• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue III to be published by Deep Silver, details for Gamescom meet and greet

If these are the final models, I'm a little surprised they chose to unveil them like this. They've been so secretive about them and there's been so much anticipation in the fan community, I thought for sure they would hold off until the first trailer. Instead, they just released them nonchalantly in a promo shot that frankly looks rather hastily assembled.

Breakage

DHajK22UIAAOYbB.jpg:large

Ryo model looks closer to the original than Shen Hua who looks like a different character altogether. I think Ryo's hair could do with some more hair gel; it's lost that distinctive spikey look. They seem to be pressing ahead with this Fable-esque fantasy art direction and I'm not a fan of it. The visuals in the first two games had a dirty realism aesthetic and that seems to have been abandoned with Shenmue 3. Ryo's jacket, for example, lacks that lived-in look; it's just so flat. The new logo, while better than the initial reveal logo, is inferior to the classic Shenmue logo.

_Ryo_

Hey. The Many people saying Shenhua looks unfaithful should definiyely maybe take into account that just like Ryo she may go through certain stages of appearance throughout the story of the game and this is how she looks when shes out in the big populated areas. There could also be a time skip where with Ryo is training and its how she will look then. Spoiler: Thats not to mention it might be because of a heavily rumored about secret ability that she may or may not have.

Also Shenhua looks like a slightly different person in every single piece of PR she was ever in. It seems pretty disingenious to say she doesnt look normal when she doesnt have a normal look in PR images.

Hey. The Many people saying Shenhua looks unfaithful should definiyely maybe take into account that just like Ryo she may go through certain stages of appearance throughout the story of the game and this is how she looks when shes out in the big populated areas. There could also be a time skip where with Ryo is training and its how she will look then. Spoiler: Thats not to mention it might be because of a heavily rumored about secret ability that she may or may not have.

Also Shenhua looks like a slightly different person in every single piece of PR she was ever in. It pretty disingenious to say she doesnt look normal when she doesnt have a normal look in PR images.

Maybe she had plastic surgery. :")

Also Shenhua looks like a slightly different person in every single piece of PR she was ever in. It seems pretty disingenious to say she doesnt look normal when she doesnt have a normal look in PR images.

What secret ability would that be, shapeshifter?

Kiske

My personal tweaking attempt at the "new Ryo".

CAvBSZ3.jpg

This new model released today is a huge improvement.

Just remember the original model from the Kickstarter.

9b4f386a1619ba866c2e26c3b579b0c9_original.jpg

NekoFever

Shenhua's really the only element of that I'm ambivalent towards.

Ryo looks OK, the environment looks awesome and I can't wait to explore it, and the new logo (assuming that is the actual logo) I like - it's different to the original and isn't fucking Papyrus.

Can I just have my atmospheric game with Yu's fighting system in it please? I'm not going to get hung up on the models. I would have taken the reveal trailer models if it meant getting the best Shenmue 3 he could have made with what he had.

lupinko

I wonder why Sony didnt step up to publish it?
Weird.

- Sony doesn't own the IP
- Yu Suzuki already had the Monaco Partner prior
- Sony is involved in some capacity for the PS4 version due to Cerny and Boyes, probably also why the only console it's slated for is PS4
- Sega still owns Shenmue at the end of the day and are just doing a favour for an old friend in Yu Suzuki

gafneo

Banned
That logo is Sega Master system bad. That Ryu model looks strait out of Wonder Boy. Something odd about this art. Doesn't have that Yu Suzuki touch.

Ryo is fine. Will probably be finer by 2019, when this game will actually be released.
More like Shenhuwhat.

Scrolled down and saw the old Ryo model. lol oh god

AHK_Hero

A user at Shenmue Dojo posted this higher res composition of the new models:

New_RYO_SHENHUA.png

Of course everything in the world can be improved, but I really like them. And with the budget and time constraints a game like this has, I think these are more than enough and they should focus their resources in other areas of the game.

This looks significantly better than the vibe the mock-up cover art gives off. Ryo is coming along well, but Shenhua's face seems a bit off to me. I think it's her eyes maybe? Either way doesn't look much like her.

