my opinion doesn't really matter as much.
Something I wish to rectify with a possible HD Collection.

Spaghetti

Yeah man. Looking back over the Magic Monaco screenshots from February 2016, the game looked vivid, beautiful and extremely impressive. This was from very early in development too, representing something like ~8 months of work and the game looked stunning. The next media we're set to see should surpass this build and look even better, so there's no need for doom and gloom IMO. If the game looked that impressive back then, it's going to look even better now given so much development time has passed.
Yeah. The game has a style and aesthetic that's been coming together since we started seeing bits of the prototype in late 2015, and you know, parts of that are likely still going to evolve until the game comes out in mid-late 2018. At the very least the game has another year in the oven. If the development of the game's look continues with this upward trajectory, then I think we're in for something special.

They're drawing from some really great source material too; with Guilin, Fenghuang, and the tulous, etc.

I think this glimpse of Choubu and that image of the Great Wall (if that's what it is) are really evocative of what Shenmue is about; a grand journey through China. Just look at the bottom of the port of Choubu, and how the buildings rise up as you head to the mouth of the town. It must look huge and imposing from right at the bottom. Entering Choubu for the first time might be III's equivalent of Ryo looking up at Kowloon from outside the front gate to Dragon Street. That stuff is looking to be completely on-point.

As a huge Shenmue fan I still think it's OK for people to critique what we see of the game, even if it isn't out of development for a long time.

And I feel the criticism or the facial models is fair enough, whilst the environments are looking pretty shmick, a main character like shenhua looking like that is a bit rough.

Interesting tho, they hired that Shenmue fan (kid something? I forget) who has built some awesome 3d renders of Ryo and Shenmue himself with more accurate Ryo models. He definitely can do it, so this must be a stylistic and design decision to have them represented like this?

Either way, I'm super excited and hope the showing goes awesome
KidNocon, you're referring to. He's working on environments rather than character models.

In all honesty? I think that's probably for the best. His Hazuki Dojo rendition in UE4 is stunning, but his Ryo model just never reached the same heights personally.

As for more-accurate, well, this is sort of a different topic, but Ryo has had several looks through in-game models and promo art, so accuracy is kind of shaky ground when it comes to a genuine consensus. One fan might think the promo art Ryo is accurate, another might think the Passport model, and another the in-game model, y'know?

For Shenmue III, it looks like the decision was taken that the in-game Ryo would be the basis for the new model. It is a perfectly logical choice, when you think that it's the look all fans would be the most familiar with. It's just that a few small changes may be required to nail the look. As you can see in my quick-ass Photoshop job, minor proportional changes and altering the skin tone would go a long, long way to solidly standing as a modern iteration of that DC model.

Those tweaks really do go a long way to making him look better. Here's hoping that they do infact adjust Ryo's chin/forehead and tweak the colors similarly to your rendition!
Thanks!

I'm fairly confident YSnet will get around to tinkering with the model. There's no indication this is final, and especially not with another year to a year and a half left before release. We've kind of been spoiled by AAA games with highly stage-managed reveals where a lot of the aesthetics have been solidified (even if the game itself could be a mess outside a vertical slice), so it may be a shock to the system for some to have to deal with a game that progresses and improves its look as development goes on.

Yeah. The game has a style and aesthetic that's been coming together since we started seeing bits of the prototype in late 2015, and you know, parts of that are likely still going to evolve until the game comes out in mid-late 2018. At the very least the game has another year in the oven. If the development of the game's look continues with this upward trajectory, then I think we're in for something special.

They're drawing from some really great source material too; with Guilin, Fenghuang, and the tulous, etc.

I think this glimpse of Choubu and that image of the Great Wall (if that's what it is) are really evocative of what Shenmue is about; a grand journey through China. Just look at the bottom of the port of Choubu, and how the buildings rise up as you head to the mouth of the town. It must look huge and imposing from right at the bottom. Entering Choubu for the first time might be III's equivalent of Ryo looking up at Kowloon from outside the front gate to Dragon Street. That stuff is looking to be completely on-point.

KidNocon, you're referring to. He's working on environments rather than character models.

In all honesty? I think that's probably for the best. His Hazuki Dojo rendition in UE4 is stunning, but his Ryo model just never reached the same heights personally.

As for more-accurate, well, this is sort of a different topic, but Ryo has had several looks through in-game models and promo art, so accuracy is kind of shaky ground when it comes to a genuine consensus. One fan might think the promo art Ryo is accurate, another might think the Passport model, and another the in-game model, y'know?

For Shenmue III, it looks like the decision was taken that the in-game Ryo would be the basis for the new model. It is a perfectly logical choice, when you think that it's the look all fans would be the most familiar with. It's just that a few small changes may be required to nail the look. As you can see in my quick-ass Photoshop job, minor proportional changes and altering the skin tone would go a long, long way to solidly standing as a modern iteration of that DC model.

Thanks!

I'm fairly confident YSnet will get around to tinkering with the model. There's no indication this is final, and especially not with another year to a year and a half left before release. We've kind of been spoiled by AAA games with highly stage-managed reveals where a lot of the aesthetics have been solidified (even if the game itself could be a mess outside a vertical slice), so it may be a shock to the system for some to have to deal with a game that progresses and improves its look as development goes on.

I dont think the problem is about Passport/CGI/ingame models. It's just that the models have a bad direction here. For Ryo though, it's close. But as I said, skin tone, hair color, jacket color needs to change. And a few traits tweak.

As for Shenhua... It just look painfully bad. She looks neither close to her CGI model or her ingame model. The difference between cgi and ingame model was about the face and cheeks. But here ? Skin tone. Eyebrows. Eyes. Face. Hair. Hair color. Clothing. Everything changed to the point I'm even wondering if she's another character than Shenhua.

fvng

Sega never held IP / Publishing rights? Wtf

Nevermind I just read on Wikipedia that sega licensed the game to Suzuki and his game studio

Elios83

I like the environments and Ryo's model.
Shenhua looks bad. Her eyebrows are too curved and thin. They should aim for the model used in this render:
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/bb/be/29/bbbe2923b0595a1fbd2e84592855730b---life-anime-girls.jpg

Btw they have all the time to tweak the models, the thing I'm more interested about is finding out how the whole game is shaping up.
Are they going to showcase a trailer at gamescom? I hope Yu Suzuki is not going there just for a meet and greet....

Top Bottom