Some real overreactions going on here though I think. Plenty of time for the project to come together. I mean we haven't even really seen anything yet.

Spaghetti

Lol. People aren't complaining because he does look like the Dreamcast iteration. People complain because he doesn't look like his Dreamcast iteration.

And Shenhua is even worse !

How does this:

Looks like this:

As I said, Ryo is on right track and needs additional tweaks. But the problem remains the direction, in which they made the character less asian. And Shenhua looks like a totally different person.

Heck, is that even Shenhua ???
You're being obtuse, and on purpose I think.

I literally posted a picture earlier in this thread of promo art from the Dreamcast era that was a cleaned up version of the model from the original Shenmue, and it looks pretty aesthetically close to this new model. It was also the same promo art photoshopped onto that screen from December too, so CLEARLY the intention of YSnet was to replicate that look.

That image you posted? Ryo never looked like that in-game, but I notice you carefully glossed over the part of my post where I talked about how inconsistent the CG art was for the original games; developing a number of looks for Ryo that nobody can agree on as the ideal. Well here we have a reinvention of the DC model. It's the look of Ryo players spent time with, so I respect their decision to go that way, because it's perfectly logical to do so.

And if you've been reading my posts, I've said Shenhua does not look right. Improved over 2015 sure, but a bit dead eyed. Might be just a bad shot but IDK. Ironically the image you posted is the closest to the Shenhua design they've shown, as they share the same dainty, sharpish features as opposed to her Dreamcast models with rounded youthful features instead.

It's a mountain out of a molehill. I can understand non-fans coming in to give their shitty hot takes based on a single piece of key art, but fans need to get a grip and understand why this was done.

This is my most wanted game but man is that artwork awful. And the logo looks like a right-handed person trying to write with their left hand (or vice versa).

You're being obtuse, and on purpose I think.

I literally posted a picture earlier in this thread of promo art from the Dreamcast era that was a cleaned up version of the model from the original Shenmue, and it looks pretty aesthetically close to this new model. It was also the same promo art photoshopped onto that screen from December too, so CLEARLY the intention of YSnet was to replicate that look.

That image you posted? Ryo never looked like that in-game, but I notice you carefully glossed over the part of my post where I talked about how inconsistent the CG art was for the original games; developing a number of looks for Ryo that nobody can agree on as the ideal. Well here we have a reinvention of the DC model. It's the look of Ryo players spent time with, so I respect their decision to go that way, because it's perfectly logical to do so.

And if you've been reading my posts, I've said Shenhua does not look right. Improved over 2015 sure, but a bit dead eyed. Might be just a bad shot but IDK. Ironically the image you posted is the closest to the Shenhua design they've shown, as they share the same dainty, sharpish features as opposed to her Dreamcast models with rounded youthful features instead.

It's a mountain out of a molehill. I can understand non-fans coming in to give their shitty hot takes based on a single piece of key art, but fans need to get a grip and understand why this was done.

And you seem to be missing the point: Even with CGI inconsistencies, they had a good looking design. These designs look cheap knockoff.

And no, these two Shenhua picture looks nothing like each others. Sure, the old CGI one has a slimmer face, but it still shares the same face. The new one looks a totally different person and as I said, they just look like westernised versions of these characters.

Anteater

it's the eyes and the lighting

shenhua needs work

but mostly the terrible design of that image that makes it look like some asian straight to vhs movie poster from the 70s

but honestly who gives a shit until they show actual gameplay

Spaghetti

And you seem to be missing the point: Even with CGI inconsistencies, they had a good looking design. These designs look cheap knockoff.

And no, these two Shenhua picture looks nothing like each others. Sure, the old CGI one has a slimmer face, but it still shares the same face. The new one looks a totally different person and as I said, they just look like westernised versions of these characters.
We're getting absolutely nowhere with this, and honestly, I don't think either of us want to be talking in circles about this. You've got your opinion, and I've got mine, and they just don't match up.

I really have to pull up the cheap knockoff comment though. You can literally trace the lineage of the new Ryo model to his Dreamcast one. It's right fuckin' there. It was clearly the design intent, and they have fulfilled it. You don't even have to scroll up much to see the comparison to the E3 2015 models which DID look like cheap knock-offs, and how much better they are now.

Shit. They're not perfect but this act like they're an affront to god is getting ridiculous.

What if Sony went silence because they know the final product is not gonna be good?
There is literally a quote from a Sony rep in the press release and they are still involved in the project, if you'd bother to read the OP. Don't be a driveby shitposter, man. Especially not with something easily found in the first post.

Blugrass

Totally thought Sega was publishing this. Always viewed Shenmue as their golden child so I was pretty surprised by this development.

_Ryo_

Totally thought Sega was publishing this. Always viewed Shenmue as their golden child so I was pretty surprised by this development.

Sega wouldnt even pay to develop the game and let it sit idle for 15 years. Why the fuck would they publish it?

Spaghetti

From the publisher that gave you Ride to Hell: Retribution
And Persona 5. And Yakuza Kiwami.

See how dumb that is?

Really looking forward to a trailer or gameplay clip because I can see all of this coming together pretty nicely
Yes. Next week should give us more to chew on than this image, and maybe finally put some spotlight on the thing mostly being ignored; the environments.

Still catching up on reading this thread but my quick thoughts on the screens would be that the environments look stunning and beautiful, really vivid and wonderful with depth and ambience, demonstrating Kid Nocon's incredible influence, but the updated models still need some work. Ryo and Shenhua don't look quite right, and honestly Shenhua looks like a downgrade. There's still time to tweak them however. As for Deep Silver's involvement, guess this is good news? Would rather have a more heavyweight publisher behind the game however, such as Sony or Sega.

Looking forward to seeing much more at Gamescom. Hoping for a trailer, or something close to one.

I think the models are probably OK, though the way they're lit looks weird.

The box art or promo image or whatever that is as a whole, though? It's really bad.

And Persona 5. And Yakuza Kiwami.

See how dumb that is?

No, they didn't bring us Persona 5 or Yakuza Kiwami. They localized titles that they had nothing to do with the development of. Do we credit Ghostlight for SMT Nocturne (Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series!) now? And it's generally agreed around here that Trails in the Sky is a Falcom game, not an XSEED game.

Ride to Hell, Agents of Mayhem, Gat out of Hell, Dead Island, Homefront: The Revolution, Mighty No. 9, various PirhannaBytes games, and many, many more - These are all things that were developed under the editorial oversight, funding, and worldwide publishing of Deep Silver, and all turned out as janky pieces of garbage that were critically panned.

No, they didn't bring us Persona 5 or Yakuza Kiwami. They localized titles that they had nothing to do with the development of. Do we credit Ghostlight for SMT Nocturne (Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series!) now? And it's generally agreed around here that Trails in the Sky is a Falcom game, not an XSEED game.

Ride to Hell, Agents of Mayhem, Gat out of Hell, Dead Island, Homefront: The Revolution, Mighty No. 9, various PirhannaBytes games, and many, many more - These are all things that were developed under the editorial oversight, funding, and worldwide publishing of Deep Silver, and all turned out as janky pieces of garbage that were critically panned.
I doubt Suzuki would just let someone come in and tell him how to make Shenmue 3.

I agree they have a checkered quality history, but they're coming on very late in the creative process, with the game's scenario planning completed last year. I doubt they can have much impact on the direction development takes at this point, besides that awful new logo that I absolutely hate with the fire of 10,000 suns.

kunonabi

This ryo may be trying for the DC model but it isnt pulling it off which is the problem. Hopefully it gets there by release.

mas8705

Are we at a point yet where we can make jokes about Deep Silver yet? I would like to see if we can start using this if possible.

YLd3gqU.gif

Jokes aside, it will be nice to see the progress made on Shenmue III hopefully at Gamescom next week.

A user at Shenmue Dojo posted this higher res composition of the new models:

New_RYO_SHENHUA.png

Of course everything in the world can be improved, but I really like them. And with the budget and time constraints a game like this has, I think these are more than enough and they should focus their resources in other areas of the game.
Much better than the placeholder cover from the press release.

Top Bottom